[HOW-TO][Linux] Root Sprint Optimus G

Search This thread

jat255

Oct 11, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Hey everyone,

Thought I'd throw this out there if someone is searching for it. I was able to root my Sprint optimus g using bin4ry's root method over adb. That way there's no need to use a windows vm if you run linux (I'm on Ubuntu 12.04). Here's a step-by-step that should hopefully help people that might not be comfortable trying it out otherwise. It doesn't cause you any data loss, and works even after the post-launch OTA pushed by Sprint.

Original source and credit to Bin4ry: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

0) Enable USB debugging (System settings > Developer options > USB debugging) and Unknown sources (System settings > Security > Unknown sources)
1) Download bin4ry root tools: here
2) Extract the zip file to somewhere.
3) Open up a terminal in that same folder and make everything you need executable:
Code:
chmod 755 RunMe.sh ./stuff/*
4) Make sure that your adb server is running alright (sudo so we don't have to mess with udev rules):
Code:
sudo ./stuff/adb kill-server
sudo ./stuff/adb start-server
5) Plug in your phone and verify that you can connect to it (you should see your phone listed as "device", not "???????????????"):
Code:
./stuff/adb devices
6) Run the root tool:
Code:
./RunMe.sh
7) Type 1 for "Normal mode"
8) When it asks you to, press the "Restore" button on your phone
9) Wait for device to reboot
10) Congratulations! You have root! Wasn't that easy?

EDIT: Fixed a typo in step five. Also, make sure that you use v15 of the bin4ry exploit. Apparently the newest v17 does not work (thanks m2xtreme!)

Last edited:

mdubs

Apr 15, 2010
Damn. I didn't see this until I had already dug out the windows box to root this thing. Thanks for posting all the same.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda premium

Salsathe4th

Jan 8, 2011
i know i'm a noob with ubuntu but how do i open a terminal in that folder? cause i opened the terminal program and copied the text you have but it doesnt work. haha sorry that i'm stupid

edit: nevermind i got it, i guess i wasnt that stupid afterall

Last edited:

m2xtreme

Sep 5, 2010
First off, thank you for posting this. Most of the info out there that I have found has been Windows only :crying:

I found a minor error with the procedure where it says:

5) Plug in your phone and verify that you can connect to it (you should see your phone listed as "device", not "???????????????"):
Code:
./adb devices

Assuming you stay in the root of the folder the command should really be:

Code:
./stuff/adb devices

Also, I tried this procedure using version v17 of Bin4ry's script and it did not work! The OP links to version v15 so you should use that until the regression in the script is corrected, hopefully by the next version!

jat255

Oct 11, 2010
Washington, D.C.
First off, thank you for posting this. Most of the info out there that I have found has been Windows only :crying:

Code:
./stuff/adb devices

Also, I tried this procedure using version v17 of Bin4ry's script and it did not work! The OP links to version v15 so you should use that until the regression in the script is corrected, hopefully by the next version!

Thanks! OP updated.

rhlowe

Dec 18, 2012
Austin
Would it follow that this would work on any Unix style system specifically OS X?

Edit: Nevermind, I installed VirtualBox and Ubuntu and rooted it that way, pretty much went flawlessly.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

jat255

Oct 11, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Would it follow that this would work on any Unix style system specifically OS X?

Edit: Nevermind, I installed VirtualBox and Ubuntu and rooted it that way, pretty much went flawlessly.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda app-developers app

Glad you got it to work out. Don't quote me on it, but I don't see why this shouldn't work in OS X. You will have to get adb for mac, since the one included in the zip file is a linux binary. If you have adb set up and it can recognize your device, you should be all set b/c OS X can execute shell scripts no problem. Just put the Mac adb binary in the 'stuff' folder (or a link to it) so it uses the right program.

nowashburn

Jul 26, 2012
stuck

mine is stuck on:

If all is successful i will tell you, if not this shell will run forever.
Running ...

what to do?

jat255

Oct 11, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Hmm, not sure. Are you using v15 of the exploit? Also, if you installed the latest OTA from Sprint (zv9), this won't work.

jat255

Oct 11, 2010
Washington, D.C.
I think the only way is to use lgnpst and go back to a pre-OTA version. The guys on the irc could help you out with that, since I'm not sure how it works.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone,

Thought I'd throw this out there if someone is searching for it. I was able to root my Sprint optimus g using bin4ry's root method over adb. That way there's no need to use a windows vm if you run linux (I'm on Ubuntu 12.04). Here's a step-by-step that should hopefully help people that might not be comfortable trying it out otherwise. It doesn't cause you any data loss, and works even after the post-launch OTA pushed by Sprint.

Original source and credit to Bin4ry: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

0) Enable USB debugging (System settings > Developer options > USB debugging) and Unknown sources (System settings > Security > Unknown sources)
    1) Download bin4ry root tools: here
    2) Extract the zip file to somewhere.
    3) Open up a terminal in that same folder and make everything you need executable:
    Code:
    chmod 755 RunMe.sh ./stuff/*
    4) Make sure that your adb server is running alright (sudo so we don't have to mess with udev rules):
    Code:
    sudo ./stuff/adb kill-server
    sudo ./stuff/adb start-server
    Code:
    ./stuff/adb devices
    6) Run the root tool:
    Code:
    ./RunMe.sh
    7) Type 1 for "Normal mode"
    8) When it asks you to, press the "Restore" button on your phone
    9) Wait for device to reboot
    10) Congratulations! You have root! Wasn't that easy?

EDIT: Fixed a typo in step five. Also, make sure that you use v15 of the bin4ry exploit. Apparently the newest v17 does not work (thanks m2xtreme!)

Code:
    ./adb devices

Code:
    ./stuff/adb devices