• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to get google notifications working without gms or sketchy downloads

Search This thread

rramnel

Jan 14, 2021
I have microG installed on my Huawei phone. I have the problem where push notifications under microG settings gets disconnected randomly. Then I don't receive any push notifications. When I open microG settings, then it auto connects and registers for push notifications again and everything works. I have battery optimization turned off but find it annoying that this happens randomly. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Vexusia

Dec 14, 2018
So after doing more testing across different devices mainly on just roms without gms to test other stuff on other phones, Ive come to the conclusion that you dont need to register the account at all and can basically just get microg services core on the device, -turn on device registation and cloud messaging and disable battery optimizations/background stoppers whatever form the rom might have for microg core. Naturally this is easier on unlocked phones since you can get the entire package running but when I redid this on the emui it worked with just those 2 things turned on and no account registation needed. Truthfully Im not sure what the account registration would even do since even on regular microg that is fully working its not really adding much value since core services like playgames and maps (somewhat) wont work fully regardless in the way that regular gms core does.

Updated the main post to reflect this change.

Vexusia

Dec 14, 2018
A little further clarification on the account thing mentioned above. It appears to save a record on your device about the account as if it could be a working google account but none of the usable google apis and processes are there to recognize it. Heck if you even go back to register the account, microg has no record of you even doing it in the first place since it cant pull it like a native google account. Example: if you have an app that tries to search for a google account on your device it will automatically fail even though microg put a record of it there since its not going through the native (and very closed source) play services calls it would expect. Which is also why whatsapp will not work with the cloud save since its attempting to retrieve a google account and drive information for which the api processes does not exist.

Microg is handy but is a work in progress and at the rate google can adapt the playservices core, it might be too ambitious to expect this project to keep up so we take what we can get in its current state.

YShoun

Jun 4, 2014
Hey guys, long time lurker around xda and after purposely getting a huawei gms-less phone to see how it would go I ran into some frustrations learning that apks from the playstore whether from downloads or aurora store app etc, nothing would deliver notifications. My huawei is a nova7se but I had a friend test this on his and it is working as well so I presume it works for all huawei/googleless devices to a point.

The goal of this was to find a way to get notifications from playstore apps such as discord, outlook email , banking apps etc. This is not a replacement for google services apis needed for games or google apps which rely on services framework to operate in general.

A few things
-MUST BE CLEAN GOOGLE-LESS PHONE**
-Does not need root/bootloader unlocked
-Does not need sketchy downloads from random sites formatting recovery/ota/hisuite backups etc
-Mostly all open source
-Easily reversible and minimal risk
-All done through phone without additional mods or adb
-Not all apps will work for notification services for this depending on how the original developer team wrote the app to handle this situations. For example: discord, outlook, capital one bank, chase bank, apps work but protonmail did not want to connect to microg for notifications and I have not been able to successfully trick it to connect to it yet)
- APKS MUST BE FROM PLAY STORE ORIGINALLY. Using fdroid variants or personal stuff probably wont work since those packages did not rely on google notification services. I know some apps have a standalone apk you can download externally from the source but it may differ in its functionality.
-THIS IS NOT GOOGLE PLAY SERVICES AND WILL NOT MAKE GOOGLE APPS WORK. The reason it is not working for your google apps and games is because it was never supposed to. Dx

**By "google-less" phone I am referring to not having any leftover packages from attempting to install gms on the device. Google packages conflict with microG and will not be compatible. If you have used lzplay or other methods to attempt to get some form of playstore working, then you will most likely have google packages installed somewhere even if it failed to get GMS working perfectly. Keep this in mind if you get installation issues. Ideally if you are not using the phone as a daily, factory reset it to original settings if possible to ensure cleanest install if you want to pursue this.

STEP 1)
Download microG apps.
-microG services core
(optional)
- **microG services framework proxy
- **microG droidguard helper (? no idea if this is needed but was in my downloads for microg testing)
**the services framework proxy and droidguardhelper were part of the original experiment but later on I managed to get notifications running without needed either one of these.

Easiest way is to use fdroid store app and to add in microg repo found here.
https://f-droid.org/
https://github.com/microg/android_packages_apps_GmsCore/wiki/Downloads

Step 2)
Open microg settings app - self check
-Signature spoofing will not work because we have no access to anything on the phone system wise
-Installed packages should have "playservices gms core installed" and "services framework installed" checked only (see picture)
-Grant permissions and select to ignore battery optimization (so the service is not closed in background)

Step 3)
MicroG settings main menu
-Turn on google device registration
-Turn on google cloud messaging
-Turn on google safetynet (probably is not actually doing anything but turn it on for good measure)
-Add google account (Does not appear to be needed since it did not do anything specific relating to notifs)

Step 4)
Download aurora store.
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.aurora.store/
or
https://gitlab.com/AuroraOSS/AuroraStore
Fdroid route is easiest if you used it to install microg apps.
(Why aurorastore? Why not? The main reason is because it accesses google play store apps which inturn are the apks which are known to use google play services for notifications. Downloading an apk from another origin might not be the playstore version making it not really work with this process)

Step 5)
Download apps as needed with aurora store,
In phone settings, make sure you disable auto management of background apps.
Settings-battery-applaunch. Set apps like outlook, discord etc to manual and turn all settings to on (auto launch/run in background/secondary lauch).

Optional step 6) In aurora store settings , add microg apps to blacklist so aurora store does not try to update microg with play services which will erase micro g and give you a systemless apk of play services which does absolutely nothing.

Thats basically it. I was so caught up on trying to find ways to break into my nova 7se's bootloader and attempted to sideload microg for authentic playstore functionality and playservices but as long as notifications are working, aurora store + notifs is all the functionality I need.
No offense to those offering other ways to add in gms to huawei phones but as a security minded individual, it seems like too much of a risk to use randomly hosted internet files overwriting system functionality.

If you go into microg settings and under "google cloud messaging" you can see which apps are being monitored for notifications. Once I restarted my device, its status turned to disconnected but still catches notifications for outlook and discord as I tested. This is not using microg as a replacement for playservices because again this is ONLY FOR NOTIFICATION USAGE in this implementation.

Hope this helps anyone who wants to be able to use some google play apps but had notification issues. :)

Thanks!
There are many tutorials on how to use microG but this is the only one that actually made notifications work on my phone. 😀

From F-droid, I installed
-microG Services core
- microG Services framework proxy
and once inside microG, I had to give all the non-location permissions so that cloud messaging starts to register the apps.

Now, outlook, discord and Whatsapp notification are working fine.
Cheers,

Reactions: Jeromie36

ontour

Dec 2, 2011
Hi, it's working on my P40 lite.
After having GMS and some notifications not working 100%, this is the way for me.
I even blocked two apps from registering on microg because they are Huawei native. They can't be updated from Aurora store.
So I'm assuming they are using HMS instead.
Thanks very much for the guide.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, long time lurker around xda and after purposely getting a huawei gms-less phone to see how it would go I ran into some frustrations learning that apks from the playstore whether from downloads or aurora store app etc, nothing would deliver notifications. My huawei is a nova7se but I had a friend test this on his and it is working as well so I presume it works for all huawei/googleless devices to a point.

The goal of this was to find a way to get notifications from playstore apps such as discord, outlook email , banking apps etc. This is not a replacement for google services apis needed for games or google apps which rely on services framework to operate in general.

A few things
    -Does not need sketchy downloads from random sites formatting recovery/ota/hisuite backups etc
    -Mostly all open source
    -Not all apps will work for notification services for this depending on how the original developer team wrote the app to handle this situations. For example: discord, outlook, capital one bank, chase bank, apps work but protonmail did not want to connect to microg for notifications and I have not been able to successfully trick it to connect to it yet)
    - APKS MUST BE FROM PLAY STORE ORIGINALLY. Using fdroid variants or personal stuff probably wont work since those packages did not rely on google notification services. I know some apps have a standalone apk you can download externally from the source but it may differ in its functionality.
    -THIS IS NOT GOOGLE PLAY SERVICES AND WILL NOT MAKE GOOGLE APPS WORK. The reason it is not working for your google apps and games is because it was never supposed to. Dx

**By "google-less" phone I am referring to not having any leftover packages from attempting to install gms on the device. Google packages conflict with microG and will not be compatible. If you have used lzplay or other methods to attempt to get some form of playstore working, then you will most likely have google packages installed somewhere even if it failed to get GMS working perfectly. Keep this in mind if you get installation issues. Ideally if you are not using the phone as a daily, factory reset it to original settings if possible to ensure cleanest install if you want to pursue this.

STEP 1)
    Download microG apps.
    -microG services core
    (optional)
    - **microG droidguard helper (? no idea if this is needed but was in my downloads for microg testing)
    **the services framework proxy and droidguardhelper were part of the original experiment but later on I managed to get notifications running without needed either one of these.

Step 2)
    -Signature spoofing will not work because we have no access to anything on the phone system wise
    -Installed packages should have "playservices gms core installed" and "services framework installed" checked only (see picture)
    -Grant permissions and select to ignore battery optimization (so the service is not closed in background)

Step 3)
    -Turn on google safetynet (probably is not actually doing anything but turn it on for good measure)
    -Add google account (Does not appear to be needed since it did not do anything specific relating to notifs)

Step 4)
    Download aurora store.
    or
    (Why aurorastore? Why not? The main reason is because it accesses google play store apps which inturn are the apks which are known to use google play services for notifications. Downloading an apk from another origin might not be the playstore version making it not really work with this process)

Step 5)
    Settings-battery-applaunch. Set apps like outlook, discord etc to manual and turn all settings to on (auto launch/run in background/secondary lauch).

Optional step 6) In aurora store settings , add microg apps to blacklist so aurora store does not try to update microg with play services which will erase micro g and give you a systemless apk of play services which does absolutely nothing.

Thats basically it. I was so caught up on trying to find ways to break into my nova 7se's bootloader and attempted to sideload microg for authentic playstore functionality and playservices but as long as notifications are working, aurora store + notifs is all the functionality I need.
    No offense to those offering other ways to add in gms to huawei phones but as a security minded individual, it seems like too much of a risk to use randomly hosted internet files overwriting system functionality.

If you go into microg settings and under "google cloud messaging" you can see which apps are being monitored for notifications. Once I restarted my device, its status turned to disconnected but still catches notifications for outlook and discord as I tested. This is not using microg as a replacement for playservices because again this is ONLY FOR NOTIFICATION USAGE in this implementation.

Hope this helps anyone who wants to be able to use some google play apps but had notification issues. :)
    So, you did found a new way, GMS + HMS enabled with no notification error? Am i right?

So the statement is a bit misleading, this is not really GMS but its a way to use 3rd party play store apps that would not give notifications because of play services missing. This will only cover the notification portion of apps/apks originally found in the playstore that require notifications through play services push notifications. I have not touched HMS or anything else but this basically inserts a listener under microG to monitor push notifications and deliver them as needed. Again this does not resolve the issue of missing google APIs found in the full GMS package and is not intended to do so. Strictly notification wise for apps that need them.

Personally I used aurora store to get apks from playstore without needing playstore installed (because playstore version apps are looking to use googles push notification services) but how those apps function is another story. For example: Youtube/maps/google pay etc will not work as they need google apis. But 3rd party apps like discord, outlook email, and banking apps like capital one etc do work. Games might not because they might want play games api which is not present here since this is not GMS. (Tried to fun cytus 2 and a few other games and it wouldnt start since license check fails by default)

To my knowledge this will not work with any other GMS procedure attempted so you cannot combine this with a working GMS hacked install since you will have a version of play services and gsf framework active. Think of this as another alternative entirely in a way if you want to not risk questionable modifications and want to stay on default HMS software. Idk what the future holds as huawei seems to block ways to get GMS on phones after they become popular so I see this as an alternative to the unknown with pulled playstore apks functioning as they should.

A few things
    -Mostly all open source

STEP 1)
    Download microG apps.
    -microG services core
    (optional)

Step 2)

Step 3)

Step 4)
    Download aurora store.
    or

Step 5)

Thanks!
    There are many tutorials on how to use microG but this is the only one that actually made notifications work on my phone. 😀

From F-droid, I installed
    -microG Services core
    - microG Services framework proxy
    and once inside microG, I had to give all the non-location permissions so that cloud messaging starts to register the apps.

Now, outlook, discord and Whatsapp notification are working fine.
    Cheers,
    How to get Harmony OS? I followed a guide the other day via Member Centre (chinese region etc) and the option to enroll in the beta wasn't there ?
    I have a Matepad 11 which comes with Harmony OS in the Global Version.