Question How to get Wifi Calling on Freedom Mobile

Search This thread

mavicanuck

Nov 24, 2021
Hi,
I am using Freedom Mobile in Canada and bought the Sony XPERIA 5 III 5G XQ-BQ72. This is a taiwanese dual sim.
The basic services work but the enhanced services don't. I checked before hand and knew that to be the case but having read forums I thought I might be able to get it working.

First I tried @Gigio755 advice here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/xq-at52-volte-or-wifi-calling-in-canada.4128611/
Where you dial dial *#*#4636#*#* and switch Vowifi on. But the thing is greyed out

Next I tried was @BSPI advice here https://www.reddit.com/r/freedommobile/comments/bg5x3c That's where you text *#243203855# then choose GLW, but I get MMI error.

I've also tried @f1v12 advice here https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxys10/comments/dbf1lj Where you text #272<your phone's imei number># but also get MMI error

To fix the MMI error I tried following https://www.technobezz.com/fix-connection-problem-invalid-mmi-code/
These didn't work, but specifically I couldn't try method 3, Turn on IMS over SMS because my IMS is not registered

Following @sooki99 here https://www.reddit.com/r/freedommobile/comments/c331l5 I tried to register an apn type ims, but got an error saying Freedom does not allow adding apn type IMS.

I've contacted tech support with Freedom, they said they registered my IMEI. They also said they don't need to provision my IMEI so I'm not sure what registering they did.

So, I'm wondering what the next thing to try is. Is there a way to fix the MMI error so I can at least send dial codes?
I was thinking of flashing the US firmware next, does anyone know if that works? I know I'd loose the dual sim support (on a side note, why is that?), but does anyone know if that would help?

dima_vy

Aug 13, 2009
I have also the problem with wifi calling feature with Israeli operator. The feature on the network side activated, and they checked it with the phone number. They told me they don't need IMEI for wifi calling, and if the phone supports it, the option should appear on the phone''s menu, but it doesn't appear.
I got the phone from UK, it's dual sim model XQ-BQ52
Any ideas?

mavicanuck

Nov 24, 2021
Hi @dima_vy
First thing to try would be the firmware flashing. You can do this without rooting or boot unlocking.
Get xperifirm and newflasher. There's a few customizations for XQ-BQ52 you can try without messing up your phone. I have the XQ-BQ72, and when I tried the 52 firmwares, the phone works but the modem connects and disconnects continuously so I doubt you'll find a working solution from the 72's.
But...
From a comment by @noldoli on:
it really looks like you need:
  • The phone having the necessary MBN files for the mobile carrier in question
  • The SIM having VoLTE provisioned by the carrier in question
It really seems you need Sony to include these files on their updates, which they are unlikely to do in countries they did not release the phone. BTW, if you ask Sony they will blame the carrier.

So, I think the next thing to try is with a root, following @astracd guide for the onplus 5: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-5-5t-freedom-mobile-wind-wifi-calling-and-volte.880807/

You need to root, and try replacing the mbn files from the pixel 4 (assuming they have the israili customizatins). It's an older modem. but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Rooting guide from @Miustone

I couldn't get my superuser to work (so must not have been rooted properly), so I couldn't continue testing other mbn files. I'd love to hear if someone has success with this method though.

Reactions: Miustone

astracd

Jul 6, 2014
OnePlus 2
OnePlus 3
You need to root, and try replacing the mbn files from the pixel 4 (assuming they have the israili customizatins). It's an older modem. but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

mbn file must be for the phone with same chipset.

Pixel 4 uses Qualcomm SM8150 Snapdragon 855 and Sony Xperia 5 III SM8350 Snapdragon 888. So pixel mbn file will not work with this phone.

dima_vy

Aug 13, 2009
OK, I see guys, thank you for advises. I don't see any Israeli versions on any other models... I will try to do more research.

dima_vy

Aug 13, 2009
I read today about android 12 coming to Xperia 5 iii, may be it will fix the issue

dima_vy

Aug 13, 2009
I just checked again, and there is a global version for XQ-BQ52 with CID 23365115. Is there a way to check what firmware i have exactly installed?

mavicanuck

Nov 24, 2021
Hi,
I've seen there's now a USA customization out. Does anyone know if that will work on Freedom in Canada?

Milk Tea

Jun 26, 2012
Hi,
I've seen there's now a USA customization out. Does anyone know if that will work on Freedom in Canada?
Unlikely. Sony does not have Wi-Fi Calling on AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon.

They only had Wi-Fi Calling on the XZ1 Compact on T-Mobile. Literally just one phone on one network in all their history.

dima_vy

Aug 13, 2009
There is a version for global market for XQ-BQ52. May be this one will work?
Screenshot 2022-03-08 180854.png

Hazzay88

Sep 29, 2018
Sony Xperia 1 II
Thats exactly
The main issue that in some time mobile operators will shut down the 3G networks, and phone without VoLte simply won't work...

That's exactly the issue we face. I have the Xperia 1 II and flashed SEA firmware to get volte working but I don't think I will have the same success with Xperia 1 IV.

I would definitely buy the Xperia 1 IV if I know volte will work. It's an expensive phone and having no volte will make the phone useless once 3G network is shut which is imminent now

dima_vy

Aug 13, 2009
Thats exactly

That's exactly the issue we face. I have the Xperia 1 II and flashed SEA firmware to get volte working but I don't think I will have the same success with Xperia 1 IV.

I would definitely buy the Xperia 1 IV if I know volte will work. It's an expensive phone and having no volte will make the phone useless once 3G network is shut which is imminent now
I have now Xperia 5 iii, and I'm not sure that there is any firmware that will allow me to use volte and vowifi in Israel. According to Sony, as they don't sell phones here, they won't provide firmware which will support these functions in Israel... Israeli ministry of communications allows operators to shut down 3g networks in 2025 I think. I expect this phone to work more. My previous Xperia x worked 4.5 years.
So I just hope that there will be a way to use Sony phones in the future

Hazzay88

Sep 29, 2018
Sony Xperia 1 II
If the Xperia 1 IV doesn't have success I will get the Pixel 7 Pro as that is locally available which volte/ WiFi calling will work out of the box. However I prefer Xperia 1 IV but not going to pay for a phone with limited features. 3G network will start to shutdown this year for Australian network operators

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi @dima_vy
    First thing to try would be the firmware flashing. You can do this without rooting or boot unlocking.
    Get xperifirm and newflasher. There's a few customizations for XQ-BQ52 you can try without messing up your phone. I have the XQ-BQ72, and when I tried the 52 firmwares, the phone works but the modem connects and disconnects continuously so I doubt you'll find a working solution from the 72's.
    But...
    From a comment by @noldoli on:
    it really looks like you need:
    • The phone having the necessary MBN files for the mobile carrier in question
    • The SIM having VoLTE provisioned by the carrier in question
    It really seems you need Sony to include these files on their updates, which they are unlikely to do in countries they did not release the phone. BTW, if you ask Sony they will blame the carrier.

So, I think the next thing to try is with a root, following @astracd guide for the onplus 5: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-5-5t-freedom-mobile-wind-wifi-calling-and-volte.880807/

Rooting guide from @Miustone

I couldn't get my superuser to work (so must not have been rooted properly), so I couldn't continue testing other mbn files. I'd love to hear if someone has success with this method though.