• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[HOW TO] Installing LN14.1 Internally on Nook HD+

Search This thread

TGC-TECH

Dec 13, 2017
Thanks!

Just wanted to let you know that It works great, and is very easy to install on my nook HD+ 32gb

adorable

May 29, 2012
Went from stock HD+ to L14.1 following these steps. Only took a few minutes to download the files. Then used the post on formatting a usb drive to Fat32, primary, active (I used easeus partition tool, but anything else that can do this will work).

Extracted the boot img from the download, opened the img file using 7zip, dropped the MLO file into the empty drive first (so that the nook can boot from this), followed by the rest of the sdcard-reco-ovation.img contents. This was all done to use the entire flashdrive/sd card size - otherwise, it'll work, but you can't use or see the rest of the drive space until you wipe and format. I did this so I could backup the OEM nook partitions to the drive.before installing L.

Dropped the *.zip files for L, twrp, gapps pico in, stuck it in the nook and booted. Followed the first post instructions. In under half an hour, nice "new" tablet! Nice!!

Aside from having to dl nook apk from apkfun, everything's been working great w/o an issue or crash.

violetcu

Mar 13, 2018
I've been wanting to put android on my nook for YEARS because the orginal OS is just awful. Although I am completely a noob at this, I was able to install this perfectly. I am so happy right now. Thank you!

macevanscb

Feb 14, 2011
No files found

I guess I'm back to noobie again.
I'm trying to update a Nook HD+ from B&N stock (Android 4) to ln14.
I've been running CM10 forever on my other Nook HD and have no experience with TWRP 3.0.1. I'm lost.
Following the instructions at the beginning of this thread, I downloaded all the files, unzipped the image file, and since I'm on a Mac, used the Unix dd command to write the image to an empty 16gb micro SD card, which succeeded.
I copied the ROM, gapps, & recovery zips to the card and looked at the results. CM10 cards had four partitions: one for the boot files and another for the zip files I wanted to install. The new card only had one partition which had all the boot files in it plus the three zip files I copied into it.
The card booted fine in the HD+, but appears to have used the GI based recovery from the card itself instead of stock recovery... I assume this is normal.
But, no matter where I look the HD+ shows everything empty. I can't find the zip files to install. Whenever I look at external sd, it comes up empty [0B].
Help!

I guess I'm back to noobie again.
I'm trying to update a Nook HD+ from B&N stock (Android 4) to ln14.
I've been running CM10 forever on my other Nook HD and have no experience with TWRP 3.0.1. I'm lost.
Following the instructions at the beginning of this thread, I downloaded all the files, unzipped the image file, and since I'm on a Mac, used the Unix dd command to write the image to an empty 16gb micro SD card, which succeeded.
I copied the ROM, gapps, & recovery zips to the card and looked at the results. CM10 cards had four partitions: one for the boot files and another for the zip files I wanted to install. The new card only had one partition which had all the boot files in it plus the three zip files I copied into it.
The card booted fine in the HD+, but appears to have used the GI based recovery from the card itself instead of stock recovery... I assume this is normal.
But, no matter where I look the HD+ shows everything empty. I can't find the zip files to install. Whenever I look at external sd, it comes up empty [0B].
Help!
in step #1 if the image file was "written" properly to the SD card there should be only one bootable partition on the card (plus leftover storage space not allocated). In step #2 the zip files should be copied to the boot partition (created in step 1), otherwise you will not be able to find and install them.

macevanscb

Feb 14, 2011
No files found

Here is what I see if I open the OVATION sd card:
kernel
lnos_ovation-ota-NJH47F.171021.zip
MLO
OLD
open_gapps-arm-7.1-mini-20180427.zip
ramdisk
ramdisk.cwm
ramdisk.stock
twrp-3.0.1-0-ovation.zip
u-boot.bin
uImage

The info for the sd card is attached, I think.
I see exactly what you describe. And it boots.
I used dd on the mac to write the image to the card:

dougs-mini-2:MacSSD macevanscb$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *128.0 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS MacSSD 127.2 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
. . . . .
/dev/disk4
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *15.8 GB disk4
1: Windows_FAT_32 SD CARD 15.8 GB disk4s1
dougs-mini-2:MacSSD macevanscb$ sudo dd if=sdcard-reco-ovation.img of=/dev/rdisk4 bs=1024
921600+0 records in
921600+0 records out
943718400 bytes transferred in 1491.265899 secs (632830 bytes/sec)
dougs-mini-2:MacSSD macevanscb$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
0: GUID_partition_scheme *128.0 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS MacSSD 127.2 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
. . . . .
/dev/disk4
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *15.8 GB disk4
1: Windows_FAT_32 OVATION 900.0 MB disk4s1

Attachments

• ovation.jpg
    ovation.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 59

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
You were running CM10 from SD, hence the extra partitions. The new one is just for booting and installing recovery to the tablet.

After you boot the SD the zips should be on what it calls internal.

Install the new recovery. Eject the card and boot to the recovery you just installed.

Then insert the SD and install OS zips from it (will now be external SD card as you booted internal)

Reactions: macevanscb

macevanscb

Feb 14, 2011
No files found

AHHH..... Now I understand.
That made total sense.
My Nook HD+ is now booting LN14.1.
So TWRP made a HUGE change going from Clockwork 2 to Clockwork 3????
Going from absolute to relative disk names????
Close this one out... Thanks ST DOG!!!!!

Ladyslayer

May 23, 2017
I installed AOSP 7.1 on my nook HD. It installed fine, but I can't get the home or overview button to work. The back button works fine. The play store i installed with microgapps also hangs at download pending when I try to install an app unless I revert the play store back to factory version but then it will automatically update itself. I didn't try uninstalling play store updates with pico gapps but I assume it would have the same problem. Also, in apps that are full screen, I can't swipe up to see the navigation bar. I also can't pull the qs shade down twice unless there is a notification, but I can't read the notification anyway.

[EDIT]: I installed lineage os 14.1 and everything is working fine, except for I still have to install the play store and test if it works.

Last edited:

exhausted2

Aug 30, 2018
@digixmax
Nice work and thank you. I updated my HD+ from CM11 which I thought I would be stuck at forever. Smooth/easy installation using your instructions from page 1.

rufnek2kx

Nov 11, 2013
Thanks for the update. I've updated one of my Nook HD+ to the new Ln14.1. I also updated the TWRP to latest version too.

One thing I was hoping this would fix but hasn't, whenever I turn my nook off, it stays off for a few seconds (say 15-30) then automatically boots up again. It'll do this regardless of if I have it on charge or not, until the battery runs down and then it stays off. Does anyone know what might be causing this issue and how I can fix it? Thanks.

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
whenever I turn my nook off, it stays off for a few seconds (say 15-30) then automatically boots up again.

Long standing issue. No one has found a fix yet.

I forgot all the workarounds (mine is never off) but I think one is boot to recovery and turn off from there (maybe with button instead of menu).

Maybe long press the power button (10s) when it tries to reboot. Search the forum here if those don't work. I know workarounds were posted.

bru20

Mar 8, 2017
Thanks for the update. I've updated one of my Nook HD+ to the new Ln14.1. I also updated the TWRP to latest version too.

One thing I was hoping this would fix but hasn't, whenever I turn my nook off, it stays off for a few seconds (say 15-30) then automatically boots up again. It'll do this regardless of if I have it on charge or not, until the battery runs down and then it stays off. Does anyone know what might be causing this issue and how I can fix it? Thanks.

I forgot all the workarounds (mine is never off) but I think one is boot to recovery and turn off from there (maybe with button instead of menu).

Maybe long press the power button (10s) when it tries to reboot. Search the forum here if those don't work. I know workarounds were posted.
Actually the "fix" has been posted for quite a while.

Long press the power button. The normal log off screen will come up as usual but keep pressing and the tablet will shut off. At least thats how we shut ours off after installing LN. Works every time.

bru20

Mar 8, 2017

That's not a fix, it's a workaround.

A fix would allow the shutdown function to work as designed, as it did on stock, as it did in CM10 and 11, as it does on other devices.
Workaround, fix, whatever its called it solves his issue of how to get his Nook to shut off. You couldn't remember, but I did so I answered his question.

Reactions: rufnek2kx

rufnek2kx

Nov 11, 2013
Actually the "fix" has been posted for quite a while.

Long press the power button. The normal log off screen will come up as usual but keep pressing and the tablet will shut off. At least thats how we shut ours off after installing LN. Works every time.

Thanks dude. My extended battery life and increased resale value are extremely grateful. :good::good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Caveat emptor: adopt/follow this guide at your own risk.

Below is a procedure that can be used to install amaces' LN14.1 (ref: https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/development/marshmallow-nook-hd-hd-t3239269) internally on a Nook HD+ :

1. Download sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz from amaces' repo https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/1/3332706778, unzip it (using e.g. 7-zip) and use win32diskimager to write the unzipped content sdcard-reco-ovation.img to a SD card.
    2. Download and copy to the same SD card:

3. Turn off the Nook, insert the SD card, and boot the Nook from its power-off state.
    4. [Optional] Make a backup of your stock ROM & Apps: to backup onto the Bootable Recovery SD card you'd need to make the boot partition on the SD card large enough to hold the backup of your stock ROM and its Apps -- see my post #7 below.
    5. Select "wipe data & factory reset".
    6. Select "install zip from SD card" and install TWRP recovery zip file.
    7. Select "install zip from SD card" and install LN14.1 zip file.
    8. Select "install zip from SD card" and install Gapps zip file.
    9. Remove SD card and select reboot.

Once the HD+ completes boot-up (be patient as the post-installation initial boot would take 3-5 min), set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info.

If you run into problems during initial setup:

- absence of WiFi network setup step: see this post
    - setup process crashes (as have been reported with some combos of ROM and GApps build versions): retry the clean install process with the sequence of steps # 5, #7 & #9 (i.e., skipping over step #8 flashing GApps) and complete the initial setup, then reboot into TWRP to flash GApps; see also https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=72104906&postcount=37 for solution for other setup crash causes.

To enable "Root", see https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=72185622&postcount=1915.

Notes
    - This procedure can also be used to install amaces' AOSP7.1 ROM (instead of his LN14.1 ROM).
    - If your HD+ is currently running CM11/12/13, see https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/general/how-to-updating-nook-hd-internal-emmc-t3562818 for an alternate procedure which does not require use of a SD card.

Please post any comment/question on the features or performance of AOSP & LN ROM builds on the Developer's thread at https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/development/marshmallow-nook-hd-hd-t3239269.
    Process for Creating a Bootable Recovery SD card for Nook HD+

[Caveat emptor: adopt/follow this guide at your own risk].

Below is the process for creating a Bootable Recovery SD card for flashing ROM/GApps/Recovery on a Nook HD+:

1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on a SD card a Primary FAT32 partition of size no larger than 16GB, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows.
    2. Use an archive file manager such as 7-zip and extract the .img file from amaces' sdcard-reco-ovation.img.xz ( https://notredame.app.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww/1/3332706778 )
    3. Use the archive file manager to extract the files from the .img file and copy them to the SD card: first MLO, then the rest of the files u-boot.bin, uImage, kernel, ramdisk, ramdisk.cwm, ramdisk.stock, and the folder OLD.
    4. Copy to the SD card the flashable zip files for the ROM/GApps/Recovery/etc. that you'd want to install.

Notes
    The most common symptoms of failed SD boot and their likely causes are:
    • The HD+ boots straight to stock -- most likely the boot partition's type and/or flag are not correctly set, or the NT cannot find the MLO in the boot partition (make sure that MLO is the very first file to be copied to the freshly made /boot partition).

If the HD+ consistently boots straight to stock in spite of a valid /boot partition and boot files, it's possible that the tablet is one of those HD+ units that have difficulty booting of SD cards, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2288688 for more info and potential remedies.
    • The HD+ screen stays dark for seemingly a long time then eventually boots to stock -- most likely the MLO or u-boot.bin are corrupted. I have had this happen to me a few times in the process of extracting them from archive zip files.
    • The boot partition size is too large -- for some reason the HD+ cannot boot on boot partition of size larger than 16GB.
    It wouldn't let me past the set up new device option & I couldn't get into the settings page using that trick at all, just wouldn't respond to swipe or touches anywhere.

Same problem here. I didn't try the restore from cloud option, because I wanted the tablet to stay offline for the moment. Luckily I know a few Android internals that help to get around this issue with the Setup Wizard. The wizard sets some flags, which you can do manually. After the Nook has booted and shows the Setup Wizard, simply connect it to your PC via USB, and start an ADB shell on the PC (luckily, USB debugging appears to be enabled by default, otherwise ADB wouldn't work).
    Then, in the ADB shell, enter these commands:
    Code:
    settings put global device_provisioned 1
    settings put secure user_setup_complete 1
    settings --cm put secure cm_setup_wizard_completed 1
    The last one obviously is a CM/LineageOS-specific setting, not sure if it's needed. Anyway, after entering this, the Setup Wizard will think it has run already, and can be bypassed by crashing it or rebooting.
    Hope that helps some people.
    To update LN 14.1 to the most recent build, do I have to repeat all the steps in the OP? I was hoping not to wipe/factory reset. Not able to update from Setting, says check for updates failed.
    To update to the most recent build of LN14.1, you'd need to just (re-)boot to the internal TWRP recovery and flash the new ROM build (wiping /cache is optional, and there is no need to flash new GApps as these Apps would get updated via Google Playstore update process whenever their new version get released).

Only updates to a new major release -- e.g., CM11 -> CM12, CM13 -> LN14, etc. -- necessitate full wipe & factory reset and GApps installation.

To downgrade to an older build you do have to do a fresh install with full wipe & factory reset and GApps re-installation. Hence, before updating to a new build, you should backup your current build for ease in reverting back to it in case you change your mind after the update.
    I understand that there's a risk since I did not do a original ROM backup.
    If you ever need/want to re-install stock ROM, see #6 of https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2062613.