[HOW TO] Flash U1 firmware to U device

Search This thread

SAVVAS.

Dec 18, 2010
Hello guys, I have a S9+ G965U bought from EBAY and it has Verizon branding. I want to add the unbranded one, U1 XAA version. My bootloader is 7, my android version is 9, I tried 2 Odin patched versions (3.13 and latest 3.14) and I downloaded 2 XAA U1 firmwares with bootloader 7 , both Android 9 and 10. No luck at all. Odin stays freezed, the log says ''Setup Connection'' , you wait a few minuted and later on says ''can't open serial Port''. S9 usb drivers and ADB drivers installed.

Bear in mind, I have also a Note 9 (Exynos) which I tested to see if my usb port or cable was wrong and it worked fine and updated its software with Odin. Only this S9+ Snapdragon US Verizon version is not working and has those logs I just told.

Any help?

Thanks.

Attachments

• ODIN.JPG
    ODIN.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 194

njdan30

Jul 6, 2011
palmyra
Hello guys, I have a S9+ G965U bought from EBAY and it has Verizon branding. I want to add the unbranded one, U1 XAA version. My bootloader is 7, my android version is 9, I tried 2 Odin patched versions (3.13 and latest 3.14) and I downloaded 2 XAA U1 firmwares with bootloader 7 , both Android 9 and 10. No luck at all. Odin stays freezed, the log says ''Setup Connection'' , you wait a few minuted and later on says ''can't open serial Port''. S9 usb drivers and ADB drivers installed.

Bear in mind, I have also a Note 9 (Exynos) which I tested to see if my usb port or cable was wrong and it worked fine and updated its software with Odin. Only this S9+ Snapdragon US Verizon version is not working and has those logs I just told.

Any help?

Thanks.
I recently picked up the same s9+ used Verizon version and im now running u1 software just fine, I used patched version 3.13 . When Odin is open it says odin3B if that helps. Are you on windows 10? I had an issue with drivers and device manager I had to keep uninstalling and reinstalling each time I connected until I finally reset computer, actually refreshed it without losing files.

Reactions: SAVVAS.

salennon07

May 25, 2020
Hey guys, I think I'm in the right spot but this is my first post so take it easy on me.

I have an s9 plus that was unlocked by us cellular. I ported over to total wireless and for the most part everything seems to be working correctly minus one thing. I can't get volte to work correctly, whenever I make a phone call my Data turns off. I think I need volte with Verizon getting rid of everything else this year??

Anyway, I'm assuming it's not working because my phone still boots up with the US cellular screen and has other uscc apps even with a factory reset.

Can someone please direct me to which version of Odin to use and the correct u1 firmware for s9 plus. Thanks a lot in advance!

I have SM-G960U too, looking for VoLTE. my firmware details :

PDA/AP Version: G960USQU3BRJ5
CSC Version: G960UOYN3BRJ5
MODEM/CP Version: G960USQU3BRJ5
Android version: 8.0.0
Samsung Experience version: 9.0
Baseband version: G960USQU3BRJ5
Kernel version: 496514537311 dpiasWDG4718 #1 Mon Oct 15 18:43:57 KST 2018
Build number: R16NW.G960USQU3BRJ5
SE for Android status: Enforcing SEPF_SM-G9600_8.0.0_0017 Mon Oct 15 18:53:03 2018
Knox version: Knox 3.1 Knox API level 25 TIMA 4.0.0
Service provider SW ver.: SAOMC_SM-G960U_OYN_AIO_00_0060 4135324133583398 AIO/XAA/AIO
Security software version: MDF 3.1 Release 2 WLAN V1.0 Release 1 VPN PP MOD v2.1 Release 1.1 ASKS 11:45 Release 180123 FIPS Boringssl V12 FIPS SKC v1.9 FIPS SCrypto v2.2 SMR Oct-2018 Release 1
Android security patch level: October 1 2018

Following app has been removed
Cricket App: Cricket WifI Manager, WiFI Calling, ATT Voice Mail
pm uninstall --user 0 com.mizmowireless.acctmgt
pm uninstall --user 0 com.smithmicro.netwise.director.cricket
pm uninstall --user 0 com.sec.unifiedwfc
pm uninstall --user 0 com.dti.cricket
pm uninstall --user 0 com.mizmowireless.vvm

Kindly Help, 2018 phone without volte

Last edited:
It does for some US carriers, like T-Mobile, because it is a US multi-carrier firmware. How that translates into working internationally though, can be hit and miss.

my SM-G960 show cricket logo at boot

If it works for TMobile VoLTE, then it should work with others too. Which version Should I flash in order to get "U1"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200807-163051_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20200807-163051_Settings.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 59

jcsww

my SM-G960 show cricket logo at boot

If it works for TMobile VoLTE, then it should work with others too. Which version Should I flash in order to get "U1"

The U1 isn't fully compatible with every carrier, but it is a nice option for those who use T-Mobile as an alternative to having a device with bloatware in it outside of Samsung's crap and the Google crap no one wants either. VoLTE for the U1 firmware works with Bell in Canada and on Freedom in Canada. I haven't had any luck with Telus Canada, it doesn't work on AT&T, and that is about the extent of what I have tried. That's not saying it can't, but different carriers have different implementations and reasons as to why things don't work. AT&T for example, will only allow things like WiFi Calling and VoLTE to work on devices they sell to you directly. Even if you flash to the AT&T U firmware, VoLTE and WiFi Calling may work for a day or two but once the network detects your non-AT&T device, it will block you from using those services.

kiipii

Feb 3, 2011

Any help?

Thanks.

Any luck fixing this? I'm in the same boat currently. Tried various versions of Odin, patched and un-patched, and several different USB cables, ports, 2 different PCs...

kool-penguin

Sep 27, 2020
Hi, I have an unlocked g960u running outdated TMB firmware. I am based in the UK so can't get OTA updates so want to flash. Just wondering what the benefits of flashing the XAA firmware are? I'm not concerned with removing bloatware. I would like to get updates (via SmartSwitch) but I'm not sure if that's possible?

Youdoofus

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2011
Sioux Falls, SD
Samsung Galaxy S9
It does for some US carriers, like T-Mobile, because it is a US multi-carrier firmware. How that translates into working internationally though, can be hit and miss.

i use Cricket and VoLTE does not work with my U1 firmware, but it doesnt really make any difference. My fiancees phone is using stock Cricket FW and its the exact same phone. Ive been handed her phone to talk to people and she does have VoLTE enabled. There is a difference, but i dont like VoLTE. It sounds very digital. Like a compressed MP3

jcsww

i use Cricket and VoLTE does not work with my U1 firmware, but it doesnt really make any difference. My fiancees phone is using stock Cricket FW and its the exact same phone. Ive been handed her phone to talk to people and she does have VoLTE enabled. There is a difference, but i dont like VoLTE. It sounds very digital. Like a compressed MP3

The difference is having the devices IMEI in the carriers system. US Cellular and AT&T do the same as well, If they didn't sell it, they won't allow certain features to work on that device, no matter what.

Youdoofus

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2011
Sioux Falls, SD
Samsung Galaxy S9
The U1 isn't fully compatible with every carrier, but it is a nice option for those who use T-Mobile as an alternative to having a device with bloatware in it outside of Samsung's crap and the Google crap no one wants either. VoLTE for the U1 firmware works with Bell in Canada and on Freedom in Canada. I haven't had any luck with Telus Canada, it doesn't work on AT&T, and that is about the extent of what I have tried. That's not saying it can't, but different carriers have different implementations and reasons as to why things don't work. AT&T for example, will only allow things like WiFi Calling and VoLTE to work on devices they sell to you directly. Even if you flash to the AT&T U firmware, VoLTE and WiFi Calling may work for a day or two but once the network detects your non-AT&T device, it will block you from using those services.

it absolutely works on AT&T and its MVNO's as well. I have tried a H2O card, a pre and post paid AT&T card and my current Cricket service is (as you likely already know) an AT&T MVNO and it works perfectly fine on U1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all, thanks to Raymonf (I dont know his XDA Username) for making these Odin files. This new version of modded Odin allows for flashing custom and official tars AND also compressed binaries, which Samsung will be using in all Odin firmwares from Oreo on.

Oh and doing this doesnt wipe data if you do exactly what I wrote below.

1. Download your devices firmware from below
    2. Enable USB debugging by going to settings > about phone > software info > click build number 7 times and enter your password
    3. Open command prompt on your PC and type adb reboot bootloader
    4. Open odin and select the AP, BL, CP, and HOME_CSC file in their corresponding locations
    5. Start it
    6. You are there!

To go back, do the exact same thing with the U firmware files!
    Hey guys, I'm kinda new to Samsung again, I had a S2 and later a S5, but things have changed since then a whole lot with the rooting not possible on Qualcomm units.

I want to get rid of the bloat but I don't want to trip Knox if there is actually no rooting right now so I want to ask again (it's been asked before, I know I know, and have read through every post here), will this trip Knox if I flash U1 firmware to my T-Mobile U phone? And secondly, Is there a specific rom/firmware version to flash depending on the latest firmware version on the phone?

I guess that someone would have had to do it to answer, I just don't want to risk the phone just yet, although I got half price by trading in my wife's S7 I still have a long way to go with this phone, hehehe.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1. It will not trip Knox
    2. 2nd post on this thread
    Try it with the other firmwares posted above, No reason it wouldn't work.

After flashing the u1 to my Verizon u

I got what I wanted, wifi calling

Then I used *#2263# but I really don't know how to use that mode so I just clicked enable all LTE

Rebooted and no boot animation from my carrier and visual voicemail also works.

Video calling does not but I think it has something to do with the phone/dialer that these firmware comes with.

Thanks for this everyone!!!!!!!
    Thanks a lot, quick question, i have an at&t "U" model, manage to install the U1 software (wanna get rid of all the at&t apps), everything its working just fine, but when an update comes to the U1 model, can i install it the regular way on odin, or do a need to follow this steps again??

here's the link i use from another post to dowload the system a bit faster: https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=257047 greatings to the author.