How To Make A Rom or "How To Backup" Your Installed Apps and Features, For Personal Use, Or Sharing~!

Search This thread
No longer works!

The version off the wayback machine doesnt work to flash lineage, so I have the original I will share soon

I found all the old original firmwares 8.+ on nvidia's gameworks dev portal, making flashable mirrors now, will be on a new streamlined guide.... linked here..
Therefore, THIS Thread IS OUTDATED
REPLACES THIS​

Last edited:

dynamic.toni69

Feb 20, 2015
THIS IS OUTDATED
REPLACES THIS
===================================
How To Make A ROM.
==========================
=================
====
Here's the Source Code For The Three Roms I'm Releasing...
Run erase all partitions, then Recovery.bat
This includes the developer's partitions from Nvidia and all the tools needed to get root, I.E, TWRP, Magisk...
Run erase all partitions, Then Shieldroot.bat, then reboot into the bootloader, load twrp, and flash Magisk, etc
Run erase all partitions, Then Shieldroot.bat, then reboot into the bootloader, load twrp, and flash Magisk, etc

This includes everything as we Used in the Very first Rooting method, but with all files involved, updated.
Note that Lineage does Not support a lot of the functionality that Nvidia's Stock Rom does~!
But gives you more privacy, so to each their own~~!

===========================================

THIS Is an untested Lineage Micro-G build that operates under the theory, that if you have a booting shield, and you only want to use Lineage, you can boot into twrp and just flash lineage. The source code can be used in other similar methods for lineage, just replace the files.
In order to maintain the project, you should ensure you have the latest images, for whatever build you are going for.
Check the sites listed below for any fresh uploads~!
You need to sign up for a developer account, and then using this link you will have access to Nvidia's latest Image Releases.
Select ARM 64, your choice of android version, your choice of tv mini or the tv stock.
You would then Flash as Normal any images, Custom apps, Launcher etc to your system. Build your Rom with stuff you like.

MAKE SURE TO LOG OUT OF ALL ACCOUNTS ON THE DEVICE BEFORE SHARING OR SAVING ANYWHERE~!

The best way to protect yourself is to never login to any ROM you plan to share OR store for personal use on the Cloud or even on hardware... Learn how to flash your apps in the build process.....

When your build is complete, open TWRP and save your file.

Since TWRP is open you should have an Option for the shield posting in file manager
Which will make it easier to retrieve your new images with all your custom apps installed, to share to us~!
I will not be Actively releasing Updates On These Roms~!

These will Just be a resource for anyone willing to takeover~!

Please Feel Free To Use The Tools However You Choose~!

Start a hustle, maybe make a site for your roms, youtube channel, etc~!

You could even port These Tools to another version of Shield with the correct images and code adjustments.
If you Ever have a question, ask on here... I don't get my Youtube Comments for whatever reason~! ....Probably Karma ;-) but Anyway.. I will be More than Happy to Help~!

Love You Guys,

Jen
Hi, in your video you said there are many ways to root. I'm looking for permanent root without magisk. Is there a way to achieve this? If not then maybe another way without magisk? Tried SuperSU 2.82 but get boot loops. Anyways thanks in advance:)

Hi, in your video you said there are many ways to root. I'm looking for permanent root without magisk. Is there a way to achieve this? If not then maybe another way without magisk? Tried SuperSU 2.82 but get boot loops. Anyways thanks in advance:)
Essentially getting "root" involves being able to have read and write access on said device. one way to do that on the shield, you can use the developer firmware released by nvidia themselves. Every firmware shared on this page has full read write access (root), no magisk required https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...rmware-ever-mirrored-and-flash-ready.4495713/

If you mean you need another "root manager" as in magisk or supersu, then you may be SOL as magisk was created by topjohnwu to thwart new security advancements in the later androids that supersu is obsolete for

Last edited:

dynamic.toni69

Feb 20, 2015
Essentially getting "root" involves being able to have read and write access on said device. one way to do that on the shield, you can use the developer firmware released by nvidia themselves. Every firmware shared on this page has full read write access (root), no magisk required https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...rmware-ever-mirrored-and-flash-ready.4495713/

If you mean you need another "root manager" as in magisk or supersu, then you may be SOL as magisk was created by topjohnwu to thwart new security advancements in the later androids that supersu is obsolete for
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I have tried the "rooted" images from Nvidia straight outta they site and when I use a root checker app it says not rooted. Are the images that you are sharing different? Are they really rooted? Let me know and I will try them out:).
Thanks in advance.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I have tried the "rooted" images from Nvidia straight outta they site and when I use a root checker app it says not rooted. Are the images that you are sharing different? Are they really rooted? Let me know and I will try them out:).
Thanks in advance.
A root checker app won't work properly without a Root Manager that is appropriate for your device. Magisk is the only working root manager I am aware of for the shield. Magisk has the built in Super User request screen that is called upon when you first open a Root Checking app. Without Magisk, you cannot grant the Root checking app SU access, it will not be able to ask you for Superuser Privledges.

As far as whether or not the images are the same as yours depends if you specifically downloaded the developer edition or the recovery stock. The ones I shared are the Developer edition, meaning they are full read + write (root), meaning you could hop into an adb shell as SU and modify any files or folders at will. No need to have a root checker to see the root for that step. Root checker only checks for a SU manager, if no Magisk, no SU manager, but that Does Not Mean no Root.

Hopefully I explained that okay

Learned all this the hard way last year when toying around. Had never heard of magisk before and kept trying to get supersu to work but it won't with this version of android, have to use magisk if you want to be able to grant root apps superuser access

Last edited:

dynamic.toni69

Feb 20, 2015
A root checker app won't work properly without a Root Manager that is appropriate for your device. Magisk is the only working root manager I am aware of for the shield. Magisk has the built in Super User request screen that is called upon when you first open a Root Checking app. Without Magisk, you cannot grant the Root checking app SU access, it will not be able to ask you for Superuser Privledges.

As far as whether or not the images are the same as yours depends if you specifically downloaded the developer edition or the recovery stock. The ones I shared are the Developer edition, meaning they are full read + write (root), meaning you could hop into an adb shell as SU and modify any files or folders at will. No need to have a root checker to see the root for that step. Root checker only checks for a SU manager, if no Magisk, no SU manager, but that Does Not Mean no Root.

Learned all this the hard way last year when toying around. Had never heard of magisk before and kept trying to get supersu to work but it won't with this version of android, have to use magisk if you want to be able to grant root apps superuser access
Ugh why you gotta be so polite lol. Your reply is very clear and I'm very happy you answer everyone here with such respect. After reading this I have no more need to download the developer rom as I have 9.1 rooted. If you ever make a custom rom for the shield I will be checking back once in a while for that. Anyways you saved me a lot of time with your reply. Thank you very much again for your help:)

Reactions: jenneh
I wanted to link this so I have it somewhere incase I needed it, but for anyone interested in another reason why supersu is no longer trusted by the community is that chainfire is no longer involved in the development, hasnt been in years, and it is widely believed that even supersu for older devices may not be safe anymore. Not because of chainfire but the sketch company that took over. This thread, although not specifically about supersu, goes into it in the comments section with details i hadn't heard before
just for knowledge for anyone else interested

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS OUTDATED
    REPLACES THIS
    ===================================
    How To Make A ROM.
    ==========================
    =================
    ====
    Here's the Source Code For The Three Roms I'm Releasing...
    Run erase all partitions, then Recovery.bat
    This includes the developer's partitions from Nvidia and all the tools needed to get root, I.E, TWRP, Magisk...

This includes everything as we Used in the Very first Rooting method, but with all files involved, updated.
    Note that Lineage does Not support a lot of the functionality that Nvidia's Stock Rom does~!
    But gives you more privacy, so to each their own~~!

===========================================

THIS Is an untested Lineage Micro-G build that operates under the theory, that if you have a booting shield, and you only want to use Lineage, you can boot into twrp and just flash lineage. The source code can be used in other similar methods for lineage, just replace the files.
    In order to maintain the project, you should ensure you have the latest images, for whatever build you are going for.
    Check the sites listed below for any fresh uploads~!
    You need to sign up for a developer account, and then using this link you will have access to Nvidia's latest Image Releases.
    Select ARM 64, your choice of android version, your choice of tv mini or the tv stock.
    gapps.png
    You would then Flash as Normal any images, Custom apps, Launcher etc to your system. Build your Rom with stuff you like.

MAKE SURE TO LOG OUT OF ALL ACCOUNTS ON THE DEVICE BEFORE SHARING OR SAVING ANYWHERE~!

The best way to protect yourself is to never login to any ROM you plan to share OR store for personal use on the Cloud or even on hardware... Learn how to flash your apps in the build process.....

When your build is complete, open TWRP and save your file.

twrp.jpeg
    Since TWRP is open you should have an Option for the shield posting in file manager
    shieldsave.png
    Which will make it easier to retrieve your new images with all your custom apps installed, to share to us~!
    I will not be Actively releasing Updates On These Roms~!

These will Just be a resource for anyone willing to takeover~!

Please Feel Free To Use The Tools However You Choose~!

Start a hustle, maybe make a site for your roms, youtube channel, etc~!

You could even port These Tools to another version of Shield with the correct images and code adjustments.
    If you Ever have a question, ask on here... I don't get my Youtube Comments for whatever reason~! ....Probably Karma ;-) but Anyway.. I will be More than Happy to Help~!

Love You Guys,

Jen
    All dls working~! Forgot to update this xD
    @janneh I erased all partitions and flashed all by batch, but I have boot loop, any suggestion?
    Hi,
    You mentioned to wrong person.
    Correct one is @jenneh
    Sorry for been dumb Jen
    You're not dumb. Being dumb would be unwilling to learn, or unwilling try to understand more about these things. Your effort in asking these questions started a chain reaction and now anyone that sees this thread of posts will have to acknowledge that this happened because of your drive to ask.

Your drive illustrates that you are far more knowledgeable and capable than you give yourself credit for. You're awesome, you Can do Anything you apply yourself to. Don't put up with Doubt from ANYONE, let alone Yourself.

Ugh why you gotta be so polite lol. Your reply is very clear and I'm very happy you answer everyone here with such respect. After reading this I have no more need to download the developer rom as I have 9.1 rooted. If you ever make a custom rom for the shield I will be checking back once in a while for that. Anyways you saved me a lot of time with your reply. Thank you very much again for your help:)