• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question How to flash twrp recovery and root redmi note 10s?

Search This thread

bosr

Jul 4, 2021
Hi bosr,

Which Rom should I use for the xiaomitool? The recovery rom or the fastboot rom (which I need anyway for the boot.img)?

Regards
Andreas

It is MiFlash tool combined with MiUnlock tool, with a bunch of extra features (adb, fastboot, drivers auto installation, unbricking, bootloader unlocking,etc.)

Just one line from description:
"Autonomous decision of installation type: fastboot, stock recovery, twrp, fastboot recovery and more to come"

I would suggest to try it and explore possibilities ;) before "hot" use

Reactions: Agzyx

Agzyx

Aug 22, 2021
One question before I start:

Is this the right order:?
1. Unlock Bootloader
2. Downgrade the phone to the last version with a fastboot Rom published (AntiRollBack version is the same!) using MiFlashTool
3. copy boot.img to phone
4. run magisk on phone and patch boot.img
5. copy patched boot.img to PC and rename to boot.img
6. Flash empty vbmeta.img
7. flash patched boot.img
8. Reboot
9. Success

How to I upgrade to a higher software version afterwards?
1. Flash new ROM
and then again from step 3 from above or is there an easier way?

Mac23

Aug 7, 2014
Not sure, what you are looking for, but boot.img is in the fastboot rom:
View attachment 5394681

You are right! Seems to be an issue with the integrated archive viewer of Double Commander.
Using tar directly shows up boot.img:
Code:
tar --list -f 
rosemary_eea_global_images_V12.5.8.0.RKLEUXM_20210617.0000.00_11.0_eea/images/cust.img
rosemary_eea_global_images_V12.5.8.0.RKLEUXM_20210617.0000.00_11.0_eea/images/boot.img
rosemary_eea_global_images_V12.5.8.0.RKLEUXM_20210617.0000.00_11.0_eea/images/spmfw.img

bosr

Jul 4, 2021

1. Unlock Bootloader
2. Downgrade the phone to the last version with a fastboot Rom published (AntiRollBack version is the same!) using MiFlashTool
8. Reboot
9. Success

1. Flash new ROM

Upgrade to a higher ROM version as you described seems to be the only way.
I´ve tested an official Magisk guidance but it ended in fastboot bootloop softbrick.
I must fastboot flash clean boot.img (non of data lost :) ) and and follow steps from 3 to 9 afterwards

Agzyx

Aug 22, 2021

1. Unlock Bootloader
8. Reboot
9. Success

1. Flash new ROM
worked through my list, except for the downgrade of the software.

The corresponding fastboot rom was published just about before I wanted to start the downgrade..
Root was succcessful.
But only to data_b. The vbmeta.img and the boot.img automatically flashed to data_b.
Do I need to flash them to data_a as well?

Now after playing around a little bit (trying Island to run the banking app) I think I mixed up some or most of the settings.
The Always-on-Display is not switching off after 10 seconds even after triple checking the option in the settings. Also in Tasker I can not choose a local media Icon for a task. On top of that some of the permissions are mixed up as well.

I think I will reset the phone to factory settings.
Is root lost after that or still available?

Andreas

bosr

Jul 4, 2021
Regarding AOD:
Did you try to check, under Developer options option MIUI optimization? If it is on the display with AoD stays permanently on.

Rest of your questions cannot help as on my phone all what I need works, banking apps included.

Nonetheless do not think that it is neccessary to reset to factory settings.
If it worked and it stopped to work after your experiments, you should be able to revert it ;)

GAGANKXDA

Feb 12, 2015
Mumbai
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
You wont be able to find rosemary's twrps yet... But you can root this model unlocking bootloader and flashing a modified boot.img from magisk APK, you can follow this instructions to do that; (you'll need the redmi note 10 s original rom firmware to extract the boot img and you can get it from here: https://c.mi.com/es/miuidownload/detail?device=1900397)

1. First, extract the boot.img file from Redmi Note 10 firmware. You can use 7Zip or WinRAR.​
  2. Now install the Magisk Manager app on your phone.​
  3. Open the Magisk Manager app and click on the Install.
    How to Root Xiaomi Phones
  4. In the next step choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
  5. Browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.​
  6. The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.​
  7. Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.​
  8. Reboot your Redmi Note 10 to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer.​
  9. In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
  10. You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.​
    • fastboot devices
  11. Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Redmi Note 10.​
    • fastboot flash boot boot.img
  12. After flashing the patched boot image. reboot your device to the system.​
  13. Install Magisk Manager if it’s not already installed.​
  14. Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.​
That’s all, now your phone is rooted. You can check for root access using any root checker app. And once you have root access on your Redmi Note 10, you can enjoy all the apps and features that require root access. As you know Xiaomi phones show ads on some system apps that you can disable with root access. You can use different Xposed Modules to customize your phone. Also, you can install Xposed Framework on your phone to use modules.

Or if your system has an a/b partition you'll have to type this on your command window:

fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img

fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img
both methods did'nt worked, it stucks on fastboot login itself even after rebooting devices it reboots to fastboot state only..

Agzyx

Aug 22, 2021
Regarding AOD:
Did you try to check, under Developer options option MIUI optimization? If it is on the display with AoD stays permanently on.

Rest of your questions cannot help as on my phone all what I need works, banking apps included.

Nonetheless do not think that it is neccessary to reset to factory settings.
If it worked and it stopped to work after your experiments, you should be able to revert it ;)
Hi bosr,

that was the trick. I had switched off the Miui optimization, after switching it on again, tasker is working as expected and AOD is also working as intended.

So no need for a factory reset.

One other thing about flashing Software with MiFlashTool. I tried with a fastboot Rom and the software stated the need for a TWRP installation first, which is not possible (yet).

While looking for the download of the recovery ROM, I found that XIAOMI published the fastboot Rom for the already installed version. So i did not try to install recovery ROM.

Andreas

Agzyx

Aug 22, 2021
both methods did'nt worked, it stucks on fastboot login itself even after rebooting devices it reboots to fastboot state only..
Did you flash the empty vbmeta.img before the patched boot.img?
Did you have the right Software (exact software, which is on the phone)?

Maybe reflash the original ROM and start again?

On my phone everything worked like a charm.

Andreas

Mac23

Aug 7, 2014
Just for clarification:

I successfully rooted my Redmi Note 10s as described here.

This device has A/B partition scheme. I flashed it this way:
1. fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
2. fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-23000_JBKu8.img

Automatically the active partition (a in my case) was used, for example:
Code:
target reported max download size of 134217728 bytes
sending 'vbmeta_a' (4 KB)...
OKAY [  0.008s]
writing 'vbmeta_a'...
OKAY [  0.001s]
finished. total time: 0.009s

So am I'm right, that I also have to flash boot_b and vbmeta_b? If I don't do it, root will be lost at the next OTA, right?

bosr

Jul 4, 2021
Just for clarification:

I successfully rooted my Redmi Note 10s as described here.

This device has A/B partition scheme. I flashed it this way:
1. fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
2. fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-23000_JBKu8.img

Automatically the active partition (a in my case) was used, for example:
Code:
target reported max download size of 134217728 bytes
sending 'vbmeta_a' (4 KB)...
OKAY [  0.008s]
writing 'vbmeta_a'...
OKAY [  0.001s]
finished. total time: 0.009s

So am I'm right, that I also have to flash boot_b and vbmeta_b? If I don't do it, root will be lost at the next OTA, right?
OTA is not so easy. Read here in this thread or directly How to install OTA updates on rooted android devices using Magisk

Agzyx

Aug 22, 2021
I was able to successfully get root access using the additional step mentioned by @bosr (Thanks a lot for that). However post that I literally bricked my device trying to debloat the device by using debloater. Post removing few of the mi bloatware apps, when I rebooted and the device kept on going into default mi recovery (even with power + vol-). I was not able to access the fastboot mode at all, no matter what I do.

Then I did the ultimate blunder ... reset the device from mi recovery. Post that I lost adb privileges as well. Besides the phone would still not boot - MIUI logo flashed with sound, then a white setup screen for a sec and again reboot.

Searching online could not fetch anything. Then I tried moving the phone to mi assistance mode from mi recovery (which is nothing but sideload mode), connect to PC and used 'adb sideload'.

Voila, the phone was detected, from sideload mode, I was able to reboot to fastboot mode, and then flash the stock rom using miflashtool. Whole 4 hours of tussle.

Sharing here, just in case someone else, gets into the same situation.

!! BADLY WAITING FOR A CLEAN ROM FOR THIS DEVICE .... <Prayers>!!
Hi GildroY,

which software did you debloat successfully?
I'm also looking for some debloating my note10s.

Based on your experience do not want to try around and brick my device (at least not before a full TRWP backup is possible).

Andreas

bosr

Jul 4, 2021
Hi GildroY,

which software did you debloat successfully?
I'm also looking for some debloating my note10s.

Based on your experience do not want to try around and brick my device (at least not before a full TRWP backup is possible).

Andreas
I would take it from the other side. What do you want to debloat?
Instead of immediate uninstall, you can try "freeze" application first and delete if it did not cause problems.
It is generally better proceed in steps, ie. 1 app per 1 attempt :)

HeiloWorid

Oct 22, 2020
flash with fastboot flash boot bot.img
But when I flash fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
C:\adb\fastboot.exe: unknown option -- disable-verity
Return unknown option -- disable-verity

Edit: In Windows Power Shell return error then i try in cmd as administrator and start working .
Thank you I successfully rooted my Redmi Note 10s.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    !! Success !!
    The process I´ve rooted my Redmi Note 10s with V12.5.8.0.RKLEUXM ROM:
    (besides all needed drivers, adbs, proper fasboot ROM version, unlocked bootloader, little bit of a fear that the phone could be hard bricked and a few more) :
    - patched boot.img via magisk manager v23
    - flashed empty vbmeta.img as decribed here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/root-gained.4290689/
    - flashed patched_boot.img (the latest platform-tools flashed it directly to boot_a)
    - reboot
    Voila, Redmi Note 10s is rooted and Magisk v23 installed
    Hi bosr,

Which Rom should I use for the xiaomitool? The recovery rom or the fastboot rom (which I need anyway for the boot.img)?

Regards
    Andreas

It is MiFlash tool combined with MiUnlock tool, with a bunch of extra features (adb, fastboot, drivers auto installation, unbricking, bootloader unlocking,etc.)

Just one line from description:
    "Autonomous decision of installation type: fastboot, stock recovery, twrp, fastboot recovery and more to come"

I would suggest to try it and explore possibilities ;) before "hot" use