[HOW-TO] How To Make a Custom Bootscreen

Search This thread

HeroMeng

Jan 16, 2010
The Bowels Of Hell
This is a tutorial on how to make a custom bootscreen for HTC ROMS ONLY. This will NOT work on AOSP roms. First, get the images you want to make your bootscreen out of, minimum requirement is two. Next, get the bootsound you want. Now, name the image you want to appear first "boot1.gif". Name the second image you want to appear "boot2.gif". Repeat this process for as many images you have. Now, rename the sound boot.mp3. Push them all to /system/media/bootscreen and reboot. There you go, your own custom bootscreen.

djsplitimage

Dec 22, 2008
I tried to do what you said, but it tells me that it cant copy because it's a read only file system, should I be trying this in some other mode (ie: fastboot or recovery) instead of just having the phone on as normal and connected to the computer?

PS: I'm running Fresh 1.1 with gbhil's kernel

kendong2

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 29, 2009
wow, worst howto ever... you left so much stuff out. remounting, properties of the files, the fact that they actually need to be gifs, the size, the color depth, the mode and finally there is another file called boot_animation.xml...

HeroMeng

Jan 16, 2010
The Bowels Of Hell
I tried to do what you said, but it tells me that it cant copy because it's a read only file system, should I be trying this in some other mode (ie: fastboot or recovery) instead of just having the phone on as normal and connected to the computer?

PS: I'm running Fresh 1.1 with gbhil's kernel

You need to do adb remount to get rid of the read-only filesystem warning.

pseudoremora

Nov 28, 2009
I'll post a more extensive tutorial up later, a bit lazy right now; since I'm working on actually making a boot screen. Anyways, here's a preview.

2mrb2b6.gif

Last edited:

tejasrichard

Apr 3, 2009
I cannot make this work using the method in the first post. I have tried placing the files in a custom rom, pushing through adb, and replacing files in a zip, resigning and flashing. Worst case: nothing happened at all. Occaisionally, the image would be there, but not in the right place and all staticy. The closest I've come was replacing the boot1.gif in an update.zip with my own boot1.gif. This had the image in the right place, but there was no animation and it was completely staticy, like a bad tv signal ota. And I've not had ANY luck replacing the boot.mp3 file. Not getting any sound ever. Any ideas?

HeroMeng

Jan 16, 2010
The Bowels Of Hell
I cannot make this work using the method in the first post. I have tried placing the files in a custom rom, pushing through adb, and replacing files in a zip, resigning and flashing. Worst case: nothing happened at all. Occaisionally, the image would be there, but not in the right place and all staticy. The closest I've come was replacing the boot1.gif in an update.zip with my own boot1.gif. This had the image in the right place, but there was no animation and it was completely staticy, like a bad tv signal ota. And I've not had ANY luck replacing the boot.mp3 file. Not getting any sound ever. Any ideas?
Email me your files and I'll make an update.zip for you. kevinstech AT gmail DOT com

tejasrichard

Apr 3, 2009
Figured it out, lol! After doing some more reading (and getting my hands on a gif editor), I figured out the problem:
my animation xml had the volume set to 0, and the gif had a transparent background. It still would load properly if I pushed it, but after hacking an update.zip I had saved, it works fine! I need to chop the mp3 down some, but other than that, it looks fantastic! If it wasn't completely full of copywrited material, i would post it up.

pseudoremora

Nov 28, 2009
Figured it out, lol! After doing some more reading (and getting my hands on a gif editor), I figured out the problem:
my animation xml had the volume set to 0, and the gif had a transparent background. It still would load properly if I pushed it, but after hacking an update.zip I had saved, it works fine! I need to chop the mp3 down some, but other than that, it looks fantastic! If it wasn't completely full of copywrited material, i would post it up.
Mind posting or sending it to me so I could take a look. I'm trying to create a boot screen myself and I have the .gif made and what not, but when I flash it -- the boot screen I made gets really big and I see green lines and everything. So the boot screen works, but not the right way.

tejasrichard

Apr 3, 2009
I certainly don't mind sending it to you, but I'm not sure how much help it will be. I literally just removed the files from an update.zip that I downloaded from here (the hero/horizontal nexus hybrid with sound) and replaced the files with my own files named the same thing. It does work, but I feel like a big ol' cheater, lol!

pseudoremora

Nov 28, 2009
I certainly don't mind sending it to you, but I'm not sure how much help it will be. I literally just removed the files from an update.zip that I downloaded from here (the hero/horizontal nexus hybrid with sound) and replaced the files with my own files named the same thing. It does work, but I feel like a big ol' cheater, lol!
Work smarter -- not harder.;)

tejasrichard

Apr 3, 2009
sound

Is there a way to set the audio so that it begins when the second boot.gif starts? Here is the xml file I've been using:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
- <!--
* Copyright (C) 2008 HTC Inc.

-->
- <!-- For new bootup animation
<BootConfiguration>
<BootAnimation
image="/system/media/bootscreen/boot.gif"
audio="/system/media/bootscreen/boot.mp3"
image2="/system/media/bootscreen/boot2.gif" (optional)
image3="/system/media/bootscreen/boot3.gif" (optional)
screenX="100" (optional)
screenY="130" (optional)
image_bg = "/system/media/bootscreen/boot_bg.gif" (optional)
useAudio="0" // 1: true ; 0:false (optional)
/>
</BootConfiguration>

-->
- <!-- For cropped version
-->
- <BootConfiguration>
<BootAnimation image="/system/media/bootscreen/boot1.gif" image2="/system/media/bootscreen/boot2.gif" loopimage="/system/media/bootscreen/boot2.gif" image_bg="/system/media/bootscreen/boot_bg.gif" audio="/system/media/bootscreen/boot.mp3" screenX="0" screenY="90" useAudio="1" />
</BootConfiguration>

- <!-- For full screen version
-->
- <!-- BootConfiguration>
<BootAnimation
image="/system/media/bootscreen/boot1.gif"
image2="/system/media/bootscreen/boot2.gif"
loopimage="/system/media/bootscreen/boot2.gif"
audio="/system/media/bootscreen/boot.mp3"
useAudio="0"
/>
</BootConfiguration
-->

I believe the part in bold is the part working on our phone, correct?

edit: just realised something. This isn't actually controlling anything, is it? If I am right, all this does is point the loader to the correct files, right? So, any ideas what I would need to edit and where I would find it?

Last edited:

pseudoremora

Nov 28, 2009
Is there a way to set the audio so that it begins when the second boot.gif starts? Here is the xml file I've been using:

- <!-- For cropped version
-->
- <BootConfiguration>
<BootAnimation image="/system/media/bootscreen/boot1.gif" image2="/system/media/bootscreen/boot2.gif" loopimage="/system/media/bootscreen/boot2.gif" image_bg="/system/media/bootscreen/boot_bg.gif" audio="/system/media/bootscreen/boot.mp3" screenX="0" screenY="90" useAudio="1" />
</BootConfiguration>

I believe the part in bold is the part working on our phone, correct?

edit: just realised something. This isn't actually controlling anything, is it? If I am right, all this does is point the loader to the correct files, right? So, any ideas what I would need to edit and where I would find it?
Correct. The .xml file points to where the files are and there respective file names. The "useAudio" variable has either on or off (1 or 0) -- in order to do what you want, you'll have to trim the audio down to where you want it to play. Otherwise, you could try inserting another audio file (useAudio2) and set it to "1" and see if it boots properly, if it does, then all you have to do is trim it down, set it, and you should be good to go. I've never tried the secondly audio file -- so you could have problems, good luck though.

tejasrichard

Apr 3, 2009
Yeah, I'm getting a funny error message. I can't post links yet, but I'll throw a couple of attachments of the diff. xml files up here. here is the error message I'm getting:

"
The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duplicate attribute. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Android/Themes/Bootscreens/Work/system/media/bootscreen/revised....

/>

"

Any ideas? Or does this just mean it won't work?

edit: sorry for the .zip's, it wouldn't let me upload straight .xml's

Attachments

• original.zip
    462 bytes · Views: 13
  • revised.zip
    475 bytes · Views: 10

djsplitimage

Dec 22, 2008
I managed to flash my own custom boot but the only problem is that my sound comes through fine, but the animation I use shows up on the screen slanted

/ <~~~ like that, the pic is literally slanted, though it still runs.

Any ideas?