Question How to get rid of Nav Bar on Android 11, MIUI 12.5.8 with NOVA Launcher

Search This thread
Aug 10, 2019
Hi,
I know this is a topic that has come a few times. I've been researching this for hours, but I'm at my end's wits. If anyone can solve it, I'd be grateful!

Phone: Redmi Note 10 Pro
My setup: NOVA LAUNCHER
MIUI: 12.5.8
Android 11
FNG app (Fluid Navigation Gestures)

My goal: to have navigation gestures with Nova Launcher without the bottom Android Nav Bar

I am aware that since Android 11, they've blocked the usage of system gestures when using custom launchers (why they did that, I still don't understand, but that's irrelevant.) Up until last night when MIUI updated itself automatically, my current config was working:
NOVA + FNG + switch system settings from BUTTONS to GESTURES.

This was working fine: in the phone settings switching to "GESTURES" would hide the bottom navigation button bar, and FNG would be activating the gestures in place of the system.

But last night's MIUI update now increased the level of difficulty. It is now impossible in the phone settings to select GESTURES when a custom launcher is active. When NOVA is the selected default launcher, tapping on GESTURES in system settings gives this message: "Can't use full screen gestures with third party launchers. Switch to the system launcher and turn on full screen gestures?". Tapping OK will disable NOVA and activate full screen gestures.

So, I'm now stuck with BUTTONS NAV BAR, which not only takes real estate space on the screen, but is just damn annoying.

I have tried using ABD command I found in another thread to hide the Buttons Nav Bar:
adb shell pm grant com.fb.fluid android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
But this does not work. I rebooted and all, but buttons are still there.

I do not wish to root the phone because I have never done it in the past, and somehow I fear it would introduce security issues. So I'm desperately trying to find another solution to hide the buttons nav bar.

Any idea?

I have to say, I really do not understand why they are forcing people to use stock launcher with gestures. Why is it a problem that custom launchers use system gestures in the first place? One reason I always enjoyed Android over iPhone is the fact that the system was more open compared to Apple who always made their system so closed and contrived. But I have to say that lately, I have found Android to be more and more annoying when it comes to customization.

Martin

xzibithelps

Apr 8, 2012
Bucharest
nope. it doesnt work.
let me know if u guyz find a solution for stock miui.
one of the reason i put pixel exp on mine.

i have a mi9t pro with 12.5miui aswell.

Murtazaraza

Aug 17, 2016
Hi,
I know this is a topic that has come a few times. I've been researching this for hours, but I'm at my end's wits. If anyone can solve it, I'd be grateful!

Android 11

My goal: to have navigation gestures with Nova Launcher without the bottom Android Nav Bar

I am aware that since Android 11, they've blocked the usage of system gestures when using custom launchers (why they did that, I still don't understand, but that's irrelevant.) Up until last night when MIUI updated itself automatically, my current config was working:

This was working fine: in the phone settings switching to "GESTURES" would hide the bottom navigation button bar, and FNG would be activating the gestures in place of the system.

But last night's MIUI update now increased the level of difficulty. It is now impossible in the phone settings to select GESTURES when a custom launcher is active. When NOVA is the selected default launcher, tapping on GESTURES in system settings gives this message: "Can't use full screen gestures with third party launchers. Switch to the system launcher and turn on full screen gestures?". Tapping OK will disable NOVA and activate full screen gestures.

So, I'm now stuck with BUTTONS NAV BAR, which not only takes real estate space on the screen, but is just damn annoying.

I have tried using ABD command I found in another thread to hide the Buttons Nav Bar:

I do not wish to root the phone because I have never done it in the past, and somehow I fear it would introduce security issues. So I'm desperately trying to find another solution to hide the buttons nav bar.

Any idea?

I have to say, I really do not understand why they are forcing people to use stock launcher with gestures. Why is it a problem that custom launchers use system gestures in the first place? One reason I always enjoyed Android over iPhone is the fact that the system was more open compared to Apple who always made their system so closed and contrived. But I have to say that lately, I have found Android to be more and more annoying when it comes to customization.

Martin
Try uninstalling update of system launcher and use fng

Laptapper

Jan 17, 2016
Hi,

Android 11

Any idea?

Martin
In my opinion root it and try other ROMs also miui, if you like, you can use it, but with more personally control. Security problem with root?! Only if you allow it....or if you root without read about some hours.

Aug 10, 2019
In my opinion root it and try other ROMs also miui, if you like, you can use it, but with more personally control. Security problem with root?! Only if you allow it....or if you root without read about some hours.
Thanks for the suggestion.
What link would you recommend I read to inform myself on the proper way to root my phone, and to read on the pros and cons of rooting? Thank you.

Murtazaraza

Aug 17, 2016
Hi,

Android 11

Any idea?

Martin
I got a new app vivid navigation gestures (paid app)its working for me you can see it in the attached screenshot

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-10-25-11-26-52-404_com.teslacoilsw.launcher.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-25-11-26-52-404_com.teslacoilsw.launcher.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 1,035
  • Screenshot_2021-10-25-11-26-35-902_com.miui.home.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-25-11-26-35-902_com.miui.home.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 1,036
Aug 10, 2019
I got a new app vivid navigation gestures (paid app)its working for me you can see it in the attached screenshot
Does the app "vivid navigation gestures" successfully hide the navigation button bar with Android 11 and the latest MIUI 12.5.8 using Nova? I see in your screenshots that the bar is gone and you are using Nova, but are you also using MIUI 12.5.8 with Android 11?

Aug 10, 2019
Yes i am on MIUI 12.5.8 global with A11 and without root and all
I installed Vivid Navigation Gestures and I followed the ABD command instructions, and it doesn't work for me. The buttons bar is still visible at the bottom of the screen, even after a reboot of the phone. Redmi note 10 Pro. Unfortunately this solution doesn't work for me. I'm glad it works for you, and thank you for the suggestion. It was worth a try.

Murtazaraza

Aug 17, 2016
I installed Vivid Navigation Gestures and I followed the ABD command instructions, and it doesn't work for me. The buttons bar is still visible at the bottom of the screen, even after a reboot of the phone. Redmi note 10 Pro. Unfortunately this solution doesn't work for me. I'm glad it works for you, and thank you for the suggestion. It was worth a try.
Try after giving this permissions with accessibility and draw over other app permission and check system launcher version also

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-10-25-21-33-05-203_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-25-21-33-05-203_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 376
  • Screenshot_2021-10-25-21-32-55-728_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-25-21-32-55-728_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 378
  • Screenshot_2021-10-25-21-35-27-265_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-25-21-35-27-265_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 378
Aug 10, 2019
Then system launcher is causing the issue i think
I think so too... Because like i explained in my original message I normally was able to hide the nav bar by simply choosing "gestures" in the phone settings, but then one update happened and it became impossible to use that trick anymore. Since then, I have tried ABD command with FNG gesture app and that didn't work either. And now ABD command did not work with Vivid App.
:(

So strange that they make it so hard to use gestures and hide nav bar when we use a third party launcher. Why don't they want us to use a third party launcher? It's the whole point of Android to be able to customize it... This is pretty crazy.

Murtazaraza

Aug 17, 2016
I think so too... Because like i explained in my original message I normally was able to hide the nav bar by simply choosing "gestures" in the phone settings, but then one update happened and it became impossible
to use that trick anymore. Since then, I have tried ABD command with FNG gesture app and that didn't work either. And now ABD command did not work with Vivid App.
:(

So strange that they make it so hard to use gestures and hide nav bar when we use a third party launcher. Why don't they want us to use a third party launcher? It's the whole point of Android to be able to customize it... This is pretty crazy.
Just uninstall update of system launcher and i think it will work

dj.jericho

May 27, 2011
Hi,

Android 11

Any idea?

Martin
Hi, this helped me: by simply installing this zip in TWRP => TWRP_Hide_Navigation_Bar_v1.0.zip

INFO: Installing the zip again will unhide the navigation bar (revert the change).

EDIT: My zip (to install in TWRP) doesn't work for devices shipped with Android 10(+). Workaround: Magisk! Install Magisk and this Magisk module => Hide_Navigation_Bar_v1.0-Magisk.zip

.., but to another phone (Redmi T9 Pro) Miui 12.5.6

( https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads...2-5-stable-release.56191/page-255#post-610901 )

Reactions: FlavioHuster

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    use setedit n change value from force_fsg_nav_bar to 1 (on global tab)

IMG_20211026_183414.jpg
    Hi,

Android 11

Any idea?

Martin
    Hi,

Android 11

Any idea?

Martin
    Hi, this helped me: by simply installing this zip in TWRP => TWRP_Hide_Navigation_Bar_v1.0.zip

INFO: Installing the zip again will unhide the navigation bar (revert the change).

EDIT: My zip (to install in TWRP) doesn't work for devices shipped with Android 10(+). Workaround: Magisk! Install Magisk and this Magisk module => Hide_Navigation_Bar_v1.0-Magisk.zip

.., but to another phone (Redmi T9 Pro) Miui 12.5.6

( https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads...2-5-stable-release.56191/page-255#post-610901 )