How to identify if an app is genuine or pirated

Search This thread

anilnc

Nov 2, 2010
Hi I'm new to android phone. When I bought my phone, the mobile store gave me some apps including paid for a deal price from dealers. But I found some apps having a prefix in their file name which on googling I found they are piracy developers. But many of other apps provided by them are already free apps from google play. But some are paid apps, for example, AVG mobile antivirus pro. The file is doesn't have any prefix. Is there any way to find if its genuine or not? Any tips regarding this is much appreciated.

Thanks
Anilnc

Honbrok

May 14, 2013
Hey

i have been trying to find out too but it seems there is not much attention given on piracy. You would find various copies of same software with changes in icon and stuff to dodge copyright

anilnc

Nov 2, 2010
I have sent an email to AVG team about this. Lets see what they say in order to identify if mine is genuine or not and hope some tips to find for other apps as well.

anilnc

Nov 2, 2010
It's not from other site, the mobile store gave them a deal price. I'm 90% sure it's pirated

WildfireDEV

May 1, 2013
It's not from other site, the mobile store gave them a deal price. I'm 90% sure it's pirated

If it's not from the play store it is most likely pirated and a another giveaway that the software is pirated is when you say that the mobile store gave them a deal price most mobile phone stores don't do this.

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 4 beta

Reactions: AndroSolider

anilnc

Nov 2, 2010
Yea that's why I got this doubt. I refused to pay him with a doubt but I believed when he said its a special dealer's offer. :(

qashqool

Dec 7, 2011
If it's not from the play store it is most likely pirated and a another giveaway that the software is pirated is when you say that the mobile store gave them a deal price most mobile phone stores don't do this.

Hi, for safety reasons I recommend that you use google play. Anyone who has an app knows that google play is the best showcase, if it isnt there, we have reason to suspect, that doesnt mean that all are necessarily pirates

D

Deleted member 3493119

The easiest way to check this is if the app is listed in Google Play as purchased, if it's not it may be pirated.

anilnc

Nov 2, 2010
The easiest way to check this is if the app is listed in Google Play as purchased, if it's not it may be pirated.

Yea I got same idea. And in google store it shows as purchased. It shows either open or uninstall buttons in the PlayStore. But the version number is different, yet it shows. But not in the installed apps location. I searched for the app in the google play, then the app in google play is not showing to install it, it shows to open button.

D

Deleted member 3493119

Yea I got same idea. And in google store it shows as purchased. It shows either open or uninstall buttons in the PlayStore. But the version number is different, yet it shows. But not in the installed apps location. I searched for the app in the google play, then the app in google play is not showing to install it, it shows to open button.

Then it's not a legit app, which are from Google Play, then it might be a illegal app. I suggest you to uninstall the apps then buy them if you want updates and support the dev.

Reactions: anilnc

anilnc

Nov 2, 2010
Hi, for safety reasons I recommend that you use google play. Anyone who has an app knows that google play is the best showcase, if it isnt there, we have reason to suspect, that doesnt mean that all are necessarily pirates

Yes I too doubt that maybe all are not pirates, but this app doesn't update to latest version as available in google play, yet it shows the open button instead of install or buy. I'm confused. Hope to get a reply from the AVG team soon.

anilnc

Nov 2, 2010
Hi,

I finally got a reply from AVG regarding the app how to check of its legit or not. I've pasted the mail below.

"We would like to inform you that if the software is not visible on "MyApps" list, then this will tell us that you did not purchased it from google store. To confirm that this is a valid application submitted to google play store, we can identify it by clicking on the "Open" button when you search the name of the application and you were able to open it, then this is a valid application. And if there is no update button, then this is an updated application."

The app not listed in my apps but after searching the app in google play, and clicking open button, it opens the app as AVG said, which means possibility of a valid app. But I am not able to update. They said the current version is 3.2.3 but my app is 3.0.3 with build number 998. I've attached a screenshot. If anyone can help it would be great. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371846525.965535.jpg

pdemarco

Mar 16, 2011
Google is trying to combat this. With the recent update to In-App Billing API V3, even free versions of software can have license checks to ensure the app came from the right place.

anilnc

Nov 2, 2010
I got another reply from AVG, in response to the app I submitted them to check the originality. They said the app I have submitted and installed is original and valid file. But as that file is maybe 6 months old, it cannot be updated. Hence recommended me to purchase the latest version of the app.

STRANGE.

But if I must buy, I feel for me, this app, AVG Mobile antivirus pro is way too high in price. It is 15$ and right now with 30% off with 11$. If anyone could recommend me of any less priced best anti virus app? I was thinking about Kaspersky anti virus for mobile at 5$.

WildfireDEV

May 1, 2013
I got another reply from AVG, in response to the app I submitted them to check the originality. They said the app I have submitted and installed is original and valid file. But as that file is maybe 6 months old, it cannot be updated. Hence recommended me to purchase the latest version of the app.

STRANGE.

But if I must buy, I feel for me, this app, AVG Mobile antivirus pro is way too high in price. It is 15$ and right now with 30% off with 11$. If anyone could recommend me of any less priced best anti virus app? I was thinking about Kaspersky anti virus for mobile at 5$.

Kasperksy is a good anti virus for the money. Another choice of mine would be Norton.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: AndroSolider

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

D
    Deleted member 3493119

Then it's not a legit app, which are from Google Play, then it might be a illegal app. I suggest you to uninstall the apps then buy them if you want updates and support the dev.

STRANGE.

Kasperksy is a good anti virus for the money. Another choice of mine would be Norton.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4