[HOW-TO] Installing CM10.x Internally on Nook Tablet

Search This thread

alphad2an

Sep 20, 2013
It's because the chrmhoffmann recovery.img is compiled for emmc, not sd-card.

You should be able to use the recovery.img contained inside the zip file for Succulent's CM11 SD-based ROM: e.g, cm_acclaim_11.0_07FEB2014_HD_SDC.zip (iamafanof.wordpress.com/2014/01/01/cm11-0-kitkat-android-4-4-2-for-nook-tablet-sdcxxx-01jan2013 ).

Also, a more up-to-date version of PA-Gapps can be found at goo.im/devs/paranoidandroid/roms/gapps-mini.

Thanks that did the trick.

blisside

Feb 16, 2014
updathe the limks

could you please update the links

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

could you please update the links to the files

Reactions: Stu Pedaso

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Installing CM10.x Internally on Nook Tablet

[Caveat emptor: adopt/follow this guide at your own risk].

The following is the process using SD-based recovery to install CM10.x internally (i.e., on emmc) on a Nook Tablet running stock ROM. (To flash CM11 see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2692403).

1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on SD card a Primary FAT32 partition, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows
  2. Obtain and copy to the SD card the following files:
  3. Put the SD card into the NT, and boot from its power off by inserting a powered USB cable. Press and hold the N button as soon as CyanoBoot comes up to get the boot menu to display.
  4. Select SDC Recovery.
  5. [Optional step but highly recommended] Select Backup to backup your NT current ROM config (/boot, /recovery, /system, and /data).
  6. Select Wipe data & factory reset.
  7. Select install zip from SD card and install flashable CWM recovery zip file.
  8. Select install zip from SD card and install CM10.x zip file.
  9. Select install zip from SD card and install Gapps zip file.
  10. Remove SD card and select reboot.

Once the NT boots up, set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info. If you had previously used Google backup service on your NT your apps will be auto-downloaded (but their settings will not be auto-restored).

Notes
  • If the Nook fails to boot off SD -- the two most common symptoms of failed SD boot and their likely causes are:
    • The NT boots straight to stock -- most likely the boot partition's type and/or flag are not correctly set, or the NT cannot find the MLO in the boot partition (make sure that MLO is the very first file to be copied to the freshly made /boot partition).
    • The NT screen stays dark for seemingly a long time then eventually boots to stock -- most likely the MLO or u-boot.bin are corrupted. When in doubt, compare the size of the two copies of the files in bytes.
  • Installing CM ROM and Gapps will override your NT's current boot, recovery, ROM, and Apps, so make sure that you backup all this stuff using recovery backup function, for easy in reverting to previous ROM if desired. See my post at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48612997#post48612997 for more "Info and Tips for Mitigating Risks in Rooting and Flashing Custom-ROM".
    Also, I would advise against using any other functions of the recovery without first carefully researching to understand what they really do.
  • Skip steps 2(b) and 7 if using Succulent's CM10.x ROM (as his ROM zip file already contains emmc recovery.img).
  • The "boot/reboot to black screen" is a known and AFAIK unresolved issue for 10.1 and 10.2.x. Its frequency of occurrence varies with users (30-40% in my case), and some users have reported (just as you seemed to have also experienced) that given more elapsed time the boot/reboot would eventually complete. See http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2388520&highlight=black+screen&page=23 for brief discussions of this issue as well as the "sputtering boot animation issue".

My thanks to all the developers who collective work created the wonderful CM ROM for the NT as well as the tools and info I made use of to install it.

Last edited:

omegacore

Jan 6, 2013
So my backup step seems to have locked up while making FAULT_SUMMARY_com.android.browser_2012-03-03_19:58:58_PST.zip

Not sure what to do.

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
So my backup step seems to have locked up while making FAULT_SUMMARY_com.android.browser_2012-03-03_19:58:58_PST.zip

Not sure what to do.
FWIW the few times when my CWM back-up hung mid-stream it was because of insufficient backup space. The backup space required for my NT ranges from ~600MB when it was relatively new running stock ROM to 1.8GB nowadays running CM11 with a couple of dozen apps.

Last edited:

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I flashed CM 10.2.1 a few days ago on my 16 GB NT according to post #163 (thank you digixmax!!!!) and it all seemed to go well. I also backed up the stock 1.43 before the change.

It all seemed fine until my first reboot a day later when all I got was a back screen after "Loading (emmc)...". I tried a couple of times. I eventually put in the SDcard I used to flash hoping it would boot from there but I got the red "booti" message. Meanwhile the battery was rapidly draining so not knowing what to do I plugged it in to charge for awhile. I eventually got it to boot but really by accident as I thought it was just a black screen again but when I touched the "N" button it was all there!

Then the screen lock started not coming on. Now it only works manually from the power button regardless of what combination of settings I try. I originally had issues with seeing the internal 1 GB on my PC but seem to have resolved that by clearing away all the old B&N folders, setting the NT for MTP and enabling USB debugging. Now I can see the contents of the partition.

Booting is unnerving. After "the flash" when leaving the "N" screen, the cyanoboot screen comes along and the the cyanogen mod boot screen with the rotating arrow. The arrow starts and stops. Reminds me of an old Win XP machine having trouble and the little moving indicator on the screen starting and stopping. Never a good sign, the IT guys used to tell me.

Today it never got past there on a reboot so I flashed the flash_fix_recovery_bootloop.zip file from the SDcard and that seemed to "solve" the problem.

I've checked the MD5 checksums on the files I used and they are fine, but I am thinking I need to do this whole thing over again.

If I do, is there anything I should know? I assume I restore the backup (stock 1.43) from the SDcard. Any additional steps (things to clear/wipe)? I'm thinking I might repartition after that. Then can I just repeat the instructions in post #163?

Thanks for any and all help!

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
It all seemed fine until my first reboot a day later when all I got was a back screen after "Loading (emmc)...".
Booting is unnerving. After "the flash" when leaving the "N" screen, the cyanoboot screen comes along and the the cyanogen mod boot screen with the rotating arrow. The arrow starts and stops. Reminds me of an old Win XP machine having trouble and the little moving indicator on the screen starting and stopping.
If I do, is there anything I should know? I assume I restore the backup (stock 1.43) from the SDcard. Any additional steps (things to clear/wipe)? I'm thinking I might repartition after that. Then can I just repeat the instructions in post #163?
The "boot/reboot to black screen" is a known and AFAIK unresolved issue for 10.1 and 10.2.x. Its occurrence frequency varies with users (30-40% in my case), and some users have reported (just as you seemed to have also experienced) that given more elapsed time the boot/reboot would eventually complete. See http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2388520&highlight=black+screen&page=23 for brief discussions of this issue as well as the "sputtering boot animation issue".

If this issue bothers you then you might consider trying CM11 as the issue seems to have gone away in CM11 later builds (e.g., snapshots M4 through M7). CM11 of course has its own quirks ...

You do not need to restore to stock ROM to re-flash CM10 or to update to CM11 (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2670589 on pointers/tips on how to update to CM11).

Finally, you should recharge your NT when its battery level is down to 25-30% range, as I've found the CM10/11 battery readings somewhat inaccurate/unreliable and consequently the NT in low battery can go dead suddenly.

Reactions: nmyshkin

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Thanks for your helpful responses. I guess one approach is to minimize rebooting...

Is the lock-screen problem also a known issue with CM 10.21? I've read posts for other hardware that seem to indicate that. I'm wondering how the sleep interval and the screen timeout modes interact. Do you know what the three times in the screen timeout modes are for? (Fade, off, sleep?)

Sent from my CM 10.21 NT

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Is the lock-screen problem also a known issue with CM 10.21? I've read posts for other hardware that seem to indicate that. I'm wondering how the sleep interval and the screen timeout modes interact. Do you know what the three times in the screen timeout modes are for? (Fade, off, sleep?)
I don't recall having any problem with lock-screen in CM10.x.

With recent CM11 builds, my NT sometimes fails to auto-lock when going asleep and wakes up in a home-screen in lieu of lock-screen; at other times it exits to lock-screen while in the middle of navigating some app!!!

Last edited:

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I don't recall having any problem with lock-screen in CM10.x.

OK, so it's me with the lock screen issue. Sounds like a reinstall might be worth the few minutes it will take to do it. I haven't put anything on the device yet during this "shakedown" so it's no big deal. In fact, my local B&N apparently will still repartition so I'm thinking I will go back to stock and let them do their thing, then flash CM 10.2.1 again. I can follow the repartition directions in other threads here but the whole USB/ADB driver and settings issue is not working out for me. I had the same trouble with my NST. Wireless ADB is no problem and what I'm used to, but that won't work for the repartition regimen.

Thanks again for your help and for all the really clear guides you've written.

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
In fact, my local B&N apparently will still repartition so I'm thinking I will go back to stock and let them do their thing, then flash CM 10.2.1 again. I can follow the repartition directions in other threads here but the whole USB/ADB driver and settings issue is not working out for me. I had the same trouble with my NST. Wireless ADB is no problem and what I'm used to, but that won't work for the repartition regimen.
I think avoiding the risk of bricking your NT during a DIY re-partitioning is more than worth the effort of restoring your NT to stock so as to let BN doing the re-partitioning.

Last edited:

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Repartitioner's Remorse.....almost :)

I think avoiding the risk of bricking your NT during a DIY re-partitioning is more than worth the effort of restoring your NT to stock so as to let BN doing the re-partitioning.

I restored the original backup of the stock system and off I went to B&N where some nice young man who knew what he was doing (university town--lots of tech-savvy young people needing part-time work) proceded to deregister my NT in preparation for repartitioning (so said the instructions). Everything looked fine until a little Android appeared on the screen (uh-oh) and a thin blue line advanced below it.

We gaped. Fortunately I had already spun a story about getting the tablet on ebay (true), the seller not even deregistering it (true), it turning out to be a 16 GB model rather than the 8 GB model listed (true), at which point I added, as another tech-savvy young man came over to join in the gape-fest, "well, who knows what the original owner did to it...."

The little Android went away and the device rebooted into the stock operating system again. Then the repartitioning process went forward as I held my breath. Five minutes later it was done. Voila! 8 GB of internal side-load storage!

I had forgotten about the internal CWM recovery, obviously.

A new EMMC install of CM 10.2.1 with a freshly prepared SDcard went quickly but booting was a mess. I got to the "turning on Wi-Fi screen" on the first try (after stuttering arrows) and it just sat there. A forced shut-down was followed by a series of failed boot attempts (the "black" screen). Finally I reflashed the ROM in desperation and went through the exact same madness!

Gave up, rebooted and let it sit to sulk while I fixed dinner. 30 min. later I touched the "N" button and there was the welcome screen and everything went through without a hitch.

WHEW.

fullboogie

Jun 23, 2012
Houston
I know this is an old thread, but many many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this, as well as the OP. I had rooted and installed CM7 years ago, and finally brought my old Nook out of the dark ages with CM10. Love it, particularly since it now closely resembles my HD+ now.

G0ldengirl68

Jan 4, 2017
Crescent City, CA
I so appreciate the chance to upgrade my NOOK Tablet BNTV205A. I used your instruction Digimax, plus a lot of help from nmyshkin. Everything works, it takes patience, a lot of patience, and re-reading the direction (for me anyway as I tend to charge ahead full-speed without making sure I have the details).

Mine was really persnickety in that when I touch the screen, nothing happened. So I had to decide to wait to see if it was just slow, or just needed another tap. When I got to the "install the 3 files" it was so hard.

I did go with the CM11, I didn't mention that earlier. I really just wanted to thank Digimax here, and let folks know it did work, although I have a few glitches. I attribute them to the fact that the Nook Tablet I have is I think one of the first Nook made. I bought it is 2011 (late Fall of). I used it only for reading on a program called Overdrive (you can check out library books digitally) plus I bought about 200 books from Barnes and Noble. Great reader.

I wanted the upgrade though because Overdrive upgraded it's program, and it no longer was compatible with the Nook. Also, what support B&N did have was taken away, zero support for Apps on my Version.

Anyway, I may start making a list of the things that aren't working and see if anyone has any "fixes" for them.

In the install of the CM11, I might be able to help someone else, I've done it a few times now, and see where I went wrong and remedied that by simply trying again, following Digimax instructions;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [See post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43326042&postcount=123 for the new version of this post with updated links/pointers to Succulent's recent CM10.1 builds as well as CWM/TWRP recovery tool compilation].

I've been running CM10 build by XDA Developer Succulent version 12/08 on SD card since its release ten days ago, and its reliable/stable performance has crossed the threshold for me to finally take the plunge and install it internally on emmc.

FWIW, here the process I used to install CM10 internally on my 16GB Nook Tablet (i.e., on its emmc).
    1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on SD card a Primary FAT32 partition, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows. If you are going to use this card for backing up your NT, keep in mind that each backup will require at least 600MB (for a barebone stock or CM config) and size the partition accordingly.
    3. Put the SD card into the NT, and boot from its power off by inserting a powered USB cable. Press and hold the N button as soon as CyanoBoot comes up to get the boot menu to display.
    4. Select either SDC Recovery (or Alternate Boot depending on which recovery tool you want to use).
    5. Select Backup to backup your current NT config (/boot, /recovery, /system, and /data). Before proceeding to next step, see note (ii) near the end of this post.
    7. Select install zip from SD card and install cm-10 zip file.
    8. Select install zip from SD card and install gapps zip file.
    9. Select power of and remove SD card from NT and power NT on again using the power button (alternatively you can just remove SD card and select reboot).

Once the NT boots up, set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info. If you had previously used Google backup service your apps will be auto-downloaded (but their settings will not be auto-restored)

A few additional points worth noting:
    • Installing CM10 ROM and gapps will override your NT's BN-provided boot, recovery, ROM, and Apps, so make sure that you backup all this stuff using backup process in step #5 above, safekeep the backup data on your PC/Laptop and better yet archive it on CD/DVD. Your media files in the NT media partition BN allocates for user should be intact.
    • To play it safe you should do the above in 2 phases: steps 1 through 5, then exit recovery and remove and mount SD card on PC to verify that backup data got newly created; then insert SD card and continue steps 6 through 9.
    • CWM and TWRP use different backup archive formats, so keep this in mind if you decide to switch. Furthermore, CWM has changed its archive format going from release 5.x to 6.x, so I think it would be prudent to save a copy of the recovery program together with the backup data it generated. (FWIW I prefer the tar/zip compatible backup data structure TWRP uses (which CWM 5.x had also used) over the BLOb structure which CWM 6.x use -- but YMMV).
    • To restore from backup data, boot into SD card and select from boot menu the same recovery program that was used to create the backup data, then select the particular backup dataset (indexed by date/time) you want to reinstall on your NT.
    • I would advise against blindly using other functions of the CWM and TWRP without looking up info and researching to understand what they really do.
    • See my post at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48612997#post48612997 for more "Info and Tips for Mitigating Risks in Rooting and Flashing Custom-ROM".

My thanks to all the developers who collective work created this wonderful ROM as well as the tools and info I made use of to install it. IMHO this ROM helps make the Nook Tablet one of the best-value tablets for the money (at least at the moment).

[See post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51377882&postcount=163 for the new version of this post with updated links/pointers].

I've been running CM10.1 build by XDA Developer Succulent version 06/29 on SD card since its release a weekago, and its reliable/stable performance has crossed the threshold for me to finally take the plunge and install it internally on emmc (updating the tablet from Succulent’s CM10.0 build dated 12.31).

FWIW, here the process I used to install CM10 internally on my 16GB Nook Tablet (i.e., on its emmc).
    1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on SD card a Primary FAT32 partition, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows. If you are going to use this card for backing up your NT, keep in mind that each backup will require at least 600MB (for a barebone stock or CM config) and size the partition accordingly.
    4. Select either SDC Recovery (or Alternate Boot depending on which recovery tool you want to use).
    5. Select Backup to backup your current NT config (/boot, /recovery, /system, and /data). Before proceeding to next step, see note (ii) near the end of this post.
    7. Select install zip from SD card and install cm10 zip file.
    8. Select install zip from SD card and install gapps zip file.
    9. Select power of and remove SD card from NT and power NT on again using the power button (alternatively you can just remove SD card and select reboot).

Once the NT boots up, set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info. If you had previously used Google backup service your apps will be auto-downloaded (but their settings will not be auto-restored)

A few additional points worth noting:
    • Installing CM10 ROM and gapps will override your NT's BN-provided boot, recovery, ROM, and Apps, so make sure that you backup all this stuff using backup process in step #5 above, safekeep the backup data on your PC/Laptop and better yet archive it on CD/DVD. Your media files in the NT media partition BN allocates for user should be intact.
    • To play it safe you should do the above in 2 phases: steps 1 through 5, then exit recovery and remove and mount SD card on PC to verify that backup data got newly created; then insert SD card and continue steps 6 through 9.
    • CWM and TWRP use different backup archive formats, so keep this in mind if you decide to switch. Furthermore, CWM has changed its archive format going from release 5.x to 6.x, so I think it would be prudent to save a copy of the recovery program together with the backup data it generated. (FWIW I prefer the tar/zip compatible backup data structure TWRP uses (which CWM 5.x had also used) over the BLOb structure which CWM 6.x use -- but YMMV).
    • To restore from backup data, boot into SD card and select from boot menu the same recovery program that was used to create the backup data, then select the particular backup dataset (indexed by date/time) you want to reinstall on your NT.
    • Do not blindly use other functions of the CWM and TWRP without researching to understand what they really do.
    • See my post at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2575489 for more "Info and Tips for Mitigating Risks in Rooting and Flashing Custom-ROM".
    • This guide is written for use with Succulent's ROM builds which typically have recovery.img included in their ROM zip archive files. If you are coming from stock ROM and plan to adapt this guide to use with another ROM build (such as CM10.x nightlies) that does not contain recovery.img in its ROM zip archive file then you should also flash (either CWM or TWRP) recovery.img to replace the stock recovery (in the /recovery partition) on emmc. Flashable recovery zip files can be found in Succulent's recovery repository at http://goo.im/devs/succulent/acclaim/recovery. Alternatively, see http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47680141&postcount=2 or http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49111924&postcount=8 on how to create flashable zip for emmc recovery.
    • Flashing CM11 requires CWM version 6.0.4.5 or later, or TWRP version 2.6.3.0 or later, in step 2(b); you can find the SD version of TWRP 2.6.3.x at http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/acclaim.
    • If you install an older or newer release of CM10.x than the one I referenced in this post then make sure you install the right corresponding Gapps version. Some potential repositories for Gapps are http://goo.im/gapps and http://goo.im/devs/paranoidandroid/roms/gapps-mini.

My thanks to all the developers who collective work created this wonderful ROM as well as the tools and info I made use of to install it.
    great post...fwiw here's my experience to get two NT16's up and running (I started with an old CM7 on both of them).

1. Backup nook with titanium backup on existing 32GB card.
    2. Take screenshots for replacements
    3. Reset nook to stock (1.4.2) and update to latest (1.4.3) with a fresh SD Card with repart.img copied to root (my red 2GB card):
    4. Create a CWM SD Card (ideally 4GB SanDisk) as per these instructions - http://raywaldo.com/2012/05/root-nook-tablet-with-cwm-sdcard/
    5. Copy CM7 BETA and compatible GAPPS onto this card or another blank one. You can get the files from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1481826 and http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Latest_Version/Google_Apps
    6. Boot into this CWM Card, wipe data/wipe cache and dalvik cache. Install zip from sdcard (either current or pop in the new one). Choose cm-7 beta first, then gapps. Remove sd card. Reboot. Wait a while for it to set itself up.
    7. Go into settings/applications and clear the cache for google market/play.
    8. You now have CM7 installed and can setup the basics (google, wifi etc..)
    9. Insert your 32GB (or 16 or 8 or whatever) Sandisk SD Card (it should ideally have the Titanium Backup folder from step 1, any media you want in Music and Movies folder and the CM10 and gapps zip in the downloads folder -- and that's it!)
    10. Once mounted, download Goo Manager from the google play store and run it, accepting superuser requests.
    11. Choose settings menu and "Install OpenRecoveryScript" and it should install openrecovery twrp recovery manager. Once it has installed and informed you of success, reboot into recovery (this is important), upon reboot hold the "n" and choose internal emmc recovery from the menu.
    12. You will now find yourself in TWRP. From the install menu, add the CM10 PURE AOSP 4.1.2 JBV06.1-Hashcode and then the gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip and swipe to confirm flash. This is it. Fingers Crossed!
    13. NOTE: On one NT 16 (I have two), step 12 DID NOT WORK. It wouldn't install the CM10...zip -- and simply rebooted itself or hung...so I powered off, and rebooted to the CWM Card in #6..and used CWM to wipe caches etc… and then installed the two zips...and voila.

hope it helps.

The following is the process using SD-based recovery to install CM10.x internally (i.e., on emmc) on a Nook Tablet running stock ROM. (To flash CM11 see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2692403).

1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on SD card a Primary FAT32 partition, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows
    4. Select SDC Recovery.
    5. [Optional step but highly recommended] Select Backup to backup your NT current ROM config (/boot, /recovery, /system, and /data).
    7. Select install zip from SD card and install flashable CWM recovery zip file.
    8. Select install zip from SD card and install CM10.x zip file.
    9. Select install zip from SD card and install Gapps zip file.
    10. Remove SD card and select reboot.

Once the NT boots up, set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info. If you had previously used Google backup service on your NT your apps will be auto-downloaded (but their settings will not be auto-restored).

Notes
    • If the Nook fails to boot off SD -- the two most common symptoms of failed SD boot and their likely causes are:
      • The NT boots straight to stock -- most likely the boot partition's type and/or flag are not correctly set, or the NT cannot find the MLO in the boot partition (make sure that MLO is the very first file to be copied to the freshly made /boot partition).
      • The NT screen stays dark for seemingly a long time then eventually boots to stock -- most likely the MLO or u-boot.bin are corrupted. When in doubt, compare the size of the two copies of the files in bytes.
    • Installing CM ROM and Gapps will override your NT's current boot, recovery, ROM, and Apps, so make sure that you backup all this stuff using recovery backup function, for easy in reverting to previous ROM if desired. See my post at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48612997#post48612997 for more "Info and Tips for Mitigating Risks in Rooting and Flashing Custom-ROM".
      Also, I would advise against using any other functions of the recovery without first carefully researching to understand what they really do.
    • Skip steps 2(b) and 7 if using Succulent's CM10.x ROM (as his ROM zip file already contains emmc recovery.img).
    • The "boot/reboot to black screen" is a known and AFAIK unresolved issue for 10.1 and 10.2.x. Its frequency of occurrence varies with users (30-40% in my case), and some users have reported (just as you seemed to have also experienced) that given more elapsed time the boot/reboot would eventually complete. See http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2388520&highlight=black+screen&page=23 for brief discussions of this issue as well as the "sputtering boot animation issue".

My thanks to all the developers who collective work created the wonderful CM ROM for the NT as well as the tools and info I made use of to install it.
    I need some help please.
    I used the process and all the files of the initial thread post. Worked perfectly. I thought CM 10 was a bit old, so I wanted to update to CM 11.
    I recreated the exact same sd card, only instead of "cm-10-yyyymmdd-UNOFFICIAL-acclaim.zip from http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2012/...let-uploading/" I used cm-11-20131222-UNOFFICIAL-acclaim from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2535421.
    I was under the impression that in order to do an update I have to "Flash" again... but I think I did the process wrong.
    Selected Wipe data & factory reset. <<<<<I think this is where I went wrong>>>>
    You need to do "wipe /data & factory reset" if you come from stock ROM (or another ROM flavor).
    Selected install zip from SD card and installed cm-11 zip file.
    Then I got an update failed. <<<I did not choose anything that specifically said "Update". I just chose install>>>> :confused:
    To flash CM11 you need newer versions of CWM or TWRP -- see note (viii) of post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43326042&postcount=123. Alternatively you can install 10.2 and subsequently upgrade to CM11 using the approach outlined in http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50141401&postcount=241.
    Is the backup I made got lost because I formated the SD Card when trying to make a clean one for CM-11
    Yes, unless you had copied the backup dataset to your PC prior to reformatting your SD card.