• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[HOW TO] Installing LN14.1 Internally on Nook HD+

Search This thread
Caveat emptor: adopt/follow this guide at your own risk.

Below is a procedure that can be used to install amaces' LN14.1 (ref: https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/development/marshmallow-nook-hd-hd-t3239269) internally on a Nook HD+ :

1. Download sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz from amaces' repo https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/1/3332706778, unzip it (using e.g. 7-zip) and use win32diskimager to write the unzipped content sdcard-reco-ovation.img to a SD card.
  2. Download and copy to the same SD card:

3. Turn off the Nook, insert the SD card, and boot the Nook from its power-off state.
  4. [Optional] Make a backup of your stock ROM & Apps: to backup onto the Bootable Recovery SD card you'd need to make the boot partition on the SD card large enough to hold the backup of your stock ROM and its Apps -- see my post #7 below.
  5. Select "wipe data & factory reset".
  6. Select "install zip from SD card" and install TWRP recovery zip file.
  7. Select "install zip from SD card" and install LN14.1 zip file.
  8. Select "install zip from SD card" and install Gapps zip file.
  9. Remove SD card and select reboot.

Once the HD+ completes boot-up (be patient as the post-installation initial boot would take 3-5 min), set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info.

If you run into problems during initial setup:

- absence of WiFi network setup step: see this post
- setup process crashes (as have been reported with some combos of ROM and GApps build versions): retry the clean install process with the sequence of steps # 5, #7 & #9 (i.e., skipping over step #8 flashing GApps) and complete the initial setup, then reboot into TWRP to flash GApps; see also https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=72104906&postcount=37 for solution for other setup crash causes.

To enable "Root", see https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=72185622&postcount=1915.

Notes
- This procedure can also be used to install amaces' AOSP7.1 ROM (instead of his LN14.1 ROM).
- If your HD+ is currently running CM11/12/13, see https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/general/how-to-updating-nook-hd-internal-emmc-t3562818 for an alternate procedure which does not require use of a SD card.

Please post any comment/question on the features or performance of AOSP & LN ROM builds on the Developer's thread at https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/development/marshmallow-nook-hd-hd-t3239269.

Last edited:

wiismhour

Feb 23, 2017
I used these steps and can confirm that it works. I came from stock ROM. I understand that there's a risk since I did not do a original ROM backup.

So far, I am impressed by the work that have gone in to make it happened from so many volunteers.

bru20

Mar 8, 2017
I did this on my Nook HD yesterday. Everything seemed to go correct, however my tablet will not power off. If I power off it immediately restarts. I saw a similar problem mentioned with another build but can't seem to find the thread that was referenced.

edit: I found this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/development/marshmallow-nook-hd-hd-t3239269/page166 which implies this is a known problem.

Holding the power button beyond the shutdown screen worked! The tablet powered off and stays off. Phew.

Can I take a moment to say thank you. I have owned a Nook HD and Nook HD+ for almost four years. I am not very technical but did do some modding of them to enable unknown sources, the very basic you could do. The tablets were really sluggish with the original OS but we muddled through. Last week the Nook HD froze at the boot screen and the only way to resolve was a factory reset. I figured the time was right to do something more permanent and followed your instructions.

The only issue I had was I was not able to do a backup. I used an 8 GB SD card. When I used win32diskimager to write the unzipped content sdcard-reco-ovation.img to the SD card for some reason the size of the card changed to ~900 MB. So the SD card didn't have enough space for the OS backup. I redid the card several times but it kept happening. Not sure if you know what I did wrong, but I hope its moot since I hope to never to have to go back to the Nook OS.

Very sorry for the long message, but I am excited with the prospect of having a tablet we can actually use. I plan to do this to my HD+ but that one is still working and has a ton of content that I know will be lost. But I think I have to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: exhausted2
Can I take a moment to say thank you.
You're quite welcome (you can thank me by just hitting the "Thanks" button on my post).
The only issue I had was I was not able to do a backup. I used an 8 GB SD card. When I used win32diskimager to write the unzipped content sdcard-reco-ovation.img to the SD card for some reason the size of the card changed to ~900 MB. So the SD card didn't have enough space for the OS backup. I redid the card several times but it kept happening. Not sure if you know what I did wrong, but I hope its moot since I hope to never to have to go back to the Nook OS.
Bootable Recovery SD card images (such as Amaces' image in this case) are usually intentionally made just large enough for users to add necessary flashable zip files for ROM/GApps/Recovery yet small enough to fit in the smaller size cards a user might happen to have laying around. It's possible but more tedious (and thus potentially error-prone) to create a Bootable Recovery SD card with custom size of up to 16GB for the boot-partition -- I'll post a short guide for this.

Reactions: bru20
Process for Creating a Bootable Recovery SD card for Nook HD+

[Caveat emptor: adopt/follow this guide at your own risk].

Below is the process for creating a Bootable Recovery SD card for flashing ROM/GApps/Recovery on a Nook HD+:

1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on a SD card a Primary FAT32 partition of size no larger than 16GB, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows.
  2. Use an archive file manager such as 7-zip and extract the .img file from amaces' sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz ( https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/1/3332706778 )
  3. Use the archive file manager to extract the files from the .img file and copy them to the SD card: first MLO, then the rest of the files u-boot.bin, uImage, kernel, ramdisk, ramdisk.cwm, ramdisk.stock, and the folder OLD.
  4. Copy to the SD card the flashable zip files for the ROM/GApps/Recovery/etc. that you'd want to install.

Notes
The most common symptoms of failed SD boot and their likely causes are:
  • The HD+ boots straight to stock -- most likely the boot partition's type and/or flag are not correctly set, or the NT cannot find the MLO in the boot partition (make sure that MLO is the very first file to be copied to the freshly made /boot partition).

If the HD+ consistently boots straight to stock in spite of a valid /boot partition and boot files, it's possible that the tablet is one of those HD+ units that have difficulty booting of SD cards, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2288688 for more info and potential remedies.
  • The HD+ screen stays dark for seemingly a long time then eventually boots to stock -- most likely the MLO or u-boot.bin are corrupted. I have had this happen to me a few times in the process of extracting them from archive zip files.
  • The boot partition size is too large -- for some reason the HD+ cannot boot on boot partition of size larger than 16GB.

Last edited:

bozzchem

Apr 19, 2013
Fantastic write up.

Everything went flawlessly.

I notice that my device is no longer rooted. Is there a relatively quick way to re-root now that I've completed all the steps in your original post?

Thanks for such a well written guide!!

I notice that my device is no longer rooted. Is there a relatively quick way to re-root now that I've completed all the steps in your original post?
Root is built into this ROM and can be enabled in Settings->"Developer Options", but because of a current bug you'd need to enable it, then disable it, then re-enable it again.

Reactions: bozzchem

bozzchem

Apr 19, 2013
After getting root access as described above in post #9, I installed SuperSU and SuperSU Pro from Play.

Once the binary updated and I rebooted, I was stuck in a bootloop. I had to reflash the entire process to get the HD+ operational again.

Is this normal? Did I miss something? Does SuperSU not work with this ROM?

I see that the ROM has "Privacy Guard" which looks to be a form of superuser. Ti backup isn't happy with the stock SU and would prefer I install SuperSU. I would love to install SuperSU but don't want to reflash from scratch again.

Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
After getting root access as described above in post #9, I installed SuperSU and SuperSU Pro from Play.

Once the binary updated and I rebooted, I was stuck in a bootloop. I had to reflash the entire process to get the HD+ operational again.

Is this normal? Did I miss something? Does SuperSU not work with this ROM?
Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated!
I believe the "Manage root access" menu in Settings->"Developer options" is meant to eliminate the need for root-access-management apps.

RoundSparrow

May 5, 2011
Austin, TX
Thank you for the work on this. Mine is HD Plus.. Only problem I'm having after upgrade is the unit ignores "Power off" and seems to turn itself on after about 30 seconds of black screen and boots back up. Battery is at 100%, and I disconnected the USB cable, nothing is connected. Anyone else seen this?

Last edited:
Thank you for the work on this. Mine is HD Plus.. Only problem I'm having after upgrade is the unit ignores "Power off" and seems to turn itself on after about 30 seconds of black screen and boots back up. Battery is at 100%, and I disconnected the USB cable, nothing is connected. Anyone else seen this?
I am running lnos_ovation-ota-NOF26W.170226 and have not seen this problem with this build as well as the previous build.

Did you do a "wipe /data & factory reset" before flashing the ROM/GApps zip files?

Also, this thread which has a much larger set of reader might be a better place to post and get help with questions like yours.

RoundSparrow

May 5, 2011
Austin, TX
I am running lnos_ovation-ota-NOF26W.170226 and have not seen this problem with this build as well as the previous build.

Did you do a "wipe /data & factory reset" before flashing the ROM/GApps zip files?

Also, this thread which has a much larger set of reader might be a better place to post and get help with questions like yours.

I did it on two systems, one is 16GB the other 32GB. The one that keeps turning back on was one was upgraded from CM11 (32GB), the other was virgin Nook OS . Yes, I did wipe /data and factory reset, formatted cache, etc.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Caveat emptor: adopt/follow this guide at your own risk.

Below is a procedure that can be used to install amaces' LN14.1 (ref: https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/development/marshmallow-nook-hd-hd-t3239269) internally on a Nook HD+ :

1. Download sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz from amaces' repo https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/1/3332706778, unzip it (using e.g. 7-zip) and use win32diskimager to write the unzipped content sdcard-reco-ovation.img to a SD card.
    2. Download and copy to the same SD card:

3. Turn off the Nook, insert the SD card, and boot the Nook from its power-off state.
    4. [Optional] Make a backup of your stock ROM & Apps: to backup onto the Bootable Recovery SD card you'd need to make the boot partition on the SD card large enough to hold the backup of your stock ROM and its Apps -- see my post #7 below.
    5. Select "wipe data & factory reset".
    6. Select "install zip from SD card" and install TWRP recovery zip file.
    7. Select "install zip from SD card" and install LN14.1 zip file.
    8. Select "install zip from SD card" and install Gapps zip file.
    9. Remove SD card and select reboot.

Once the HD+ completes boot-up (be patient as the post-installation initial boot would take 3-5 min), set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info.

If you run into problems during initial setup:

- absence of WiFi network setup step: see this post
    - setup process crashes (as have been reported with some combos of ROM and GApps build versions): retry the clean install process with the sequence of steps # 5, #7 & #9 (i.e., skipping over step #8 flashing GApps) and complete the initial setup, then reboot into TWRP to flash GApps; see also https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=72104906&postcount=37 for solution for other setup crash causes.

To enable "Root", see https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=72185622&postcount=1915.

Notes
    - This procedure can also be used to install amaces' AOSP7.1 ROM (instead of his LN14.1 ROM).
    - If your HD+ is currently running CM11/12/13, see https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/general/how-to-updating-nook-hd-internal-emmc-t3562818 for an alternate procedure which does not require use of a SD card.

Please post any comment/question on the features or performance of AOSP & LN ROM builds on the Developer's thread at https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/development/marshmallow-nook-hd-hd-t3239269.
    Process for Creating a Bootable Recovery SD card for Nook HD+

[Caveat emptor: adopt/follow this guide at your own risk].

Below is the process for creating a Bootable Recovery SD card for flashing ROM/GApps/Recovery on a Nook HD+:

1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on a SD card a Primary FAT32 partition of size no larger than 16GB, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows.
    2. Use an archive file manager such as 7-zip and extract the .img file from amaces' sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz ( https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/1/3332706778 )
    3. Use the archive file manager to extract the files from the .img file and copy them to the SD card: first MLO, then the rest of the files u-boot.bin, uImage, kernel, ramdisk, ramdisk.cwm, ramdisk.stock, and the folder OLD.
    4. Copy to the SD card the flashable zip files for the ROM/GApps/Recovery/etc. that you'd want to install.

Notes
    The most common symptoms of failed SD boot and their likely causes are:
    • The HD+ boots straight to stock -- most likely the boot partition's type and/or flag are not correctly set, or the NT cannot find the MLO in the boot partition (make sure that MLO is the very first file to be copied to the freshly made /boot partition).

If the HD+ consistently boots straight to stock in spite of a valid /boot partition and boot files, it's possible that the tablet is one of those HD+ units that have difficulty booting of SD cards, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2288688 for more info and potential remedies.
    • The HD+ screen stays dark for seemingly a long time then eventually boots to stock -- most likely the MLO or u-boot.bin are corrupted. I have had this happen to me a few times in the process of extracting them from archive zip files.
    • The boot partition size is too large -- for some reason the HD+ cannot boot on boot partition of size larger than 16GB.
    It wouldn't let me past the set up new device option & I couldn't get into the settings page using that trick at all, just wouldn't respond to swipe or touches anywhere.

Same problem here. I didn't try the restore from cloud option, because I wanted the tablet to stay offline for the moment. Luckily I know a few Android internals that help to get around this issue with the Setup Wizard. The wizard sets some flags, which you can do manually. After the Nook has booted and shows the Setup Wizard, simply connect it to your PC via USB, and start an ADB shell on the PC (luckily, USB debugging appears to be enabled by default, otherwise ADB wouldn't work).
    Then, in the ADB shell, enter these commands:
    Code:
    settings put global device_provisioned 1
    settings put secure user_setup_complete 1
    settings --cm put secure cm_setup_wizard_completed 1
    The last one obviously is a CM/LineageOS-specific setting, not sure if it's needed. Anyway, after entering this, the Setup Wizard will think it has run already, and can be bypassed by crashing it or rebooting.
    Hope that helps some people.
    To update LN 14.1 to the most recent build, do I have to repeat all the steps in the OP? I was hoping not to wipe/factory reset. Not able to update from Setting, says check for updates failed.
    To update to the most recent build of LN14.1, you'd need to just (re-)boot to the internal TWRP recovery and flash the new ROM build (wiping /cache is optional, and there is no need to flash new GApps as these Apps would get updated via Google Playstore update process whenever their new version get released).

Only updates to a new major release -- e.g., CM11 -> CM12, CM13 -> LN14, etc. -- necessitate full wipe & factory reset and GApps installation.

To downgrade to an older build you do have to do a fresh install with full wipe & factory reset and GApps re-installation. Hence, before updating to a new build, you should backup your current build for ease in reverting back to it in case you change your mind after the update.
    I understand that there's a risk since I did not do a original ROM backup.
    If you ever need/want to re-install stock ROM, see #6 of https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2062613.