• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[HOW TO] Installing LN14.1 Internally on Nook HD+

Search This thread

bru20

Mar 8, 2017
Longshot but I am wondering if anyone who has modded their Nooks with this has installed the Vudu app and been able to log in to their account? Vudu app installs seemingly fine from the Play Store on both my HD and HD+ with 7.1.2 but I can't log in to my account on either. I get "login failed" on both. Vudu can't figure it out.

The Vudu app works fine on my phone which is Android 5.1.1. My login info is correct and I can log in to the Vudu website while on the tablets, just not the Vudu app. I don't use a VPN and I am on my home WiFi so there shouldn't be an IP blocking issue. Very puzzling.

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
installed the Vudu app and been able to log in to their account? Vudu app installs seemingly fine from the Play Store on both my HD and HD+ with 7.1.2 but I can't log in to my account on either. I get "login failed" on both. Vudu can't figure it out.

Same here with my HD+ and LN14.1.

Tried Vudu login and Walmart login. Both fail, no other error messages.

Someone needs a log to see if any errors are flagged.

bru20

Mar 8, 2017
Same here with my HD+ and LN14.1.

Tried Vudu login and Walmart login. Both fail, no other error messages.

Someone needs a log to see if any errors are flagged.
Thanks for checking. I'm always relieved when its not just me with an error but based on my conversation with Vudu and my limited knowledge of the situation I'm not very hopeful it gets resolved. What incompatibility could there be with what is a now generic Android tablet running a current version of the OS and the Vudu Android app? Makes no sense to me.

bru20

Mar 8, 2017
My guess is something in Google's SafetyNet that LOS is tripping.
That's a bummer. Vudu's line is the app isn't compatible with the hardware on the HD/HD+, which I don't think is true. Huge Vudu library and can't watch it on my tablets :( (I can watch it through their website with a Flash enabled mobile browser but not what I was hoping for).

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
That's a bummer. Vudu's line is the app isn't compatible with the hardware on the HD/HD+, which I don't think is true. Huge Vudu library and can't watch it on my tablets :( (I can watch it through their website with a Flash enabled mobile browser but not what I was hoping for).

Pretty sure it has worked fine on my HD on CM11 for quite a while. So I don't think it's the hardware.
It's installed, but I seldom use it. Screen too small ;) Even my laptop has a better screen and better sound.

Weird that the app launches (though I installed from a backup) and the login fails. That's not typical of a hardware issue.

bru20

Mar 8, 2017
Pretty sure it has worked fine on my HD on CM11 for quite a while. So I don't think it's the hardware.
It's installed, but I seldom use it. Screen too small ;) Even my laptop has a better screen and better sound.

Weird that the app launches (though I installed from a backup) and the login fails. That's not typical of a hardware issue.
That's my thought, not a hardware issue. My wife was travelling and I wanted her to be able to watch some movies. A tablet screen is small (the HD+ is pretty large as tablets go, no?) but its nice to have the option when mobile.

If I was more proficient I'd install CM11 to see if the Vudu app does work, as I'm sure everything else would be just fine for my needs as compared to LN14.1 Having installed 14.1 successfully on two tablets I don't want to push my luck.

If I was more proficient I'd install CM11 to see if the Vudu app does work, as I'm sure everything else would be just fine for my needs as compared to LN14.1 Having installed 14.1 successfully on two tablets I don't want to push my luck.
The process for installing CM11 (see https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2679899) is very similar to that of installing LN14.1. The challenge though is to locate downloadable copies of the CM11 ROM builds, since the CyanogenMod portals no longer in existence. If you're seriously tempted, I have saved some selected CM11 builds which I had used at one time or another at
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/6a4rivb8kkdfu/Nook_HD+. I'd suggest that you back up your current LN14.1 installation onto SD card for ease in reverting back to it.

As another shot in the dark, you might want to try some older versions of the Vudu apk which can be found on portals such as ApkMirror, ApkPure, UptoDown, etc.

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
Well. Vudu 5.3.160.4839 is NOT letting me login on my HD (CM 11-20160825-NIGHTLY).

I know an older version of the app did work. I wouldn't have kept the app installed otherwise.

But it's been 6 months maybe a year since I last used it.

Guess I need to try older versions and figure out when it broke. Then again, the could be sending device info and they are blocking the login at the server instead of the app.

PS, the HD is 7" and rather small.
The 9” HD+ is s but bigger but not big as far as tablets go.

My daughter's 10.1 is noticeably bigger than the HD+, but still small for movies.

Last edited:

JonyIve

Aug 31, 2017
I have a trouble to download...

This shared file or folder has been removed.

Please check the URL or contact the owner, as the shared link may have changed. You can also visit one of the following pages for help:

I can't connect your link... What should i do???

bru20

Mar 8, 2017
Well. Vudu 5.3.160.4839 is NOT letting me login on my HD (CM 11-20160825-NIGHTLY).

I know an older version of the app did work. I wouldn't have kept the app installed otherwise.

But it's been 6 months maybe a year since I last used it.

Guess I need to try older versions and figure out when it broke. Then again, the could be sending device info and they are blocking the login at the server instead of the app.

PS, the HD is 7" and rather small.
The 9” HD+ is s but bigger but not big as far as tablets go.

My daughter's 10.1 is noticeably bigger than the HD+, but still small for movies.
If you figure out which older version of the app works please post. In the meantime I may try and install some of the older versions of the Vudu app I have found. Some have versions for both "arm" and x86" architecture. I assume the former is the one to use?

And as for screen size, people watch movies on phones, those screens are obviously smaller than either Nook. I think either the HD or HD+ is fine for occasionally watching a video. Especially when travelling and you don't have your large screen TV in tow ;) .

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

I tried to install some older Vudu apps from apkmirror and I get the package is corrupt for any arm version and that the app is not compatible for any x86. So I guess that's that. No Vudu app on an Android 7 tablet.

And FWIW Vudu's response was that they do "not support devices that are rooted or modified beyond the manufacturers specifications. The app will not work properly on these devices, no way around it." Sounds like BS to me, but what do I know.

dosgringos

Jan 9, 2017
To update LN 14.1 to the most recent build, do I have to repeat all the steps in the OP? I was hoping not to wipe/factory reset. Not able to update from Setting, says check for updates failed.

Last edited:

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
To update LN 14.1 to the most recent build, do I have to repeat all the steps in the OP? I was hoping not to wipe/factory reset. Not able to update from Setting, says check for updates failed.
It's best too wipe all and start over.

But you can usually wipe caches and flash ROM and gapps.

But be prepared to wipe everything if you have issues after doing that.

Make sure you have good backups before doing anything.

To update to the most recent build of LN14.1, you'd need to just (re-)boot to the internal TWRP recovery and flash the new ROM build (wiping /cache is optional, and there is no need to flash new GApps as these Apps would get updated via Google Playstore update process whenever their new version get released).

Only updates to a new major release -- e.g., CM11 -> CM12, CM13 -> LN14, etc. -- necessitate full wipe & factory reset and GApps installation.

To downgrade to an older build you do have to do a fresh install with full wipe & factory reset and GApps re-installation. Hence, before updating to a new build, you should backup your current build for ease in reverting back to it in case you change your mind after the update.

Last edited:

myjess

Apr 15, 2007
I am updating lineage on my HD+ and wiped everything. Can get as far as the tick box to send stuff to lineage screen, and the screen goes nuts and the HD+ restarts. Tried with latest build too - same thing. I have just got further by multiplt presses on the next and am now in the home screen.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
Is anyone getting severe battery drain? I upgraded from CM10. I've checked BBS (rooted), used Battery Calibration, Greenify, ForceDoze, etc. and my battery still plummets. Is this because of weak hardware? It wasn't an issue with CM.

SamiRobo

Sep 14, 2015
Islamabad
file not available

there is not file available named: lnos_ovation-ota-NMF26Q.170104.zip in your shared folder, can I use 02B lnos_ovation-ota-NJH47F.171021?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Caveat emptor: adopt/follow this guide at your own risk.

Below is a procedure that can be used to install amaces' LN14.1 (ref: https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/development/marshmallow-nook-hd-hd-t3239269) internally on a Nook HD+ :

1. Download sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz from amaces' repo https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/1/3332706778, unzip it (using e.g. 7-zip) and use win32diskimager to write the unzipped content sdcard-reco-ovation.img to a SD card.
    2. Download and copy to the same SD card:

3. Turn off the Nook, insert the SD card, and boot the Nook from its power-off state.
    4. [Optional] Make a backup of your stock ROM & Apps: to backup onto the Bootable Recovery SD card you'd need to make the boot partition on the SD card large enough to hold the backup of your stock ROM and its Apps -- see my post #7 below.
    5. Select "wipe data & factory reset".
    6. Select "install zip from SD card" and install TWRP recovery zip file.
    7. Select "install zip from SD card" and install LN14.1 zip file.
    8. Select "install zip from SD card" and install Gapps zip file.
    9. Remove SD card and select reboot.

Once the HD+ completes boot-up (be patient as the post-installation initial boot would take 3-5 min), set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info.

If you run into problems during initial setup:

- absence of WiFi network setup step: see this post
    - setup process crashes (as have been reported with some combos of ROM and GApps build versions): retry the clean install process with the sequence of steps # 5, #7 & #9 (i.e., skipping over step #8 flashing GApps) and complete the initial setup, then reboot into TWRP to flash GApps; see also https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=72104906&postcount=37 for solution for other setup crash causes.

To enable "Root", see https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=72185622&postcount=1915.

Notes
    - This procedure can also be used to install amaces' AOSP7.1 ROM (instead of his LN14.1 ROM).
    - If your HD+ is currently running CM11/12/13, see https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/general/how-to-updating-nook-hd-internal-emmc-t3562818 for an alternate procedure which does not require use of a SD card.

Please post any comment/question on the features or performance of AOSP & LN ROM builds on the Developer's thread at https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/development/marshmallow-nook-hd-hd-t3239269.
    Process for Creating a Bootable Recovery SD card for Nook HD+

[Caveat emptor: adopt/follow this guide at your own risk].

Below is the process for creating a Bootable Recovery SD card for flashing ROM/GApps/Recovery on a Nook HD+:

1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on a SD card a Primary FAT32 partition of size no larger than 16GB, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows.
    2. Use an archive file manager such as 7-zip and extract the .img file from amaces' sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz ( https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/1/3332706778 )
    3. Use the archive file manager to extract the files from the .img file and copy them to the SD card: first MLO, then the rest of the files u-boot.bin, uImage, kernel, ramdisk, ramdisk.cwm, ramdisk.stock, and the folder OLD.
    4. Copy to the SD card the flashable zip files for the ROM/GApps/Recovery/etc. that you'd want to install.

Notes
    The most common symptoms of failed SD boot and their likely causes are:
    • The HD+ boots straight to stock -- most likely the boot partition's type and/or flag are not correctly set, or the NT cannot find the MLO in the boot partition (make sure that MLO is the very first file to be copied to the freshly made /boot partition).

If the HD+ consistently boots straight to stock in spite of a valid /boot partition and boot files, it's possible that the tablet is one of those HD+ units that have difficulty booting of SD cards, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2288688 for more info and potential remedies.
    • The HD+ screen stays dark for seemingly a long time then eventually boots to stock -- most likely the MLO or u-boot.bin are corrupted. I have had this happen to me a few times in the process of extracting them from archive zip files.
    • The boot partition size is too large -- for some reason the HD+ cannot boot on boot partition of size larger than 16GB.
    It wouldn't let me past the set up new device option & I couldn't get into the settings page using that trick at all, just wouldn't respond to swipe or touches anywhere.

Same problem here. I didn't try the restore from cloud option, because I wanted the tablet to stay offline for the moment. Luckily I know a few Android internals that help to get around this issue with the Setup Wizard. The wizard sets some flags, which you can do manually. After the Nook has booted and shows the Setup Wizard, simply connect it to your PC via USB, and start an ADB shell on the PC (luckily, USB debugging appears to be enabled by default, otherwise ADB wouldn't work).
    Then, in the ADB shell, enter these commands:
    Code:
    settings put global device_provisioned 1
    settings put secure user_setup_complete 1
    settings --cm put secure cm_setup_wizard_completed 1
    The last one obviously is a CM/LineageOS-specific setting, not sure if it's needed. Anyway, after entering this, the Setup Wizard will think it has run already, and can be bypassed by crashing it or rebooting.
    Hope that helps some people.
    To update to the most recent build of LN14.1, you'd need to just (re-)boot to the internal TWRP recovery and flash the new ROM build (wiping /cache is optional, and there is no need to flash new GApps as these Apps would get updated via Google Playstore update process whenever their new version get released).

Only updates to a new major release -- e.g., CM11 -> CM12, CM13 -> LN14, etc. -- necessitate full wipe & factory reset and GApps installation.

To downgrade to an older build you do have to do a fresh install with full wipe & factory reset and GApps re-installation. Hence, before updating to a new build, you should backup your current build for ease in reverting back to it in case you change your mind after the update.
    I understand that there's a risk since I did not do a original ROM backup.
    If you ever need/want to re-install stock ROM, see #6 of https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2062613.