[HOW-TO] Fix soft brick & error mounting sdcard

Search This thread

kearneyman

Jul 6, 2012
Austin
I have tried pretty much everything in this thread, unlocking relocking, standard recoveries, factory reset so on, just cannot get into recovery, after install recovery twrp or clockwork mod, i get white screen for a while then 1 restart back to white screen then blackscreen and nothing, i have to hold hte power button down to get the phone off...

can anyone help? i can do adb and fastboot commands but cannot get any further with installing a recovery, thanks

First you must relock the phone

Get into Fastboot. For me, I have to turn off phone, then then with the volume down button held, press the power button.

Connect the phone to your computer and issue the following command
Code:
fastboot oem lock

The KEY if you have T-Mobile HTC One S is you must find this RUU
RUU_Ville_U_JB_45_S_TMOUS_3.14.531.11_Radio_1.13.50.05.31_10.30.50.08L_release_309489_signed_ICS_2

I believe I got mine from a link here. Try this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2200930

Turn your phone off or put it in fastboot and run the RUU. The RUU only works on Windows 7. I couldn't get my XP machine to work at all

amac7079

Jul 14, 2013
Relocking phone before flashing recovery back to stock

Thanks for the info as I am having this issue now. However, to flash my recovery back to stock using the All-in-One-Kit, I need to relock my bootloader and I have not been do it from the command prompt. How were you able to flash the recovery?

I am using HTC One S the has CM10.0 and using CWM 6.0.2.1 (I was trying to install 10.1 but apparently 10.1 requires a different kernel and I soft bricked phone in the process. I can get to the HTC menu showing unlocked etc but CWM cannot mount sd card.)

Yes, I just fixed my problem yesterday after some serious trial-and-error.

1) Use the All-in-One-Kit and flash your recovery back to stock

2) Boot into the bootloader and choose to "clear storage" and afterwards to reset to factory defaults.

3) Go back to the all-in-one-kit and flash a CWM recovery version again.

4) Reboot into recovery (CWM). Your /sdcard should now be mounted and visible.

5) Now, try the UTB rom (it worked for me), rename the zip file to something short (i.e. utb.zip), and push it to the sdcard using adb as follows:

Code:
adb push utb.zip /sdcard

6) While still in CWM, flash the zip.

The trick here is that only the stock recovery is capable of restoring access to the sdcard by it's proprietary "clear storage" option.

Good luck!

-J

amac7079

Jul 14, 2013
Relocking bootloader and using right RUU

I have sorted my questions and since it was a challenge to find that first step that needs to be done to relock the bootloader, I am leaving this follow up that may help some other noobs if they find similar issues. As a noob, the only thing that I was certain was that my soft brick could be recovered, I just wasn't sure that I could.

a) it helped me when I matched the RUU file to carrier, country and RADIO and there a couple of good links to mirrors in the threads. The RADIO version will be on your fastboot screen at the top which simplifies which RUU you need to restore your phone after you relock the phone.

a note) also other noobs may not know but your phone still charges so make sure that you take time to keep it charged. if the power goes during a restore operation, a soft brick can become permanent.

b) Relocking was a challenge when I was having a hard time keeping it on the fastboot screen as phone kept going to CWM which was useless since SIM was unmounted which is why I was relocking to run oem to remount SIM. HTC Sync was not useful either. Downloaded HTC Driver exe file and then shift right clicked to on folder with fastboot file to run the relock command.

c) Once phone relocked, ran RUU in my case with RADIO1-08ts.50.02.16 for TMOUS. I tried this a few times but in the sequence it was only done once after I did step b) and it worked perfectly. After phone booted back into stock ROM my phone service was not working but that is a carrier issue. Seeing and having to work with the stock ROM reminded me how lucky I have been to have been running custom ROM's and recovery for the past year.

d) Since I probably deleted my original unlock token, went to HTCDEV and quickly got new token and unlocked with no problems.

Now I am flashing new recovery and am on my way back from a trying soft brick experience.

Thanks for the info as I am having this issue now. However, to flash my recovery back to stock using the All-in-One-Kit, I need to relock my bootloader and I have not been do it from the command prompt. How were you able to flash the recovery?

I am using HTC One S the has CM10.0 and using CWM 6.0.2.1 (I was trying to install 10.1 but apparently 10.1 requires a different kernel and I soft bricked phone in the process. I can get to the HTC menu showing unlocked etc but CWM cannot mount sd card.)

ninetynemo

Aug 9, 2012
SD card not mountable

Hello guys,

I'm pretty new to the scene and my device is currently stuck between ROMS.
I had cm-10.0.0-ville installed and running smoothly when I decided to use the build-in updater.. this is where things went wrong.
Upon the reboot he failed on the MD5 check. To make things worse: no nandroid.

When I wanted to re-flash my original .zip (pushed it through adb), I received the SD unmountable error.
So now I wanna try and fix it with the all in one tool. But I'm not quite sure which RUU to take.

This is my info:
C:\Android>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 2.15.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.15.50.05.29
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) product: vle
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8960
(bootloader) modelid: PJ4010000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__E11
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3848mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-64bedd38
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.069s

Last edited:

khan.orak

Jun 26, 2012
Peshawar
Hello guys,

I had cm-10.0.0-ville installed and running smoothly when I decided to use the build-in updater.. this is where things went wrong.

When I wanted to re-flash my original .zip (pushed it through adb), I received the SD unmountable error.
So now I wanna try and fix it with the all in one tool. But I'm not quite sure which RUU to take.

This is my info:

Please mask your device serial number and IMEI as it can be used for dangerous purposes

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

khan.orak

Jun 26, 2012
Peshawar
Hello guys,

This is my info:

HTC_E11 is for HTC Dutch. Dutch telecom?? That's what this list says http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2139447&highlight=cid+list

Using the heads up, you may want to search for the correct RUU

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Oct 21, 2010

2) Boot into the bootloader and choose to "clear storage" and afterwards to reset to factory defaults.

5) Now, try the UTB rom (it worked for me), rename the zip file to something short (i.e. utb.zip), and push it to the sdcard using adb as follows:

Code:
adb push ut'stocb.zip /sdcard

The trick here is that only the stock recovery is capable of restoring access to the sdcard by it's proprietary "clear storage" option.

Good luck!

-J

'
I have tried multiple stock recoveries and none of them have the option for "clear storage" . Could you please post the recovery you used?

Thanks!

jdiebert

Jul 31, 2013
nOOb alert

Hi everyone,

So I have an HTC One S with Virgin Mobile here in Canada. Since I have successfully hacked both PSP's and iPod's I thought it would be fun to try and hack my phone...not so much...Using Hansoon's All-In-One tool I successfully unlocked and rooted the phone, however, when I flashed to cyanogenmod 10.0 and restarted the phone just stayed on the cyanogenmod loading screen and didn't do anything. After reading a few posts in these forums I followed some directions to try and recover. To my surprise my sdcard was completely wiped out, the directory doesn't even exsist anymore. So something I did during this process erased everything on my phone including my backup and recovery files.

So following the steps listed in this thread I was able to find a RUU zip for my phone and I've attempted to restore the original image but with no luck. I am unable to mount the sdcard in order to push a file. I was able to use the RUU file and Hansoon's tool to attempt a flash but the process fails the signature check and will not continue.

I'm desperate at this point and before I take it to the local cell phone recovery place and spend a bunch of money i don't have I'd rather find a fix I can do myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated I can provide any further information if need be.

tivofool

Jun 6, 2012
Hi everyone,

So I have an HTC One S with Virgin Mobile here in Canada. Since I have successfully hacked both PSP's and iPod's I thought it would be fun to try and hack my phone...not so much...Using Hansoon's All-In-One tool I successfully unlocked and rooted the phone, however, when I flashed to cyanogenmod 10.0 and restarted the phone just stayed on the cyanogenmod loading screen and didn't do anything. After reading a few posts in these forums I followed some directions to try and recover. To my surprise my sdcard was completely wiped out, the directory doesn't even exsist anymore. So something I did during this process erased everything on my phone including my backup and recovery files.

So following the steps listed in this thread I was able to find a RUU zip for my phone and I've attempted to restore the original image but with no luck. I am unable to mount the sdcard in order to push a file. I was able to use the RUU file and Hansoon's tool to attempt a flash but the process fails the signature check and will not continue.

I'm desperate at this point and before I take it to the local cell phone recovery place and spend a bunch of money i don't have I'd rather find a fix I can do myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated I can provide any further information if need be.

If you were able to find the RUU .exe instead of zip you could just relock your bootloader and run the .exe.

petercuv

May 23, 2011
Blackburn
I too am having the same problem on a HTC Desire(Bravo), I do not have CWM Recovery But I Have TWRP and I cannot mount sdcard. Could you please tell me where I can download the All In One Kit from please. Thanking you in advance.

dragonspit

Aug 14, 2013
RUU exe to go back to stock - the only option

Actually, the all in one tool didnt help me at all. I had a soft brick after successfully unlocking the phone using HTC dev and flashing Clockwork/TWRP recovery. Couldnt get past that stage because of the "failed to mount /sdcard" errors. I spent the last 20 hours trying every combination of options to get the phone to live again, to no avail. Finally, the only thing that did work was this:

1. relock the phone
2. flash stock recovery
3. download and run appriate RUU executable (not zip).

In the process of running the RUU everything got fixed and I am back to a clean "factory reset" state of phone.

Incidentally, trying to run RUU.zip from the All In One Tool didnt work either... I've read some success stories on this forum, but for me the tool turned out to be a flop.

Hope this helps someone!

roluc

Aug 1, 2008
Wierden
I have also tried many times to unbrick mine htc one s. I Did not work. Untill i tried something different at step 3.

At this point it is very improtant not to flash the recovery "Clock WorkMod Touch" instead you have to flash TWRP S4.

Now you will be able to mount and format the sd card. You can sent one or more rom's to the sd card.
And you will be able to install them.

Good luck

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

Actually, the all in one tool didnt help me at all. I had a soft brick after successfully unlocking the phone using HTC dev and flashing Clockwork/TWRP recovery. Couldnt get past that stage because of the "failed to mount /sdcard" errors. I spent the last 20 hours trying every combination of options to get the phone to live again, to no avail. Finally, the only thing that did work was this:

1. relock the phone
2. flash stock recovery
3. download and run appriate RUU executable (not zip).

In the process of running the RUU everything got fixed and I am back to a clean "factory reset" state of phone.

Incidentally, trying to run RUU.zip from the All In One Tool didnt work either... I've read some success stories on this forum, but for me the tool turned out to be a flop.

Hope this helps someone!

To flash an stock recovery RUU succesfull, it is very important to look for an RUU with the same radio that is running on your device.
Good luck

Last edited:

devilsneck

Dec 8, 2008
New Delhi
I had the same problem when I accidentally selected factory reset instead of selecting recovery option in bootloader mode.
I just mounted my sd card in usb mode from twrp recovery and formatted it from my pc in fat32, copied a rom zip and flashed it!
Oh and I had to reflash the recovery via fastboot also before installing the rom zip.

zumri

Nov 17, 2011
Kandy
Hi friend I need your help

I was on htc stock rock I was bootloader unlocked it said Tampered and Unlocked and I was S-Off I had CWM installed I found out that if I fastboot boot.img i could flash custom roms so I downloaded a compatible Cyanogen Mod rom to my htc and then I followed the instructions here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1752270 to fastboot all went well but at the end the device didnt restart it got stuck in the htc screen where it says this build is only for some purpose and if we use it other than that some legal bla bla then i powered off and now my phone wouldnt start is my device bricked pls help me what can i do

spavodka

Oct 8, 2012
htc one s cannot mount or see internal sd card

Code:
adb push utb.zip /sdcard

Good luck!

-J

HELP. I need a way which will not format or delete photos from my internal sd card.
My PC cannot see internal storage of my HTC One S and cannot mount.
NOthing is working and sometimes it says there is some trouble with sd card or format sd card. And sometimes it says sd card is empty or not mounted.

HELP. yesterday took many pictures of my daughter birthday and they are all on the card.

gr,

WSW

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My problem is CWM can't mount the /sdcard directory, so I can't flash the new OS. Is there anybody that knows how to recover from that problem?

Code:
    adb push utb.zip /sdcard

Good luck!

-J
    EDIT: I solved my own problem. Scroll down to post #8 for the solution.

My problem was that my phone (T-Mobile USA HTC One S) would not boot into ICS anymore, but I was still able to get into recovery (CWM), yet I had no access to the sdcard ("unable to mount /sdcard").

Post #8 below tells you how you can restore access to the sdcard in CWM so that you can push a ROM zip file to the sdcard via adb.

-J
    If that doesn't work an easy fix is boot into bootloader, goto fastboot and use "fastboot flash boot boot.img" and so fouth. In the dev section I seen a stock tmobile naindroid. Download it and you'll have your data.img and boot.img. You should be able to flash them without needing to push to /sdcard. letme know how it works

I know you fixed this already just thought this still might help
    Hi,

The All in One kit no longer contains the stock recovery, where can I get this from?

Thanks

Russell

Yes ... where is the stock ROM for TMOUS 1.84? Searching is fruitless thus far. :(

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Found an old archive of all-in-one-kit-v1.0 ... extract use the stock recovery from in there. Just copy the stock_recovery.img file to your install directory for One_S_All-In-One_Kit_v1.1\data\recoveries\ and rename stock_recovery.img to recovery.img and flash with the tool as "Your own recovery".

http://www.mediafire.com/?xx7k6ejd0vrh2b5

Worked finally, using all steps in post 8, and just keep retrying the adb push when I got "protocol failure".
    Here is the stock recovery :good:

View attachment Recovery.zip
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone