[How-To] Install Oreo OTA! [T-Mobile]

Search This thread

breakerfall

May 7, 2006
Here goes...

I got a new Z2 from tmobile which was running Oreo out of the box. I unlocked the bootloader and flashed Magisk. I got the update message and tried to take the update, which failed. I did a complete remove from Magisk manager and tried the update again, which failed.

Because I'm an idiot I decided to flash back to stock (planning to then take the update), but I f'd up and flashed the retail Oreo image (instead of tmo) which left me with a nice clean system devoid of T-mobile bloat but also devoid of T-mobile service. Through some frantic flashing of the files in this thread and associated bootloops, crying, etc, I'm now running a stable system based on the retail image and the modem file from the Oreo ota.

Is there any chance I'll ever get back to "software status: official" or whatever the good one is?

DsturbD

Feb 27, 2012
Kannapolis, NC
Here goes...

I got a new Z2 from tmobile which was running Oreo out of the box. I unlocked the bootloader and flashed Magisk. I got the update message and tried to take the update, which failed. I did a complete remove from Magisk manager and tried the update again, which failed.

Because I'm an idiot I decided to flash back to stock (planning to then take the update), but I f'd up and flashed the retail Oreo image (instead of tmo) which left me with a nice clean system devoid of T-mobile bloat but also devoid of T-mobile service. Through some frantic flashing of the files in this thread and associated bootloops, crying, etc, I'm now running a stable system based on the retail image and the modem file from the Oreo ota.

Is there any chance I'll ever get back to "software status: official" or whatever the good one is?

You can't take the ota if you have twrp installed and if you unlocked the bootloader it will never be official. You can grab the tmo Oreo flashall

tainvst

Nov 12, 2011
Google Pixel 5
Messed this thing all up. Was working then I think I re-flashed the wrong file. Now no baseband is detected when in fastboot. When it does boot up the setup wizard is stuck because it doesn't see any cell service or wifi. So I cannot get passed this part of the setup wizard. I have tried to reflash some other stock images i have found but they all result. Either unable to find partition error when flashing or back at the setup wizard stuck looking for wifi or cell service but appearing not to be activated in the ROM.

breakerfall

May 7, 2006
You can't take the ota if you have twrp installed and if you unlocked the bootloader it will never be official. You can grab the tmo Oreo flashall

Never installed TWRP, only booted to the img then flashed the magisk zip file. Magisk was the only modification from the shipped Oreo and even after removing it via Magisk Manager, the new ota still wouldn't install.

Are you saying that the tmo Oreo flashall (from this thread?) will bring me back to stock tmo oreo and then I _should_ be able to take the ota?

Thanks!

DsturbD

Feb 27, 2012
Kannapolis, NC
Never installed TWRP, only booted to the img then flashed the magisk zip file. Magisk was the only modification from the shipped Oreo and even after removing it via Magisk Manager, the new ota still wouldn't install.

Are you saying that the tmo Oreo flashall (from this thread?) will bring me back to stock tmo oreo and then I _should_ be able to take the ota?

Thanks!

you "should" yes, but i havent gotten it to install either

gigawatt

Nov 19, 2008
boy, I hope some extracts the payload.bin file inside of the ota or makes a flashall or we get a full firmware from motorola, because my bass band is screwed. I am totally blind, so if I am in boot loader, can some count the clicks and power combos and send them to me so I can try it in adb sideload, any other suggestions, is there an open rom with this same new ota bass band.

droidgreg

Jun 11, 2011
boy, I hope some extracts the payload.bin file inside of the ota or makes a flashall or we get a full firmware from motorola, because my bass band is screwed. I am totally blind, so if I am in boot loader, can some count the clicks and power combos and send them to me so I can try it in adb sideload, any other suggestions, is there an open rom with this same new ota bass band.

https://we.tl/utoeKIP3J3

payload.bin extracted from the 27.1 OTA as requested

gigawatt

Nov 19, 2008
thanks, but I mean actually extract the contents of the payload.bin to see what is updated in the ota

gigawatt

Nov 19, 2008
I thank you for that, but is this the february ota payload.bin you extracted or what is the source of this file please.

gigawatt

Nov 19, 2008
Also to add to this thread, bought a second z2 force from t-mobile as well, and I switched slots from a to b after the update and they all are the same it seems like, don't see .oat or .odex files, anyone want to chime in, and how can we tell now if we're booting from a or b and where are the .odex or .oat files

chaos_000

May 24, 2012
I actually received my phone 3 today ago and it came with oreo and I think it preforms awesome. I have know ideal of the mess the user is referring to. I also rooted with this guide and managed to soft brick my phone with substratum then used the oreo flash all to get back to stock.

Perhaps if it comes from the factory with a fresh oreo 8 it works better? who knows... glad its working for you, i got so sick of it i asked tmobile for a warranty replacement, sent me a refurbed still with 7.1 and i will never update it!

capnloo

Apr 22, 2011
oreo flashall brought me back but no wifi or service any advice? fixed now

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *DON'T FLASH BACK TO NOUGAT IF YOU ENJOY USING YOUR PHONE*
    Ok guys ive made my return and im happy to bring the oreo ota with me.!

Steps to install if your on a rom.
    1. Use this flash all link Here
    2. After finished and setup your going to need a pc and sideload knowledge
    3. Download these ota files
    Latest August https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OhWZPTWcuo7zRu9bjiezjKEZxreOk6v7/view OREO
    4. Get your phone into recovery mode.
    4.a the file is gonna have a lot of letters please do not rename or it wont work
    4.b before you get into recovery you will see a dead Android. This IS normal. Your going to want to hold power and push volume up. It's a split second kinda thing. Not something you guys forever. Hot that a few times if it doesn't work the first time.
    5 your going to want to go to in recovery to apply update via adb for the August one
    6. run the command adb sideload (now drag the file to the command prompt and press enter)
    7 if all good you will see a verifiying update the step 1/2 when you see that your fine.
    8 Let it do its thing and at the end you may see and error about a drive disregard that.
    9 now follow steps 4-7 again but with Oreo ota
    10 reboot your system and now you should have oreo!

If your stock locked and never been cocked you can try to install the same method above without using the flash all and if it works congrats if not unlock your bootloader and use the method above.

if any help is needed contact me @ joemossjr16@gmail.com

HOW TO ROOT
    1. DOWNLOAD THIS. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zz3Fl9m4-_ozWW1U3ww_e6K_cHPPEMSv/view?usp=drivesdk
    2. FASTBOOT BOOT OR FLASH IT RUNNING "FASTBOOT BOOT /PATH/TO/BOOT.IMG" OR FASTBOOT FLASH /PATH/TO/BOOT.IMG
    3. REBOOT AND PROFIT.

TWRP 3.2.1-0 Bootable and Permanent
    Bootable Fastboot boot this *ONLY FOR OREO*
    *Permanent is broken* Use boot able

Unencryption for oreo
    Encryption Remover *FOR OREO ONLY*
    *Must format then flash*

OREO FLASH ALL OREO *YOU CAN ONLY FLASH THIS AFTER YOU HAVE TAKEN THE OTA* *IF YOU FLASH THIS AND YOU HAVENT AND YOUR PHONE BLOWS UP PLEASE VIDEO IT SO I CAN POST IT ON HERE AND SHOW WHAT NOT TO DO*

Thank to @XirXes for the ota files
    OP's instructions have a few gaps so:

The following assumes you've already unlocked bootloader and rooted, if you haven't follow this thread

This will erase all app data and internal memory, backup anything you don't want to lose first

Getting Started:
    1. Download the following
    2. Boot into Fastboot - power down then press Power+VolDown for 2-3 seconds
    3. Install Flashall Zip
      • Extract Zip file
      • Open Command Prompt and change directory to extracted folder
      • Run Flashall batch file
    4. Boot to recovery
      • Boot to fastboot (Step 2)
      • Use Volume buttons to find the "Recovery" option then press the Power Button
      • You should see a dead Android
      • Press Power for 3 seconds then without letting go of Power press VolUp for another 3 seconds
      • Release both Power and VolUp
      • This make take a few attempts
      • Select "Install from adb"
    5. Installing First and Second
      • Move file First and Second to the Flashall folder
      • Open Command Prompt and change directory to the Flashall folder
      • run
        Code:
        adb sideload First
      • Once completed reboot then repeat Step 4
      • run
        Code:
        adb sideload Second
    6. Reboot and enjoy Oreo!

To root:
    1. Download Magisk root and move file to the Flashall folder
    2. Boot into Fastboot - power down then press Power+VolDown for 2-3 seconds
    3. Open Command Prompt and change directory to the Flashall folder
    4. run
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot magiskoreo.img
    5. Reboot
    6. Install Magisk Manager - Download link

Bootable TWRP, use if needed. DO NOT flash this to boot
    TWRP 3.2.1-0 Bootable - Oreo Only
    From fastboot run
    Code:
    fastboot boot BootableTWRP.img

I didn't use the following so I'm leaving them as is from the OP
    Unencryption for oreo
    Encryption Remover *FOR OREO ONLY*
    *Must format then flash*

OREO FLASH ALL OREO *YOU CAN ONLY FLASH THIS AFTER YOU HAVE TAKEN THE OTA* *IF YOU FLASH THIS AND YOU HAVENT AND YOUR PHONE BLOWS UP PLEASE VIDEO IT SO I CAN POST IT ON HERE AND SHOW WHAT NOT TO DO*

Thank to @XirXes for the ota files and @joemossjr for the OP
    Flash all has been added and you have been warned
    Added rooted magisk boot image
    There is no root available as of yet we need a boot image to get root once there is one we will have roms and root coming.