• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to identify which app is keeping my android awake

Search This thread

gancuimian

Sep 22, 2010
Hi, we already got a battery meter in android 4.2.2, and it can tell if something is keeping the phone awake.
For example, it shows that the "Android OS" is keep the system awake for 10 hours, but it can not tell me which app is holding some wake locks or wakes the phone frequently.
I also installed BetterBatteryStats, under Kernel Wakelock, it shows that the gps_lock is holding for 10 hours, but also not related to any app.

So how can I identify the app that I can blame for this?
Thank you.

Last edited:

Droid1063

Jul 4, 2013
Does anyone know what I did wrong why Im getting device not found when I boot up. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

misterk267

Jul 29, 2012
Erie, Pennsylvania
Hi, we already got a battery meter in android 4.2.2, and it can tell if something is keeping the phone awake.
For example, it shows that the "Android OS" is keep the system awake for 10 hours, but it can not tell me which app is holding some wake locks or wakes the phone frequently.
I also installed BetterBatteryStats, under Kernel Wakelock, it shows that the gps_lock is holding for 10 hours, but also not related to any app.

So how can I identify the app that I can blame for this?
Thank you.

I am by no means an expert, however I had a similar problem that was fixed by turning off location reporting or something like that under Google maps app settings. Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

gancuimian

Sep 22, 2010
I am by no means an expert, however I had a similar problem that was fixed by turning off location reporting or something like that under Google maps app settings. Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Actually I want to keep google location reporting. The problem does not occur very much, but it can kill my phone for just half day.
To some degree I believe that google's engineers are smart enough to avoid these kind of problems, so the culprit must be some app else.
And I really don't want to uninstall each app and see if the problem disappears, since the problem is not very common and may not be reproduced immediately.
A knowledgeable tool will be great if any such tool exists.

deV14nt

Jul 1, 2009
Usually partial wakelocks and alarms sections of BBS are more useful. Any gps-related apps causing either of those?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

gancuimian

Sep 22, 2010
Usually partial wakelocks and alarms sections of BBS are more useful. Any gps-related apps causing either of those?

My phone is not rooted, Alarms section shows nothing.
Almost every time when a kernel wakelock (not just gps) is being held, partial wakelock shows nothing unusual. For this time the top one in partial wakelock is google map or google location service (I don't remember exactly), but it only held for several minutes (compare to 10 hours of kernel wake lock holding).
I don't know if rooting my phone will make any difference.

Reactions: deV14nt

gancuimian

Sep 22, 2010
You can try gsam battery monitor too, it's pretty good.

Sent from my Evita

Thanks, seems that it gives more information. I just installed it and still got 10 hours of gps_lock without showing the app that caused it. In gps time, only google service and another map used for less than 4 minutes.
Maybe I will keep it running for days and see it can provide the information I wanted.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

My phone is not rooted, Alarms section shows nothing.
    Almost every time when a kernel wakelock (not just gps) is being held, partial wakelock shows nothing unusual. For this time the top one in partial wakelock is google map or google location service (I don't remember exactly), but it only held for several minutes (compare to 10 hours of kernel wake lock holding).
    I don't know if rooting my phone will make any difference.
    Wake Lock Detector is a pretty good app too.