How to: flash stock without loosing data (without reformatting)

Search This thread

nicolap8

Jul 3, 2011
Hi all,
I had to reflash the stock, using the Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant. (Because the OREO OTA refused to install).
I connected the phone, followed the instructions (and backed up the data) but BEFORE starting the "rescue" process (and after completing the download) I modified a file!
Go in the "c:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles" folder, you will find the unzipped ROM folder, mine was "POTTER_NPNS25.137_93_14_cid50_subsidy_DEFAULT_regulatory_DEFAULT_CFC.xml"
Inside you have near 3GB of files.
Open with a text editor (notepad) "flashfile.xml" and delete this line (near the end):
Code:
    <step operation="erase" partition="userdata"/>
Save the modified file and let the Smart(!) Assistant do the rescue.
After some minutes (be patient... nothing moves for a lot of time) the phone will reboot.
And your data is all at his place!

WARNING: in some cases the data format has a reason! Eg. if you flash a different ROM the system apps will find the old version settings and behave badly...
In my case I flashed the SAME ROM version so there really no reason to format.
Nicola

goodjuju

Jul 25, 2013
Capitol DC
My device is rooted with magisk and recognized by Smart Assistant. I used it to download full fastboot firmwares

Sent from my Moto G5 Plus using XDA Labs

Hmm... mine is too - but LMSA does not recognize - strange. It recognizes only when unrooted. Is your phone XT 1687?

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

No. My phone was (and is) rooted.
The ROM was stock, with minor (unwanted) modification.

It's ADB working? Test it separately.

It was last time - when I upgraded to 8.1 using Minimal ADB and Fastboot. Will double check.

goodjuju

Jul 25, 2013
Capitol DC
Hmm... mine is too - but LMSA does not recognize - strange. It recognizes only when unrooted. Is your phone XT 1687?

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

It was last time - when I upgraded to 8.1 using Minimal ADB and Fastboot. Will double check.

ADB is working from minimal ADB and Fastboot app. Just upgraded to Oreo using the app first to reflash 28..85-17-1 then taking the OTA.

FLASH+HACK

Apr 27, 2019
I tell you the problem is that the computer does not detect the phone is as if the data port on the phone does not work, if I open a CMD console and put the command: fastboot devices tells me that it is waiting for the device, but if I prendo the phone nothing and check the charging connector and it's fine, someone who has happened this and guide me. , I installed the drivers, tried other USB cable, and different PC ports

Jack_731

Apr 2, 2020
Hi all,
I had to reflash the stock, using the Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant. (Because the OREO OTA refused to install).
I connected the phone, followed the instructions (and backed up the data) but BEFORE starting the "rescue" process (and after completing the download) I modified a file!
Go in the "c:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles" folder, you will find the unzipped ROM folder, mine was "POTTER_NPNS25.137_93_14_cid50_subsidy_DEFAULT_regulatory_DEFAULT_CFC.xml"
Open with a text editor (notepad) "flashfile.xml" and delete this line (near the end):
Code:
After some minutes (be patient... nothing moves for a lot of time) the phone will reboot.

WARNING: in some cases the data format has a reason! Eg. if you flash a different ROM the system apps will find the old version settings and behave badly...
Nicola

Hi,
Will this method work on Locked BLs, and if USB Debug is off?
My Phone - Moto One Power

Shuton

Apr 7, 2013
Has anyone had success or failure with this method lately? I want to give this a shot but I am worried about losing my data that I really need so I thought to hear from other experiences before I take my chance on this.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Has anyone had success or failure with this method lately? I want to give this a shot but I am worried about losing my data that I really need so I thought to hear from other experiences before I take my chance on this.
Probably only a 50% chance that it will work for your device.
Is the bootloader unlocked?
What are you trying to do?

Shuton

Apr 7, 2013
Probably only a 50% chance that it will work for your device.
Is the bootloader unlocked?
What are you trying to do?

The bootloader is locked. My phone is stock and has never been rooted, which it somehow failed to boot one day with a "No bootable A/B slot" error. So I am trying to use the Rescue and Smart Assistant tool to fix it. I see that it would wipe the user data, so I am looking into options on how I can fix it without losing my data.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,
    Code:

Nicola
    Hi,
    Will this method work on Locked BLs, and if USB Debug is off?
    The update part yes but I never tryed to skip the reformat with locked BL.
    I think that CAN work but I can't assure this.
    N
    @sd_shadow: thanks :)
    @nicolap8
    Thanks, I added similarly instructions to my
    LMSA: Lenovo's Motorola Smart Assistant thread
    with a link back to this thread as credit.