How to fix unable to mount data internal storage 0mb in twrp permanently :

Sreedev s cruz

Sep 30, 2018
TWRP 0 MB in system, data, cache, internal storage

Anyone please help me i cant do anything in TWRP i cant wipe data, system, cache, cant wipe anything. If i try to format data it shows unable to mount storage i cant swap data file system ext4 to ext2 only i can do in TWRP is terminal i cannot mount system, data, cache. Is there ant way to fix this in TWRP terminal

vkspic

Jan 31, 2013
New Delhi
Thanx for sharing this very useful post sir.

But the steps I followed on my micromax a311 having twrp 2.8.7.0 and I always got error as unable to mount /data, /cache, /system etc.

Hope we all will get a solution soon.

Thanx again.
Keep posting.

akashjaiswal03

Dec 21, 2017
Thanks.

Note : This will wipe/format your Data partion and your data will be reset.

INSTRUCTIONS :

1) Reboot your device into TWRP Recovery.

2) Go to Wipe menu.

3) Go to Advance Wipe.

4) Select Data and go to Repair or Change File System.

5) Click Repair File System. (If not fix, go to step number 6)

6) Go to Change File System.

7) Select Ext2 and swipe to confirm.

8) Now change back to Ext4 and swipe to confirm.

9) Now go back and check if your partions can be mount or not from Mount menu.

10) If not fix, repair your Internal partition. (This may wipe your Internal storage).

OR Unlock your bootloader again.
Most of time samsung phones have this problem. This worked for my sm j400f.

Boga45

Jan 13, 2020
Thanx for sharing this very useful post sir.

But the steps I followed on my micromax a311 having twrp 2.8.7.0 and I always got error as unable to mount /data, /cache, /system etc.

Hope we all will get a solution soon.

Thanx again.
Keep posting.
This is occuring with TWRP 3.1.1 and 3.0.0 as well, I once replaced battery and issue got resolved maybe it's a battery problem. But unfortunately that got wet and i have to use my old battery and facing the issues constantly on lineage 14

trulyfurqan

Jun 11, 2020
How to Fix TWRP Unable to Mount Storage

1. The first thing to try is if somehow your internal storage became encrypted when using a legacy screen lock method.
  2. Go to your Android device’s Settings > Security > Screen Lock, and change your screen lock method to either Pass or Pin. Create a new one.
  3. Reboot into TWRP, and it should ask for a password – enter the pass or pin you just created.
  4. TWRP will attempt to decrypt your device’s internal storage, and if it succeeds, you should not have further issues. However, if this does not solve your issue of “unable to mount data, internal storage 0mb”, continue with the rest of this guide.
  5. Reboot your device into TWRP again.
  6. Navigate to Wipe > Advance Wipe > Data, and choose Repair or Change File System.
  7. Press Repair File System to see if this fixes the issue. If not, continue.
  8. Press Change File System, choose Ext2, and swipe to confirm.
  9. Now switch back to Ext4 and swipe to confirm.
  10. Go back to TWRP main menu, then the Mount menu, and check if your partitions can be mounted now.
  11. If you are still unable to mount your partitions, you need to repair Internal partition, which will most likely wipe your internal storage.

fhcwcsy

Aug 21, 2017
  1. The first thing to try is if somehow your internal storage became encrypted when using a legacy screen lock method.
  2. Go to your Android device’s Settings > Security > Screen Lock, and change your screen lock method to either Pass or Pin. Create a new one.
  3. Reboot into TWRP, and it should ask for a password – enter the pass or pin you just created.
  4. TWRP will attempt to decrypt your device’s internal storage, and if it succeeds, you should not have further issues. However, if this does not solve your issue of “unable to mount data, internal storage 0mb”, continue with the rest of this guide.
  5. Reboot your device into TWRP again.
  6. Navigate to Wipe > Advance Wipe > Data, and choose Repair or Change File System.
  7. Press Repair File System to see if this fixes the issue. If not, continue.
  8. Press Change File System, choose Ext2, and swipe to confirm.
  9. Now switch back to Ext4 and swipe to confirm.
  10. Go back to TWRP main menu, then the Mount menu, and check if your partitions can be mounted now.
  11. If you are still unable to mount your partitions, you need to repair Internal partition, which will most likely wipe your internal storage.
I tried this (and also tried formatting with fastboot). After those steps I can mount data partition but now my system can't boot. Any thought what I should do? Thanks!

Note: I did this after erasing system, userdata, cache and flashing the GSI image and the recovery with fastboot. My phone is Xperia XZs.

Adityakasera

Aug 1, 2020
Unable to change file system in twrp.

I am not able to format data in twrp. Not able to factory reset in twrp.
NOT able to change file system in twrp.
Again same and same message coming that unable to mount storage.
Failed to mount /system
Failed to mount /data

aswindroid

Aug 15, 2020
Note : This will wipe/format your Data partion and your data will be reset.

INSTRUCTIONS :

1) Reboot your device into TWRP Recovery.

2) Go to Wipe menu.

3) Go to Advance Wipe.

4) Select Data and go to Repair or Change File System.

5) Click Repair File System. (If not fix, go to step number 6)

6) Go to Change File System.

7) Select Ext2 and swipe to confirm.

8) Now change back to Ext4 and swipe to confirm.

9) Now go back and check if your partions can be mount or not from Mount menu.

10) If not fix, repair your Internal partition. (This may wipe your Internal storage).

OR Unlock your bootloader again.

This works but it seems i have to do this every time in get into twrp. Does anyone know the actual problem and could put forth a permanent solution.?
I am using a Redmi 5A[Riva].

Jaxxxev

Jan 18, 2014
This works but it seems i have to do this every time in get into twrp. Does anyone know the actual problem and could put forth a permanent solution.?
I am using a Redmi 5A[Riva].
i have same problem
after installing a rom, everytime i enter in twrp i see data dimension 0
any solution?
i set a pin to unlock phone

XakedowX

Oct 11, 2020
Same happened to me

Hi! I did this to my Axon 7 now my phone stuck at "Your device software can't be checked for corruption......" screen. The phone cannot be turned off and pressing power button also not making anything to the device. I afraid that my phone is bricked. Before booting, after I did changing the system file type, TWRP said that no OS installed and it is very weird. Maybe somebody can give me any advice.
Same happened to me too. My device is Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite . Your device software can't be checker for corruption it means u have unlocked ur bootloader. Also No OS installed. Well. There is no system basically. You wiped it. If you had backup for system . restore it. If not, you need to install ur device's rom again on your device. My device is Xiaomi so it was whole different for me. I just installed the flashlable rom thing and i used MiFlash Tool to flash it in my device. Your device is different so it will be a whole different story. Also if there is loop going through the bootanimation. There is delay like 2-3 seconds between the loops so you can open TWRP and bootloader . Good Luck solving your problem. I hope you will be able to fix it

Androiderz

Oct 26, 2012
Saint Paul
Some context here:

Device: Blu G80 Stock 9.0
CPU: MediaTek mt6763V Helio P23

Twrp recovery is not available for this device so had to use Android Kitchen to port and merge with the stock recovery. I made three different test recoveries based on three similar devices. 1st recovery failed...everything - went as far as to reflash stock, re-unlock bootloader, and re-flash twrp - still nothing. However, the 2nd recovery did work by changing file sytem to EXT2 and then back to EXT4. Ill post link to the twrp port that worked:

stock + port: https://dl.twrp.me/one_max/twrp-3.5.0_9-0-one_max.img.html - successful

hope this helps

#Rooty_Mikes#

Feb 17, 2021
Georgia, USA
Some context here:

Device: Blu G80 Stock 9.0
CPU: MediaTek mt6763V Helio P23

Twrp recovery is not available for this device so had to use Android Kitchen to port and merge with the stock recovery. I made three different test recoveries based on three similar devices. 1st recovery failed...everything - went as far as to reflash stock, re-unlock bootloader, and re-flash twrp - still nothing. However, the 2nd recovery did work by changing file sytem to EXT2 and then back to EXT4. Ill post link to the twrp port that worked:

stock + port: https://dl.twrp.me/one_max/twrp-3.5.0_9-0-one_max.img.html - successful

hope this helps
And one of the biggest issues with porting people will face is twrp decrypting the data. If you have this issue the best way to fix this is while in twrp; wipe data, system,dalvik,cache. Re-flash system .img then wipe data,dalvik,cache. Re-flash your ported TWRP .img repeated by wiping data,dalvik,cache again and everything should be fine! If you encounter an endless "symbolic link error" while in the terminal might want to cross check your ramdisk prop files that you ported and make sure everything is correct.

Last edited: