[HOW-TO]Flash T-Mobile USA Radio In Recovery

Becool0130

Oct 16, 2010
HOW TO Flash T-Mobile USA Radio (Needs More Work)

All credit goes to he_stheone64 and his thread located here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2245615

Credit: The War Horse - for telling me the obvious, how to get the radio was listed in the thread above all along :p

I apologize that is my first stab at development and for any errors you may or may not run into. This is fully expected to work with he_stheone64 method above as the only thing I changed was the radio.img.

This thread taught me how to extract the T-mobile USA radio from my HTC One. Now its time for those in the community who really want to have T-mobile 3G speeds to test this out! :D

This is for you and you deserve it. As I promised with no more words....

This is how you can upgrade your RADIO without S-Off

1. Download Radio update.zip below and copy to your SD

2. Only an optional step for those, who want to have a Radio Firmware backup just in case

a) Connect your device via USB in recovery and open cmd in fastboot folder:

adb shell
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p31 of=/sdcard/radio_firmware.img

You will now have current Radio on SD as radio_firmware.img

Expected output:

PHP Code:

PHP Code:
Code:
~ # dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p31 of=/sdcard/radio_firmware.img
153601+0 records in
153601+0 records out
78643712 bytes (75.0MB) copied, 11.826523 seconds, 5.4MB/s
3. Now just flash the Radio update.zip as usual in recovery, reboot your device and enjoy latest Radio

In case you want / need to restore your current Radio backup:

Either you adjust updater script to radio_recovery.img or just do it via adb in recovery:

dd if=/sdcard/radio_firmware.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p31

Download Radio from:
https://mega.co.nz/#!d9wz0QDA!DF1QoGnkPuDt3ttjpGz1xSqh9U0ZDUtEpPG15vA_61E
MD5: 7BACD1B72F53859A52A3EB6CB3FB5433

Last edited:
Reactions: fuse1820

Becool0130

Oct 16, 2010
Not only would this be better placed in Q&A but there is a thread specifically about this in the dev sub.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2245615

To answer your question though, you will need to get the T-mo radio to be able to flash it.
Thanks! However, it was stated in this thread that we first need the T-mobile radios right? so Im asking.

If anyone has the t-mobile radios please offer it here for download. Then we can begin the progress on flashing it over to test on the dev editions. Thanks

xdarkfirex

Jun 30, 2008
Park Forest
Title says it. Need a T-Mobile radio dump to get T-Mobile frequencies working for you guys. Thanks so much.

I want to give the community - especially the ones with a developer edition or ATT - a way to flash Tmobile radios :)
Please post the download link here and we can all test it out and see if it works.

This can be done with S-On too! Please see this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=40603094&highlight=t-mobile#post40603094

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda app-developers app
Ok just dumped the radio from my phone. Hope it works out.

T-Mobile_Radio1.27.431.7

Reactions: sai0899

sai0899

Jun 26, 2009
Thanks guys for making this possible.

I'm trying to backup the original radio but got the permission denied message.
Did i missed anything?

1. The phone was booted in recovery mode.
2. open CMD and go to phone's adb directory
3. typed the adb shell command and then see the rest command log

J:\adb>adb shell
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
[email protected]:/ $ dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p31 of=/sdcard/radio_firmware.img
/dev/block/mmcblk0p31: cannot open for read: Permission denied
1|[email protected]:/ $

My one is the developer version

Last edited:

dksxmks

Jun 17, 2009
I'm on Tmo with a 32gb unlocked One, so I gave it a shot. I have a SGS2 as well so I know I get HSPA+ here and not Edge, which is what I'm getting now on my One.

I backed up the radio, unlocked the bootloader, flashed recovery, flashed supersu, flashed Tmo radio, did factory reset. No luck, still getting Edge on my One.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Thanks guys for making this possible.

I'm trying to backup the original radio but got the permission denied message.
Did i missed anything?

1. The phone was booted in recovery mode.
2. open CMD and go to phone's adb directory
3. typed the adb shell command and then see the rest command log

J:\adb>adb shell
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
[email protected]:/ $ dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p31 of=/sdcard/radio_firmware.img
/dev/block/mmcblk0p31: cannot open for read: Permission denied
1|[email protected]:/ $

My one is the developer version
You might need to root it first. Then enter the command "su" and grant permissions before the "dd" command.

Becool0130

Oct 16, 2010
I'm on Tmo with a 32gb unlocked One, so I gave it a shot. I have a SGS2 as well so I know I get HSPA+ here and not Edge, which is what I'm getting now on my One.

I backed up the radio, unlocked the bootloader, flashed recovery, flashed supersu, flashed Tmo radio, did factory reset. No luck, still getting Edge on my One.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

You might need to root it first. Then enter the command "su" and grant permissions before the "dd" command.
I believe his phone is rooted already as he already has recovery. Your log you posted "adb server is out of date. killing..." IS CRUCIAL.

You need to launch adb and update it. How? In windows 7 just press start and type in "sdk manager". Everything is straight forward from there. Then try again :)

A

anon4129325

Can I flash this radio on my unlocked AT&T HTC One? Using it on T-Mobile now but only get edge
This is what we're hoping but we need a brave soul to try it out. If it works, it means that we can buy the unlocked / developer editions and bring them to tmobile with full 3g/4g/lte!