How to format 64gb micro sd card to Fat32 to work on SGS3

Search This thread

tempests

Jul 23, 2008
Florida
Here is how I got mine going on my Samsung Galaxy S3 Sprint model with a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A)

I used Mini Tool Partition Wizard Home Edition http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Home-Edition/3000-2094_4-10962200.html

NOTE - Backup any files you wish to keep 1st. Power down phone before removing card.

1. Install after download
2. Select the card (in my case it was drive E:)
3. Click on Delete from the top between Create & Format
4. Click Apply on the far left hand side, this will take like 30 sec to a few min to run depending upon your system/card speed.
5. Click Create from the top between Merge & Delete.
6. In the Create As: dropdown choose Primary. In the File System dropdown choose Fat32. In the Cluster Size: drop down choose 32k. Click Ok.
7. Click Apply at the top left hand side and then Yes, it will take like 10-15 sec to apply then click OK.
8. Click Format at the top between Delete and Copy.
9. In the File System: drop down choose Fat32. In the Cluster Size: drop down choose 32k. Then click OK
10. Click Apply at the top left hand side, then Yes to proceed. It will take a few seconds to do, then click OK.
11. Close the program and that should do it.
12. Put the card back into your phone and power back up again.

Clockwork Mod backups, Titanium Backups, moving apps all worked after that and see's 64GB of space.

Hope it helps!

I know this is an old post, but it just saved my Butt!
Thank You

Reactions: cL0uD`

hbcasurfer

Mar 4, 2012
Well....

Not sure what I was doing right (or wrong)...
but this morning I got the SD formatter to work for me & my card is working formatted fat32!
Thanks to all for the help!
very appreciated!
Now.....what is the best & easiest way to root my sprint GS3? LOL

Bowmanspeer

Jul 18, 2011
Oregon
The 16 GB SD card is most likely fat32. The 64 GB card brings us to the purpose of this thread. Read the steps and follow them and it will work with little variance from what's written. Take your time and also don't be afraid to try a different program beside EaseUS.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

liaquat2020

Aug 16, 2010
Bangalore, India
How to format Damaged 64GB MicroSD

I have formatted a newly purchased 64 GB Samsung Class 10 MicroSD with ExFat. After that while transferring the backup files, there was a power failure due to which the task could not be completed/ PC shut down prematurely. Now, the card is not recognised by my Galaxy Note II and it shows 254.86 GB in my PC XP3 system. I have tried EaseUS Partition Master, Mini Tool Partition Wizard, GuiFormat, etc but not able to format it. The volume amount is also varying in each tool such as FAT 32 FORMAT shows as 273 GB. Please guide me if this card is totally damaged or it can be formatted.

erkme73

Apr 20, 2008
I have formatted a newly purchased 64 GB Samsung Class 10 MicroSD with ExFat. After that while transferring the backup files, there was a power failure due to which the task could not be completed/ PC shut down prematurely. Now, the card is not recognised by my Galaxy Note II and it shows 254.86 GB in my PC XP3 system. I have tried EaseUS Partition Master, Mini Tool Partition Wizard, GuiFormat, etc but not able to format it. The volume amount is also varying in each tool such as FAT 32 FORMAT shows as 273 GB. Please guide me if this card is totally damaged or it can be formatted.

Put it in your PC, open a dos window (cmd) and type 'chkdsk X: /F /R', where X: the drive letter assigned by your PC.

LastProRican

Nov 15, 2013
Thankyou This helped me

I had a 64GB micro SDXC card that wasn't being recognized by my SGH-m919 this taught me a valuable lesson that I need to format memory if its not being recognized.

cbomb101

Oct 5, 2012
melbourne
I got mine running exfat 64 gig. I think what i did was like open it in a partition program and remove a 10mb partition of it. I cant fully remember as it was ages ago but its been months and is all good! Not wrecked even when my phone would freeze and need restarting the memory is still good and the data still perfect.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

yepiyo

Jan 1, 2010
Micro SD 64Gb > 27Gb only!

hello, I'm french so sorry if there are some mistakes..I'll try to do my best

My problem: I have a 64Gb sandisk micro sd
Since I made some changes with CWM and roms from cyanogen, I formated my microsd and it is now a 27Gb Micro SD

In the phone: 27Gb
In the computer with SD adapter in usb: 27Gb

I tried to format with many softwares:
partition software from windows 7: same
partition easeus partition
minitool partition wizard: delete partition, create , fat 32 etc...

SAME...
Its now in fat 32 with 32 size clusters

How do you think I can solve it?

nemesisgx

Jul 3, 2013
USA.Ft wayne
OY!! i did what you said and not my 64g gig lost 4 gigs of space after format did anyone had the same issues or am i the only one some one let me know because im confuse 4gig are 4 gig come on now

jcespi2005

Feb 15, 2006
Madrid
OnePlus 9 Pro
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
OY!! i did what you said and not my 64g gig lost 4 gigs of space after format did anyone had the same issues or am i the only one some one let me know because im confuse 4gig are 4 gig come on now

64 Gbits are aprox 59 Gbytes ;)

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

and mine with 27.5Go ? ;)

I think you need to delete the actual partition and create a new one, instead of formating... format only actues on the actual partirion, but you need to delete and create a new one...

Did you try?

kamikaze702k

Jun 12, 2013
London
The best way I find is using a Windows tool eu partition but I prefer minitool, it's free, backup ur data on ur card, insert into usb slot on ur computer, open minitool, make sure u select the correct desired drive in which the card is in, most cases it's drive E but double check and make sure before u proceed.

1.from the tabs at the top click delete, then apply

2.click create, select primary, FAT32, cluster size 32kb, click ok, then apply.

3.done! Ur exFAT should now be FAT32 if you've completed it correctly.

(Even thou it's a 64GB card it will have some reserved space to perform tasks and operation, usually you'll get 59/60GB, same thing with any card size 32GB cards you get around 28/29GB it's normal so don't be alarmed this, this is been around since first ever 1GB card was released)

Sent from my GT-I9195

Last edited:
Reactions: wesley404

Mandrix8

Apr 17, 2013
Hamburg
After install NeatROM slim, my S3 won´t recognized the 64gb SDcard. Now with this helpfull advice all works fine after Partition on FAT32.
now I can enjoy my 64gb MicroSd.
I just did what you told us and i have my sd card 64GB working in my SGS3 :good::good::good::good::good:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :cool:

eozdalga

Oct 21, 2010
Mountain View
Hi guys,
I faced a problem with my 64gb. Sandisk micro SD and I solved the issue and I thought about posting the solution here that might help some of you.
so... the issue I faced is how to get TWRP recovery or CWM to mount my Ex sd card.
basically the problem is that the card is formatted in exfat or NTFS and in both ways it won't be recognized by TWRP and the only way to formate it in fat32 is by only one software because windows can not format more than 32gb in Fat32.
and here is how:

first: download EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition from this link http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html?tag=mncol%3bpop&cdlPid=10982635

Second : Now you can see a list of all of your hard drives. Note the one highlighted in blue on the grid. This is my 64GB MicroSDXC card in my USB Card Reader. Obviously the location of your card in the list may differ dependant on the number of drives in your computer

You’ll need to right-click on the drive in the list representing your 64GB MicroSDXC card and click “Format partition”

Third : You need to select FAT32 for the File System, and 32KB for Cluster Size.
EaseUS doesn’t immediately apply the changes you specify. Instead, it queues them up so that you can review and revise them before you commit to having the program affect those changes. then we need to press the Apply button.

that's it ... now you can enjoy your 64gb MicroSd and you can mount it in TWRP or CWM recovery .

your welcome :)

BE ADVISED! While other options for me on XDA didn't work, this above program did. However, if you you install via custom and uncheck most items, it will still intall multiple spam programs (search conduit, download now and something called watchTV or something like that). It messed chrome search until I was able to find them all (hoepfully all) and uninstall.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,
    I faced a problem with my 64gb. Sandisk micro SD and I solved the issue and I thought about posting the solution here that might help some of you.
    so... the issue I faced is how to get TWRP recovery or CWM to mount my Ex sd card.
    basically the problem is that the card is formatted in exfat or NTFS and in both ways it won't be recognized by TWRP and the only way to formate it in fat32 is by only one software because windows can not format more than 32gb in Fat32.
    and here is how:

first: download EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition from this link http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html?tag=mncol%3bpop&cdlPid=10982635

Second : Now you can see a list of all of your hard drives. Note the one highlighted in blue on the grid. This is my 64GB MicroSDXC card in my USB Card Reader. Obviously the location of your card in the list may differ dependant on the number of drives in your computer

You’ll need to right-click on the drive in the list representing your 64GB MicroSDXC card and click “Format partition”

Third : You need to select FAT32 for the File System, and 32KB for Cluster Size.
    EaseUS doesn’t immediately apply the changes you specify. Instead, it queues them up so that you can review and revise them before you commit to having the program affect those changes. then we need to press the Apply button.

that's it ... now you can enjoy your 64gb MicroSd and you can mount it in TWRP or CWM recovery .

your welcome :)
    Here is how I got mine going on my Samsung Galaxy S3 Sprint model with a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A)

I used Mini Tool Partition Wizard Home Edition http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Home-Edition/3000-2094_4-10962200.html

NOTE - Backup any files you wish to keep 1st. Power down phone before removing card.

1. Install after download
    2. Select the card (in my case it was drive E:)
    3. Click on Delete from the top between Create & Format
    4. Click Apply on the far left hand side, this will take like 30 sec to a few min to run depending upon your system/card speed.
    5. Click Create from the top between Merge & Delete.
    6. In the Create As: dropdown choose Primary. In the File System dropdown choose Fat32. In the Cluster Size: drop down choose 32k. Click Ok.
    7. Click Apply at the top left hand side and then Yes, it will take like 10-15 sec to apply then click OK.
    8. Click Format at the top between Delete and Copy.
    9. In the File System: drop down choose Fat32. In the Cluster Size: drop down choose 32k. Then click OK
    10. Click Apply at the top left hand side, then Yes to proceed. It will take a few seconds to do, then click OK.
    11. Close the program and that should do it.
    12. Put the card back into your phone and power back up again.

Clockwork Mod backups, Titanium Backups, moving apps all worked after that and see's 64GB of space.

Hope it helps!
    Just use Guiformat...small app attached
    I was looking to format my card to Fat32 so I can use a Paranoid Android Rom. What happens when I want to flash another ROM and the new ROM is a Tochwiz Rom... Will I need to unformat the card or reverse it someway? I'm a newbie to this stuff.

No. Touchwizz roms and aokp/cm10 roms can both read fat32 sd cards. Because exfat is licenced from Microsoft AOKP can't incorporate the drivers needed to get exfat formatted card to work.

Short story is both roms can read/write to fat32 formatted sd cards. Only Touchwizz roms can read/write to exfat formatted cards. Unless you copy a lot of single files over 4GB in size stick with fat32 formatting. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    GUI Format is an easy to use and fast solution too.