How To Guide How to force HDR and maximum brightness on Samsung flagships

Search This thread
I didn't find any tutorial to do this, so i started searching by myself, i almost fried my S21 Ultra but it was worth it. Now i can provide a working tutorial to everyone. This works on S21s for sure, it should also work on other models

1 - Forcing HDR: only available on HDR(10+) videos. Now you can force this yellow-ish tint and better color accuracy everywhere (yes, even when gaming)

i strongly recommend you to use FX explorer.

Create a xbin folder in /system (this is important, don't create it elsewhere)
Inside, create an empty file with no extension: hdr
Open it as text, write 1 and save it
Create a second empty file, name it forcehdr (you can name it whatever you want, make sure you'll remember it later)
Open it as text, and write this:

cp /system/xbin/hdr /sys/devices/platform/panel_drv_0/lcd/panel/mdnie

Save it, and give it execute permissions (octal: 0755). Now you can execute it in a terminal or directly from FX explorer (as root of course !)

----------

2 - Maximum brightness: you already know that your screen gets significantly brighter under the sunlight. Now you'll be able to force this level anytime:

Go to /sys/devices/platform/panel_drv_0/backlight/panel
Take a look at the max brightness value of your screen ("max_brightness") mine is 561 (this value may change a little bit depending of your model)

Go to /system/xbin
Like before, create an empty file, you'll call it "brightness"
And an executable file

Repeat the same process: write your max brightness value inside "brightness" file, save it. Open your executable and write this

cp /system/xbin/brightness /sys/devices/platform/panel_drv_0/backlight/panel

Execute it in a terminal or in FX

-----------

Note: Please don't stay too long in .../lcd/panel folder. On some files explorers (those which preview the file content, like FX unfortunately) will make your screen flicker, shutdown for a few seconds, having artifacts, this may be not good

Last edited:

rogeros123

Sep 21, 2015
Kraków
Create a xbin folder in /system (this is important, don't create it elsewhere)
Inside, create an empty file with no extension: hdr
Open it as text, write 1 and save it
Create a second empty file, name it forcehdr (you can name it whatever you want, make sure you'll remember it later)
Open it as text, and write this:

cp /system/xbin/hdr /sys/devices/platform/panel_drv_0/lcd/panel/mdnie

I tried to do it on Note 10+ android 12 but stopped at the command. I have a "[email protected]" directory on my device. Your comment doesn't work and changing the command directory to my "[email protected]" also doesn't work.

I tried to do it on Note 10+ android 12 but stopped at the command. I have a "[email protected]" directory on my device. Your comment doesn't work and changing the command directory to my "[email protected]" also doesn't work.
That's why i said "it should" (to make people understand that it may not work on their devices)

The Note 10+ is old compared to S21s.
This doesn't surprise me...

Since i don't have a Galaxy N10, i can't make all the work and tell you how to do it, you'll have to search by yourself, like i did, but i can help.

Search manually or automatically in screen related folders (panel-x, panel_xxx_xxx etc...) for HDR related files (basically a boolean). Don't be afraid to do some tests and open files to change a 0 to a 1.

Once you found the correct file which controls HDR, repeat the same process, create an executable, empty file...

But i have one question (i mean two), when you execute yours, do you have an error as output ? If yes, what is it ?