[HOW-TO] Install Google Play Store (Fire OS 5.X) (No Root/PC/ADB)

Search This thread

kmx05

Dec 11, 2016
Los Angeles
Thanks !! :) , I'll Let you know how it turned out , Oh one last question which Minimum Version & Screen DPI should i download for the kindle fire HD 8 ?? im looking at the link you sent me for Google Play services and there are several ones but i don't know which one to get

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
thanks !! :) , i'll let you know how it turned out , oh one last question which minimum version & screen dpi should i download for the kindle fire hd 8 ?? Im looking at the link you sent me for google play services and there are several ones but i don't know which one to get
hd8 ppi = 189

zoonotes

Jan 22, 2017
installing issues

I have downloaded the 4 APKs mentioned, but what is the procedere to install them?:confused:

I have a6th Gen. Fire HD 8 running OS 5.3.2.1 and I have tried the above instructions after 1st trying other instructions which didn't tell you that you had to download a file manager. Regardless, I have downloaded the 4 APK files but I can't install anything. I tried both ES File Explorer File Manager and OI File Manager but I can't install either of them. It's like my install button is pure decoration. What do I do?

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I have a6th Gen. Fire HD 8 running OS 5.3.2.1 and I have tried the above instructions after 1st trying other instructions which didn't tell you that you had to download a file manager. Regardless, I have downloaded the 4 APK files but I can't install anything. I tried both ES File Explorer File Manager and OI File Manager but I can't install either of them. It's like my install button is pure decoration. What do I do?
ES file manager has become junkware at best, don't use it
Probably need to factory reset and start over

Reactions: DB126

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
To further this ES File Explorer includes a 'download manager' (cough...) that continuously runs in background and appears to interfere with some installs. Experienced this personally. Won't go so far as to claim blocks are intentional but clearly the unnecessary/umcommanded 'service' is getting in the way.

Parent company ES Strong was sold to another entity in 2015. Things have been going down hill ever since. Look elsewhere.

JaylanPHNX

Nov 16, 2010
This is incorrect (not the part about ES Explorer, it is crap). No need to reset, just reboot after changing the setting to allow third party app installs so that the setting will take effect.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
This is incorrect (not the part about ES Explorer, it is crap). No need to reset, just reboot after changing the setting to allow third party app installs so that the setting will take effect.
For clarity ES File Explorer should also be uninstalled. There are reports of installation weirdness continuing even after the above setting was changed and device rebooted. Removing ESFE supposedly curred the problem. Can't verify those reports by I can confirm ES File Explorer interferes with various downloads/installs including automatic updates to XDA Labs. As for the necessity of a 'factory reset' I certainly understand the guidance as one never knows what path the device has traveled (especially if rooted) prior to attempts to install the Play Store. At minimum it should be considered a reasonable fall back if other steps fail to resolve the problem.

jclu52

Mar 25, 2013
First, thanks to OP, I successfully installed Google Play on my new Fire tablet.

I also have the same tab, and I updated it to the latest OS 5.3.2.0 while I was following the instruction in 1st thread to download the APKs.

I upload the APK to my OneDrive. I installed OneDrive from Amazon App Store (free). I also download Total Commander from Amazon App Store. I then download the 4 APKs from OneDrive to my Fire tab. Open Total Commander to locate the downloaded APKs. click on 1st APK (com.google.android.gsf.login_5.1-1743759-22_minAPI21(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk), 2 options - Install / Open as ZIP. I choose Install, the tablet asked me to turn on "Install from Unknown Source" and took me there. I did that and install the rest three other APKs in the following order.

Please note the order have changed a bit. 2 and 3 needs to be swapped
  1. com.google.android.gsf_5.1-1743759-22_minAPI22(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk
  2. com.google.android.gms_10.2.91_(240-144333517)-10291240_minAPI21(arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk
  3. com.android.vending_7.4.12.L-all_0_PR_144479971-80741200_minAPI14(240,320,480dpi)_apkmirror.com.apk
Once it's done, I fire up Google Play and it prompts me to Login. I clicked on a few yes and Google Play store is there.

Hope it works for you.

Last edited:

zoonotes

Jan 22, 2017
Thanks, you have come the closest to helping me but I keep running in to the same problem. I can't install Google Account Manager -the 1st APK of the 4 APKs. I already have my tablet on enable apps from unknown sources so I don't think that's the problem.
I followed your instructions, clicked "Install" on Total Commander and that took me to the Google Account Manager page which has "Cancel" and "Next" at the bottom and after "Next" is "Install" but every time I click it nothing happens. I can't skip Google Account Manager either b/c then I get a message about the package being parsed up or something. Sorry, I had to cut up your answer b/c I'm a newcomer.

I also have the same tab, and I updated it to the latest OS 5.3.2.0 while I was following the instruction in 1st thread to download the APKs.

I upload the APK . I installed OneDrive from Amazon App Store (free). I also download Total Commander from Amazon App Store. I then download the 4 APKs from OneDrive to my Fire tab. Open Total Commander to locate the downloaded APKs. click 2 options - Install / Open as ZIP. I choose Install, the tablet asked me to turn on "Install from Unknown Source" and took me there. I did that and install the rest three other APKs in the following order.
v7a)

Hope it works for you.[/QUOTE]

llo

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Thanks, you have come the closest to helping me but I keep running in to the same problem. I can't install Google Account Manager -the 1st APK of the 4 APKs. I already have my tablet on enable apps from unknown sources so I don't think that's the problem.
I followed your instructions, clicked "Install" on Total Commander and that took me to the Google Account Manager page which has "Cancel" and "Next" at the bottom and after "Next" is "Install" but every time I click it nothing happens. I can't skip Google Account Manager either b/c then I get a message about the package being parsed up or something. Sorry, I had to cut up your answer b/c I'm a newcomer.

I upload the APK . I installed OneDrive from Amazon App Store (free). I also download Total Commander from Amazon App Store. I then download the 4 APKs from OneDrive to my Fire tab. Open Total Commander to locate the downloaded APKs. click 2 options - Install / Open as ZIP. I choose Install, the tablet asked me to turn on "Install from Unknown Source" and took me there. I did that and install the rest three other APKs in the following order.
v7a)

Hope it works for you.

llo
did you install ES File explorer?
if so that is the likely culprit.
if you uninstalled ES and still cannot install, try factory reset

Sent from my sailfish using XDA Labs

Last edited:

zoonotes

Jan 22, 2017
Hey jclu,

Just read your post again and I may have messed up more than I thought. You said you uploaded the APK to One Drive. This is where I need some help. I have the 4 APKs downloaded in Docs-->Local Storage which is what the initial, simplest directions I found told me to do before things got complicated . I don't know how to move them to OneDrive. I see where the directions on OneDrive say "Upload" but I can't seem to upload from Docs. So how do I get the APKs out of Docs and into OneDrive or am I suppose to somehow put them in OneDrive in the first place? Also, all my 4 APK file numbers aren't completely identical to yours for some reason. I have the same Google Account Manager APK and Google Play Services APK, but I'm not sure Services Framework (couldn't really tell) and Google Play Store had the same exact file download numbers and I'm pretty sure I clicked on the most updated version. Why would we have different numbers? I may have to cut out your post again b/c of the newcomer thing--sorry about that

Thanks!

I upload the APK to my ]. I installed OneDrive from Amazon App Store (free). I also download Total Commander from Amazon App Store. I then download the 4 APKs from OneDrive to my Fire tab. Open Total Commander to locate the downloaded APKs. click on 1st APK I choose Install, the tablet asked me to turn on "Install from Unknown Source" and took me there. I did that and install the rest three other APKs in the following order.
[L

Once it's done, I fire up Google Play and it prompts me to Login. I clicked on a few yes and Google Play store is there.

Hope it works for you.[/QUOTE]

jclu52

Mar 25, 2013
I forgot to mention that I downloaded the newest version of the APK. When you click on the OP (1st thread)'s link of each APK, the 3rd (Google Play Services) & 4th (Google Play Store) tells you there is a newer version. I used the newer version. For the 3rd & 4th, , .

If you download the APKs to your tablet, there is no need to upload & download from OneDrive. Just find them on your tablet's "Download" folder.
To find your download folder from Total Commander, it's the 3rd or 4th item if you installed a SD card.

If you download them to your Windows 10 PC, you can upload them to your OneDrive by dragging the files and drop them into One Drive.

Use the following steps to install APK.
  1. In Totoal Commander, click the file (not the left column which only select the file).
  2. Click on Install. The other option (OPEN AS ZIP) is of no use to install the APK.
  3. Fire tab shows you two options: Cancel & Next. Continue to click on the Next on the right to show more permission. Then click on INSTALL when you see it.
  4. Do the same for all four.

Hey jclu,

Just read your post again and I may have messed up more than I thought. You said you uploaded the APK to One Drive. This is where I need some help. I have the 4 APKs downloaded in Docs-->Local Storage which is what the initial, simplest directions I found told me to do before things got complicated . I don't know how to move them to OneDrive. I see where the directions on OneDrive say "Upload" but I can't seem to upload from Docs. So how do I get the APKs out of Docs and into OneDrive or am I suppose to somehow put them in OneDrive in the first place? Also, all my 4 APK file numbers aren't completely identical to yours for some reason. I have the same Google Account Manager APK and Google Play Services APK, but I'm not sure Services Framework (couldn't really tell) and Google Play Store had the same exact file download numbers and I'm pretty sure I clicked on the most updated version. Why would we have different numbers? I may have to cut out your post again b/c of the newcomer thing--sorry about that

Thanks!

I upload the APK to my ]. I installed OneDrive from Amazon App Store (free). I also download Total Commander from Amazon App Store. I then download the 4 APKs from OneDrive to my Fire tab. Open Total Commander to locate the downloaded APKs. click on 1st APK I choose Install, the tablet asked me to turn on "Install from Unknown Source" and took me there. I did that and install the rest three other APKs in the following order.
[L

Hope it works for you.

dixonge

Jun 6, 2016
I take no credit for this, I'm just simply creating a quick and simple post (mainly for ease and future reference for myself) to get the Google Play Store installed on the latest (as of posting) Fire OS 5.3.1.1 with no root or ADB required.
This was all done on a 6th Gen. Amazon Fire HD 8 device running Fire OS 5.3.1.1.

Thanks so much! Hopefully this will keep the wife happy until the 5.3.2.1 root hits...

skullbob

Feb 2, 2017
i downloaded and installed the 4apks or their updated version. when i get to the goog!e play store the next button and the install button will not work. i can scroll down but nothing happens. the install button is highlighted not greyed out. i tried installing the alternative version but when i try to install it says there was a parse error. so i cannot get the play store instal!ed

update: read earlier in thread about issues with es explorer. uninstalled es explorer and then installed total commander. then successdully installed play store and all works great now!

Last edited:
Reactions: DB126

eldoonmad

Feb 3, 2017
Does anyone know why I might not be able to install the API? It opens and I see the screen that shows what the application will have access to. However, when I tap "Install" nothing happens. I can only click "Cancel". I have made sure that "Apps from Unknown Sources" is turned on. Also my Fire has over 10Gb of available is update to the latest version.

Also, I tried the previous posters suggestion and used Total Commander. I still have the same problem.

Last edited:

JaylanPHNX

Nov 16, 2010
Does anyone know why I might not be able to install the API? It opens and I see the screen that shows what the application will have access to. However, when I tap "Install" nothing happens. I can only click "Cancel". I have made sure that "Apps from Unknown Sources" is turned on. Also my Fire has over 10Gb of available is update to the latest version.

Also, I tried the previous posters suggestion and used Total Commander. I still have the same problem.
You need to reboot after changing the unknown sources setting.

eldoonmad

Feb 3, 2017
Perfect, that worked!!
Now I am having a different issue. I was able to install all four packages on one Fire and get the app store going. I've been downloading apps no problem. However, I did it on my mom's Fire, which is the exact same model and OS version, purchased at the same time as mine. I can install the four packages and get the app store but any apps I try to download just say "Download Pending". Any ideas?

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Perfect, that worked!!
Now I am having a different issue. I was able to install all four packages on one Fire and get the app store going. I've been downloading apps no problem. However, I did it on my mom's Fire, which is the exact same model and OS version, purchased at the same time as mine. I can install the four packages and get the app store but any apps I try to download just say "Download Pending". Any ideas?
This is often related to a mismatch between Google components installed on
the device. Try uninstalling the four packages, reboot, then reinstall. The Play Store will likely try to update itself shortly after installation.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This's just a quick guide on how to get the Google Play Store installed on the latest Fire OS 5 for Amazon Fire tablets with no Root, PC or ADB required.

This should work on any Amazon Fire tablet released from 2014 onwards (4th Generation and above) that's running Fire OS 5.X.

NOTE (1): To install the required APKs, you may need a file manager from the Amazon Appstore, I used TOTAL COMMANDER - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H4IHJ8M/

With later versions of Fire OS or SILK, you can just tap the download notifications as and when you download the APKs or use SILKs download manager, removing the need for the above file manager.

NOTE (2): You'll also need to enable 'Apps from Unknown Sources' found under Settings > Security of the Fire OS.

Now simply download the 4 APK files below using the stock web browser, SILK and install them in that same order, then POWER OFF and RESTART your tablet and afterwards open up the Google Play Store and log in with your Google account:

1. Google Account Manager 5.1-1743759
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...unt-manager-5-1-1743759-android-apk-download/

2. Google Services Framework 5.1-1743759
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...s-framework-5-1-1743759-android-apk-download/

3. Google Play Services 11.5.09 (230-164803921)
    https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/googl...s-11-5-09-230-164803921-android-apk-download/

4. Google Play Store 8.3.41.U-all [0] [FP] 170066753
    https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/googl...41-u-all-0-fp-170066753-android-apk-download/

In future, the Google Play Store and Google Play Services apps will auto update themselves in the background.
    I've had success on two 6th gens running 5.3.2 and would like to offer some tips to all who are having issues:

Firstly, you should install items in the following order for best success:
    1. Google Services Framework
    a. Use the latest version for API 22 (original post link is correct)

2. Google Play Services (latest version works fine)
    a. Be sure you are installing the correct download. 6th gen Fire HD 8's run on a v8 arm processor and the 240 builds are the correct for this architecture. The HD 10's (5th gen) and all 5th gens are built on a v7 arm and should use 230 builds.

3. Google Account Manager
    a. Use the latest version for API 22 (original post link is correct)

4. Google Play Store
    a. Use the latest version for API 22 (min 14 is typical and OK)

If you have attempted to reinstall per the above and that didn't work, you may have to resort to factory reset the device.

TL,DR:

Versions I installed:
    #1. 5.1-1743759
    #2. 10.0.84_(240-137749526)-1008424
    #3. 5.1-1743759
    #4. 7.1.25.I-all_0_PR_137772785-80712500

Cheers & Good Luck!
    I have downloaded the 4 APKs mentioned, but what is the procedere to install them?:confused:
    use a file manager to open/install them
    try es file manager or root browser both are available at akp mirror

Sent from my XT1254 using XDA Labs

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

download the apps, when complete you can tap on the notification, you will have an option to install
    be sure to allow unknown sources in settings before downloading apps

Sent from my XT1254 using XDA Labs

Edit: stay away from ES File Manager, it was sold, and new owners have packed it full of junkware
    there are several other great file managers
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/neatbytes/solid-explorer-beta/
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/jrummy-apps-inc/root-browser/
    among others
    It works but I don't see the play store app nor any apps I install using the play store. The only way for me to open play store or apps installed with play store is to search using the search bar. Is there any way to get the apps along with play store to show on the main screen?
    I learned more about this problem with the fire launcher. I think it may have to do with the fact that they changed its name? I went to settings, apps and games, All, Home Pages. That's the fire launcher. I cleared its cache and data and force stopped. I'm not sure if all of those were necessary. Now apps can be installed from either the play store or the Amazon app store, and they will show on the fire launcher home screen.

You need to reboot after changing the unknown sources setting.