• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[HOW TO] Install GAPPS without root

Search This thread

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
I posted how to get GAPPS working in the Fire HD 6&7 threads a few weeks ago and was informed it works on the HDX as well. This video will show you how you can install GAPPS on the Fire HD6, HD7 or HDX without root. All Google Apps should work excluding Google Search (Google search now works), Google Play Store, and Hangouts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHI7ED6pUPY

FireGapps.zip:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx_94ujbh0qoRndpejBZSnVMOGM/edit?usp=docslist_api

commands used in this video:
adb devices
adb shell
pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS

Help setting up adb for windows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyJlmTtLsIg

Sent from my KFARWI using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Grtschnk

Oct 9, 2013
Akwizgran
Is it just (lucky) me or does this fix also allow to verify app purchases via the Google license checker? Sideloaded my paid apps and they work! Don't know if this would also happen without GApps.

Nov 30, 2014
I posted how to get GAPPS working in the Fire HD 6&7 threads a few weeks ago and was informed it works on the HDX as well. This video will show you how you can install GAPPS on the Fire HD6, HD7 or HDX without root. All Google Apps should work excluding Google Search (Google search now works), Google Play Store, and Hangouts.

First off - thank you for this, saved me from having to root the device and gives me the functionality I was going to root for.

The only issue I'm having is that Gmail isn't syncing in the background. If I get new mail the Amazon email app notifies my in the shade straight away but Gmail won't. If I open Gmail I have to sync manually. I've checked in the Gmail app settings and it is set to sync and create notifications - any ideas? I thought one of the frameworks in your zip might need re-installing?

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

First off - thank you for this, saved me from having to root the device and gives me the functionality I was going to root for.

The only issue I'm having is that Gmail isn't syncing in the background. If I get new mail the Amazon email app notifies my in the shade straight away but Gmail won't. If I open Gmail I have to sync manually. I've checked in the Gmail app settings and it is set to sync and create notifications - any ideas? I thought one of the frameworks in your zip might need re-installing?

Scratch that, I uninstalled gmail, Google Play Services and Google Framework. Then I resinstalled the versions in your zip, ran the ADB command and hey presto notifications are working again. Either the updated version of play services that 1mobilemarket installed doesn't work or the ADB command needs running again after the update.

Working gmail notifications again :)

Nov 30, 2014

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

Scratch that, I uninstalled gmail, Google Play Services and Google Framework. Then I resinstalled the versions in your zip, ran the ADB command and hey presto notifications are working again. Either the updated version of play services that 1mobilemarket installed doesn't work or the ADB command needs running again after the update.

Working gmail notifications again :)

Spoke too soon, notifications seem to have died again (No software updates have been done)... investigating.

URBANsUNITED

Aug 9, 2010
Thanks for your post.

But is it only me or is the Play store not working?
Stuck at " No Connection - Retry" but I can't get it working :(

Fire OS 4.51 on HDFX 7

Maybe someone point me to a working way, please...

URBANsUNITED

yujikaido79

Oct 15, 2007
Hong Kong
Quoting from the original post "All Google Apps should work excluding Google Search (Google search now works), Google Play Store, and Hangouts." Google play store will not work without root. I plan to sync my apps to my dropbox in apk form and then use file manager with dropbox access to access them and install.

Thanks for your post.

Fire OS 4.51 on HDFX 7

URBANsUNITED

Nov 30, 2014
Thanks for your post.

Fire OS 4.51 on HDFX 7

URBANsUNITED

Unfortunately you won't get the Play store without root. This app collection only includes the play store apk as I think it's needed to sign into other GApps.

Amazon won't let the app revenue slip away from them that easily...! I've installed 1mobile market and that has a lot of the apps missing from the Amazon store.

I've not managed to fix the gmail notifications, are they working for others?

URBANsUNITED

Aug 9, 2010
Thanks for your answers.
I didn't listen to the video, I just watched and followed :D

Too bad that there isn't any other solution... What is really the problem? Is it hosts, DNS or what ever related?
Is there no way to adb into the HDX and make the necessary changes?

Cheers

URBANsUNITED

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
Thanks for your answers.
I didn't listen to the video, I just watched and followed :D

Too bad that there isn't any other solution... What is really the problem? Is it hosts, DNS or what ever related?
Is there no way to adb into the HDX and make the necessary changes?

Cheers

URBANsUNITED

I think some of the google services needs to be system apps which requires root

akarak

Dec 2, 2014
Works on the Fire TV

Thanks for this helpful HOWTO.
I used this on my Kindle Fire HDX 7 and also on my non-rooted Fire TV with the latest firmware and it worked.
You should post this HOWTO in the Fire TV section too.
Cheers

Grtschnk

Oct 9, 2013
Akwizgran
Why do you all need the Play Store so badly? For free apps the 1Mobile App-Store isn't that bad, there is a lot of crap but as long as you know what you are searching you have almost everything (check if the download is genuine though). And for paid apps: I can buy them with my rooted S2 in the Play Store and transfer them with an *.apk extractor to my Kindle.

(I hope this does not sound a warez-discussion, but regarding my earlier question: don't apps have some DRM or any other copy protection? I was amazed how easy it was to transfer the apps I bought - or is it because I have a somewhat Google Account on the Kindle?)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHI7ED6pUPY

FireGapps.zip:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx_94ujbh0qoRndpejBZSnVMOGM/edit?usp=docslist_api

commands used in this video:
    adb devices
    adb shell
    pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS

Help setting up adb for windows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyJlmTtLsIg

After goofing around with this stuff for hours I've gotten my Google stuff mostly working on my Kindle.
    I am using a Fire HDX 8.9 (4th Genration), which is also known as Saturn.
    It is running Fire OS 4.5.2, which of course there is no root for yet.
    I used APK Mirror as the source for a lot of the APKs I collected together, but also pulled the framework and contacts manager out of the most recent PA 0day GApps package for KitKat.
    A weird thing I found in testing stuff out: even though it does not actually allow you to browse the Play store, you MUST install the Play store to get a lot of applications to sync, like Gmail, Chrome, and Drive.
    The APKs I am using are as follows:
    Google Play Store 5.1.11 - APK Filename: com.android.vending-5.1.11-80310011-minAPI9.apk
    Google Play Services 6.6.3 (1681564-036) - APK Filename: com.google.android.gms-6.6.03_(1681564-036)-6603036-minAPI9.apk
    Google Account Manager 4.4.4-1227136 - APK Filename: GoogleLoginService.apk
    Google Services Framework 4.4.4-1227136 - APK Filename: GoogleServicesFramework.apk

After installing these 4 "core" apps, you will need to execute the command pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS
    You can do this in an adb shell or in a Terminal emulator on the device itself, they do the same thing.
    If you're a n00b, a guide to setting up adb is here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2544410
    If you run Windows, the easiest way to get a working ADB shell is using the ADB Minimal Install package from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790
    You will need the drivers from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2544410
    Just like with other Android builds, the Developer options are hidden by default. You need to go to Settings>Device Options and then tap on the Serial Number like 9 times. You should see a notification that Developer options have been unlocked.
    Then you can go to Settings>Developer Options to enable ADB.
    Oh and while I'm talking about settings, if you go to Settings>Applications>Manage All Applications you will have the standard Android "Force Stop", "Clear Data", and "uninstall" buttons for all install apps, even those that don't show up in your drawer.

Because it was a lot of work to download and test all the apps, I've opted to collect everything together and stash it in my Google Drive.
    The file "KindleHDX-GoogleApps.zip" has "everything" in a single 325 MB ZIP, all the APKs that I have tested against the current version of FireOS and found to work. You need to install all 4 APKs from the "required" folder, and then you can install anything else from the main folder and it should work fine.

The file "GoogleCoreAPKs.zip" is a 26.3 MB ZIP file that contains the 4 APKs you must install to get the Google framework up and running in general. You could just download that and then selectively download other APKs out of the "Google & 3rd Party APKs" folder if you want.

I've included the free version of TeslaCoil's NovaLauncher home screen replacement and also a file browser called Solid Explorer. Both are very handy with the Kindle.
    Solid Explorer is nice because it shows the icons for any APKs in the folder you're currently looking at, making it easier to selectively install apps.
    Also included in there is virtually every current Google app that is actually working on Fire OS.

Notable things that are missing:
    No "Location Services" functionality works. This prevents the location-based functionality in Google Now from working but is most noticable in Google Maps.
    Google Maps will install and run on this device, but the text display is completely messed up, and I don't consider it a viable app to use with this solution.
    Google Earth actually works fine, aside from not being able to give you a "You Are Here" indicator.
    Android Device Manager is totally broken on this OS.
    Google Clock will not install at all.
    The Google Play Music Search (aka Google "Ears") can be installed but is totally nonfunctional, so I have not included it. Pretty sure it must be able to tap into the Play media library resources to have something to match against, which is why its broken and will probably never work without root.
    I tested 4 different versions of Hangouts. None of them will do anything other than take you to a "Signing in" indicator that just spins forever.
    I also tested 3 different versions of Google Wallet, none of which would do anything but launch to an "This app needs to be updated" prompt.

Surprisingly enough, pretty much everything else is working.
    If your Google account is protected with 2 Factor Authentication, you need to set up an "App Specific Password" to use with this setup, which can be done here: https://security.google.com/settings/security/apppasswords

Gmail is fully functional.
    Camera worked for me for both video and picture snaps and backup to the cloud as normal.
    GooglePlus is fully functional and appears to be a nice simple way to get contacts sync to work.
    All parts of Google Drive appear to be fully functional.
    Google Now functionality comes from the "com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-4.1.24.1672412.arm-300401240-minAPI16.apk" APK.
    Voice search is working 100%! You will want to make sure you don't have your volume turned all the way up, as the Google Now sound effects distort the speakers if you have volume @ 100%
    This works well with the Google Now Launcher (com.google.android.launcher-1.1.1.1516623-101010-minAPI16.apk) but you can also enable the "always listening" mode for OK Google in Nova Launcher (com.teslacoilsw.launcher-33000.apk)
    If you want Google to be able to talk back at you (when answering your questions), install com.google.android.tts-3.3.13.1635260.arm-210303130-minAPI15.apk

Once you have installed one or more new "Home" apps, pressing the Home button will get you the "what application do you wish to use?" prompt every single time.
    To stop this from happening and disable the stock Home app, run the command pm block com.amazon.kindle.otter in ADB shell or a Terminal Emulator.

I had to roll back like one version to get video playback working in YouTube, but it is fully functional with the included APK.

The only issue I'm still not able to fix (and which may not be solvable) is that paid-for applications are hit-or-miss.
    My beloved Switfkey keyboard is 100% functional, as is MXPlayer Pro, and my SolidExplorer Unlocker.apk.
    However, Plague Inc, Nova Launcher Prime, ComicRack, Hue Disco, and some other "licensed" applications will not validate on this setup, which makes sense given the missing components.
    I'm not sure if "pirated" versions of paid apps will work or not, I have not tested them.

The link to the publicly-viewable folder on my Google Drive is: https://drive.google.com/folderview...JMaW5QQW9jUy12b2JfdjBfcWJJRXJyOFU&usp=sharing
    Enjoy, and hit the Thanks button if you want to :p
    OK, I downloaded and tested different versions of google play service apk from apkmirror. version 6.5.94 seems to work fine. Gmail, Chrome, chromecast, drive, play games, play store, google+, google search, youtube all work.
    If I following this link https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx_94ujbh0qoUmtBNzBjMV95eHc/view?usp=sharing, it lets me download the zip file. The zip file has the same size and checksum as the zip file I downloaded before. Also, all the apk files in it has timestamp of 2014-11-08 or earlier.
    Try this one https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx_94ujbh0qoRndpejBZSnVMOGM/edit?usp=docslist_api
    Why do so many people not see that the play store does NOT work. I state it in the video, the thread, and the YouTube description but a few people send me a message every day about it lol