How to Install Google Play Store

Search This thread

Android Cowboy

Jan 17, 2012
androidcowboy.com
Now that we have root I've been able to test and verify that Google Play Store can be installed. So far I'd had no issues. Obviously you'll need root access first which I've put links below.

Rooting tutorial: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2544965
Rooting video: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2546117

1. Download the following zip file which includes all the required files (KFHDX_PlayStore).
2. Install Google Account manager, Services Framework, and Play Services (it is not necessary to install as system app).
3. Reboot
4. Install Vending.apk in "system/app" (requires to make "/system" RW) then open up the app and log-in with you account.
5. Install Google Play Store

Even though Play Store can be installed with account, downloading of apps are not working. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Faznx92

Nov 18, 2013
Now that we have root I've been able to test and verify that Google Play Store can be installed. So far I'd had no issues. Obviously you'll need root access first which I've put links below.

1. Download the following zip file which includes all the required files (KFHDX_PlayStore).
2. Install Google Account manager, Services Framework, and Play Services (it is not necessary to install as system app).
3. Reboot
4. Install Vending.apk in "system/app" (requires to make "/system" RW) then open up the app and log-in with you account.

Now enjoy your super Amazon tablet.

What are the versions? Also I'm going to link to this in my rooting tutorial. Did you confirm this?

Last edited:

Android Cowboy

Jan 17, 2012
androidcowboy.com
What are the versions? Also I'm going to link to this in my rooting tutorial, is that cool. Did you confirm this?

Yes, Play Store is working fine and now shows up in my Play Store setting account. Versions are as follows:
Account manager: 4.03
Services Framework: 4.04
Play Services: 4.034

Only Account Manager and Framework require the older version. Play Services always works on KF with latest version. Also Play Store is latest version as well.

Reactions: Faznx92

zahir32

Jan 17, 2011
No Connection

Did you add your Google account after installing Vending.apk app or after latest Play Store.

Well, after adding vending.apk manually to System/app, I installed it and tried to set up my account. I hit Existing Account and put in my details. I got as far as the white loading screen, but it stuck there. In between, I kept getting that force close message about the Gapps process.

Android Cowboy

Jan 17, 2012
androidcowboy.com
Well, after adding vending.apk manually to System/app, I installed it and tried to set up my account. I hit Existing Account and put in my details. I got as far as the white loading screen, but it stuck there. In between, I kept getting that force close message about the Gapps process.

That's fine. Vending app never work after I added my account. Just update to latest Play Store right away after and it'll be fine.

zahir32

Jan 17, 2011
Still No Luck

That's fine. Vending app never work after I added my account. Just update to latest Play Store right away after and it'll be fine.

After installing the latest PLaystore, following your sequence carefully, the app says No Connection when I try to open it. Also the force close message about the Gapps process pops up as soon as I boot up the tablet now.

I do have an internet connection, tested with my Browser.:confused::confused:

randomhkkid

Jul 4, 2011

Hey, thanks for everything you're doing. When I open up vending apk once i've moved it to system/app i agree to the terms of services and then it crashes. If install and open again it just crashes after a couple of seconds.

When I went to open the playstore it worked for about 30 seconds and then it crashed (I did notice my account was logged in). Now when I open it, it crashes straight back to the homescreen.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2012
Tried that, but problem persists. App still says No Connection.:(

It finally works. I copied all apks to the system/app. Then installed them not fromy system/app but from phone internal storage and it works. Thanks android cowboy.
Edit : it shows all apps, but FCs when i try to download anything..

Last edited:

kiddo12345

Nov 28, 2013
Video?

Is it possible for you to make a video of this? The only reason I got my device rooted was because of your videos.

3. Reboot

Faznx92

Nov 18, 2013

3. Reboot

After I copy Vending.apk in "system/app", install it, then open it, Services Framework and com.google.process.gapps starts stoping but Vending.apk is still running. I enter my account info but gets stuck on a loading screen but I can look at settings. If I try to look at My apps in setting "A server error has occurred." I closed vending and rebooted. Then I installed Google Play Store and opened it but it says No connection. (It is not Iptables causing the conflict.)

Android Cowboy

Jan 17, 2012
androidcowboy.com
Is it possible for you to make a video of this? The only reason I got my device rooted was because of your videos.

I will make a video soon but it's basically the same as the KF HD so you can check that video for now. I would suggest for everyone that is having trouble to make sure you remove all sideloaded Google apps if you had installed them. I had some issues before when I tried to re-install some Google apps after removing my account. I began with a fresh start that had no sideloaded apps. So far I'd had no issues with FC, or messages. I know people suggest installing all apps in system/app but if I prefer to keep system app installation to a minimum. If it doesn't require it then I don't do it. That was the case with old KF HD and I had no issues and I will do the same on the KF HDX.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google playstore not working

Sent from my Spice Mi-496 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

It will work. Just gotta be patient. I have gotten everything working, however, it is causing a bootloop as soon as the device is restarted. There are more things that need to be edited & added. This is one of the reasons I have not updated my Play Store thread, where people are asking how I did it. I am not in a position to support everyone that has issues & to be honest, being end of the year at the office, I hardly have any free time, so it's all about spending the time on what needs to be done, in my eyes,
    which is to have Play Store AND Amazon services, not an occasionally working Play Store that kills Amazon.

2013-11-30%2011.18.35.png
    2013-11-30%2011.18.49.png

2013-11-30%2011.18.06.png

IMG_20131126_054738.jpg
    IMG_20131126_054808.jpg
    I think I have figured out what is going on. It is a combination of things on both Amazon's & Google's side. While I have not worked out the specifics, I am pretty sure I have been able to gather everything I'll need to get things working finally (via grep/logcat/etc). I will probably have time to pour through everything & start testing mods (still have to recompile a few apps & a framework file) next week some time.

Once I finish it up, I think I can talk Stericson (Busybox Pro) into lending a hand in creating an APK (similar to his Kindle Free App) to make things nice & easy. I am pretty confident that we'll get this working. *****One a side note, please don't go try the Kindle Free app right now. You MAY lose download capability from several browsers & from the Amazon App Store (even app updates) & unless you know what you are doing, or someone else can help you, I can offer no assistance in the immediate future.

3. Reboot

Even though Play Store can be installed with account, downloading of apps are not working. Stay tuned.
    I got it working this way:

1- Install Google Account manager, Services Framework, and Play Services using "adb install"
    2- reboot
    3- copy the vending apk (i used root explorer) to system/app, change permissions over this file to read/write/execute and then run it, log in with your account and let it be in the white loading screen (doesnt matter after it took your credentials).
    4- copy Google Play Store to internal sdcard and install the apk

So far, i got hangouts (with video call and all), youtube and google play music.
    Havent installed much more cause i am looking where to side-load some other apps.

Thank you very much for the guide @Android Cowboy !!
    How is your replacement going ? got it yet ?
    That has to do with the fact that the download manager is non-standard. I tried replacing it with the standard one, which disables the amazon store; however, while it did not fix the problem, downloads start and then it crashes due to a different problem.

I am working on getting a modified DL Mgr to re-compile. I also have found that replacing the AMZ app store with the one for other Android tablets fixes issue & allows you to remove the intent proxy. *HOWEVER, please, PLEASE, do not try just swapping out the apk in the system folder. It may cause a bootloop for you as I have made numerous modifications to my device. Some system partition changes can cause a bootloop & loss of ADB. I am only posting this info for those brave enough, smart enough or STUPID enough (like me) to mess with things that may put you out a few hundred dollars.

Just look, when I got my HDX, there was NOTHING but a pulled kernel essentially & that was only a few weeks ago. Already we have root & SafeStrap recovery & a few users (that are FAR from the brightest of developers; again like myself) have gotten Play Store to work to varying degrees. Considering this is NOT a popular device for developers, YET... we have come a long way & fairly quickly. Sooner or later, everyone will find a piece of the puzzle & post it somewhere, where somebody will see what each of us is missing & combine that into working EVERYTHING, which will make for a BADA$$ tab!