[HOW-TO] Flash A/B Treble GSI ROMs without TWRP

Search This thread

TrustAugustus

Jan 23, 2013
Hirakata
Hey folks. I just wanted to comment that using the most recent binaries (vendor) and Android 11gsi (havoc) things are great. If anyone finds a11 gsi that allows disabling of the navbar, kindly tell us. I like to use a third party gesture app (edge gestures)

Edit: phhtteble based gsi have the feature baked in it seems. :) Updated to havoc 4.5 and found the setting in the misc section in the phhtreble settings.

Last edited:
Hey folks. I just wanted to comment that using the most recent binaries (vendor) and Android 11gsi (havoc) things are great. If anyone finds a11 gsi that allows disabling of the navbar, kindly tell us. I like to use a third party gesture app (edge gestures)

Edit: phhtteble based gsi have the feature baked in it seems. :) Updated to havoc 4.5 and found the setting in the misc section in the phhtreble settings.
@TrustAugustus how is havoc 4.5 and any issue and btw bro can you tell us how you install it and from which android version and which havoc 4.5 A/B file (link will be useful) ? Thanks because i wanna give it a shot also.

JaneValley

Sep 27, 2020
Currently dwelling in Melbourne
Just want to add a friendly remind for noobs like me... Idiots like me tried hours to figure out why.
so if you cannot boot into system after flashed Havoc or Lineage OS GSI etc, try flash stock boot.img. It helps.
TWRP goes install - install image - select the stock boot.img - select boot partition - done.
I didn't use Fastboot command but I think it will work too

Last edited:

TrustAugustus

Jan 23, 2013
Hirakata
@TrustAugustus how is havoc 4.5 and any issue and btw bro can you tell us how you install it and from which android version and which havoc 4.5 A/B file (link will be useful) ? Thanks because i wanna give it a shot also.
Hey. I used this one. The one at the top is the newest. After attempting to boot it'll go to an Android recovery turn reboot after performing a wipe. Everything works great... Except video recording. The audio is distorted.
You can enable AOD etc in different menus as well. I installed it by growing miustones guide in this forum.

Reactions: Pandemic

Robot76

Aug 26, 2015
Sony Xperia 1
Miustone's guide is awesome...
I followed the instructions exactly and won!

(I flashed our magisk_patched_stock_boot.img)
I used the google vbmeta.img from Google's Arm64+GMS zip.
I used the Sony AOSP binary, Android 11, 4.14, Kumano, matching our device.
😍
Special thanx to everyone here! cheers

Going to follow this guide for my Xperia XA2+ Voyager. However, I've some basic questions.

1. What if the flashing process is interrupted somehow, like a power cut or cable disconnection? Will the phone be hard bricked in that case?

2. I am running Pixel Experience 12 gsi, and I'm rooted with magisk. Can I simply follow this guide, or I need to unroot and go back to my factory image, and then follow these steps?

3. Can I flash Android 12L gsi put out by Google?

Robot76

Aug 26, 2015
Sony Xperia 1
Hey! If I want to flash different version of the same gsi, for example, upgrade phh v401 to v402, should I wipe my data? Thanks!
No need to wipe Data! 🥰. I flashed dirty the .402 over .401

fastboot flash system_a PixelExperience_arm64-ab-vndklite-12.0-20220221-UNOFFICIAL.img

fastboot flash system_b PixelExperience_arm64-ab-vndklite-12.0-20220221-UNOFFICIAL.img

And it started as if nothing had changed, and a notification for setting up Face Unlock came up, that is all 😍

Last edited:
Reactions: JaneValley

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Android devices can have different designs, so there is no generic command or set of instructions for flashing a GSI to apply to all devices. Specially for Xperias am i writing this Guides for You. So please read carefully...

1. Ensure that You have the following before You start:
    • Latest Fastboot Version (Or the used fastboot commands may not work)
    • A Method for disabling Android Verified Boot (Part of the Guide)
    • An unlocked Bootloader State (Official Instructions HERE)

To Start:
    • Download the Basic Package from Google: https://developer.android.com/topic/generic-system-image/releases
    • Download the AOSP Vendor Package from Sony: https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/downloads/software-binaries
    • Open up the Zip Files and place the 3 included Images on Your fastboot destination
    • Boot Your Device into Fastboot:
      Code:
      Turn off Your Device and hold VolumeUP while connecting via USB to a PC or use ADB to reboot to fastboot
    • Disable the verified booting (AVB) by flashing vbmeta.img:
      Code:
      fastboot --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    • Flash the Vendor to the Primary A Slot OEM:
      Code:
      fastboot flash oem_a nameofthesonyoemimage.img
    • Repeat to flash to the B Slot OEM
      Code:
      fastboot flash oem_b nameofthesonyoemimage.img
    • Flash the GSI to the Primary A Slot System:
      Code:
      fastboot flash system_a system.img
    • Repeat to flash to the B Slot System
      Code:
      fastboot flash system_b system.img
    • Wipe the user data and clear the data from other necessary partitions (for example, user data and system partitions):
      Code:
      fastboot -w
    • Reboot:
      Code:
      fastboot reboot

Additional:
    1. You can use any Android 9+ GSI out of the XDA Forum here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/project-treble/trebleenabled-device-development
    2. To get Magisk/Root; just patch Your actual Kernel with the Magisk Manager App and flash the Boot Image together with the GSI (Example below)
    3. Patched Boot Image for Xperia 5 Users: https://forum.xda-developers.com/xp...isk-v20-3-patched-boot-image-android-t4033547
    You could mention Treble support means "since XZ1" (unless hacks)
    Hi, can I use Android 11 binary to flash A12 GSI? Very curious, thanks!
    Yes you can.
    Can we use also Havoc OS 3.6 then bro and does it have bugs ?

Works just fine like the latest PHH AOSP Versions with passing SafetyNet. I recommend using My latest Guide here to use it. Things that don't Work yet are:
    -VoLTE
    -Always on Display
    -Camera Button
    -HDR 4K native Video Playback in Apps
    I recommend using Open Camera with CameraAPI2 enabled in the settings since we don't have GCam. Otherwise it's fine to use...
    Hoping to carry this on here, since I own the 1 not the 5 :) In order to de-google my life, I've decided that I am ready for GSI!

A few notes from my flashing weekend;

Following these instructions, from an unlocked Xperia 1 running stock rom, worked for the following;
    ExpressLuke's Havoc 3.0
    LineageOS 17.x

Interesting thing. These both install to system in 3 parts (when watching the flash to system.
    Any other that I tried (installing in 2 parts) did not seem to work.. but then I am new at this. It's entirely possible that some of these failed because I didn't re-flash stock first.
    I was also using a patched boot / kernel with a specific magisk version, which might have played a part. Failed are also (obviously) Pie. :confused:
    Failed flashes were;
    PPH Treble AOSP 9
    Havoc 2.9 Official

So far, I've been blown away with Havoc. Of the tons of things I've run in the last 24, I've seen the following issues;
    1) Call volume on handset doesn't seem to do anything. (Bluetooth works fine)
    2) I had one reboot last evening. Since then solid as a rock.
    3) Selection of notification sound for fastmail app didn't take right away

I haven't worked up the courage to try setting up twrp yet, so no recovery. I may give magisk a shot later tonight. I need to back this stuff up somehow!

Thanks to @Miustone for replying and making things easier, and @thatguy222 for the info he provided in the Xperia 5 thread!