How to flash recovery using Linux and Heimdall? (SOLVED)

Search This thread

sergegalun

Feb 24, 2021
Hi. Decided to try to give some new life to this old thing. But when I install the TWRP thing and shut it down it immediately boots up and overwrites the TWRT. I know the instructions says to let go of the buttons "very fast", but I've been practising this for hours now and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do it any faster. I did try to open it up but it doesn't look like the battery is very easily accessible, bit worried about messing around in there while it's turned on. I've been considering just letting it run out of power, but if you guys have a better solution that would be great.

sergegalun

Feb 24, 2021
Slight status update. Tried to let the thing just run out of power, but it didn't work. Then I found out that the key to restarting it properly was to boot it back into recovery mode before it has time to automatically reboot. So I've taken care of that part. But it seems as if the installation of TWRP just never happens despite that it looks like it is.

Code:
heimdall flash --RECOVERY twrp-3.5.0_9-0-chagallwifi.img --no-reboot                                                             1 ⨯
Heimdall v1.4.2

Copyright (c) 2010-2017 Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
Claiming interface...
Setting up interface...

Initialising protocol...
Protocol initialisation successful.

Beginning session...

Some devices may take up to 2 minutes to respond.
Please be patient!

Session begun.

Downloading device's PIT file...
PIT file download successful.

Uploading RECOVERY
100%
RECOVERY upload successful

Ending session...
Releasing device interface...

I get the blue line, but it finishes very fast, in like a second, no where near the two minutes Heimdall says it could take. And in the instructions it says I'm supposed to get a message on the pad saying it's completed, and that never happens. So I'm thinking the TWRP image is uploaded to the device but it's never flashed.

The device says:
Code:
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SM-T800
CURRENT BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
Secure Download : Enabled
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 1 (0x0304)
RP SWREV: A1

No indication of it installing anything or being complete. If anyone has any idea why this might be happening I'd love to know. I'm following these instructions by the way https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/chagallwifi/install

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
This is the way I do it.

1. Boot into download mode.

2. heimdall flash --RECOVERY twrp-3.5.0_9-0-chagallwifi.img

3. As soon as you hit enter in step 2, start holding down the recovery mode keys. This is important as per document "NOTE: Be sure to reboot into recovery immediately after installing the custom recovery. If you don’t the stock ROM will overwrite the custom recovery with the stock recovery, and you’ll need to flash it again."

4. Keep holding those buttons until you see TWRP.

sergegalun

Feb 24, 2021
This is the way I do it.

1. Boot into download mode.

2. heimdall flash --RECOVERY twrp-3.5.0_9-0-chagallwifi.img

3. As soon as you hit enter in step 2, start holding down the recovery mode keys. This is important as per document "NOTE: Be sure to reboot into recovery immediately after installing the custom recovery. If you don’t the stock ROM will overwrite the custom recovery with the stock recovery, and you’ll need to flash it again."

4. Keep holding those buttons until you see TWRP.

Thanks. But I'm starting to think my issue is bigger than that as every time I do this it just boots back into the regular Android thing, and I've done it like 30 times now. I don't think Heimdall is flashing anything, it's just uploading the file then nothing. I was under the impression that it overwrites the TWRP as soon as I start it up gain, but I'm rebooting into recovery so fast now that that the screen is only black for a second, and if it overwrites it that fast then I don't know what else to do.

Do you get an indication on the Android screen that flashing has completed?

My instructions say this "NOTE: The device will continue to display Downloading... Do not turn off target!! even after the process is complete. When the status message in the top left of the devices’s display reports that the process is complete, you may proceed."

But I don't get any message in the top left corner saying it complete.

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
I just did it the way I wrote. No problems booting into TWRP 3.5.0.9. Here's the log.
Code:
$ heimdall flash --RECOVERY twrp-3.5.0_9-0-chagallwifi.img
Heimdall v1.4.2

Copyright (c) 2010-2017 Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
Claiming interface...
Setting up interface...

Initialising protocol...
Protocol initialisation successful.

Beginning session...

Some devices may take up to 2 minutes to respond.
Please be patient!

Session begun.

Downloading device's PIT file...
PIT file download successful.

Uploading RECOVERY
100%
RECOVERY upload successful

Ending session...
Rebooting device...
Releasing device interface...

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
On my tablet, to boot into recovery mode, it's power + volume button farthest away from the power + home key. Hold all three until you see TWRP logo.

sergegalun

Feb 24, 2021
On my tablet, to boot into recovery mode, it's power + volume button farthest away from the power + home key. Hold all three until you see TWRP logo.
Yes. That was my mistake. On the default loader the keys are "home+volume down+power" but to boot TWRP it's "home+volume up+power". As soon as I did that it worked. Thanks for the help.

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
Yes. That was my mistake. On the default loader the keys are "home+volume down+power" but to boot TWRP it's "home+volume up+power". As soon as I did that it worked. Thanks for the help.
I find that on some tablets, it's not obvious which is volume up and volume down depending on what it considers the default orientation. That's why I wrote it farthest away from power button.