How to install the Android Market on the Zen Touch 2

Search This thread

ryan49ryan

May 2, 2011
Installing the android market on the Zen Touch 2

All files needed are included in the zip that can be downloaded from the attachment.
Just unzip it to your Zen's SD card.

I got this method to work after messing around with my Zen for most of the night. The steps are what I think made the whole thing work out, but I may have done something else that caused this to work. If you can't get this to work PLEASE post a reply and I will post the whole process that I went through.

1. Install "z4root.1.3.0.apk".

2. Open Z4root and click permanent root, it will take a bit to complete, then it will restart your Zen.

3. Now install "Root Explorer 2.16.apk".

4. Copy the "com.android.vending-1.apk" to your SD card.

5. In Root Explorer the file "com.android.vending-1.apk" and long press it, select copy then navigate to the root directory by pressing the back button until you see a single "/" as the directory at the top under the notifications bar.Then navigate to /system/app, then at the top there should be a button that says "Mount R/W", press it and it should now say Mount R/O, now tap paste at the bottom.

6. Click on the "com.android.vending-1.apk" and tap install. Once it is installed DO NOT OPEN/RUN IT!

7. Restart your Zen and then wait for everything to load up.

8. There should now be an icon for the market in the app drawer. Open it and you should be prompted to add your Google account, type in your Gmail address and password, YouTube or any other Google service you have an account for.

9. You now should have the working android market on you zen touch 2!

Attachments

• apps_required.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 2,775

el_bazzerker

Oct 10, 2011
tried it

hi Ryan, thanks for the post. Unfortuneatly it didn t work for me :(. The android market was installed, but when I try to start it, the app asks me if i want to add an account to the device. When i tap "yes" the program just closes. When i tap "no" the same thing happens...any idea what i could do??

Malte

ryan49ryan

May 2, 2011
Try This

Hi Malte
Try going to Settings > accounts & sync Settings, then try and add your google account. Then restart your Zen. If that doesn't work try the steps that were added as reply's in this thread I started on this forum: anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?p=577788#post577788 . Reply back here if this doesn't work.

Ryan

Last edited:
hi,
thanks for your job!
but, I have zen touch 2 with android 2.2.1
the exploit don't work (no error, rebbot ok, but no root in root explorer) and unable to copy com.android.vending-1.apk in /system/app/
And, in my surprise, I'm not possible to connect with simple "adb shell'
To usb disk, ok, but not adb! Is normal?

Sorry for my english.
Remi.

arito

Oct 11, 2008
HELP PLEASE!!!! Need a Update.zip file

Hi, I bought a Zen Touch 2 and try to get android market on it, now my device is stock on initial configuration process, I tought I can fix it with an Update.zip file, can some body help me please?

robmartin519

Jun 27, 2012
A little light at the end of a dark tunnel

Hope this is the right place to post this. Today is february 21, 2013 as of 11:00 pm est time today, I have market working on a rooted creative zen touch 2, the non gps edition.

Note, I have firmware 2.2.1

What I did:
1) Seeing as how I managed to install market before, but it crashed, I first made sure that all instances of market were uninstalled
2) Backed up all apps with titanium or your favorite backup program
3) Downloaded GoogleServicesFramework.apk (see attatched)
4) copy the googleservicesframework.apk to /system/app let it install
5) Did a factory reset of the zen touch 2 with out wipping the cache
6) restored my backed up apps and verrified that the google services was installed, and I also setup the google account by going into settings- accounts and sync and tapped add account.
7) go into applications under settings, and tap unknown sources
8) once that was done, I nstalled
9) After making sure the com.android.vending-1.apk was in the /system/app directory, I installed it and reboot the touch
10)I downloaded google play version 3.9.17 (see attatched)
11) rebooted the touch, and prayed to the android gods, and launched it. No errorr, no crash, I even managed to install go launcher ex

If you follow this along with the one above, there is no reason why you can't have the android market on a creative zen touch 2 android device. Hope this helps.