• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[HOW TO] Installing LN14.1 Internally on Nook HD+

Search This thread

michealm1979

Sep 20, 2013
Did you install addonsu-14.1-arm.zip from amaces' portal https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww?

See the note re: enabling root at the end of my OP of this thread.

Completely forgot to flash it, had it on my SD but forgot to flash it, I feel like an idiot ... lol:good:

Well I tried flashing it, after I got home from work, and for this:
1ZLpkJ1.jpg

Same as using the zip from the LN website.

Last edited:

nux7osx

Sep 1, 2013
Hi,

Seems like I'm having some weird and difficult issues updating my Nook HD+ with either 5/20 Rom builds of both AOSP and LN. Firstly I cannot boot into TWRP 3.0.1.0 recovery, so I have to use CWM's recovery off my SD card. Once in CWM's recovery image, I can format my system, and install all the ZIP files: TWRP, AOSP Rom, OpenGapps. But once I reboot, I cannot boot off the system, I get stuck at the Cyanoboot splash screen. So I'm stuck there.

Also, I cannot install the latest LN Rom, system reboots in the middle of the install.

I did notice that I do see one error when using CWM's recovery, I cannot mount or unmount, or format the \Data folder.... other than that I get no error messages.

Any ideas?

Well I tried flashing it, after I got home from work, and for this:

Same as using the zip from the LN website.
Did you check to see if root access for apps is enabled and shows up in Settings->Developer Options->Root Access?

I got similar error messages when flashing the add-on zip file but root access for apps works.

Hi,

Seems like I'm having some weird and difficult issues updating my Nook HD+ with either 5/20 Rom builds of both AOSP and LN. Firstly I cannot boot into TWRP 3.0.1.0 recovery, so I have to use CWM's recovery off my SD card. Once in CWM's recovery image, I can format my system, and install all the ZIP files: TWRP, AOSP Rom, OpenGapps. But once I reboot, I cannot boot off the system, I get stuck at the Cyanoboot splash screen. So I'm stuck there.

Also, I cannot install the latest LN Rom, system reboots in the middle of the install.
Any ideas?
You can't use the older CWM to flash new AOSP7.x/LN14.x ROMs.

To boot into TWRP, hold down the N button while pressing power button to power on the Nook, then release it a second or two after the Cyanoboot Universal Bootloader screen appears.

edsib1

May 30, 2011
Manchester
Same problem here. I didn't try the restore from cloud option, because I wanted the tablet to stay offline for the moment. Luckily I know a few Android internals that help to get around this issue with the Setup Wizard. The wizard sets some flags, which you can do manually. After the Nook has booted and shows the Setup Wizard, simply connect it to your PC via USB, and start an ADB shell on the PC (luckily, USB debugging appears to be enabled by default, otherwise ADB wouldn't work).
Then, in the ADB shell, enter these commands:
Code:
settings put global device_provisioned 1
settings put secure user_setup_complete 1
settings --cm put secure cm_setup_wizard_completed 1
The last one obviously is a CM/LineageOS-specific setting, not sure if it's needed. Anyway, after entering this, the Setup Wizard will think it has run already, and can be bypassed by crashing it or rebooting.
Hope that helps some people.

Thanks for this. My nook hd+ kept crashing in setup on the screen after ticking the location box - and this workaround works a treat. This rom is great. Android 7 gives this 4year old tablet a real performance boost and coupled with the still good screen equals a very nice tablet for casual use.

Last edited:

Shepard4

Jun 20, 2017
Never mind it's a exact step by step. Worked perfectly! Thank you for making a easy guide to follow.

Last edited:

sacto7

Apr 18, 2015
Yes, my HD+ does that also.

My HD+ also does that even when I had the CWN installed. Think that I found a solution(?) that stops the restarts after the 1st restart. After the 1st restart I just press the power button, the boot menu(?) flashes & shutdowns down.

Will try the other way next time of holding down the button until some time after the boot menu appears.....

Also found that the led light didn't change from amber to green after the HD+ was fully charged.......

bru20

Mar 8, 2017
Just finished installing on my HD+, about three months after doing it on my HD. Everything seemed to go just fine. Have had the HD+ for so long I lost a bunch of apps, mostly from Amazon's free app of the day era. I can try reinstalling but the apps are so old I'm not sure how many will work. But now I have a tablet that actually will function, the HD+ with the stock ROM was almost unusable at its end.

It powers off the same as my HD. Have to long hold the power button, after the power off prompt comes and goes it shuts off fine.

So thanks again for the great tutorial. I do have a related question that maybe someone can help with. I have one more HD, brand new in box. I might as well install this and have another nice tablet. IIRC when I power it on for the first time it does a bunch of updates, I have to register it with B&N, etc. Any way to just go right to this? If I have the SD card in when I power it up for the first time, can I just go straight to this install?

Just finished installing on my HD+, about three months after doing it on my HD. Everything seemed to go just fine. Have had the HD+ for so long I lost a bunch of apps, mostly from Amazon's free app of the day era. I can try reinstalling but the apps are so old I'm not sure how many will work.
Once you reinstall the Amazon app and login, you should be able to find all your old free apps on your "Amazon cloud", with indication if they have new updates.
I do have a related question that maybe someone can help with. I have one more HD, brand new in box. I might as well install this and have another nice tablet. IIRC when I power it on for the first time it does a bunch of updates, I have to register it with B&N, etc. Any way to just go right to this? If I have the SD card in when I power it up for the first time, can I just go straight to this install?
Yes, the HD should boot straight to your bootable SD card.

MoltarRocks

Jul 19, 2017
I had this problem the other day...

Hi,

I did notice that I do see one error when using CWM's recovery, I cannot mount or unmount, or format the \Data folder.... other than that I get no error messages.

Any ideas?

I'm new to posting in the forum but recently bought a Nook HD+ off eBay and decided to join. The issue you may have is the SD card itself. When I first loaded one up, it didn't work. Then I realized it was old - really old - I think like a class 2 or 4. So, I found a newer one that's a 16GB class 10. That did the trick. Give it a try and see what happens. I've been happily using mine for a few days now.

Seems like I'm having some weird and difficult issues updating my Nook HD+ with either 5/20 Rom builds of both AOSP and LN. Firstly I cannot boot into TWRP 3.0.1.0 recovery, so I have to use CWM's recovery off my SD card.
To boot into the TWRP recovery you have to press and hold the Home button, then press and hold the Power button until after the CyanoBoot Universal Bootloader screen comes on, then release both buttons.
Once in CWM's recovery image, I can format my system, and install all the ZIP files: TWRP, AOSP Rom, OpenGapps. But once I reboot, I cannot boot off the system, I get stuck at the Cyanoboot splash screen. So I'm stuck there.

I did notice that I do see one error when using CWM's recovery ...
The old CWM recovery is not compatible with new AOSP/LN ROMs & GApps, you need to use new TWRP to flash them.

Shepard4

Jun 20, 2017
I have had my nook for a while now. But I am having a very sluggish and lagging tablet. And also sometime the rotation glitches and I have to press all over the screen to stop the screen tear. I know the nook hd+ is a old tablet, but I thought it would of been a little more quicker with Android 7.1.2 14.1-20170609.

Maybe it's my version I'm running.
Is marshmallow more stable and quicker then nougat?
Also if it is, where can I find older version of lineage?
One last question, if I was to downgrade my OS, would it be the same process as the first time I installed lineage following this guide?

Thanks in advance,

I have had my nook for a while now. But I am having a very sluggish and lagging tablet. And also sometime the rotation glitches and I have to press all over the screen to stop the screen tear. I know the nook hd+ is a old tablet, but I thought it would of been a little more quicker with Android 7.1.2 14.1-20170609.
I have the same experience with the current (0706) and most recent builds typically after the Nook just came out of idle/sleep.
Maybe it's my version I'm running.
Is marshmallow more stable and quicker then nougat?
Also if it is, where can I find older version of lineage?
Older builds are located at https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a...e&sortDirection=desc&pageSize=20&pageNumber=0.

You might want to try the older Nougat build 01/04 (https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a...e&sortDirection=desc&pageSize=20&pageNumber=1).
One last question, if I was to downgrade my OS, would it be the same process as the first time I installed lineage following this guide?
To downgrade, download the ROM and GApps zip files to your Nook, reboot to the internal TWRP recovery to do a "wipe & factory reset" and then flash the zip files.

To avoid the hassle of reinstalling Apps in potential future downgrades you should do a complete system+data backup of any build you deem good/stable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shepard4

Shepard4

Jun 20, 2017
Thank you for a detail reply. I will try that older version of Nougat then. Just wondering you said to boot to TWRP and wipe and factory reset. But do I use my SD card recovery with TWRP?

Thank you for a detail reply. I will try that older version of Nougat then. Just wondering you said to boot to TWRP and wipe and factory reset. But do I use my SD card recovery with TWRP?
Assuming that you had flashed/installed TWRP recovery onto your Nook (step #6 in my guide in the OP) you can simply reboot into it and use it in place of the SD-card TWRP recovery.

Shepard4

Jun 20, 2017
I am trying to restore it back to it's factory setting, I want the nook to be like when I first got it. I loaded the bootable sd card and then I did a wipe and then I did restore. After that I removed the sd card and pressed reboot system. Now the Nook is stuck on the Nook logo and it's keeps going there. I pressed the home bottom and it took me to TWRP without having a sd card. I thought I removed all traces of TWRP from the Nook, but I did not. I know I must be doing something wrong.

Please how do I restore the Nook to how it was when I took it from the box?

Update-
Nevermind I read your post in the beginning and read on how to restore.

Last edited:

fuzzychicken

Feb 20, 2014
Just wondering if I HAVE to use TWRP. I have CWM v6.0.4.6 installed and running CM11.xx (which is a PITA to use).

I have downloaded CM-flashable TWRP, but would love to know if must use it or CWM will work just fine.
If I have to use CM-flashable TWRP, I assume the installation procedure is just routine, select the zip through install option.

Just wondering if I HAVE to use TWRP. I have CWM v6.0.4.6 installed and running CM11.xx (which is a PITA to use).

I have downloaded CM-flashable TWRP, but would love to know if must use it or CWM will work just fine.
CWM v6.0.4.6 is not compatible with LN14.x (nor CM12/13/14).
If I have to use CM-flashable TWRP, I assume the installation procedure is just routine, select the zip through install option.
Yes.

Since your Nook is running CM11 you might want to consider using the procedure posted at https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/general/how-to-updating-nook-hd-internal-emmc-t3562818. A benefit of using SD-based installation/upgrade is to be able to backup your current ROM & Apps onto SD for ease in reverting back if need be.

Beware that a few people seemed to have run into issues with installing the most recent LN builds, hence if you run into the same issue you might consider trying the older build dated 01/07.

fuzzychicken

Feb 20, 2014
CWM v6.0.4.6 is not compatible with LN14.x (nor CM12/13/14).

Yes.

Since your Nook is running CM11 you might want to consider using the procedure posted at https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/general/how-to-updating-nook-hd-internal-emmc-t3562818. A benefit of using SD-based installation/upgrade is to be able to backup your current ROM & Apps onto SD for ease in reverting back if need be.

Beware that a few people seemed to have run into issues with installing the most recent LN builds, hence if you run into the same issue you might consider trying the older build dated 01/07.

Thanks mate, for your quick answer.
I was so impatient that I went ahead and flashed TWRP file that you linked and it worked flawlessly. If that impatience wasn't enough, I went ahead and flashed ROM and Gapps as well. Since my stars were good, that went well too. It was DW's tablet, so showed her and she was happy to see a quick response from the nook.

So all went well. Thanks for your contribution.

mattyyey

Mar 28, 2010
Manchester
So good its amost an unbricking guide!

I've just picked my semi-bricked nook (ovation) up after several months.... From what I remember I broke Gapps removing stuff, then flashed the wrong recovery. boot loop o joy lmfao Anyway then I followed this guide (as it uses boot from sd-card with links) to unbrick it. plain simple clear and concise. Thanks alot. :) :victory:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Caveat emptor: adopt/follow this guide at your own risk.

Below is a procedure that can be used to install amaces' LN14.1 (ref: https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/development/marshmallow-nook-hd-hd-t3239269) internally on a Nook HD+ :

1. Download sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz from amaces' repo https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/1/3332706778, unzip it (using e.g. 7-zip) and use win32diskimager to write the unzipped content sdcard-reco-ovation.img to a SD card.
    2. Download and copy to the same SD card:

3. Turn off the Nook, insert the SD card, and boot the Nook from its power-off state.
    4. [Optional] Make a backup of your stock ROM & Apps: to backup onto the Bootable Recovery SD card you'd need to make the boot partition on the SD card large enough to hold the backup of your stock ROM and its Apps -- see my post #7 below.
    5. Select "wipe data & factory reset".
    6. Select "install zip from SD card" and install TWRP recovery zip file.
    7. Select "install zip from SD card" and install LN14.1 zip file.
    8. Select "install zip from SD card" and install Gapps zip file.
    9. Remove SD card and select reboot.

Once the HD+ completes boot-up (be patient as the post-installation initial boot would take 3-5 min), set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info.

If you run into problems during initial setup:

- absence of WiFi network setup step: see this post
    - setup process crashes (as have been reported with some combos of ROM and GApps build versions): retry the clean install process with the sequence of steps # 5, #7 & #9 (i.e., skipping over step #8 flashing GApps) and complete the initial setup, then reboot into TWRP to flash GApps; see also https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=72104906&postcount=37 for solution for other setup crash causes.

To enable "Root", see https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=72185622&postcount=1915.

Notes
    - This procedure can also be used to install amaces' AOSP7.1 ROM (instead of his LN14.1 ROM).
    - If your HD+ is currently running CM11/12/13, see https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/general/how-to-updating-nook-hd-internal-emmc-t3562818 for an alternate procedure which does not require use of a SD card.

Please post any comment/question on the features or performance of AOSP & LN ROM builds on the Developer's thread at https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/development/marshmallow-nook-hd-hd-t3239269.
    Process for Creating a Bootable Recovery SD card for Nook HD+

[Caveat emptor: adopt/follow this guide at your own risk].

Below is the process for creating a Bootable Recovery SD card for flashing ROM/GApps/Recovery on a Nook HD+:

1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on a SD card a Primary FAT32 partition of size no larger than 16GB, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows.
    2. Use an archive file manager such as 7-zip and extract the .img file from amaces' sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz ( https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/1/3332706778 )
    3. Use the archive file manager to extract the files from the .img file and copy them to the SD card: first MLO, then the rest of the files u-boot.bin, uImage, kernel, ramdisk, ramdisk.cwm, ramdisk.stock, and the folder OLD.
    4. Copy to the SD card the flashable zip files for the ROM/GApps/Recovery/etc. that you'd want to install.

Notes
    The most common symptoms of failed SD boot and their likely causes are:
    • The HD+ boots straight to stock -- most likely the boot partition's type and/or flag are not correctly set, or the NT cannot find the MLO in the boot partition (make sure that MLO is the very first file to be copied to the freshly made /boot partition).

If the HD+ consistently boots straight to stock in spite of a valid /boot partition and boot files, it's possible that the tablet is one of those HD+ units that have difficulty booting of SD cards, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2288688 for more info and potential remedies.
    • The HD+ screen stays dark for seemingly a long time then eventually boots to stock -- most likely the MLO or u-boot.bin are corrupted. I have had this happen to me a few times in the process of extracting them from archive zip files.
    • The boot partition size is too large -- for some reason the HD+ cannot boot on boot partition of size larger than 16GB.
    It wouldn't let me past the set up new device option & I couldn't get into the settings page using that trick at all, just wouldn't respond to swipe or touches anywhere.

Same problem here. I didn't try the restore from cloud option, because I wanted the tablet to stay offline for the moment. Luckily I know a few Android internals that help to get around this issue with the Setup Wizard. The wizard sets some flags, which you can do manually. After the Nook has booted and shows the Setup Wizard, simply connect it to your PC via USB, and start an ADB shell on the PC (luckily, USB debugging appears to be enabled by default, otherwise ADB wouldn't work).
    Then, in the ADB shell, enter these commands:
    Code:
    settings put global device_provisioned 1
    settings put secure user_setup_complete 1
    settings --cm put secure cm_setup_wizard_completed 1
    The last one obviously is a CM/LineageOS-specific setting, not sure if it's needed. Anyway, after entering this, the Setup Wizard will think it has run already, and can be bypassed by crashing it or rebooting.
    Hope that helps some people.
    To update LN 14.1 to the most recent build, do I have to repeat all the steps in the OP? I was hoping not to wipe/factory reset. Not able to update from Setting, says check for updates failed.
    To update to the most recent build of LN14.1, you'd need to just (re-)boot to the internal TWRP recovery and flash the new ROM build (wiping /cache is optional, and there is no need to flash new GApps as these Apps would get updated via Google Playstore update process whenever their new version get released).

Only updates to a new major release -- e.g., CM11 -> CM12, CM13 -> LN14, etc. -- necessitate full wipe & factory reset and GApps installation.

To downgrade to an older build you do have to do a fresh install with full wipe & factory reset and GApps re-installation. Hence, before updating to a new build, you should backup your current build for ease in reverting back to it in case you change your mind after the update.
    I understand that there's a risk since I did not do a original ROM backup.
    If you ever need/want to re-install stock ROM, see #6 of https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2062613.