[How-To] Install Windows on Android version [YB1-X90L/F]

Search This thread

Poz1

Jan 29, 2017
Milan
www.poz1.com
Hello guys!
I'm starting this thread as I managed to install win10 on my X90L (Android) YogaBook :)

It was not easy to find a way to fix the ACPI error but it is possible!
Will update this post in a few hours with a guide on how to do it yourself.

UPDATE: link to the guide -> poz1.com/windows-on-android-lenovo-yogabook/

PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOU CONTINUE YOU WILL END UP WITH A YOGABOOK WITHOUT INPUT DEVICES!!!
(EXTERNAL KEYBOARD WILL BE NEEDED) AND NO ANDROID INSTALL!!!​

So far i got almost everything working except:
- Touchscreen
- Keyboard
- Webcam in the keyboard panel (the other one works fine)
- NFC
- Backlight Control (added 25/5/2018)

I'm getting very near to have the touch and the keyboard working though :)

P.s. In attach you find the outputs from 3DMark - IceStorm Extreme (default settings), would be much appreciated if someone with the real Win version shared its score :D

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 4,438
Last edited:

Broomfundel

May 22, 2010
Thanks for posting this. I am really so impressed. Will be trashing my X90F tomorrow. Just got to dig out a powered USB hub. Ill report back, and lets see what happens.

(Hopefully not a brick)

Broomfundel

May 22, 2010
OK,
So far so good. I get to the amending of the of aml. But keep getting.

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL+ Optimizing Compiler/Disassembler version 20180508
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2018 Intel Corporation

iASL: Segmentation Fault
iASL: Terminating

To clarify the process. Decompile the DSTDroid.aml, then insert the OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0x7B3CF000, 0x0369)
Field (GNVS, AnyAcc, Lock, Preserve)
{ etc.. } section from the DSTDroid.dsl and use it to replace the equivalent section in the DSTWin.dsl in your files.

Then compile the DSTWin.dsl with the
iasli -ta DSDTWin.dsl
command.

This is how I am reading it, but have not managed to get it to work yet.

It decompiles with the two errors you mention, but wont recompile no matter how I try it.

I am using Notepadd++ so its not hidden characters.

Any thoughts, and thanks again for your efforts on this.

Poz1

Jan 29, 2017
Milan
www.poz1.com
OK,
So far so good. I get to the amending of the of aml. But keep getting.

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL+ Optimizing Compiler/Disassembler version 20180508
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2018 Intel Corporation

iASL: Segmentation Fault
iASL: Terminating

To clarify the process. Decompile the DSTDroid.aml, then insert the OperationRegion (GNVS, SystemMemory, 0x7B3CF000, 0x0369)
Field (GNVS, AnyAcc, Lock, Preserve)
{ etc.. } section from the DSTDroid.dsl and use it to replace the equivalent section in the DSTWin.dsl in your files.

Then compile the DSTWin.dsl with the
iasli -ta DSDTWin.dsl
command.

This is how I am reading it, but have not managed to get it to work yet.

It decompiles with the two errors you mention, but wont recompile no matter how I try it.

I am using Notepadd++ so its not hidden characters.

Any thoughts, and thanks again for your efforts on this.

Hello Broomfundel,
I never got that error, but it seems to be a problem of the ASL Compiler build not of your file.
I am using Mac so I have another build, if you want to post the file I can compile it for you .

Otherwise you can try an older release or to build the tool from source maybe?

THE MAXIMUM POWER

Feb 4, 2016
Hello guys!
I'm starting this thread as I managed to install win10 on my X90L (Android) YogaBook :)

PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOU CONTINUE YOU WILL END UP WITH A YOGABOOK WITHOUT INPUT DEVICES!!!

- Touchscreen
- Keyboard
- NFC

Hi, i have the Lenovo Yoga Book Windows version, im crying to install Stock Android on it, can you PLZ write a guide about doing it, or at least if there is a way to install the kernelflinger.efi or the fastboot mode on YB windows it will be great.
to fix the whole bugs you faced, try to reinstall windows 10 using this methode https://forum.xda-developers.com/yoga-book/how-to/windows-guide-creating-windows-10-t3718823
Thanks

Last edited:

Poz1

Jan 29, 2017
Milan
www.poz1.com
Hi, i have the Lenovo Yoga Book Windows version, im crying to install Stock Android on it, can you PLZ write a guide about doing it, or at least if there is a way to install the kernelflinger.efi or the fastboot mode on YB windows it will be great.
to fix the whole bugs you faced, try to reinstall windows 10 using this methode https://forum.xda-developers.com/yoga-book/how-to/windows-guide-creating-windows-10-t3718823
Thanks

Hi,
KernelFlinger is opensource and come with an installer, it should be pretty simple to install it.

Right now I don't have my YogaBook as I am travelling but I can try in the next few days

Reactions: THE MAXIMUM POWER

Broomfundel

May 22, 2010
OK, Older release worked, but I get a .hex file, your instructions talk about a new aml file. Do I use the .hex file or is there another option other than the -ta one that would create the aml.

BTW. I am enjoying this. So thanks again.

Poz1

Jan 29, 2017
Milan
www.poz1.com
OK, Older release worked, but I get a .hex file, your instructions talk about a new aml file. Do I use the .hex file or is there another option other than the -ta one that would create the aml.

BTW. I am enjoying this. So thanks again.

With the -ta option I get both the .hex and the .aml file but you can try -tc if it doesn't work. Maybe due to the different build

P.s. (for other people that may incur in this) If you don't get the output files check that you have as last line of the terminal
"Compilation complete. 0 Errors" :)

Broomfundel

May 22, 2010
OK, I am getting 7 errors. My current theory is that the DSTDWin.dsl will only compile with the same version number of the compiler it was decompiled with. I have attached my DSDTDroid.dsl so you can have a go. At least it will prove I got things right up to that point. Might be worth posting the original DSTDWin.aml for me to try this end.

If we are lucky it might turn out that the patched DSTDWin.aml files are consistent across the same model devices.

Attachments

• DSDTDroid.zip
    60.8 KB · Views: 189

Poz1

Jan 29, 2017
Milan
www.poz1.com
Sorry guys I've been busy with university :D

OK, I am getting 7 errors. My current theory is that the DSTDWin.dsl will only compile with the same version number of the compiler it was decompiled with. I have attached my DSDTDroid.dsl so you can have a go. At least it will prove I got things right up to that point. Might be worth posting the original DSTDWin.aml for me to try this end.

If we are lucky it might turn out that the patched DSTDWin.aml files are consistent across the same model devices.

There you go :) I'm also updating the files DSTDWin of my blog with one with some fixes :) Well they depend on the settings you use in your Bios (that's why Windows may not boot after install, it changes some parameters (the wait time of the bios and the default boot partition)). When you use the builtin one is the bios that "updates" it for you but for now we need to do it by hand ;) If we are going to end with everything working we can release a patched "Win" bios and everything will be simpler :)

So... It seems both pen mode and keyboard mode of holo keyboard won't work... Am I right?
It's sad that if they won't work even we install the drivers from the lenovo website :(
I know :( There something in the DSDT (the file that tells the os which and where your pc components are) that has to be fixed to make Windows see these parts correctly

can after installing Windows booting to kernelflinger? if you can make a thread about how can you install/reinstall kernelflinger will be amazing?
Thank you

Didn't try :( Will do as soon as I have some free time :fingers-crossed:

Have you tried with the ISO from this forum with the Windows injected drivers? Here https://forum.xda-developers.com/yoga-book/how-to/windows-guide-creating-windows-10-t3718823

Yep, but the problem is in the DSDT :) Thanks fot the input anyway :)

Attachments

• BroomfundelDSDT.zip
    261.3 KB · Views: 60

Broomfundel

May 22, 2010
Sorry guys I've been busy with university :D

Don't worry, we all have real lives as well. I'm in the UK and we have a bank holiday on Monday. So this weekend, Ill get stuck in again.

Thanks for all your doing on this. You have already got further than anyone else who tried.

THE MAXIMUM POWER

Feb 4, 2016
:) let me know if you have more problems :)

I have added a 3DMark test in the first post for those that are interested in how it performs

Just another Question, you as a Advance user, do you believe that we (yoga book Windows owners) can boot Android yb STOCK ROM ( i mean not the Android x86 based distros)?

Poz1

Jan 29, 2017
Milan
www.poz1.com
Yes, but I think you would have to do the "reverse" DSDT injection (from win to android) as the official ROM has drivers for that components.
This means that, if you're lucky you would end up with our same problems (keyboard, pen and touch). If we don't fix that before ;)

The problem with Android is that it is meant to be flashed on rom instead of being installed and this makes things more difficult.
It should be possible to flash the rom on an USB key, add grub and use it for DSDT injection like we do and see what happens.
Another problem is that the provided kernelflinger seems to have most of the security options enabled so 99% it will refuse to boot anyway.
Since it is opensource it should be possible to fix this anyway.

So yes, but it a loooong journey :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys!

- Touchscreen
    - Keyboard
    - NFC
    - Backlight Control (added 25/5/2018)

P.s. In attach you find the outputs from 3DMark - IceStorm Extreme (default settings), would be much appreciated if someone with the real Win version shared its score :D
    installed windows & reverted to android

Just managed to install the windows via the method described. I recommend to copy the efi loaders from the Ubuntu ISO (grub & bootx64) as the DSDT table wasn't able to load via the included one. Other then that it worked great. I tried to use the windows image with injected drivers when installing the system. Most of the devices were functional right from start like Wifi, audio. Sadly, I haven't managed to get halo keyboard working nor touch screen/haptic feedback/vibrations/eMMC card. I tried almost all driver versions I could find for keyboard but none were working, the furthest I could get it functional was to react on the pen icon to switch between keyboard layout/pen mode which the Win10 correctly sensed (offered to open one note when switching) but the rest was not functional (keys, pen etc...). I spent like 3 days tinkering around in hw & bios configuration but to no avail. This was kind of dealbreaker as university semester is starting and would need to use it for taking lecture notes :p So I installed Android back which is possible to do as long as DNX mode is available, in this case, you can still trigger DNX fastboot when windows is installed. It might be even possible to install android to windows based yoga this way. You would need the full stock rom for this. When extracted, inside is the "loader.efi" which is the kernelflinger for yoga book and allows you to boot into the android bootloader. Use commands `fastboot flash osloader loader.efi` & `fastboot boot loader.efi` in DNX to go back into android bootloader, you will then have the normal fastboot accessibility to flash the android stock rom back. Use for example this guide to flash the android back: https://forum.xda-developers.com/yoga-book/how-to/yoga-book-yb1-x90f-android-how-to-flash-t3709930 . In the fille flash_recover_dnx.json is basically the list of commands for installing android via DNX, I personally used a combination of both (the DNX method and flashing stock rom described in the link I posted above). Android works flawlessly after the revert as I haven't any issues.

Since the DNX can apparently boot EFI binaries directly then I guess the installation steps could be also done via that without the need of 2 USB sticks. Grub has also a support of chainloading ISO image directly from an ISO file. Since the android bootloader is an EFI binary (some modified kernelflinger), I think it might be even possible to dualboot the OS using this.

Back to win10 keyboard issues; I tried to flash the BIOS using the one from lenovo support website but it failed with an error that it wasn't able to map something from memory. Suggestion: If someone with native yoga windows version could maybe post pictures of their full BIOS configuration then I could give it another go at installing win10 and getting the rest of HW work by mirroring their BIOS settings.
    Thanks

Hi,
    KernelFlinger is opensource and come with an installer, it should be pretty simple to install it.

Right now I don't have my YogaBook as I am travelling but I can try in the next few days
    Yes, but I think you would have to do the "reverse" DSDT injection (from win to android) as the official ROM has drivers for that components.
    This means that, if you're lucky you would end up with our same problems (keyboard, pen and touch). If we don't fix that before ;)

The problem with Android is that it is meant to be flashed on rom instead of being installed and this makes things more difficult.
    It should be possible to flash the rom on an USB key, add grub and use it for DSDT injection like we do and see what happens.
    Another problem is that the provided kernelflinger seems to have most of the security options enabled so 99% it will refuse to boot anyway.
    Since it is opensource it should be possible to fix this anyway.

So yes, but it a loooong journey :)

Aha, Thanks, by the way, I did the 3dmark ice storm extreme (default) on my yoga book windows edition (with the performance battery infos), also can you plz join us on yoga book telegram so you can tell us more infos about android installing progress https://t.me/lenovoyogabook
    First optional way) about Fixing the Windows on your device, ive found that the touch screen, halo Keyboard (and all other screens that could be touched) are based on Goodix boards, this means go to Lenovo Website and download the halo Keyboard Driver (dont install them yet), then go to device manager----human interface devices-------Goodix touch HID then double click-----Driver-----Driver uninstall---- then DONT FORGET TO MARK THE BOX AND COMPELETLY UNINSTALL THE DRIVER-----, then install the halokeyboard Drivers that you already downloaded and dont Forget to follow the instructions in readme file.
    Second optional way) try to active Windows with License as it will download the neccessirly Drivers automatically.
    thank
    Well, Android might be stable (as long as not running on x86), but there is simply no point in Android tablets. It's just wasting resources.

Who was talking about power computing here? That's something that is handled by desktops/servers. Still, even when it comes to the simplest tasks, like handling office documents on the go, Windows wins. There is nothing that can change this fact.

Additionally let me point out that this device is more a laptop/netbook than a tablet as it has a non-removable keyboard

A keyboard, or should we say a virtual keyboard does not make it a laptop/notebook. There aren't really any keys, it does not have a physical keyboard, it is just a digitizing surface that also works like a keyboard. Folding it at the back makes it an ultra thin tablet. It is as thick as my iPad.
    Windows 10 in tablet mode is the biggest joke of all:
    - Rotate it and some stuff gets out of view
    - All apps are simply ugly and dysfunctional. Start from all pdf readers for example, epub and others are even worse with te pitiful edge providing the best user experience of all.
    I could start writing a long crapload of stuff for windows 10 in here, but let it be.

The office suite for android woks pretty well. It even supports VB script what doesn't work for you, what did you expect and you did not find it in it? Not to mention that if you are a 365 subscriber you get even more.
    Android is a far more mature OS for tablets than Win 10 is. Win 10 have still a long way to go and most parts of it are not optimized for a mobile user experience.
    I ditched my HP X2 for it and I am happier than ever. I miss a couple of things though from win 10, but nothing that will make me go back with it.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone