• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to get OTA update with my tablet rooted? My tablet is yoga tab 3 plus.

Search This thread

zkn1021

Jun 4, 2016
My tablet is Lenovo yoga tab 3 plus, I have rooted my tablet, and after downloading the update, an error occured, and here is the log:

Supported API: 3
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
Source: Lenovo/YT-X703F/YT-X703F:6.0.1/S100/YT-X703F_S000691_161121_PRC:user/release-keys
Target: Lenovo/YT-X703F/YT-X703F:6.0.1/S100/YT-X703F_S000728_170211_PRC:user/release-keys
Verifying current system...
"EMMC:/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot:31655208:db7b430aac30b324daddf17bcdb14201a6468700:31655208:4de06d70f69d35ffa0a0aa0c6975385a3c937030" has unexpected contents.
E:Error in @/cache/recovery/block.map
(Status 7)

Installation abroated.
E:failed to mount /data (Invaild argument)

I think if we can bypass verification, we can install update while the device is rooted.
Any can help us?:eek:

matshias

Jan 20, 2015
My tablet is Lenovo yoga tab 3 plus, I have rooted my tablet, and after downloading the update, an error occured, and here is the log:

Installing update...
Source: Lenovo/YT-X703F/YT-X703F:6.0.1/S100/YT-X703F_S000691_161121_PRC:user/release-keys
Target: Lenovo/YT-X703F/YT-X703F:6.0.1/S100/YT-X703F_S000728_170211_PRC:user/release-keys
"EMMC:/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot:31655208:db7b430aac30b324daddf17bcdb14201a6468700:31655208:4de06d70f69d35ffa0a0aa0c6975385a3c937030" has unexpected contents.
(Status 7)

Installation abroated.

I think if we can bypass verification, we can install update while the device is rooted.

So the easiest way is to restore the boot and system partition to the original S000725 version using fastboot and then install the update, but only if you are on S000725 now. If you are sure that you didn't modify the system partition (any root app installed system less) then the boot partition is sufficient. Flashing these two partitions will not delete your apps and settings.

Here is what to do:
  1. Download the factory image S000725 for your tablet (see first post of TWRP thread) and make sure your current software version is S000725
  2. Extract it and get the boot.img and system.img files
  3. restart into fastboot mode (e.g. via adb reboot bootloader, or restart the tablet with volume up key pressed)
  4. Execute fastboot on your PC connected to the tablet with the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
  5. If the system partition was modified you will have to do the same for system
    Code:
    fastboot flash system system.img
  6. If TWRP is flashed you also have to restore the recovery partition
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

You can also install the factory image via the supplied flash tool. But we're not 100% sure it is safe wrt. DRM keys

Sometimes the flashing of such large partitions as the system partitions can fail in which case you have to do it again until it works. If you run into a bootloop after flashing the boot.img your system partition is not original and you have to flash the system.img again

EDIT: Ok I see you are on S000691 in which case you need a factory image of that version

Last edited:
Reactions: malpollo

zkn1021

Jun 4, 2016
So the easiest way is to restore the boot and system partition to the original S000725 version using fastboot and then install the update, but only if you are on S000725 now. If you are sure that you didn't modify the system partition (any root app installed system less) then the boot partition is sufficient. Flashing these two partitions will not delete your apps and settings.

Here is what to do:
  1. Download the factory image S000725 for your tablet (see first post of TWRP thread) and make sure your current software version is S000725
  3. restart into fastboot mode (e.g. via adb reboot bootloader, or restart the tablet with volume up key pressed)
  4. Execute fastboot on your PC connected to the tablet with the following command:
    Code:
    Code:

You can also install the factory image via the supplied flash tool. But we're not 100% sure it is safe wrt. DRM keys

Sometimes the flashing of such large partitions as the system partitions can fail in which case you have to do it again until it works. If you run into a bootloop after flashing the boot.img your system partition is not original and you have to flash the system.img again

EDIT: Ok I see you are on S000691 in which case you need a factory image of that version

Thank you!
I'm wondering whether I have to root again after restoring the boot and system partitions.

zkn1021

Jun 4, 2016
I got the OTA update package, can I flash it directly via recovery? I have rooted my tablet.

matshias

Jan 20, 2015
Thank you!
I'm wondering whether I have to root again after restoring the boot and system partitions.
I got the OTA update package, can I flash it directly via recovery? I have rooted my tablet.

Well first unroot by flashing boot and system, then install update in Lenovo recovery. Yes it's possible to do that. Then when the update installed successfully you can root again with TWRP and SuperSU.

zkn1021

Jun 4, 2016
brothers, I skipped system verifying by editing updater-script, but the OTA still failed because signature verifying failed.
Anyone knows how to skip signature verifying?
If we can skip that, we may install ota update package manually while the device is rooted.

DGolovin

Mar 2, 2017
the easiest way is to restore the boot and system partition .
Code:

hi! how can i make a backup of my currently partitions (before rooting and so on) to make possible flash them back with "fastboot flash ..."?
is the command
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system of=/sdcard1/system.img
makes the image compatible with "fastboot flash ..." command? or i have to convert it somehow?

P.s. yes i know about restoring with command "dd if=/sdcard1/system.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system", but i want to have other ways to retreat :)

matshias

Jan 20, 2015
hi! how can i make a backup of my currently partitions (before rooting and so on) to make possible flash them back with "fastboot flash ..."?
is the command
Code:
makes the image compatible with "fastboot flash ..." command? or i have to convert it somehow?

P.s. yes i know about restoring with command "dd if=/sdcard1/system.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system", but i want to have other ways to retreat :)
In TWRP (via adb or TWRP terminal) you can use the command that you listed to make backups of existing partitions. The system partition is a bit special though. The dd command will give you the raw partition image. Fastboot, however, expects the system partition in sparse format. To convert you need the tool "img2simg".

The other partitions are expected in raw format by fastboot.

Unless you have a special firmware version you don't have to create these backups since we have factory images which contain exactly these partition images. Boot, recovery and system partitions are the same for all devices with the same device variant and software version.

Reactions: DGolovin

DGolovin

Mar 2, 2017
In TWRP (via adb or TWRP terminal) you can use the command that you listed to make backups of existing partitions. The system partition is a bit special though. The dd command will give you the raw partition image. Fastboot, however, expects the system partition in sparse format. To convert you need the tool "img2simg".
Unless you have a special firmware version you don't have to create these backups since we have factory images which contain exactly these partition images. Boot, recovery and system partitions are the same for all devices with the same device variant and software version.

Thanks for eхplain. I have downloaded your backups of 734th firmware for Lenovo Yoga 3 Plus F already :) but new knowlege will not be redundant

NtahX

Mar 25, 2017
Hello,

Tried "adb reboot bootloader" but it only stuck with Lenovo logo. So I tried to flash boot.img using app.
Now stuck with boot loop. Manage to go into Recovery Mode - Is there any way I could restore anything from Recovery? .zip

Thank you

dasinflames

Aug 23, 2012
Hi guys,
I got n OTA update. I only did the root process from https://forum.xda-developers.com/th...ta-twrp-root-disable-encryption-yoga-t3538017 before.
After doing the "fastboot flash boot boot.img" to allow the OTA update from this thread, I got a reboot loop (soft brick right?) when I try to go to recovery, i got this

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMLfvQnTcKCr4lJ6ImnPHsb9_s5aR_ERj_k_oIuhhg_k6aGD2yNen8H9y7tdhPLOA?key=T2FYdmZSZ204OFczejB0dXpGOGlRdG1aNXBvckln

any help? sadly, I'm a noob u.u

thxs

matshias

Jan 20, 2015
Hello,

Tried "adb reboot bootloader" but it only stuck with Lenovo logo. So I tried to flash boot.img using app.
Now stuck with boot loop. Manage to go into Recovery Mode - Is there any way I could restore anything from Recovery? .zip

Thank you

The fastboot mode (bootloader) only shows the Lenovo logo. So this is expected. If you get a bootloop you also have to flash system.img via fastboot. So do the adb reboot bootloader again and use fastboot tool on the PC to do the flashing

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Hi guys,
I got n OTA update. I only did the root process from https://forum.xda-developers.com/th...ta-twrp-root-disable-encryption-yoga-t3538017 before.
After doing the "fastboot flash boot boot.img" to allow the OTA update from this thread, I got a reboot loop (soft brick right?) when I try to go to recovery, i got this

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMLfvQnTcKCr4lJ6ImnPHsb9_s5aR_ERj_k_oIuhhg_k6aGD2yNen8H9y7tdhPLOA?key=T2FYdmZSZ204OFczejB0dXpGOGlRdG1aNXBvckln

thxs
Same thing. Your system partition is not original that's why you have the boot loop. You have to flash the original version via fastboot.

Reactions: NtahX

NtahX

Mar 25, 2017
The fastboot mode (bootloader) only shows the Lenovo logo. So this is expected. If you get a bootloop you also have to flash system.img via fastboot. So do the adb reboot bootloader again and use fastboot tool on the PC to do the flashing

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Same thing. Your system partition is not original that's why you have the boot loop. You have to flash the original version via fastboot.

Code:
c:\adb>fastboot flash system system_yt_x703f_s000734.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [  0.626s]
sending sparse 'system' (516880 KB)...
OKAY [ 18.443s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [  7.726s]
sending sparse 'system' (507198 KB)...
OKAY [ 18.163s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [  7.812s]
sending sparse 'system' (511833 KB)...
OKAY [ 18.332s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [  7.876s]
sending sparse 'system' (514911 KB)...
OKAY [ 18.410s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [  7.345s]
sending sparse 'system' (514937 KB)...
OKAY [ 18.282s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [  7.369s]
sending sparse 'system' (511997 KB)...
OKAY [ 18.328s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 22.033s]
sending sparse 'system' (156572 KB)...
OKAY [  5.703s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 17.717s]
finished. total time: 194.195s

c:\adb>fastboot flash recovery recovery_yt_x703f_s000734.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'recovery' (65536 KB)...
OKAY [  2.078s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  0.829s]
finished. total time: 2.907s

Since I already flashed boot.img yesterday, continue with system & recovery. I didn't know that Download mode will only shows Lenovo logo. Normally it will shows what running on the background. Did as told and manage to recover. Sadly I've wiped cache & data in Recovery yesterday, now back to square 1. But at least better than bricked device. Thank you.

dasinflames

Aug 23, 2012

the only way that my tablet can to be recognized in my computer is with sideload. I'll try with that method.

thxs!!

PS: I used at the end the Multiflashtool and now my tablet works perfectly
if someone has the parallel problem, here is the solution: http://www.mediafire.com/download/58upc51o93ux2f4/Archivo+StargetDawn.rar
just install and execute the multiflash program.

greetings

Last edited:

zkn1021

Jun 4, 2016

Here is what to do:
    Code:
    Code:
    Code:

I'm sorry to bother you again.
Someone made a backup via twrp, and got these files:
boot.emmc.win
boot.emmc.win.md5
recovery.log
system.ext4.win000
system.ext4.win000.md5
system.ex4.win001
system.ext4.win001.md5
system.info

How to continue with these files?
Thank you!

matshias

Jan 20, 2015
I'm sorry to bother you again.
Someone made a backup via twrp, and got these files:
boot.emmc.win
boot.emmc.win.md5
recovery.log
system.ext4.win000
system.ext4.win000.md5
system.ex4.win001
system.ext4.win001.md5
system.info

How to continue with these files?
Thank you!
Well it seems you have to request the backup again. system.ext4 is a file based backup. This will not restore to a 100% original system image. The person who provided this for you has to run it again and select "system image" instead of "system" when creating the backup. This will then be a binary copy of the system partition.

Once you have that you should create a backup using TWRP on your own device with boot and system image selected onto an external SD card. Don't forget to boot TWRP with system left read only. Then you replace the *.win* files (also the .md5 files) on you SD card with ones you get from this person files. Then reinsert the SD card into the tablet and select restore in TWRP. Then the two partitions should be original if the person you got them from didn't modify it somehow.

I am not sure which format TWRP uses to store these partition images but if the above doesn't work we'll figure out how to extract it.

sth0r

Jan 26, 2017
Download the factory image S000725 for your tablet (see first post of TWRP thread) and make sure your current software version is S000725

hello iam on s000689 and i have a hard time trying to find that recovery image... can i just you S000725 and then not have OTA updates?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Installing update...
    (Status 7)

Installation abroated.

Here is what to do:
      Code:
      Code:
      Code:

is the command
    Code:

Hello,

Thank you

Hi guys,

thxs