[HOW-TO] force 4.1 Jelly Bean Update

rparkerbsgg

Dec 27, 2010
Bootloop after OTA

SO i got my JB OTA yesterday, it downloaded ok, then it went though its install process.. However when the phone reboots it gets stuck in a bootloop..??

I have a completely stock GNex on 4.0.4 yakju.. this should not be happening, my phone doesnt want to enjoy the little beans of jelly.!
HAs anyone else had this or know what i can do... tres pain in the ass

jpandino2003

Nov 22, 2009
Finally got my Nexus to start downloading Jelly Bean after 3 days of nonstop tapping the check now. Follow these steps an you will be using the buttery goodness like me.

-Go into Setting -> Apps -> All -> Google Services Framework
-You will see a button for “Clear Data”; clear it.
-Go into your dialer and type *#*#2432546#*#* - This will cause a ‘force checkin’. You will notice that it shows “checkin succeeded” across the top.
Go back to Setting -> About Phone -> System updates and then click the check now button.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much. The instructions worked perfectly and my phone is updating now as we speak :)

alonsodhv

Jul 14, 2012
Hi everyone!
Do you guys know if having a rooted phone could affect if I get the update or not?
I don't think so, since a while back I got the 4.0.4 update being rooted!

Thx!

ericcarboni

Feb 27, 2011
This has not worked for me so far. I'll just go back in line and wait my turn I suppose.
Same with me. I've even tried this at least 5 times before.

I'm sticking with the idea that this is coincidental. It'll only work if your device is in the batch that is ready for an update.

pwns

May 14, 2012
Worked for me this morning. I checked for the update and got nothing. Then I cleared the framework cache, checked again and there it was. I was running stock ics on Wi-Fi with a fully charged battery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

hp13

Feb 17, 2011
Toronto
I think there's a lot of steps that are being added in and making a ton of variants of this frameworks... 'exploit'.

People might just have the right timing or something...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
Thats exactly what happened. day before i went complete stock and used it for a day and kept checking for update and nothing then i went back to custom rom. Then again i tried complete stock and i got update first try,, LUCK and Time :laugh:

Zuzler

Feb 14, 2009
HOLY BALLS!!! IT WORKED!!!
On the 4.0.4 it didn't, but I chose to give it a try anyway. Thanks so much :laugh::good:

edit: I already tried for 4 days, just clearing the google services. Twice a day or so.
edit2: some more data: non-branded yakju from stock 4.0.4, via WiFi (and also logged in standard network, of course), unlocked bootloader, not rooted

Last edited:

shanktech

Nov 10, 2010
Should this process also be working for yakjuxw? Is there any regional constraint also as I live in India.

wssjunk

Apr 20, 2012
Atlanta
Worked Immediately

This worked for me as soon as I tried it. Thanks! I checked for update, phone said it was up to date (at ICS 4.04, yakju). I followed the instructions here and my GNex was already downloading the update 30 seconds later.

royale192

Nov 4, 2009
Williamsburg
Thanks to everyone who has posted on this. I tried it same as everyone who is having luck. First tried the check for update. "system up to date" message with date stamp. Then cleared framework and tried again on cellular radio "system up to date message". Switched to wifi cleared framework and first try auto downloaded 4.1. I did also restart before check the last time. I know this seems to be beaten to death over if it does or does not work. I do believe it works with wifi, as is said wifi download only till july 15 2012. Thanks again to all for your input and help that you have given other's.

deepaknepal

Dec 28, 2009
thanks

I followed the following steps to get the OTA update in the first attempt.

i) Force stop the Google Services Framework.
ii)Clear data of Google Services Framework
iii) Go to System Updates and check again and voila !!!

thanks!!!! it worked