Question How To Get started with Custom Rom Development/Contribution as a Junior Java/Kotlin developer?

Search This thread

Zotac101

Jan 5, 2021
As the thread question states I am a junior Java/Kotlin developer and would like to contribute to custom rom projects.
I have been mainly using Lineage OS on my old devices for a past few years and I am genuinely thankful for this community and would like to give back.
I have no idea where to get started and the only threads I found were really old from 2013 and hence I am posting it here. I have only gone as far as compiling AOSP from source and managing to flash it to my device. ( Any guidance is welcome ).

I have 2 additional queries :-

1) Why most custom rom releases are based on AOSP or Lineage as source rather than working backwards from the manufacture's provided rom? In that way the device can retain most of this functionality.

2) I have observed QUALCOMM powered devices are much more appreciated in this community compared to MediaTek, Why is that so? Recent MediaTek Chips have been quite powerful yet support from the community isn't there yet ..... what are MediaTek chipsets lacking ?

Reactions: cyanGalaxy
How does your self-built AOSP perform? Everything working correctly?

I think the first question is, because the manufacturer's ROMs are proprietary and closed source, so it's not impossible, but difficult I think. Dunno how Xiaomi.eu does it.

Second question is, because Qualcomm releases source code to CAF - Code Aurora Forum. Custom ROM/Kernel Makers pull a few bits & pieces from CAF into their AOSP ROM, for that added spice.

I think MediaTek does too, but only for few devices?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As the thread question states I am a junior Java/Kotlin developer and would like to contribute to custom rom projects.
    I have been mainly using Lineage OS on my old devices for a past few years and I am genuinely thankful for this community and would like to give back.
    I have no idea where to get started and the only threads I found were really old from 2013 and hence I am posting it here. I have only gone as far as compiling AOSP from source and managing to flash it to my device. ( Any guidance is welcome ).

I have 2 additional queries :-

1) Why most custom rom releases are based on AOSP or Lineage as source rather than working backwards from the manufacture's provided rom? In that way the device can retain most of this functionality.

2) I have observed QUALCOMM powered devices are much more appreciated in this community compared to MediaTek, Why is that so? Recent MediaTek Chips have been quite powerful yet support from the community isn't there yet ..... what are MediaTek chipsets lacking ?
    Mediatek doesn't release their source code so it's very difficult to develop custom ROMs.

Correct me if I'm wrong 😔