• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

How to get Clockwork recovery, busybox, & root on 8/26 leaked RUU 3.21.605.1

Search This thread

TNS201

Feb 11, 2010
Making a thread for this for now since it will probably get buried in the RUU post.

Most important thing first, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE RAN UNREVOKED FOREVER AND HAVE S-OFF! IF NOT DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS!

Get the RUU here:

http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Inc...4k_NV_1.50_PRL58006_release_143351_signed.exe

Follow this guide by IncredibleDoes to extract the rom.zip update here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695825&highlight=RUU
(don't download the file he tells you to, download the one linked above, but follow the rest of the guide to get the rom.zip file)

Once you get the rom.zip, follow this guide below:

1. Install this update, get rom.zip from the RUU file, rename to PB31IMG.ZIP (somewhere in this thread there is a post with link to rom.zip, but you still have to rename it), make sure your SD-Card was formatted as Fat32 and put this on the root.
2. Boot into hboot
3. Install PB31IMG.ZIP (not the one I attached to this post)
**Step 3 note** Your phone might reboot to either hboot or recovery after trying to install PB31IMG.ZIP, just get back to hboot and install again, when you get back to hboot you should notice its version .92 and S-OFF is still on, just install PB31IMG.ZIP again and all should be good. I believe at one point after it updates hboot it has to reboot to finish the install, so this might be what you are seeing.
4. Reboot, setup your google account, etc. (note first boot might take a few minutes and appear that your phone is stuck at the droid eye animation, be patient and don't do a battery pull)
5. Put the files I attached to this post on root of your SD-Card
***Files are PB31IMG.ZIP (this is not the update, either delete the other PB31IMG.ZIP or rename it to PB31IMG.BAK, this is just clockwork recovery in the PB31IMG.ZIP) , busybox.zip (remove the.zip extension, so the file is just busybox) ,payload-update.zip, and su-2.3.2.1-ef-signed.zip***
6. Power down phone and boot to hboot (hold optical button + power)
7. Install PB31IMG.ZIP in hboot, this installs clockwork recovery
8. Once that is done installing, press volume down, so your phone doesnt reboot, then select recovery
9. Once you boot into recovery choose install zip from SD-Card, then choose payload-update.zip
10. After that installs, choose to install another zip and install su-2.3.2.1-ef-signed.zip
11. Reboot and enjoy your rooted phone.

***Update*** I didn't realize busybox wasn't in the payload-update.zip I have attached it to this post. This site wouldn't let me post it without an extension, so rename busybox.zip --> busybox with no .zip extension. Also you can easily go to the market and download busybox, this requires root, which you will have, and it will install busybox for you after you click install.

Might as well put the usual disclaimer while I am editing this.

I take no responsibility for what you do to your phone, any issues, explosions, or bricks are caused at your own discretion.

Attachments

• PB31IMG.ZIP
    2.9 MB · Views: 557
  • payload-update.zip
    184 KB · Views: 1,395
  • su-2.3.2.1-ef-signed.zip
    134.6 KB · Views: 332
  • busybox.zip
    905.8 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:

TNS201

Feb 11, 2010
Rom.zip will update the hboot, splash, OS AND Radio correct?

Yes

This updates your hboot to .92 and OS and I don't think the splash changes, but it is in the update. The radio will update if you don't already have the 2.15 radio installed.

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
Why can't we JUST flash the OS? I already have 2.15 radio, and I don't care about Hboot.

Can't we just flash the OS and leave everything else the same? Like other custom ROMs?

TNS201

Feb 11, 2010
Why can't we JUST flash the OS? I already have 2.15 radio, and I don't care about Hboot.

Can't we just flash the OS and leave everything else the same? Like other custom ROMs?

You could, but this is just the way to do things now until someone puts out a rom. If you install this as-is, unrevoked 3 doesnt work anymore. This is a workaround to get root and recovery on your phone. I think the hboot .92 blocks unrevoked 3 from working, seems thats the part it failed for me was when it was in hboot. Of course we could always downgrade hboot.

Last edited:

tats_06

Dec 7, 2009

If you wait a little bit, I am 100% positive we will have that option. Give devs some time. ;)

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
You could, but this is just the way to do things now until someone puts out a rom. If you install this as-is, unrevoked 3 doesnt work anymore. This is a workaround to get root and recovery on your phone. I think the hboot .92 blocks unrevoked 3 from working, seems thats the part it failed for me was when it was in hboot. Of course we could always downgrade hboot.
Ok, can't you just create an update with the system.img and flash that in Clockwork? Don't know enough about creating the package to do that but wouldn't that be all there is?

TNS201

Feb 11, 2010
I know, like everyone else - the smell of a fresh leak is hard to resist. I can wait though. The 8/1 leak with some tweaks has been working great for me :D

If you follow the guide above everything will be fine. Just you will have an updated hboot.

Anyone got a PB31IMG.ZIP that can downgrade hboot to .77?

I know its hard to resist installing a new leak, that's why I already did :)

andybones

Forum Moderator / Inactive Recognized Dev
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Guys you gotta give devs time to DEVelope, and to POST there new stuff. this leak just came about last night.

if you notice this is the 4TH leak, AND like the 3 previous leaks, there has been ROMs built from the leaks, AND ROMs of the leak, so give it time, this is just for those who have S-OFF have no patience. and are WILLING and nice enough to test and share there information.

people with S-OFF have the option of doing this, and of coarse downgrading hboot, blah blah, if you don't want to deal with all that, (which is me) wait for the awesome devs to do there thing, and release there stuff. you know Adrynalye is all over this, and will have a 4th wave put out when he has the time. patience is a virtue. too bad me and most don't have much.

obededom

Aug 20, 2009
Ohio
I just pulled a whopping 20.6 in Linpack...whoa, Nelly. I'm sure I'll get a speeding ticket with this beast! :eek::eek::eek:

(for those with are missing a sense of humor: I know, I just thought it was interesting)

sic4672

Sep 26, 2009
If you follow the guide above everything will be fine. Just you will have an updated hboot.

Anyone got a PB31IMG.ZIP that can downgrade hboot to .77?

I know its hard to resist installing a new leak, that's why I already did :)

Why downgrade?

he's assuming the downgraded hboot will work with unrevoked's tool

bhazard451

Jun 17, 2010
I actually had to go back into HBOOT 3 times just to flash the initial zip. It had to update the bootloader twice with quick restarts for some reason, but then it continued the update fine after that. Scared me a little bit.

jdmba

Aug 20, 2007
Question

I asked this in another thread, but this one seems to be a much more appropriate place to ask ... for those of us with SOFF but otherwise stock, is there a reason to go through the extraction/etc steps ... what is the downside of just running the RUU?

TNS201

Feb 11, 2010
I asked this in another thread, but this one seems to be a much more appropriate place to ask ... for those of us with SOFF but otherwise stock, is there a reason to go through the extraction/etc steps ... what is the downside of just running the RUU?

The RUU might not work, think some people tried and it didn't work. If you browse through the other post, you might be able to find someone who posted a link to download the rom.zip, but its really not that hard to do.

jdmba

Aug 20, 2007
Nandroid Restore?

Thanks ... one more question.

If I try this, and hate it (or it turns out to be super buggy), can I restore a nandroid backup of my current setup (Radio 1.00.3.xxxx; HBOOT .77; Stock 2.1-Update) or will some of that not restore.

Thanks!