[How-To][Guide] Root Pixel 3 XL with Magisk 18.1 [pre-patched boot.img] - Feb

Search This thread

eqbirvin

Apr 6, 2012
Colorado
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Updates
Updated to March (.002) based on Magisk 18.1. Please update to the latest adb/fastboot files provided by Google (found in "Useful Links") the latest is "platform-tools_r28.0.2-windows.zip"
As a little plus, I've but putting the stock boots up also since we started. Below in "Useful Links" is a link to my Android File Host where you can find the stock and patched boot images.

Preface
Magisk has been updated include support for Pixel XL 3 (crosshatch) and Pixel 3 (blueline) but I figured I would patch the boot.img and upload it to here for those who want to save a small amount of time or who are lazy like myself. Mishaal Rahman has put out a guide on the XDA Portal that directly inspired this guide and I give full credit to him and topjohnwu
HOWEVER, If you are new the the root/dev/command-line scene I HIGHLY recommend that you follow Mishaal's post on the XDA Portal. He goes into a lot of further detail than I will, tells you how to unlock your bootloader if you haven't already, walks you through the installation of Magisk and has suggestions of what to do with root.
I'm going to try to make this as clean and straight to the point as possible for those of us who know the ropes but also clear and concise enough for any newcomers. All credit is being given, if I overlooked where someone deserves credit, please let me know! Well, let us get to it ya'll!

Pre-Recs IMPORTANT
  • Unlocked Bootloader (this means no root for Verizon Pixel 3/XL owners) If you do not know how to unlock the bootloader, follow Mishaal's "Part 1" of his post and I recommend following his entire guide for those new to this
  • Correctly installed and up-to-date adb/fastboot and device drivers (see below for links)
  • This How-To is written for Windows 10

How-To

Rooting March update (.002) Links to patched_boot.March.002img AndroidFileHost | Google Drive
  1. Make sure you are already on the March update (ending in .002)
  2. Download the above zip and extract to any desired location
  3. Reboot device to bootloader: power button + volume down for 2 seconds from a power-off state, or hold volume down after issuing reboot from power menu, or issue adb command "adb reboot" after enabling adb access from developer settings
  4. This is another reminder to make sure adb and fastboot are up to date (latest are platform-tools_r28.0.2 for windows)
  5. open cmd at the location of the extracted patched_boot.img
  6. In cmd type
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img
  7. In cmd type
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img
  8. In cmd type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
  9. Open Magisk Manager, it will pop up and say "Update to latest Magisk Manager," click update.
  10. Once in Magisk Manager, it will prompt you with additional files are needed to complete Magisk install, go ahead and download the files
  11. After a few seconds, install will be complete and you will be rooted!

Rooting February update
Links to patched_boot.001.feb.img AndroidFileHost | Google Drive
  1. Make sure you are already on the February update (ending in .001)
  3. Reboot device to bootloader: power button + volume down for 2 seconds from a power-off state, or hold volume down after issuing reboot from power menu, or issue adb command "adb reboot" after enabling adb access from developer settings
  4. This is another reminder to make sure adb and fastboot are up to date
  6. In cmd type
    Code:
  7. In cmd type
    Code:
  8. In cmd type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
  9. Open Magisk Manager, it will pop up and say "Update to latest Magisk Manager," click update.
  10. Once in Magisk Manager, it will prompt you with additional files are needed to complete Magisk install, go ahead and download the files

Rooting January Update
[Links to Patched_boot.img Jan.004 AndroidFileHost | Google Drive
  1. Make sure you are already on the January update (ending in .004)
  6. In cmd type
    Code:
  7. In cmd type
    Code:
  8. In cmd type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
  9. Go to Magisk Manager and make sure says you're rooted

Rooting December Update
[Links to Patched_boot.img December.006.Magisk18 AndroidFileHost | Google Drive
  1. Make sure you are already on the December update (ending in .006)
  6. In cmd type
    Code:
  7. In cmd type
    Code:
  8. In cmd type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

Rooting November Update (Patched_boot.img does not work on this method so you have to do it the long way...)
November update is a bit different and we cant seem to get patched_boot.img method to work. So I will outline the process that works for rooting November below. Any guide below requires that you have the latest adb/fastboot installed and that you have an unlocked Bootloader.
If coming from rooted Sept software use this guide:
  1. Uninstall all Magisk Modules then reboot.
  2. Download the stock factory images for Nov.
  3. Extract and find the "flashall.bat" .bat file
  4. Right click > Edit
  5. In the .bat find "-w" and DELETE it
  6. Safe the file
  7. After removing "-w" put phone into fastboot, plug it in, and run "flashall.bat"
  8. Wait for it to get done and reboot
  9. boot to system > go to settings > security and remove any pin or password or pattern
  10. Download the latest Magisk Beta (17.3 as of writing this) and transfer to device internal storage
  11. Now, head over to the TWRP thread and download the twrp_boot.img
  12. Return to fastboot and open cmd in its download location
  13. run "fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-1-crosshatch.img" and give your device a minute or two to boot into TWRP
  14. Once there, find and flash the magisk beta on the internal storage
  15. reboot and test to make sure it says you're rooted

If starting fresh from November (.A1.) Update
  1. Install November update
  2. Download latest Magisk Beta (17.3) and move it to the internal storage of the device
  3. Reboot to bootloader
  4. Download the .img version of TWRP for "crosshatch"
  5. In the location of downloaded TWRP .img, open cmd and enter
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-1-crosshatch.img
  6. Allow twrp to boot (this will take a minute or two)
  7. Then go to install and install the Magisk zip
  8. Reboot and find magisk manager and make sure it says you're rooted

Until there is an update to the patched_boot.imgs, dont follow the how to beyond this point. In fact I am hiding it for the time being.

Rooting Sept software and software that shipped with the device
[Patched_boot.img for Sept Drive | AndroidFileHost]
  1. Download the above zip and extract to desired location
  2. Reboot device to bootloader: power button + volume down for 2 seconds from a power-off state, or hold volume down after issuing reboot from power menu, or issue adb command "adb reboot" after enabling adb access from developer settings
  3. This is another reminder to make sure adb and fastboot are up to date
  4. open cmd at the location of the extracted patched_boot.img
  5. In cmd type
    Code:
  6. In cmd type
    Code:
  7. In cmd type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
  8. Go to Magisk Manager and make sure says you're rooted

Useful links

Credits
@topjohnwu (link to Magisk thread) He does amazing work; if you can donate to him
@MishaalRahman (link to his amazing instuctions on XDA Portal)
@doughLynch
and
@jlee08517
@ridobe
For being OGs and being here from the begining

Last edited:

cky2000

Aug 17, 2010
West Palm Beach
Thank you eqbirvin. I tried my own boot image from the factory image and tried the other boot image from another thread. (of course they both needed to be patched) I followed the directions to a "T" and kept getting stuck on the bootloader screen. I forgot word for word what it said lolol but something like cannot find secure boot slot. I used your pre patched boot image and worked the first time. Thank you again.

Last edited:
Reactions: eqbirvin

freebee269

Feb 27, 2013
i am getting a bootloop. my pixel 3 xl starts up to the google logo screen and does the animations but right before it displays the lock screen it crashes and restarts. i am on 030 version of pie and using the boot image that came with the factory images to root with magisk. if i flash just boot_a then i get the error no slot to boot. i have to flash both boot_a and boot_b to get to the logo screen. anyone come across this and have a fix?

also anyone notice the patched image is much smaller than the stock image?

edit: i got it to work. i had to change the patched_boot.img name to boot.img for it to work. also i used the canary build of magisk. this also works for the verizon version 031. 031 boot.img file is the one i patched. i took it from the factory images.

Last edited:
Reactions: eqbirvin

eqbirvin

Apr 6, 2012
Colorado
Google Pixel 6 Pro
PLEASE HELP

I followed this guide;
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-unlock-bootloader-root-magisk/

Unlocked my bootloder no problem, and got to part 16 for rooting, I select Start in the bootloader and it says "Enter reason: no valid slot to boot"

Did you flash to both slots or just one? also, follow the guide again and make sure that your downloaded and patched boot.imgs are both completely downloaded AND transfered to device correctly

alsip1023

Nov 11, 2013
Is there any way to get Magisk 17.3 installed now? I didn't get it done before John Wu took down 17.3 and now magisk manager will only find 17.2 to install.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updates
    Updated to March (.002) based on Magisk 18.1. Please update to the latest adb/fastboot files provided by Google (found in "Useful Links") the latest is "platform-tools_r28.0.2-windows.zip"
    As a little plus, I've but putting the stock boots up also since we started. Below in "Useful Links" is a link to my Android File Host where you can find the stock and patched boot images.

Preface
    Magisk has been updated include support for Pixel XL 3 (crosshatch) and Pixel 3 (blueline) but I figured I would patch the boot.img and upload it to here for those who want to save a small amount of time or who are lazy like myself. Mishaal Rahman has put out a guide on the XDA Portal that directly inspired this guide and I give full credit to him and topjohnwu
    HOWEVER, If you are new the the root/dev/command-line scene I HIGHLY recommend that you follow Mishaal's post on the XDA Portal. He goes into a lot of further detail than I will, tells you how to unlock your bootloader if you haven't already, walks you through the installation of Magisk and has suggestions of what to do with root.
    I'm going to try to make this as clean and straight to the point as possible for those of us who know the ropes but also clear and concise enough for any newcomers. All credit is being given, if I overlooked where someone deserves credit, please let me know! Well, let us get to it ya'll!

Pre-Recs IMPORTANT
    • Unlocked Bootloader (this means no root for Verizon Pixel 3/XL owners) If you do not know how to unlock the bootloader, follow Mishaal's "Part 1" of his post and I recommend following his entire guide for those new to this
    • Correctly installed and up-to-date adb/fastboot and device drivers (see below for links)
    • This How-To is written for Windows 10

How-To

Rooting March update (.002) Links to patched_boot.March.002img AndroidFileHost | Google Drive
    1. Make sure you are already on the March update (ending in .002)
    4. This is another reminder to make sure adb and fastboot are up to date (latest are platform-tools_r28.0.2 for windows)
    6. In cmd type
      Code:
    7. In cmd type
      Code:
    8. In cmd type
      Code:
      fastboot reboot

Rooting February update
    Links to patched_boot.001.feb.img AndroidFileHost | Google Drive
    1. Make sure you are already on the February update (ending in .001)
    6. In cmd type
      Code:
    7. In cmd type
      Code:
    8. In cmd type
      Code:
      fastboot reboot

Rooting January Update
    [Links to Patched_boot.img Jan.004 AndroidFileHost | Google Drive
    1. Make sure you are already on the January update (ending in .004)
    6. In cmd type
      Code:
    7. In cmd type
      Code:
    8. In cmd type
      Code:
      fastboot reboot

Rooting December Update
    [Links to Patched_boot.img December.006.Magisk18 AndroidFileHost | Google Drive
    1. Make sure you are already on the December update (ending in .006)
    6. In cmd type
      Code:
    7. In cmd type
      Code:
    8. In cmd type
      Code:
      fastboot reboot

Rooting November Update (Patched_boot.img does not work on this method so you have to do it the long way...)
    November update is a bit different and we cant seem to get patched_boot.img method to work. So I will outline the process that works for rooting November below. Any guide below requires that you have the latest adb/fastboot installed and that you have an unlocked Bootloader.
    If coming from rooted Sept software use this guide:
    1. Uninstall all Magisk Modules then reboot.
    2. Download the stock factory images for Nov.
    3. Extract and find the "flashall.bat" .bat file
    4. Right click > Edit
    5. In the .bat find "-w" and DELETE it
    6. Safe the file
    7. After removing "-w" put phone into fastboot, plug it in, and run "flashall.bat"
    8. Wait for it to get done and reboot
    9. boot to system > go to settings > security and remove any pin or password or pattern
    10. Download the latest Magisk Beta (17.3 as of writing this) and transfer to device internal storage
    11. Now, head over to the TWRP thread and download the twrp_boot.img
    12. Return to fastboot and open cmd in its download location
    13. run "fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-1-crosshatch.img" and give your device a minute or two to boot into TWRP
    14. Once there, find and flash the magisk beta on the internal storage
    15. reboot and test to make sure it says you're rooted

If starting fresh from November (.A1.) Update
    1. Install November update
    2. Download latest Magisk Beta (17.3) and move it to the internal storage of the device
    3. Reboot to bootloader
    4. Download the .img version of TWRP for "crosshatch"
    5. In the location of downloaded TWRP .img, open cmd and enter
      Code:
      fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-1-crosshatch.img
    6. Allow twrp to boot (this will take a minute or two)
    7. Then go to install and install the Magisk zip
    8. Reboot and find magisk manager and make sure it says you're rooted

Until there is an update to the patched_boot.imgs, dont follow the how to beyond this point. In fact I am hiding it for the time being.

Rooting Sept software and software that shipped with the device
    [Patched_boot.img for Sept Drive | AndroidFileHost]
    1. Download the above zip and extract to desired location
    2. Reboot device to bootloader: power button + volume down for 2 seconds from a power-off state, or hold volume down after issuing reboot from power menu, or issue adb command "adb reboot" after enabling adb access from developer settings
    3. This is another reminder to make sure adb and fastboot are up to date
    4. open cmd at the location of the extracted patched_boot.img
    5. In cmd type
      Code:
    6. In cmd type
      Code:
    7. In cmd type
      Code:
      fastboot reboot
    8. Go to Magisk Manager and make sure says you're rooted

Useful links

Credits
    @topjohnwu (link to Magisk thread) He does amazing work; if you can donate to him
    @MishaalRahman (link to his amazing instuctions on XDA Portal)
    @doughLynch
    and
    @jlee08517
    @ridobe
    For being OGs and being here from the begining
    My method should work using my patched boot. It was patched with 17.3. However, If he pulled it because of bugs, I recommend holding off until he updates again to fix the bugs. I will update my patched_boot as soon as I get word that he pushes an update.
    Magisk 17.3 (hotfix) has been pushed. I will be patching the boot.img and updating
    This is a evolving and being updated post lol Sorry for the strange layout and poor instuctions at first
    Just wanted to say thanks for the effortless walkthrough. Rooted in less than 10 minutes. Painless. Refreshing. Cheers!
    Happy New Years everyone :)
    Friendly reminder for the New Year
    XDA etiquette
    If someone helps you, etiquette requires you thank the person that helped you.
    The way to do that on XDA is tap the thanks button/icon or tap the Developer's donate link.