• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[HOW-TO] Get your Milestone back to stock

Search This thread

Axiol

May 21, 2010
Liège
a.rnaud.be
Imagine you have to send your Milestone to the customer service, would be better if it was "clean" or you want to downgrade it ? Here is how to :

- 0 : What you need : A Windows (sorry ^^), RSDLite and the drivers 32bits or 64bits

- 1 : Choose the right .sbf from here

- 2 : Plug the USB and shut your Milestone down

- 3 : Boot it in bootloader mode (press the D-PAD UP key while pressing the power button)

- 4 : Launch RSD Lite, your device should be in the list

- 5 : Select your .sbf file and click on start ans let it do, your phone will reboot at the end

Here we are, you have your clean Milestone !

Attachments

• RSDLite_4.5.7.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 11,799
  • USB_Drivers_32_bit_4.5.0.zip
    4 MB · Views: 26,943
  • USB_Drivers_64_bit_4.5.0.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 9,539
Last edited:

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
how do i know which SBF file to use if my country isn't listed there? (I'm from South Africa) Thanks

Hi dingeth:
1) Are you rooted yet?
2) Where'd you buy the phone from?
3) Are you on the original ROM you bought it with?
4) What do you see under settings > about phone > Firmware configuration version?

There's a chance your phone is actually running the same firmware as another country's. For example if you bought it from Expansys it's probably a UK milestone. In any case, if I read Wikipedia right, UMTS 2100 is the only frequency used in all of Africa. So your phone might be like the Euro/most-of-Asia 900/2100 version, but it could also be like the CDN/Thai/LatAm 850/1900/2100 version. You won't lose 3G from flashing the wrong one because they all have 2100, but you'd be best to stick to the closest one you can.

Now - if your phone is still in total stock condition, unrooted, then you have the opportunity to make a nandroid backup of the original state. Go to the root instructions using OpenRecovery. When you get to the stage where you're in the OpenRecovery menu, before you go and root the phone, make a full backup. Make two in fact - one with data, one without. And copy it somewhere safe.

Reactions: dk.android

dingeth

Sep 13, 2008
Hi dingeth:
1) Are you rooted yet?
4) What do you see under settings > about phone > Firmware configuration version?

There's a chance your phone is actually running the same firmware as another country's. For example if you bought it from Expansys it's probably a UK milestone. In any case, if I read Wikipedia right, UMTS 2100 is the only frequency used in all of Africa. So your phone might be like the Euro/most-of-Asia 900/2100 version, but it could also be like the CDN/Thai/LatAm 850/1900/2100 version. You won't lose 3G from flashing the wrong one because they all have 2100, but you'd be best to stick to the closest one you can.

Now - if your phone is still in total stock condition, unrooted, then you have the opportunity to make a nandroid backup of the original state. Go to the root instructions using OpenRecovery. When you get to the stage where you're in the OpenRecovery menu, before you go and root the phone, make a full backup. Make two in fact - one with data, one without. And copy it somewhere safe.
Hi cmstlist

yes I am rooted. I used the rooting procedure desribed using aumkar's method with the vulnerable recovery and RSD Lite.

I received the phone on contract (MTN) and the firmware configuration version says:
GAS_EMEA_USASHLS00RTINT_P012 and Build SHOLS_U2_02.31.0

I was thinking of trying the U.K SBF for 2.1 coz it also has the same build number?

too late for the nandroid backup since it's already rooted. everything works fine though, rooted it to overclock which works 100%!!! Nut i'm wondering if i'll run into any problems when i eventually try to upgrade to Froyo. thanks again :)

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Hi cmstlist

yes I am rooted. I used the rooting procedure desribed using aumkar's method with the vulnerable recovery and RSD Lite.

I received the phone on contract (MTN) and the firmware configuration version says:
GAS_EMEA_USASHLS00RTINT_P012 and Build SHOLS_U2_02.31.0

I was thinking of trying the U.K SBF for 2.1 coz it also has the same build number?

too late for the nandroid backup since it's already rooted. everything works fine though, rooted it to overclock which works 100%!!! Nut i'm wondering if i'll run into any problems when i eventually try to upgrade to Froyo. thanks again :)

Interesting! MTN must have released it so recently that nobody has located the SBF. EMEA means Europe, Middle East, Asia... so it's probably UMTS 900/2100. Don't forget to take a nandroid backup now before trying anything - because you may have no way to get back to your original carrier's firmware.

Also if anyone else on your carrier buys a Milestone and is looking to root, suggest that they make the backup before rooting. Then there will be a master copy.

EDIT: That string is mentioned in this post:
http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-milestone/75460-milestone-2-1-update-root-guide.html
and the following file name is posted to match:
SHOLS_U2_02.31.0_UCASHLSMR2EMEAB1B805C.0R_PDS003_USASHLS00RTINT_P012_A011_HWp2a_Service1FF.sbf.gz

The SBF in question is not listed yet on and-developers but it's on Motorola's site:
https://rsddownload.motorola.com/do...SHLS00RTINT_P012_A011_HWp2a_Service1FF.sbf.gz
And the non-service version (full wipe when you flash it) is here:
https://rsddownload.motorola.com/do...003_USASHLS00RTINT_P012_A011_HWp2a_1FF.sbf.gz

Good luck!

Last edited:

dingeth

Sep 13, 2008
ok so i made the nandroid backup :)

last question: should i use the service or the non-service .sbf?

what are the differences, and which one do you recommend?

thanks

A-HWH

Jun 10, 2010
Singapore
Well if you want everything to be wipe out than a non-service sbf should do the job but a wipe/data reset via recovery console is also recommended for ultimate clean state.

So I guess a non-service sbf is a total wipeout but service sbf leave something intact which I have no idea. I have been using non-service sbf to root and unroot my milestone hence I have no idea what the service version do.

Axiol

May 21, 2010
Liège
a.rnaud.be
No, it doesn't. To do it, on you Androphone, you've have to go into Setting, SD Card and Memory, Desactivate the SD and then format it (maybe not the right label, mine are in French, but should be close).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Imagine you have to send your Milestone to the customer service, would be better if it was "clean" or you want to downgrade it ? Here is how to :

- 0 : What you need : A Windows (sorry ^^), RSDLite and the drivers 32bits or 64bits

- 1 : Choose the right .sbf from here

- 2 : Plug the USB and shut your Milestone down

- 3 : Boot it in bootloader mode (press the D-PAD UP key while pressing the power button)

- 4 : Launch RSD Lite, your device should be in the list

- 5 : Select your .sbf file and click on start ans let it do, your phone will reboot at the end

Here we are, you have your clean Milestone !
    how do i know which SBF file to use if my country isn't listed there? (I'm from South Africa) Thanks

Hi dingeth:
    1) Are you rooted yet?

The only reason I posted this is because I indeed flashed my Milestone with the Miler build on the site and it killed my APN. I wasn't aware of the similarity between all the other carriers and mine, thank you for informing me! With that said, you say I should go.to the Droid forums, would that mean I can flash with a Droid rom??? :)

Sent from the Milestone

Well, I can't promise it will work, but I can tell you that other users from other regional carriers were able to put Droid ROMs on their CDMA Milestones with no trouble. Definitely keep that nandroid backup of yours around! But you should be using recovery images designed for the Droid, and taking your backups in there accordingly.

If you're looking to flash by SBF, these are the CDMA ones available:
    http://and-developers.com/sbf:droid

But take a look at this thread:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/69780-cellular-south-milestone-droid-3.html
    The Cellular South Milestone/Droid is the Droid A855 re-branded for regional carriers and given a model number of A854 to differentiate. Aside from the name change it also has a baseband which does NOT lock the data settings to one specific carrier.

DO NOT USE A RADIO UPDATE FROM VERIZON!

So long as you avoid using any SHX/SBF files from Verizon or update.zip files for updating the radio you should be fine. Any reputable ROM developer will have radio updates separate from their ROM so you should be good with any Droid ROM through ROM Manager or on this forum.

Also, you will need to add a custom apns-conf.xml file to /system/etc/ or an apns.xml file to /system/etc/customer/ in order to enable MMS on any third-party ROMs. You may want to check for and pull these files from your stock ROM before you start messing with custom ROMs.

So in other words - don't apply ROMs by SBF, and don't update the radio. Install a custom recovery instead (e.g. via rooting and then using ROM Manager), and then you can install Droid ROMs. And back up the files that the quote above tells you to.

Another thread to look at:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=865016
    Q: Has anybody got a copy of the .sbf's from the moto official site? The Eclair ones don't seem to be there any more. I've only got the central-europe one (service and non-service), should somebody need it.
    I'm looking for, khm, the German O2-one, non-service Eclair ;)