How to flash a SBF via Linux!

Search This thread

Matt4542

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 5, 2010
Connecticut
www.matt4542.net
First off let me say this is 1000000% easier than RSD Lite in my opinion.

If you like this guide just give me a little thanks :)

You will need a few things downloaded.

The sbf: Download In this folder you are really only going to need the DROID2_X6_2.2.20_SHADOW_BP_C_01.09.05P_P2_USERBLD_SECURE.sbf file. You can delete the second one.

The sbf_flash file: Download

Once you download both put them in your home folder(user name folder) open terminal and type these things step by step

Plug your phone in via USB now and turn it off and press up on the keyboard to go into the bootloader.

1. "chmod +x sbf_flash"
2. "sudo ./sbf_flash DROID2_X6_2.2.20_SHADOW_BP_C_01.09.05P_P2_USERBLD_SECURE.sbf

Now your phone should start flashing. Let it do its stuff and it should reboot in about 20-30 minutes.

Hope it helped!

BTW this works if you are bricked :D

Last edited:

facelessuser

Jan 31, 2009
Thanks for the info. I've been wondering this; now I don't have to set up a windows VM when things go south. I usually find most things easier in Linux (once you get used to Linux).

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App

facelessuser

Jan 31, 2009
A note to people who try and do the SBF. Wipe your data and cache in recovery if you have a boot loop after flashing. I have verified this method works, but I had to wipe my data and cache afterwards to get past an infinite boot loop.

draya1986

Aug 2, 2010
Maybe someone can help me out. I've installed Ubuntu (first time user), and I have followed the directions up to the terminal part.

Plug your phone in via USB now and turn it off and press up on the keyboard to go into the bootloader.

1. "chmod +x sbf_flash"
2. "sudo./sbf_flash DROID2_X6_2.2.20_SHADOW_BP_C_01.09.05P_P2_USERBLD_ SECURE.sbf

When I try these commands, here is what I get:

[email protected]:~$ chmod +x sbf_flash
[email protected]:~$ sudo./sbf_flash DROID2_X6_2.2.20_SHADOW_BP_C_01.09.05P_P2_USERBLD_ SECURE.sbf
bash: sudo./sbf_flash: No such file or directory

Also tried:
sudo ./sbf_flash DROID2_X6_2.2.20_SHADOW_BP_C_01.09.05P_P2_USERBLD_ SECURE.sbf
sudo: unable to execute ./sbf_flash: No such file or directory

It shows up in the username folder (David), but for some reason I get no such file.
If someone can point out what I'm doing wrong, that would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:

facelessuser

Jan 31, 2009
Maybe someone can help me out. I've installed Ubuntu (first time user), and I have followed the directions up to the terminal part.

1. "chmod +x sbf_flash"
2. "sudo./sbf_flash DROID2_X6_2.2.20_SHADOW_BP_C_01.09.05P_P2_USERBLD_ SECURE.sbf

When I try these commands, here is what I get:

[email protected]:~$ chmod +x sbf_flash
[email protected]:~$ sudo./sbf_flash DROID2_X6_2.2.20_SHADOW_BP_C_01.09.05P_P2_USERBLD_ SECURE.sbf
bash: sudo./sbf_flash: No such file or directory

Also tried:
sudo ./sbf_flash DROID2_X6_2.2.20_SHADOW_BP_C_01.09.05P_P2_USERBLD_ SECURE.sbf
sudo: unable to execute ./sbf_flash: No such file or directory

It shows up in the username folder (David), but for some reason I get no such file.
If someone can point out what I'm doing wrong, that would be great. Thanks.

Put a space between sudo and ./sbf_flash. It is not one command.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

patchm00

Sep 20, 2010

The sbf: Download In this folder you are really only going to need the DROID2_X6_2.2.20_SHADOW_BP_C_01.09.05P_P2_USERBLD_SECURE.sbf file. You can delete the second one.

Once you download both put them in your home folder(user name folder) open terminal and type these things step by step

1. "chmod +x sbf_flash"
2. "sudo./sbf_flash DROID2_X6_2.2.20_SHADOW_BP_C_01.09.05P_P2_USERBLD_SECURE.sbf

Now your phone should start flashing. Let it do its stuff and it should reboot in about 20-30 minutes.

Hope it helped!

How does this work if you are bricked? I am stuck at getting to the M logo on boot and can only get to Android Recovery Console. I can't turn off the phone after i plug in the USB and hitting up arrow i've never seen before. Also, the phone when at the recovery console isn't recognized as anything; even in windows :(

EDIT: Hmm, i was not using bootloader mode sorry, trying again!

Last edited:

Terri M

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas
How does this work if you are bricked? I am stuck at getting to the M logo on boot and can only get to Android Recovery Console. I can't turn off the phone after i plug in the USB and hitting up arrow i've never seen before. Also, the phone when at the recovery console isn't recognized as anything; even in windows :(

EDIT: Hmm, i was not using bootloader mode sorry, trying again!

I WAS using the bootloader, and RSD lite says the "Failed flashing process. Phone [0000]: Phone is not compatible with multi-interface super-file. [0x703B]; phone connected." I have no idea on what to do now. :(

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App

duongtran

Apr 19, 2008
I followed the steps and now I am stuck in bootloader.... The process seems to have been completed, but when I turn on phone it directly goes into bootloader.
It shows the following.....

Bootloader
D2,35
Err:A5,70,70,1F

MEM_MAP Blank
Service Req'd
Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

newk8600

Aug 19, 2010
Northglenn
Which sbf did you use and did you get the OTA update (2.3.2)?

Might I interest you in this threadit has the same instructions with more explanation just ignore the stuff about the livecd because you already have linux.

Last edited:

karnovaran

Jul 27, 2009
PDX
I followed the steps and now I am stuck in bootloader.... The process seems to have been completed, but when I turn on phone it directly goes into bootloader.
It shows the following.....

Bootloader
D2,35
Err:A5,70,70,1F

MEM_MAP Blank
Service Req'd
Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable
Boot into recovery by holding x and power, then press the search key at the android. Wipe data and cache, then reboot.

duongtran

Apr 19, 2008
I figured it out! Thanks for info newk8600. I was using the sbf found in this thread, but I needed the newer sbf(2.3.20) because I somehow got the OTA update. I have no clue how I got it because I never updated my phone in over 3 weeks. The last time I updated my phone was Fission beta or alpha. But either way thanks developers for everything you guys saved my expensive paperweight.

The_Philosophist

Nov 3, 2010

1. "chmod +x sbf_flash"
2. "sudo ./sbf_flash DROID2_X6_2.2.20_SHADOW_BP_C_01.09.05P_P2_USERBLD_SECURE.sbf

Hope it helped!

Thanks! But can you tell me it this will also work on the motorola milestone ? (other SBF file ofcourse!) because I tried updating to 2.2 but RSD lite wasn't able to find my phone or something.
Maybe someone else has an idea what the cause would be for it not to function as it should ?

newk8600

Aug 19, 2010
Northglenn
I bet it would work for the milestone also with the correct .SBF file. Just make sure you use the same syntax with the correct filename: sudo ./sbf_flash [sbf_file_name] (make sure the file doesn't have spaces or it won't find the right file).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. "chmod +x sbf_flash"

Hope it helped!