[HOW TO] HTC Desire Custom Splash screen

Search This thread

MRE-net

Jun 5, 2006
Hi All,

After applying the S-OFF method (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=794314) I noticed that the Splash screen changed from the white screen with HTC on it to an image with The Joker (from Batman) on it. Although I do like Batman movies, I wanted to change the splash screen.

For those who don't know, the splash screen has nothing to do with the bootanimation, which comes after the splash screen.

I searched the forum and found a thread to change the boot screen on the Droid Incredible. I followed part of the steps and tried it on my HTC Desire. The results are fine. I decided to make a little guide to change your splash screen.

In order to make a custom splash screen, you need the following:

1. Image editing program such ash Photoshop, Gimp etc
2. NBIMG command-line splash<-->image converter tool [Windows Download] or [Linux Download] (Original Dev Thread)
3. Android SDK http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

How to:
  1. Download and extract the files linked above and place them somewhere familiar to you.
  2. In your image creation/manipulation program, create a new image. Set the image size to 480x800. (If you already have an image in mind, open that and resize it)
  3. Create/modify/customize the image however you like.
  4. Save the image as splash1.bmp file. Ensure that you are saving the file as a 24bit RGB color bitmap. To make things easy, save the image in the same folder where you extracted the nbimg tool.
  5. Open a command or terminal window and CD to your nbimg folder.
  6. Type in the following command: nbimg -F splash1.bmp -w 480 -h 800
  7. If successful, nbimg should have created an nb file called 'splash1.bmp.nb'.
  8. Rename 'splash1.bmp.nb' to 'splash1.img'.
  9. Boot your Desire into Bootloader and connect it to your computer
  10. Open een command or terminal window and browse to the Tools folder which should reside in your Android SDK folder when you unzipped it.
  11. Type in the following command: fastboot flash splash1 splash1.img
  12. The output should be something like this:
Code:
D:\Android\AndroidSDK\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot flash splash1 splash1.img
    sending 'splash1' (750 KB)... OKAY [  0.125s]
             writing 'splash1'... OKAY [  0.218s]
finished. total time: 0.343s

13. Reboot your Desire and enjoy your new splash screen.

Thanks to:
* ieftm for S-OFF
* All the others who made S-OFF possible
* deficitism for the custom splash screen guide

REMEMBER: When you do follow this guide, you do it at your own risk. I do not, I repeat, DO NOT, take any responsibility when things go wrong. Feel free to submit any improvements whatsoever.

finally, the short version for (ubuntu) linux users:
  1. read through the thread for minimum-requirements, such as s-off etc. i don't know if the phone needs to be rooted and am to lazy to find it out (since mine already was anyway).
  2. download and install nbimg from http://pof.eslack.org/2008/07/03/nbimg-htc-splash-screen-tool/
  3. create your .img-file as described in the first posting in steps
  4. download fastboot.zip from the attachment of the following posting: http://www.pocketpc.ch/htc-desire-hd-root-rom/116448-anleitung-desire-hd-s-off-bootloader-flashen.html#post871105
  5. you also might want to decide in which folder you want to keep it on your computer as a "program". if you are unsure, your /home/%USER/ folder will do just fine. – ... btw. unless you are familiar with creating symbolic links on command line i advise you to abandon any second thoughts about this issue after this step.
  6. now open a terminal and type the following to "install" fastboot and make it easier to use later on command line (in fact just unzipping the fastboot archive and creating a symbolic link in /usr/bin/:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install unzip
    cd /path/to/where/you/are/storing/the/fastboot-zip-file/
    unzip fastboot.zip -d fastboot
    sudo ln -s fastboot/fastboot-linux /usr/bin/fastboot
  7. do NOT move the folder "fastboot" or the file "fastboot-linux" afterwards, or you will break the symbolic link in /usr/bin/
  8. keep the terminal open.
  9. now change to the directory where you saved your splash-image files (those with the .img extension you created earlier with the nbimg-tool):
    Code:
    cd /path/where/your/splash/files/are/stored/
  10. still keep the terminal open.
  11. now boot your phone into bootloader mode (htc desire: press "power" and "volume down")
  12. connect your phone to the computer and enable "FASTBOOT" mode in the bootloader (in my case, with clockworkmod, the line "FASTBOOT USB" in red uppercase letters appears on the screen, among other information shown)
  13. now change back to your terminal/command line tool and flash the splash image on the phone:
    Code:
    sudo fastboot flash splash1 name-of-your-splash-image-file.img
  14. voilà!
in my case, i got a "waiting for device"-message, and sometimes those error some got (something with splash -1 ...). firstly i thought that was due to me using a 64-bit computer, a faulty fastboot executable and so on. finally i found out, that i simply needed super user rights to successfully flash the image :)

Last edited:

Mekrel

Apr 20, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Dude.. if you would like to make things a tad bit easier for people. Link them to my 1-click splash converter and flasher. Nice guide. Bit hard on the noobs lol. Anyway.. I'll leave a link.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=794638

Dan

This didn't work for me, the program kept throwing a .NET error which is weird as Windows7 comes with .NET 3.5 with all service packs etc.

Even installed .NET 4.0

MRE-net

Jun 5, 2006
Dude.. if you would like to make things a tad bit easier for people. Link them to my 1-click splash converter and flasher. Nice guide. Bit hard on the noobs lol. Anyway.. I'll leave a link.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=794638

Dan

Great work man... Didn't see your thread. Actually this thread can be closed then.

And no the phone number on the screen doesn't belong to the sim inside the phone :D

ephumuris

Dec 7, 2008
Hull
Manual way is always better. At least you learn how to use the commands. I was going to post this :p

Oh and if your image is already the right size you only need "nbimg -F splash1.bmp".

Oh and no need to type >fastboot. Just fastboot works.

Mekrel

Apr 20, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Strange.. can you post the error? or was it to do with nbimg?

Sure thing mate, happens when I select the splash1.bmp

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file '.\splash1.bmp' because it is being used by another process.
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileSystem.FileCopy(String Source, String Destination)
at SPLASH_Flasher.Form1.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SPLASH Flasher
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Mekerz/Downloads/SPLASH%20Flasher_1.2.2/SPLASH%20Flasher/SPLASH%20Flasher.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 10.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

founti

Feb 12, 2008
THX ... worked like a charm !

The 1Click Solution didnt work for me.... no error was displayed, but the splash didnt change....

Greetings

raheelqureshi

Aug 19, 2010
Wembley
I am getting this error

C:\1\tools>fastboot flash splash1 splash1.img
sending 'splash1' (750 KB)... FAILED (status malformed (1 bytes))
finished. total time: 0.001s

Followed all instructions but still getting that error.

Help

chucic

Jun 30, 2010
C:\1\tools>fastboot flash splash1 splash1.img
sending 'splash1' (750 KB)... FAILED (status malformed (1 bytes))
finished. total time: 0.001s

chucic

Jun 30, 2010
yes, I used both your tool and tools inside SDK too.
But, if use i-click tool, will shows that image already used by other program and stop....
if use command by fastboot.....will shows Failed like that.

danward

Jun 27, 2010
Sydney
But, if use i-click tool, will shows that image already used by other program and stop....

Yeah, I've got a easy bugfix coming out in the next 3 hours. Until then all you have to do is copy the "splash1.bmp" out of the "SPLASH Flasher" folder into another one and then open it from there. I tested it, I was able to reproduce the error. That is the fix.

Dan

Last edited:

desire888

May 29, 2010
Manual way is always better. At least you learn how to use the commands. I was going to post this :p

Oh and if your image is already the right size you only need "nbimg -F splash1.bmp".

Oh and no need to type >fastboot. Just fastboot works.

Manual is generally better for everything! lol

chrisvx

May 1, 2010
Sydney

h t t p://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=794638

Dan

It is good to have the manual method written up for people that cannot use your tool i.e. everyone that refuses to run windows :)

greatdain

Jun 13, 2010
Cambridge

I also had this issue when trying to use ADB to flash new boot screen. Then realised that I actually had to enter fastboot on the phone as well... rookie error I guess - never done this before - but worked perfectly once I had entered fastboot - not just pressed Power+Vol down...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

After applying the S-OFF method (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=794314) I noticed that the Splash screen changed from the white screen with HTC on it to an image with The Joker (from Batman) on it. Although I do like Batman movies, I wanted to change the splash screen.

For those who don't know, the splash screen has nothing to do with the bootanimation, which comes after the splash screen.

I searched the forum and found a thread to change the boot screen on the Droid Incredible. I followed part of the steps and tried it on my HTC Desire. The results are fine. I decided to make a little guide to change your splash screen.

In order to make a custom splash screen, you need the following:

1. Image editing program such ash Photoshop, Gimp etc
    2. NBIMG command-line splash<-->image converter tool [Windows Download] or [Linux Download] (Original Dev Thread)
    3. Android SDK http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

How to:
    1. Download and extract the files linked above and place them somewhere familiar to you.
    2. In your image creation/manipulation program, create a new image. Set the image size to 480x800. (If you already have an image in mind, open that and resize it)
    3. Create/modify/customize the image however you like.
    4. Save the image as splash1.bmp file. Ensure that you are saving the file as a 24bit RGB color bitmap. To make things easy, save the image in the same folder where you extracted the nbimg tool.
    5. Open a command or terminal window and CD to your nbimg folder.
    6. Type in the following command: nbimg -F splash1.bmp -w 480 -h 800
    7. If successful, nbimg should have created an nb file called 'splash1.bmp.nb'.
    8. Rename 'splash1.bmp.nb' to 'splash1.img'.
    9. Boot your Desire into Bootloader and connect it to your computer
    10. Open een command or terminal window and browse to the Tools folder which should reside in your Android SDK folder when you unzipped it.
    11. Type in the following command: fastboot flash splash1 splash1.img
    12. The output should be something like this:
    Code:
    D:\Android\AndroidSDK\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot flash splash1 splash1.img
        sending 'splash1' (750 KB)... OKAY [  0.125s]
                 writing 'splash1'... OKAY [  0.218s]
    finished. total time: 0.343s

13. Reboot your Desire and enjoy your new splash screen.

Thanks to:
    * ieftm for S-OFF
    * All the others who made S-OFF possible
    * deficitism for the custom splash screen guide

REMEMBER: When you do follow this guide, you do it at your own risk. I do not, I repeat, DO NOT, take any responsibility when things go wrong. Feel free to submit any improvements whatsoever.

finally, the short version for (ubuntu) linux users:
    1. read through the thread for minimum-requirements, such as s-off etc. i don't know if the phone needs to be rooted and am to lazy to find it out (since mine already was anyway).
    2. download and install nbimg from http://pof.eslack.org/2008/07/03/nbimg-htc-splash-screen-tool/
    3. create your .img-file as described in the first posting in steps
    4. download fastboot.zip from the attachment of the following posting: http://www.pocketpc.ch/htc-desire-hd-root-rom/116448-anleitung-desire-hd-s-off-bootloader-flashen.html#post871105
    5. you also might want to decide in which folder you want to keep it on your computer as a "program". if you are unsure, your /home/%USER/ folder will do just fine. – ... btw. unless you are familiar with creating symbolic links on command line i advise you to abandon any second thoughts about this issue after this step.
    6. now open a terminal and type the following to "install" fastboot and make it easier to use later on command line (in fact just unzipping the fastboot archive and creating a symbolic link in /usr/bin/:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install unzip
      cd /path/to/where/you/are/storing/the/fastboot-zip-file/
      unzip fastboot.zip -d fastboot
      sudo ln -s fastboot/fastboot-linux /usr/bin/fastboot
    7. do NOT move the folder "fastboot" or the file "fastboot-linux" afterwards, or you will break the symbolic link in /usr/bin/
    8. keep the terminal open.
    9. now change to the directory where you saved your splash-image files (those with the .img extension you created earlier with the nbimg-tool):
      Code:
      cd /path/where/your/splash/files/are/stored/
    10. still keep the terminal open.
    11. now boot your phone into bootloader mode (htc desire: press "power" and "volume down")
    12. connect your phone to the computer and enable "FASTBOOT" mode in the bootloader (in my case, with clockworkmod, the line "FASTBOOT USB" in red uppercase letters appears on the screen, among other information shown)
    13. now change back to your terminal/command line tool and flash the splash image on the phone:
      Code:
      sudo fastboot flash splash1 name-of-your-splash-image-file.img
    14. voilà!
    in my case, i got a "waiting for device"-message, and sometimes those error some got (something with splash -1 ...). firstly i thought that was due to me using a 64-bit computer, a faulty fastboot executable and so on. finally i found out, that i simply needed super user rights to successfully flash the image :)
    intructions on changin logo uppdate

Do the exact same thins as described in the first post and be sure to do this things also:
    1. after making the iso file copy it in the tools folder of the android sdk instalation folder
    2. copy adb,AdbWinUsbApi and AdbWinApi . dll from the platofrm-tools folder to the tools folder of the adroid installation place.
    3. connect phone and test from terminal,command window if you see your phone with the command adb devices, you have to be in the tools folder to run this command.
    4.reboot your phone and press the back key or volume down to enter boot menu.
    5.enter fastboot menu
    6.flash the iso cr8ed with command provided in post 1.

Hope it's helpfull.
    my desire splash screen

Figured I'd share the love of my new splash screen with my fellow desire comrades. Preview below along with the PB99IMG.zip

Edit: Sorry guys didn't mean to lead anyone astray PB99IMG.zip attached is for CDMA desire only. Also added the full size 480x800 .bmp file as splash1.zip for non-CDMA Folks. :)

preview.png
    Have just replaced the splashscreen with the offer of a cash reward if the phone is returned undamaged to me.

Also put a warning on there that the phones precise location is being tracked via GPS and that the phones IMEI number will be blacklisted if not returned immediately.

Then all contact details given and an "It will be greatly appreciated - Thank You" at the bottom.

Its sensible and gives me a fighting chance of getting it back if its stolen or lost.

Looks quite professional too ;) Much more practical than a pair off tits greeting me everytime I switch it on.:eek:
    This might help someone.. :)

I don't have the SDK installed, moreover just extracted to a folder on my desktop. When I run fastboot it come up with a "AdbWinApi.dll" missing error. I just copied this file from \platform-tools to \tools and it worked fine... :D
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone