Question How to flash twrp recovery and root redmi note 10s?

Search This thread

Ricardo 182

Nov 9, 2018
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
You wont be able to find rosemary's twrps yet... But you can root this model unlocking bootloader and flashing a modified boot.img from magisk APK, you can follow this instructions to do that; (you'll need the redmi note 10 s original rom firmware to extract the boot img and you can get it from here: https://c.mi.com/es/miuidownload/detail?device=1900397)

1. First, extract the boot.img file from Redmi Note 10 firmware. You can use 7Zip or WinRAR.​
  2. Now install the Magisk Manager app on your phone.​
  3. Open the Magisk Manager app and click on the Install.
    How to Root Xiaomi Phones
  4. In the next step choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
  5. Browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.​
  6. The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.​
  7. Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.​
  8. Reboot your Redmi Note 10 to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer.​
  9. In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
  10. You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.​
    • fastboot devices
  11. Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Redmi Note 10.​
    • fastboot flash boot boot.img
  12. After flashing the patched boot image. reboot your device to the system.​
  13. Install Magisk Manager if it’s not already installed.​
  14. Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.​
That’s all, now your phone is rooted. You can check for root access using any root checker app. And once you have root access on your Redmi Note 10, you can enjoy all the apps and features that require root access. As you know Xiaomi phones show ads on some system apps that you can disable with root access. You can use different Xposed Modules to customize your phone. Also, you can install Xposed Framework on your phone to use modules.

Or if your system has an a/b partition you'll have to type this on your command window:

fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img

fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img

Last edited:

bosr

Jul 4, 2021
This is a questionable part I think:
1. If your phone doesn’t have A/B partition system:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
2. If your phone has A/B partition system:

Based on the Treble Check app, at least my phone, supported Seamless System Updates and is detected to have an A/B system partition => should be used 2?
This might be a reason of : "this partition doesn't exist" with 1.

Source: https://www.naldotech.com/root-xiaomi-redmi-note-10s-magisk/

Last edited:

bosr

Jul 4, 2021
!! Success !!
The process I´ve rooted my Redmi Note 10s with V12.5.8.0.RKLEUXM ROM:
(besides all needed drivers, adbs, proper fasboot ROM version, unlocked bootloader, little bit of a fear that the phone could be hard bricked and a few more) :
- patched boot.img via magisk manager v23
- flashed empty vbmeta.img as decribed here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/root-gained.4290689/
- flashed patched_boot.img (the latest platform-tools flashed it directly to boot_a)
- reboot
Voila, Redmi Note 10s is rooted and Magisk v23 installed

GildroY

Oct 10, 2017
You wont be able to find rosemary's twrps yet... But you can root this model unlocking bootloader and flashing a modified boot.img from magisk APK, you can follow this instructions to do that; (you'll need the redmi note 10 s original rom firmware to extract the boot img and you can get it from here: https://c.mi.com/es/miuidownload/detail?device=1900397)

1. First, extract the boot.img file from Redmi Note 10 firmware. You can use 7Zip or WinRAR.​
  2. Now install the Magisk Manager app on your phone.​
  3. Open the Magisk Manager app and click on the Install.
  4. In the next step choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
  5. Browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.​
  6. The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.​
  7. Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.​
  8. Reboot your Redmi Note 10 to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer.​
  9. In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
  10. You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.​
    • fastboot devices
  11. Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Redmi Note 10.​
    • fastboot flash boot boot.img
  12. After flashing the patched boot image. reboot your device to the system.​
  13. Install Magisk Manager if it’s not already installed.​
  14. Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.​
That’s all, now your phone is rooted. You can check for root access using any root checker app. And once you have root access on your Redmi Note 10, you can enjoy all the apps and features that require root access. As you know Xiaomi phones show ads on some system apps that you can disable with root access. You can use different Xposed Modules to customize your phone. Also, you can install Xposed Framework on your phone to use modules.

Or if your system has an a/b partition you'll have to type this on your command window:

"
  1. First, extract the boot.img file from Redmi Note 10 firmware. You can use 7Zip or WinRAR."

I am not able to see boot.img file in the extracted rom. I used the same link that you had shared to download the rom. This is the file name - miui_ROSEMARYINGlobal_V12.5.5.0.RKLINXM_ab4be8a721_11.0.zip.

What is the mistake I am making?

GildroY

Oct 10, 2017
"
  1. First, extract the boot.img file from Redmi Note 10 firmware. You can use 7Zip or WinRAR."

I am not able to see boot.img file in the extracted rom. I used the same link that you had shared to download the rom. This is the file name - miui_ROSEMARYINGlobal_V12.5.5.0.RKLINXM_ab4be8a721_11.0.zip.

What is the mistake I am making?
Also checked the global rom from here https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/miui/rosemary/stable beta/V12.5.12.0.RKLMIXM/
Same thing - cant find the boot.img

bosr

Jul 4, 2021
Also checked the global rom from here https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/miui/rosemary/stable beta/V12.5.12.0.RKLMIXM/
Same thing - cant find the boot.img
You are searching in the wrong type of ROM. It must be the fastboot type.
for example: rosemary_global_images_V12.5.11.0.RKLMIXM_20210618.0000.00_11.0_global_06239807c1.tgz

Unpack (winrar, winzip, 7-zip ...) it, there is a folder images and boot.img in it ;)

Do not forget to flash empty vbmeta.img first, see here

Last edited:

GildroY

Oct 10, 2017
I was able to successfully get root access using the additional step mentioned by @bosr (Thanks a lot for that). However post that I literally bricked my device trying to debloat the device by using debloater. Post removing few of the mi bloatware apps, when I rebooted and the device kept on going into default mi recovery (even with power + vol-). I was not able to access the fastboot mode at all, no matter what I do.

Then I did the ultimate blunder ... reset the device from mi recovery. Post that I lost adb privileges as well. Besides the phone would still not boot - MIUI logo flashed with sound, then a white setup screen for a sec and again reboot.

Searching online could not fetch anything. Then I tried moving the phone to mi assistance mode from mi recovery (which is nothing but sideload mode), connect to PC and used 'adb sideload'.

Voila, the phone was detected, from sideload mode, I was able to reboot to fastboot mode, and then flash the stock rom using miflashtool. Whole 4 hours of tussle.

Sharing here, just in case someone else, gets into the same situation.

!! BADLY WAITING FOR A CLEAN ROM FOR THIS DEVICE .... <Prayers>!!

Last edited:

bosr

Jul 4, 2021
It is strange.
I did it on two "10s" devices with EAA roms w/o problems.
Did you flash flash empty vbmeta.img first and boot.img than?
Did you use the latest platform-tools as previous ones are not able to flash directly to boot_a) automatically and you must use fastboot flash boot_a command instead.

GildroY

Oct 10, 2017
It is strange.
I did it on two "10s" devices with EAA roms w/o problems.
Did you flash flash empty vbmeta.img first and boot.img than?
Did you use the latest platform-tools as previous ones are not able to flash directly to boot_a) automatically and you must use fastboot flash boot_a command instead.
Apologies for incorrect use of language. What I meant was that your instructions were 100% correct and accurate. However, post getting root access successfully and magisk installed, I tried to debloat the device using 'debloater' module under Magisk and ended up deleting some rogue apps which Mi wants us to keep. All the issues happened after that.

I have updated my original comment as well.

Agzyx

Aug 22, 2021
Hi Y'all,

I just got a new Note 10s and I'm willing to root device.
I'm still in the phase of waiting for the unlocked bootloader, but already trying to get all the necessary data for root.

While searching for the fastbbot Rom to extract the boot.img I discovered the follwing problem:
I can only find the fastboot Rom for the following SW: V12.5.8.0.RKLEUXM
But my Note 10s is already on V12.5.10.0.RKLEUXM. For this SW only the recovery ROM is available.

How long will it take for Xiaomi to upload the latest fastboot ROM? Or am I doing something wrong,

Any help really appreciated
Andreas

Mac23

Aug 7, 2014
I also got a new Note 10s. I updated it to the latest available version (12.5.8.0 RKLEUXM, EEA).
Downloaded these ROMs (recovery and fastboot):
  • miui_ROSEMARYEEAGlobal_V12.5.8.0.RKLEUXM_b29e7c6a8a_11.0.zip
  • rosemary_eea_global_images_V12.5.8.0.RKLEUXM_20210617.0000.00_11.0_eea_6ec37534bb.tgz
But I didn't found any boot.img in the last fastboot one.

Finally I extracted boot.img from the first one (recovery) using payload_dumper - but what's wrong with the easier and usual way to extract it from the fastboot ROM? Isn't it available anymore inside this ROM?

@Agzyx
You could try the payload_dumper method to extract boot.img from recovery ROM.

Last edited:

Agzyx

Aug 22, 2021
@Mac23
payload_dumper may be a solution. I need to wait another 5 days for bootloader unlock anyway, so I have some more time before trying to gain root access.

@All
Is there a way to "downgrade" to V12.5.8.0.RKLEUXM?
Loss of data is no problem, as the phone will be rooted anyway in the future.

Andreas

bosr

Jul 4, 2021
I also got a new Note 10s. I updated it to the latest available version (12.5.8.0 RKLEUXM, EEA).
Downloaded these ROMs (recovery and fastboot):
  • miui_ROSEMARYEEAGlobal_V12.5.8.0.RKLEUXM_b29e7c6a8a_11.0.zip
  • rosemary_eea_global_images_V12.5.8.0.RKLEUXM_20210617.0000.00_11.0_eea_6ec37534bb.tgz
But I didn't found any boot.img in the last fastboot one.

Finally I extracted boot.img from the first one (recovery) using payload_dumper - but what's wrong with the easier and usual way to extract it from the fastboot ROM? Isn't it available anymore inside this ROM?

@Agzyx
You could try the payload_dumper method to extract boot.img from recovery ROM.
Not sure, what you are looking for, but boot.img is in the fastboot rom:
inside fastboot rom.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    !! Success !!
    The process I´ve rooted my Redmi Note 10s with V12.5.8.0.RKLEUXM ROM:
    (besides all needed drivers, adbs, proper fasboot ROM version, unlocked bootloader, little bit of a fear that the phone could be hard bricked and a few more) :
    - patched boot.img via magisk manager v23
    - flashed empty vbmeta.img as decribed here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/root-gained.4290689/
    - flashed patched_boot.img (the latest platform-tools flashed it directly to boot_a)
    - reboot
    Voila, Redmi Note 10s is rooted and Magisk v23 installed
    Hi bosr,

Which Rom should I use for the xiaomitool? The recovery rom or the fastboot rom (which I need anyway for the boot.img)?

Regards
    Andreas

It is MiFlash tool combined with MiUnlock tool, with a bunch of extra features (adb, fastboot, drivers auto installation, unbricking, bootloader unlocking,etc.)

Just one line from description:
    "Autonomous decision of installation type: fastboot, stock recovery, twrp, fastboot recovery and more to come"

I would suggest to try it and explore possibilities ;) before "hot" use
    Regarding AOD:
    Did you try to check, under Developer options option MIUI optimization? If it is on the display with AoD stays permanently on.

Rest of your questions cannot help as on my phone all what I need works, banking apps included.

Nonetheless do not think that it is neccessary to reset to factory settings.
    If it worked and it stopped to work after your experiments, you should be able to revert it ;)
    Hi bosr,

that was the trick. I had switched off the Miui optimization, after switching it on again, tasker is working as expected and AOD is also working as intended.

So no need for a factory reset.

One other thing about flashing Software with MiFlashTool. I tried with a fastboot Rom and the software stated the need for a TWRP installation first, which is not possible (yet).

While looking for the download of the recovery ROM, I found that XIAOMI published the fastboot Rom for the already installed version. So i did not try to install recovery ROM.

Andreas
    flash with fastboot flash boot bot.img
    But when I flash fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    C:\adb\fastboot.exe: unknown option -- disable-verity
    Return unknown option -- disable-verity

Edit: In Windows Power Shell return error then i try in cmd as administrator and start working .
    Thank you I successfully rooted my Redmi Note 10s.