• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

How to install Gsi on S20 fe 5G (HavocOS,PixelExperience+,Aosp,Lineage and more!!!)

Search This thread

ROM_gamer987

Aug 8, 2020
First You Need an unlocked bootloader there are many guides to unlock the bootloader on Samsung devices I recommend this one Unlock Guide

Once you have an unlocked bootloader we can proceed

1: Flash Twrp if you don't have it already: Snapdragon Twrp Or Exynos Twrp Download The Twrp For your device Model And Also Download Vbmeta Disabled, Reboot Into Download Mode By Pressing Volume Up And Volume Down When Booting The device
Download Odin and Samsung Drivers On your Computer Odin And Samsung Drivers
After You have Odin And Samsung Drivers, Open Odin and On the AP Section Select The Twrp You downloaded And On the Userdata Section Select The Vbmeta Disabled You Downloaded , GO TO OPTIONS AND DISABLE AUTO REBOOT!!!, Press The Start Button and once it Finishes, You Should Press The Power Button And Volume Down And When It Starts To Reboot Press The Volume UP And Power Button If you Did it right you Should Boot Into Twrp

2:
On Twrp Go to Wipe > Format Data > Type Yes (This will WIPE ALL DATA ON THE DEVICE!!!)
Then Go to Reboot > Recovery
After It reboots Go to Reboot > Fastboot
Download Adb On your Computer Adb Download And extract it into a folder, Then Press Shift On your Keyboard And Right Click At the same time Select The "Open Command Prompt Here" Option, You should see A command Prompt

Now You need To Download The Gsi You want to flash, (You can Find Many Gsi In the s20 fe Gsi's Group Here) Or you can Also Check Treble Gsi's Group

(Roms Based on Older PHH Patches than v303 Will not work)

Once You have the Gsi you want to flash Copy it into the adb folder And Also RENAME THE FILE to sys.img

Now On the Command Prompt You can Run > fastboot flash system sys.img
(If You Cant Get Your Drivers Working i recommend Trying ubuntu Because it has Drivers Pre Installed)
If you Dont get any errors then you are Good :) Reboot your device and you should see the gsi is installed

Fixing Rounded Corners:
Reboot Into Twrp And Open Adb On your computer
Download The Overlay and place it in the adb folder
Run ( adb shell mount /dev/block/dm-1 /vendor )
Then Run ( adb shell rm /vendor/overlay/framework-res__auto_generated_rro_vendor.apk )
Then ( adb push treble-overlay-samsung-rq8.apk /vendor/overlay )

Bootloop Problems:

You may have a bootloop If you are using A newer Vendor
This Was Tested On the one Ui 3.0 Vendor I Recommend Downgrading to 3.0 Vendor If you can
!!! I am not sure if its working on one UI 3.1 Vendor !!!
(Vendor is the one UI version you have)

Magisk:
To flash magisk you need some special Instructions, !!!Without them flashing magisk will result in a bootloop!!!
They are a bit complicated and you can find them Here (I don't recommend Using Magisk With Gsi's)

Issues?
Current issues are: 60fps Video Recording, Fingerprint Sensor And MTP
Fingerprint Might be fixed On android 12!!!

IF YOU ENCOUNTER PROBLEMS JOIN THE S20 FE HELP GROUP Here

(THIS WAS ALL TESTED ON SNAPDRAGON I AM NOT SURE IF IT WORKS ON EXYNOS)

Last edited:

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
I haven't clicked to look but is the magisk for GSIs that thing where you have to reboot from recovery to activate root ?
I suppose if it is the phone still wouldn't pass SafetyNet would it ?

ROM_gamer987

Aug 8, 2020
I haven't clicked to look but is the magisk for GSIs that thing where you have to reboot from recovery to activate root ?
no, you can fix magisk but its a bit hard, And yes you can pass safetynet with magisk, Some roms like pe+ Can pass safetynet without it tho

Reactions: 3mel

Kolyei

Jul 11, 2016
If only the fingerprint sensor worked on GSI ROMS. I would have definitely went for it.
S20 FE 5G rooted on android 11 (one ui 3.0)

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
If only the fingerprint sensor worked on GSI ROMS. I would have definitely went for it.
S20 FE 5G rooted on android 11 (one ui 3.0)
that's down to Samsung doing the bare minimum to qualify for treble compatibility, same as the vendor layers of most OEMs. only Sony went the extra mile to actually make sure their hardware would work apparently.

Doomer231

Jan 2, 2017
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
that's down to Samsung doing the bare minimum to qualify for treble compatibility, same as the vendor layers of most OEMs. only Sony went the extra mile to actually make sure their hardware would work apparently.
Not really, it has been confirmed that android 12 will add official support for underscreen scanners, so GSI devs aren't wasting any time on fixing FOD.

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
Not really, it has been confirmed that android 12 will add official support for underscreen scanners, so GSI devs aren't wasting any time on fixing FOD.
any hardware OEMs add has supposed to have been functional for the last 3 years. they control their vendor layers which should work seamlessly with the OS layer. I'm paraphrasing the xda page that introduces treble and Phhuson.
OEMs have little interest in making treble work as it does nothing for them (they think). if google support was the reason 60fps would work for video recording but it doesn't.

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
QUESTION for the GSI users out there...

do you have any of the screen juddering while trying to scroll or touch screen dead spots that occasionally happen ? any ghost touch issues, I suppose with the caveat of if you had them before ?

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
are you using a 3rd party launcher ? navigation gestures are or were supposedly broken on 3rd party launchers regardless of which rom you're running.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First You Need an unlocked bootloader there are many guides to unlock the bootloader on Samsung devices I recommend this one Unlock Guide

Once you have an unlocked bootloader we can proceed

1: Flash Twrp if you don't have it already: Snapdragon Twrp Or Exynos Twrp Download The Twrp For your device Model And Also Download Vbmeta Disabled, Reboot Into Download Mode By Pressing Volume Up And Volume Down When Booting The device
    Download Odin and Samsung Drivers On your Computer Odin And Samsung Drivers
    After You have Odin And Samsung Drivers, Open Odin and On the AP Section Select The Twrp You downloaded And On the Userdata Section Select The Vbmeta Disabled You Downloaded , GO TO OPTIONS AND DISABLE AUTO REBOOT!!!, Press The Start Button and once it Finishes, You Should Press The Power Button And Volume Down And When It Starts To Reboot Press The Volume UP And Power Button If you Did it right you Should Boot Into Twrp

2:
    On Twrp Go to Wipe > Format Data > Type Yes (This will WIPE ALL DATA ON THE DEVICE!!!)
    Then Go to Reboot > Recovery
    After It reboots Go to Reboot > Fastboot
    Download Adb On your Computer Adb Download And extract it into a folder, Then Press Shift On your Keyboard And Right Click At the same time Select The "Open Command Prompt Here" Option, You should see A command Prompt

Now You need To Download The Gsi You want to flash, (You can Find Many Gsi In the s20 fe Gsi's Group Here) Or you can Also Check Treble Gsi's Group

(Roms Based on Older PHH Patches than v303 Will not work)

Once You have the Gsi you want to flash Copy it into the adb folder And Also RENAME THE FILE to sys.img

Now On the Command Prompt You can Run > fastboot flash system sys.img
    (If You Cant Get Your Drivers Working i recommend Trying ubuntu Because it has Drivers Pre Installed)
    If you Dont get any errors then you are Good :) Reboot your device and you should see the gsi is installed

Fixing Rounded Corners:
    Reboot Into Twrp And Open Adb On your computer
    Download The Overlay and place it in the adb folder
    Run ( adb shell mount /dev/block/dm-1 /vendor )
    Then Run ( adb shell rm /vendor/overlay/framework-res__auto_generated_rro_vendor.apk )
    Then ( adb push treble-overlay-samsung-rq8.apk /vendor/overlay )

Bootloop Problems:

You may have a bootloop If you are using A newer Vendor
    This Was Tested On the one Ui 3.0 Vendor I Recommend Downgrading to 3.0 Vendor If you can
    !!! I am not sure if its working on one UI 3.1 Vendor !!!
    (Vendor is the one UI version you have)

Magisk:
    To flash magisk you need some special Instructions, !!!Without them flashing magisk will result in a bootloop!!!
    They are a bit complicated and you can find them Here (I don't recommend Using Magisk With Gsi's)

Issues?
    Current issues are: 60fps Video Recording, Fingerprint Sensor And MTP
    Fingerprint Might be fixed On android 12!!!

IF YOU ENCOUNTER PROBLEMS JOIN THE S20 FE HELP GROUP Here

(THIS WAS ALL TESTED ON SNAPDRAGON I AM NOT SURE IF IT WORKS ON EXYNOS)
    no, you can fix magisk but its a bit hard, And yes you can pass safetynet with magisk, Some roms like pe+ Can pass safetynet without it tho