How To Guide How to install microG on stock ROM.

Search This thread
I hope you already know this, but
If you brick your device it's your fault!

Not checked in Self-Check:
Fake Play Store (May work fine)

As far as I know, it doesn't work on Paranoid Android (Signature spoofing not working)
  1. Install stock ROM and finish setup (Skip everything etc.) (Had to redo everything cause I didnt finish it. Could not get rid of the notification)
  2. Flash Magisk
  3. In Magisk go to settings (top right icon) and enable 'Zygisk' option
  4. Then in Magisk go to Modules tab, click top button 'Install from storage' install LSPosed-(...)-zygisk-release.zip (has to be zygisk version)
  5. Install FakeGapps.apk like regular app
  6. Reboot
  7. Popup will came out that ask you to add shortcut icon to desktop for LSPosed, just add it and open it
  8. Go to Modules and enable FakeGApps
  9. Uninstall Google apps like gms via Universal Android Debloater (Every app has a description)
  10. Go to Magisk and install microG_Installer_Revived.zip as a Module
  11. Reboot
  12. Open microG Service Core and ensure all boxes are selected. The most important is signature spoofing - this is what LSPosed and FakeGapps is for.
    1. For working push notifications go to microG Service Core app and enable Google devices registration and Cloud Messaging.
    2. For working location at least two apps will be needed - MozillaNlpBackend and NominatimNlpBackend. After installing they need to be enabled in microG Service Core app (Location modules). Sometimes MozillaNlpBackend refuse to be enabled, then you just have to go to it's permissions and select "Allow all the time" for location permission.
    3. For working SafetyNet additional Magisk module may be needed.
    4. SMS and Location in background didn't work for me, reinstalled the microG installer module and it worked

To uninstall google apps I used Universal Android Debloater. To find out the id's I used App Inspector.

If you have any improvements let me know.

Thanks to:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MicroG/comments/wev56n/_/iirvvfu

Last edited:
Replacements needed (what I use)
!name => important
?name => want better alternative (foss)
%name => not f-droid

!Keyboard (FlorisBoard)
!Browser (Fennec)
!App store (NeoStore (aka FDroid) and Aurora Store)

Calculator (Simple Calculator)
Camera (Open Camera, Nothing's Camera)
Notes (Carnet)
Calendar (Etar)
Files (Material Files)
Weather (Geometric Weather)
Cloud (Nextcloud) Contact, Calendar and Todo sync via DAVx5
Mail (Tutanota)
SMS (Signal)
Maps (OsmAnd~)

?Contacts (Simple Contacts)
?Phone (Nothing yet)

App Id's of apps I uninstalled safely:
com.android.chrome (Chrome)
com.android.vending (Play Store)
com.google.android.apps.docs (Google Drive)
com.google.android.apps.maps (Google Maps)
com.google.android.apps.nbu.files (Google Files)
com.google.android.apps.photos (Google Photos)
com.google.android.apps.restore (Restore Tools)
com.google.android.apps.tachyon (Duo)
com.google.android.apps.turbo (Device Health Service)
com.google.android.apps.wellbeing (Digital Wellbeing)
com.google.android.apps.youtube.music (Youtube Music)
com.google.android.calculator (Calculator)
com.google.android.calendar (Google Calandar)
com.google.android.contacts (Contacts)
com.google.android.deskclock (Clock)
com.google.android.gm (Google Mail)
com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox (Google)
com.google.android.inputmethod.latin (GBoard)
com.google.android.keep (Keep Notes)
com.google.android.projection.gearhead (Android Car)
com.google.android.videos (Google Tv)
com.google.android.youtube (Youtube)

Last edited:

Zwijam_Dywan

Feb 17, 2014
I'm thinking of buying Nothing's phone, but the only thing that keeps me away are google apps. Custom roms seem to be still in newborn age so I would like to stay with original, NothingOS.
Ive been running devices without google apps for years and it was benefit a lot battery life and privacy. I dont miss google and surly dont want to go back to it.

If I remove all google apps with Universal Android Debloater, will the phone work just fine without those apps? I dont want microG to be installed.

I'm thinking of buying Nothing's phone, but the only thing that keeps me away are google apps. Custom roms seem to be still in newborn age so I would like to stay with original, NothingOS.
Ive been running devices without google apps for years and it was benefit a lot battery life and privacy. I dont miss google and surly dont want to go back to it.

If I remove all google apps with Universal Android Debloater, will the phone work just fine without those apps? I dont want microG to be installed.
Sry I havent tried that and my phone is now in a state were I dont want to factory reset it till a microg rom comes out. Still Im very curios why you dont want to install microG

Zwijam_Dywan

Feb 17, 2014
Sry I havent tried that and my phone is now in a state were I dont want to factory reset it till a microg rom comes out. Still Im very curios why you dont want to install microG
I do not have any specific reason to not install it. I had microg on /e/ rom previously on my oneplus 6t and it was just fine. I am running now oneplus 6t on lineage os without gapps and microG and it works absolutely fine. I just dont feel like I need it really. Thats all.

SelfRef

Aug 6, 2022
This guide is very similar to what I wrote on Redd... haha, I wasn't expecting that, thanks for mentioning me :)

I might add that this method is a little more secure than using ROM with signature spoothing + installing microG manually because FakeGapps allows to spoof signature for microG only, no other apps. Also all changes can be just disabled either by uninstalling Magisk or disabling modules in Safe Mode in case of issues.

And of course there is nothing specific in this method for Nothing Phone, I successfully use it on my other devices with stock ROMs or LineageOS.

gonococcus

Apr 18, 2020
Nothing Phone 1
  1. Install stock ROM and finish setup (Skip everything etc.) (Had to redo everything cause I didnt finish it. Could not get rid of the notification)
  2. Flash Magisk
  4. Then in Magisk go to Modules tab, click top button 'Install from storage' install LSPosed-(...)-zygisk-release.zip (has to be zygisk version)
  6. Reboot
  7. Popup will came out that ask you to add shortcut icon to desktop for LSPosed, just add it and open it
  9. Go to Magisk and install microG_Installer_Revived.zip as a Module
  10. Reboot
  11. Open microG Service Core and ensure all boxes are selected. The most important is signature spoofing - this is what LSPosed and FakeGapps is for.
    1. For working push notifications go to microG Service Core app and enable Google devices registration and Cloud Messaging.
    2. For working location at least two apps will be needed - MozillaNlpBackend and NominatimNlpBackend. After installing they need to be enabled in microG Service Core app (Location modules). Sometimes MozillaNlpBackend refuse to be enabled, then you just have to go to it's permissions and select "Allow all the time" for location permission.
    4. SMS and Location in background didn't work for me, reinstalled the microG installer module and it worked

To uninstall google apps I used Universal Android Debloater. To find out the id's I used App Inspector.

Instructions unclear. At what step should Google Play packages be removed and which exact packages belong to Play services(I've seen second post, but it's more about end-user apps)?

Following current instructions gives an error while installing microG_installer_revived, smth about duplicate permission that is already owned by com.google.android.gsf, don't have phone with me now, and microg core services crashing non-stop after reboot.

emdikay

Jun 15, 2020
Is full nonsense a Rom where already GAPPS are installed try to install microg that can not work.

I disagree, it is reasonable to want to benefit from the features and optimizations of the stock ROM.
Especially while no custom ROM is able to take fully advantage of the Glyph interface at the moment.

Although it is a hit or miss without knowing the exact level of coupling of the ROM with Gapps, it is possible to install microG.
Given that Nothing OS offers an experience very close to vanilla Android, I believe that removing Gapps will not create any major issues.

I think that the problem that @gonococcus is facing is due to the fact that Gapps are not properly uninstalled from the ROM.
Using Universal System Debloater will simply uninstall the selected apps for the current user instead of removing them completely from the ROM.

Here is my version of @The_Toady's guide:
  1. Do a factory reset.
  2. Complete the initial setup without connecting to the Internet and without adding any Google account.
    This will prevent Gapps from updating or installing more apps.
  3. Root your phone by flashing the latest version of Magisk.
  4. Uninstall Gapps:
    1. Create a file named 'SystemlessDebloaterList.sh' under /storage/emulated/0/Download and add the following text:
      Code:
      DebloatList="
      GmsCore
      GoogleServicesFramework
      Phonesky
      "
      Notice that this is the minimum list of apps that must be uninstalled for a successful microG installation.
      If you want to further debloat your phone, you can add more apps in the list acoording to the module's instructions.
    2. Install the latest version of Systemless Debloater as a Magisk module.
    3. Reboot.
  5. Enable signature spoofing:
    1. Enable Zygisk in Magisk's settings.
    2. Install the latest Zygisk release of LSPosed as a Magisk module.
    3. Install the FakeGapps app.
    4. Reboot.
    5. Add the shortcut icon of LSPosed to your home-screen and open it.
    6. Enable the FakeGApps LSPosed module.
    7. Reboot.
  6. Install the latest version of the microG Installer Revived as a Magisk module and reboot.
The above guide worked flawlessly for me on both 1.1.7 and 1.5-beta versions of Nothing OS.

I was even able to install OTAs manually with reasonable effort.
If you are interested I will write a guide about it soon.

Last edited:

emdikay

Jun 15, 2020
Sorry no interest as I have my own Rom with microG .

The current post is a guide on how to install microG on stock ROM.
My response tries to enable users do exactly this.

Without bells and whistles with this LSPosed and I do not know .

I agree with you, a custom ROM that comes in vanilla version and takes fully advantage of the device's hardware is much preferable.

Which also intervenes much too deep into the system.

This is up to you, e.g., the FakeGapps module is enabling signature spoofing only for microG and not system-wide.

Last edited:
Reactions: gonococcus

gonococcus

Apr 18, 2020
Nothing Phone 1
I think that the problem that @gonococcus is facing is due to the fact that Gapps are not properly uninstalled from the ROM.

Hey, thanks for very detailed explanation! (and merry Christmas)

I think my problem occurred due to either not removing original gapps or not leaving them intact. I found github issue at microg-installer-revived repo describing same problem and the author was asking if the person removed original gapps, so I got the impression that maybe I should've left them intact before installing magisk module.

My problem was solved by installing first 3.0.0 and then updating to 3.1.0 on top of it, which also supports my theory that microg-installer-revived should be applied on top of existing gapps/microg.

Anyway, in the end I gave up on microg at this point of time. I'm upgrading from my older phone which uses Lineage for microg. It doesn't work ideally, but I managed ok for last few years, but with microg-installer-revived package some apps that use Maps API are crashing straight away(at least few of them used to work, others would crash on both phones). My guess is they might be packaging different versions/dev branches of microg so the magisk version lags behind. For the time being I've uninstalled much of google stuff and will wait for NP1 ecosystem mature a bit more, hopefully getting Lineage for microg distro at some point. I'll keep an eye on microg in case there are some major updates.

This guide is very similar to what I wrote on Redd... haha, I wasn't expecting that, thanks for mentioning me :)

I might add that this method is a little more secure than using ROM with signature spoothing + installing microG manually because FakeGapps allows to spoof signature for microG only, no other apps. Also all changes can be just disabled either by uninstalling Magisk or disabling modules in Safe Mode in case of issues.

And of course there is nothing specific in this method for Nothing Phone, I successfully use it on my other devices with stock ROMs or LineageOS.
Yeah it really helped me and just "reposted' it here to make it easier to find. So big thanks.

Reactions: SelfRef
Use this Rom because microg is preinstalled.
If there was a good ROM with microG installed (or even anything when I created that post) I would have used it, but I want stuff like Fingerprint and NFC (I have a yubikey) and still dont want to use google. My Solution rn is e/OS/ on a S9 because I'm waiting for a good rom. This guide is for people like me, where this is the "best" solution

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I hope you already know this, but
    If you brick your device it's your fault!

Not checked in Self-Check:
    Fake Play Store (May work fine)

As far as I know, it doesn't work on Paranoid Android (Signature spoofing not working)
    2. Flash Magisk
    6. Reboot
    9. Uninstall Google apps like gms via Universal Android Debloater (Every app has a description)
    10. Go to Magisk and install microG_Installer_Revived.zip as a Module
    11. Reboot
    12. Open microG Service Core and ensure all boxes are selected. The most important is signature spoofing - this is what LSPosed and FakeGapps is for.

If you have any improvements let me know.

Thanks to:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MicroG/comments/wev56n/_/iirvvfu
    Replacements needed (what I use)
    !name => important
    ?name => want better alternative (foss)
    %name => not f-droid

!Keyboard (FlorisBoard)
    !Browser (Fennec)
    !App store (NeoStore (aka FDroid) and Aurora Store)

Calculator (Simple Calculator)
    Camera (Open Camera, Nothing's Camera)
    Notes (Carnet)
    Calendar (Etar)
    Files (Material Files)
    Weather (Geometric Weather)
    Cloud (Nextcloud) Contact, Calendar and Todo sync via DAVx5
    Mail (Tutanota)
    SMS (Signal)
    Maps (OsmAnd~)

?Contacts (Simple Contacts)
    ?Phone (Nothing yet)

App Id's of apps I uninstalled safely:
    com.android.chrome (Chrome)
    com.android.vending (Play Store)
    com.google.android.apps.docs (Google Drive)
    com.google.android.apps.maps (Google Maps)
    com.google.android.apps.nbu.files (Google Files)
    com.google.android.apps.photos (Google Photos)
    com.google.android.apps.restore (Restore Tools)
    com.google.android.apps.tachyon (Duo)
    com.google.android.apps.turbo (Device Health Service)
    com.google.android.apps.wellbeing (Digital Wellbeing)
    com.google.android.apps.youtube.music (Youtube Music)
    com.google.android.calculator (Calculator)
    com.google.android.calendar (Google Calandar)
    com.google.android.contacts (Contacts)
    com.google.android.deskclock (Clock)
    com.google.android.gm (Google Mail)
    com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox (Google)
    com.google.android.inputmethod.latin (GBoard)
    com.google.android.keep (Keep Notes)
    com.google.android.projection.gearhead (Android Car)
    com.google.android.videos (Google Tv)
    com.google.android.youtube (Youtube)
    Is full nonsense a Rom where already GAPPS are installed try to install microg that can not work.

I disagree, it is reasonable to want to benefit from the features and optimizations of the stock ROM.
    Especially while no custom ROM is able to take fully advantage of the Glyph interface at the moment.

Although it is a hit or miss without knowing the exact level of coupling of the ROM with Gapps, it is possible to install microG.
    Given that Nothing OS offers an experience very close to vanilla Android, I believe that removing Gapps will not create any major issues.

Using Universal System Debloater will simply uninstall the selected apps for the current user instead of removing them completely from the ROM.

Here is my version of @The_Toady's guide:
    1. Do a factory reset.
    2. Complete the initial setup without connecting to the Internet and without adding any Google account.
      This will prevent Gapps from updating or installing more apps.
    3. Root your phone by flashing the latest version of Magisk.
    4. Uninstall Gapps:
      1. Create a file named 'SystemlessDebloaterList.sh' under /storage/emulated/0/Download and add the following text:
        Code:
        DebloatList="
        GmsCore
        GoogleServicesFramework
        Phonesky
        "
        Notice that this is the minimum list of apps that must be uninstalled for a successful microG installation.
        If you want to further debloat your phone, you can add more apps in the list acoording to the module's instructions.
      2. Install the latest version of Systemless Debloater as a Magisk module.
      3. Reboot.
    5. Enable signature spoofing:
      1. Enable Zygisk in Magisk's settings.
      2. Install the latest Zygisk release of LSPosed as a Magisk module.
      3. Install the FakeGapps app.
      4. Reboot.
      5. Add the shortcut icon of LSPosed to your home-screen and open it.
      6. Enable the FakeGApps LSPosed module.
      7. Reboot.
    6. Install the latest version of the microG Installer Revived as a Magisk module and reboot.
    The above guide worked flawlessly for me on both 1.1.7 and 1.5-beta versions of Nothing OS.

I was even able to install OTAs manually with reasonable effort.
    If you are interested I will write a guide about it soon.
    Thanks buddy. You are not a lover of Google too ?
    I like to play around with IT stuff and privacy is important to me. Also I dont want a Google calculator xD
    Sorry no interest as I have my own Rom with microG .

The current post is a guide on how to install microG on stock ROM.
    My response tries to enable users do exactly this.

Without bells and whistles with this LSPosed and I do not know .

I agree with you, a custom ROM that comes in vanilla version and takes fully advantage of the device's hardware is much preferable.

Which also intervenes much too deep into the system.

This is up to you, e.g., the FakeGapps module is enabling signature spoofing only for microG and not system-wide.