How to flash a AT&T Galaxy S9 SM-G960U with a T-Mobile Stock Rom?

Search This thread

oscar786

Feb 15, 2008
Detroit MI
If you check Updato, SamFirm, or Samsung Science, you want the firmware usually tagged XAA. This one from Updato, although labeled USC, is actually the XAA with the v3 bootloader. Any firmware you flash after this point though will need to have the v3 bootloader or newer.

So flashing this V3 bootlader will work. As per your advice and my understanding is I be chosin only BL, AP, CP, CSC not the userdata in U1 and Tmobile ROM. am I right? Thansk again

oscar786

Feb 15, 2008
Detroit MI
If you check Updato, SamFirm, or Samsung Science, you want the firmware usually tagged XAA. This one from Updato, although labeled USC, is actually the XAA with the v3 bootloader. Any firmware you flash after this point though will need to have the v3 bootloader or newer.

Hi jcsww, I downloaded this and try flashing with moded odin, still same error, any help please

jcsww

Hi jcsww, I downloaded this and try flashing with moded odin, still same error, any help please

Do you have USB Debugging enabled in Developer Options? Do you have the Samsung drivers installed for the device in download mode? Are you using the USB cable that came with your device? Are you using a USB port that doesn't share resources with other devices?

oscar786

Feb 15, 2008
Detroit MI
Do you have USB Debugging enabled in Developer Options? Do you have the Samsung drivers installed for the device in download mode? Are you using the USB cable that came with your device? Are you using a USB port that doesn't share resources with other devices?

odin is recognizing phone on com port, doesnt it mean its recognizing the device? or which drivers you want me to instal, thanks

oscar786

Feb 15, 2008
Detroit MI
If ODIN is recognizing the device and displaying a port. Then it should have the driver it needs. Are you using the modded or patched ODIN?
Hi jcsww, I am using moded ODIN, latest U1 (that you provided in previous post), Odin is recognizing the phone on com port. but still failing. Can you please recomment something else to successfully flash T-Mobile firmware on Xifinity mobile (unlocked) S9 . Thanks again

jcsww

Hi jcsww, I am using moded ODIN, latest U1 (that you provided in previous post), Odin is recognizing the phone on com port. but still failing. Can you please recomment something else to successfully flash T-Mobile firmware on Xifinity mobile (unlocked) S9 . Thanks again

Trying a different cable and or USB port is all I can think of. Shared ports tend to be an issue for flashing. There is also a setting in the Windows Power Management that allows Windows to disable devices connected over USB when it thinks they aren't needed. Disabling that might help. A high quality cable, like the one that comes with the device can also make a difference. Being able to charge and transmit data simultaneously makes sure the cable is up to the job.

thedillybar

Jan 28, 2013
Update:
I had to use a patched Odin 3.13.1 to get around the SHA256 error. See this post. (The Odin link earlier in the thread is broken)
After installing the U1 firmware from OP's follow-up post, I decided to stick with U1 rather than go to a T-mobile branded firmware. The firmware will still update, WiFi calling & Visual Voicemail work great.

If you really want the T-mobile branded firmware, you can get it from SamMobile. The link earlier in the thread is broken.

Cheers

anifowose

Apr 6, 2013
Abuja
I flashed one of the files with the version 3 bootloader, it was successful however I can no longer make calls or send messages. error is: not registered on network

anifowose

Apr 6, 2013
Abuja
Are you using the modded or patched ODIN? What did you flash from to (last 5 characters of the firmware). Did you cuange any options in ODIN? The options need to be left at their default.

I used Modded Odin with default option. from: 3ARI6 to 3ARJ6, product code CSC

side note: I'm trying to move to unbranded firmware.

Apr 21, 2014
Santa Rosa
I don't know why someone would go through the trouble of making a story up like this. But im pretty sure back in root/custom rom 101 samsungs first law says You cant do any of that without first unlocking the bootloader. Like what was achieved with the verizon note 4. Now the att note 9 as far as i know hasnt had its bootloader cracked yet, and will possibly stay locked indefinitely.

Aminm

Sep 23, 2019
Hello and thank you in advance,
I have tried to follow your instructions step by step, however I now get an error in ordin an it is as followed. would it be possible to get me through this?
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin engine v(ID:3.1303)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> skip file list for home binary
<ID:0/003> apdp.mbn
<ID:0/003> msadp.mbn
<ID:0/003> persist.img.ext4
<ID:0/003> dqmdbg.img.ext4
<ID:0/003> carrier.img.ext4
<ID:0/003> omr.img.ext4
<ID:0/003> Home Binary Download
<ID:0/003> Total Binary size: 5270 M
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/003> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003> abl.elf
<ID:0/003> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

leftylok83

Jun 22, 2019
Hey guys I'm a newbie I got a s9 from Samsung as a replacement & its locked to tmobile. Becuz the 1 I sent in was a tmobile phone. T mobile will not give me the unlock code for this new device becuz I dont have an account and they have no record of this phone & I've even had Samsung call talk to them but I dont wanna switch to tmobile to make an account to unlock it.. Is there any way to unlock it to use on a different carrier?

jcsww

Hey guys I'm a newbie I got a s9 from Samsung as a replacement & its locked to tmobile. Becuz the 1 I sent in was a tmobile phone. T mobile will not give me the unlock code for this new device becuz I dont have an account and they have no record of this phone & I've even had Samsung call talk to them but I dont wanna switch to tmobile to make an account to unlock it.. Is there any way to unlock it to use on a different carrier?

Samsung or a third party unlocking service are your only options. Even if you were a T-mobile customer, they would not be able to give you an unlock for a device they did not provide.

Reactions: leftylok83

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've done it!

Any chance anybody has success doing this? It seems like a "Must Have" feature to switch carrier roms on the G960U between carriers, including Boot Screen/Logo, Firmware, Bloatware, etc.

All the goodies.

Any help?

Thank you,

I've completed this task tonight thanks to some great help from a user that stepped me through it on a TMO Forum.

First an FYI, I first was able to flash my AT&T S9 version from SM-960U to a Stock SM-960U1. It worked great. After that, I was able to flash the TMO Rom and it's also working perfect. I'm not sure if it's required or not to flash the phone to a U1 first or if the TMO Rom can just be flashed. After I flashed the TMO firmware, I had no issues downloading and installing the latest TMO update. (My device is unlocked as well)

It's best to use Samsung switch first to backup your texts, pics, etc. first if you want to restore them to the device after completing the flash. The below instructions will start the phone up as if it was new out if the box.

Here is what I was provided with and the steps I followed.

To Flash the SM-G960U to a SM-G960U1

1. Allow\Enable USB Debugging in Developers settings.

2. Download the U1 Firmware here: https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=257063
    (this is the U1 from Samsung, it's compressed but once extracted it will be around 4GB's of data.)

3. Download the ADB tools: https://devfiles.co/download/PDYvOWBg/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip. Create a folder on your desktop and name it ADB (for easy reference)

4. Download Odin: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10dSyPTuccP8Km9MnDrvbRdS-CAcgFZB3/view

5. From windows, run command prompt, in the command prompt type the following: cd C:\Users\XXX\Desktop\ADB
    (XXX is your username)

6. Connect your phone to a USB port on your computer, your phone should prompt you to allow the connection to\from your computer. Allow the connection. Might be best to choose to "Always Allow"

7. Return to the command prompt and type in: adb devices You should see your device listed.

8. In the same command window, type in: adb reboot bootloader This will auto reboot your device into the "Download" mode.

9. Open and run Odin, add the corresponding tar files to the respective area's, in the "options tab" in Odin, make sure that only "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" is checked.

Click "Start" and the process will take a few minutes to complete.

Allow the device a few minutes to auto reboot and start up.

After you get through all the post boot setup screens, open a phone dial pad and type in, *#2263#. then make sure that all LTE bands are enabled.

Here you can find the SM-G960U T-Mobile Files: https://www.droiddosh.com/2018/04/samsung-galaxy-s9-sm-g960u-firmware-tmobile-usa-G960USQU1ARBG.html
    B"H

Ok, thank you.

1. So stock G960U (Original Carrier) -> Flash to U1 -
    2. Then, Go from G960U1 -> Stock G960U (Any Carrier)

Few questions:
    1. Which CSC file are you using to flash -- CSC_HOME?
    2. In moving from U1 -> U, do you need the final carrier SIM inside the phone?

I've tried this with a Verizon phone I'd like to convert to XFinity (CCT). I flashed the G960U VZW to G960U1 XXA. That worked fine. Then I flashed the G960U CCT rom, and the phone just boots up Verizon. When I check the CSC, it says "VZW/VZW/VZW", even though I flashed the CCT rom.

I don't have an XFinity sim card, so perhap that is the problem.

Any help would be great.

You most likely will need a Xfinity Sim Card. I was able to convert my Xfinity Mobile S9 to AT&T by going to U1 firmware then inserting my AT&T sim card then flashing the AT&T U firmware.
    Question

Does anyone know if you have to have the phone unlocked before changing over carriers? for example if i had a Galaxy S9 from Sprint and wanted to change the firmware to T-Mobile would it work or would it still be locked to Sprint? Thanks for your Help!
    Can anyone help please ODIN file is not available.

You can find it here.
    Thanks, I have a question, I am try to flash T-Mobile ROM on xifinity S9 that has android 8 on it. should I proceed with the same process. or get the latest T-Mobile ROM. Please help

You need to factory wipe and flash to the U1 non-carrier specific firmware first after enabling USB Debugging in the Developer Options once you factory reset. Pop your T-Mobile SIM in and put the device into download mode. Make sure you find the U1 version that has the same or a newer bootloader than your device currently has. You can not flash a previous version of the bootloader. Do not use the file called, HOME_CSC when flashing any of the firmware unless you want the potential for issues. Once you flash the U1, skip through the setup, don't activate WiFi or sign in with your Google account and head straight to enable USB Debugging once again in Developer Options. Back into download mode and flash the TMB firmware, again making sure you don't flash the HOME_CSC (there is another CSC that does need to be flashed) and everything should be good.