[How-To] Make custom bootscreen/bootlogo (image to rle)/(rle to image)

Search This thread

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
hey guys since i was getting so many requests to make custom bootscreens/bootlogo, and lots of ppl asking me how to do this i am making this how to...

it took some time for me to get all this info and tools in one place and make it easy to use...

[ INTRO ]

• this little how-to/tutorial will cover points on how to convert between image files and (static) bootscreen/bootlogo files (initlogo.rle/logo.rle)
  • THIS WILL NOT COVER INFO ON HOW TO INTEGRATE IT IN CUSTOM boot.img, i will add this later cause it requires different tools
  • initlogo.rle/logo.rle are image files which are in the integrated ramdisk in custom kernel boot.img
  • these .rle files are shown during booting of the custom kernel (boot.img)
  • if u want to remove showing of these images then just delete the initlogo.rle/logo.rle from the ramdisk
  • if u want to change it to the image that u want then follow this tutorial
  • after creating the .rle files u will need to rename the files to initlogo.rle / logo.rle and place it within extracted ramdisk folder then repack the ramdisk and then repack it with kernel (zimage) using proper boot address and specific command line parameters

[ CREDITS ]

• makers of 5652rgb, to565 for freely providing the sources!
  • ImageMagick for the brilliant convert.exe tool
  • me for creating the cygwin binaries and batch files & making it little simple to use ;)

[ REQUIREMENTS ]

1. windows PC (u can find compatible linux tools if u search online)
  2. this package ;)
  3. correct resolution images (check post #2 for details)

[ WHATS INSIDE? ]

the package i have provided has:
  1. precompiled cygwin binaries for
    • 5652rgb
    • to565
  2. convert.exe from ImageMagick-6.7.0-Q16-windows
  3. all required dlls for standalone installations
  4. easy to use batch files i made
    • convert_image_to_rle.bat
    • convert_rle_to_image.bat

[ HOW TO USE? ]

1. Converting any image to rle file
    • open command prompt and browse to folder with those bat files
    • execute:
      Code:
      convert_image_to_rle.bat <path_to_image_file>
    • the <path_to_image_file>.raw file and <path_to_image_file>.rle file will be created at the same location as <path_to_image_file>
  2. Converting any rle to image file
    • execute:
      Code:
      convert_rle_to_image.bat <path_to_rle_file>
    • the <path_to_rle_file>.raw file and <path_to_rle_file>.png file will be created at the same location as <path_to_rle_file>

[ ADDITIONAL INFO ]

the batch files i have made are specific to X10 screen resolution (480x854) if u need to use it for another device just edit the convert_rle_to_image.bat file and changed this like
Code:
 [user=220077]@bin[/user]\convert -depth 8 -size 480x854 rgb:%1.raw %1.png

[ DOWNLOAD LINK ]

boot_screen_logo_creation_package.rar

[ REFERENCES ]

Last edited:

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
aZuZu has uploaded newer tools!!!

new version of custom boot image toolkit is up!
minor fixes ...
added image to android logo & android logo to image ( external tools ) ( cygwin again! god damn! )

working on new ramdisk handle procedure ... soon will be fixed

thanks DooMLoRD for finding tools :D

get them here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1090217

[ INFO ON SCREEN RESOLUTIONS ]

the resolution of the image to use depends on ur the capabilities of ur device
following is a list of the resolutions
  • QVGA (320×240)
  • WQVGA (432×240)
  • HVGA (480×320)
  • VGA (640×480)
  • WVGA (800×480)
  • FWVGA (854×480)

Last edited:

pouxonu

Aug 29, 2010
For some reason it isn't working on my computer, I have no clue why .Running everything exact ,but it could be my phone .Does any one have some spare time to whip one up for me? Any help would be greatly appriciated

lopman

Jul 19, 2011
Does not work it creates a rle file on 0.00kb

Sent from my X8 using XDA App

pouxonu

Aug 29, 2010
getting a bit farther but it tries to take my image to rle but it says it can't find the file

any chance there could be a bit more noobish instructions to follow or is there any way to set it up like the moto devices could with a logo.bin file

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
getting a bit farther but it tries to take my image to rle but it says it can't find the file

any chance there could be a bit more noobish instructions to follow or is there any way to set it up like the moto devices could with a logo.bin file

make sure that there are no spaces in the path to the image file... best way is to place the image file in the same folder as the batch files

Reactions: pratyush.creed

pouxonu

Aug 29, 2010
for exapmle how should this be typed. I have the set up in my c drive near my sdk

convert_image_to_rle.bat

Program Files_Android_boot_screen_logo_creation_package

does all that need to be together with underscores? And do I need the name of the image?

ayyu3m

Oct 19, 2007
System Error
i found draging and droping the logo.rle on top of "convert_rle_to_image.bat" did the trick for me. before it was giving some errors.

jus shared my find.

Reactions: Caunsidh

a.monteiro

Nov 7, 2010
i'm making a bootscreen, anyone know what's the name of xda developer's font or can share it, please?

i found draging and droping the logo.rle on top of "convert_rle_to_image.bat" did the trick for me. before it was giving some errors.

jus shared my find.

i did a drag and drop and it seems to have worked, now i'm totally lost in what to do next :p

Last edited:

Pawnty

Sep 30, 2010
Doomlord... you are a miracle worker XD even when I'm not looking for something for my X10 you seem to solve all my problems XD

weaponXandroid

Jan 10, 2011
Mumbai
Hi DooM bro,
How to cpio.gz the ramdisk folder after editing it?
I tried the azuzu tool but i get error.
Any other way?
Linux, windows, anything any other script? Or can u gz the ramdisk for me?

Last edited:

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Hi Doom bro,
How to cpio.gz the ramdisk folder after editing it?
I tried the azuzu tool but i get error.
Any other way?
Linux, windows, anything any other script? Or can u gz the ramdisk for me?

u need to use linux

go to the folder which has the ramdisk files (init,etc)

give this command:
Code:
find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip > ../ramdisk.cpio.gz

Reactions: weaponXandroid

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Well, I managed to make .rle file...:) So, how can I add it into DooMLoRD kernel?
I am using ARC S...:)

u need to repack ramdisk and then repack it zImage to get boot.img (using correct mkbootimg arguments)

there was a thread somewhere by SE on how to make kernels for Xperia 2011 devices... they have provided info on how to repack ramdisk and the correct mkbootimg arguments...

Reactions: Ninolina

Ninolina

Dec 1, 2009
Beograd
u need to repack ramdisk and then repack it zImage to get boot.img (using correct mkbootimg arguments)

there was a thread somewhere by SE on how to make kernels for Xperia 2011 devices... they have provided info on how to repack ramdisk and the correct mkbootimg arguments...

Thank you very much for answering me, but I am afraid it wont help me much...:( I dont want to make a Kernel, I only want to change the SplashScreen...:) On HTC Desire it was easy to do that (there is a Tool for that) and with ARC this and everything else is so much complicated...:( I also see that there is not much support for this device and so little number of people is willing to help...:(

Thank you one more time...:) I hope there will be easier ways to do this and other stuff which are standard on other devices...:)

Just one more question... Is it easier just to remove the SplashScreen that is now in DooMKrenel? I will be satisfied with that too...:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hey guys since i was getting so many requests to make custom bootscreens/bootlogo, and lots of ppl asking me how to do this i am making this how to...

it took some time for me to get all this info and tools in one place and make it easy to use...

[ INTRO ]

• this little how-to/tutorial will cover points on how to convert between image files and (static) bootscreen/bootlogo files (initlogo.rle/logo.rle)
    • THIS WILL NOT COVER INFO ON HOW TO INTEGRATE IT IN CUSTOM boot.img, i will add this later cause it requires different tools
    • initlogo.rle/logo.rle are image files which are in the integrated ramdisk in custom kernel boot.img
    • these .rle files are shown during booting of the custom kernel (boot.img)
    • if u want to remove showing of these images then just delete the initlogo.rle/logo.rle from the ramdisk
    • if u want to change it to the image that u want then follow this tutorial
    • after creating the .rle files u will need to rename the files to initlogo.rle / logo.rle and place it within extracted ramdisk folder then repack the ramdisk and then repack it with kernel (zimage) using proper boot address and specific command line parameters

[ CREDITS ]

• makers of 5652rgb, to565 for freely providing the sources!
    • ImageMagick for the brilliant convert.exe tool
    • me for creating the cygwin binaries and batch files & making it little simple to use ;)

[ REQUIREMENTS ]

1. windows PC (u can find compatible linux tools if u search online)
    2. this package ;)
    3. correct resolution images (check post #2 for details)

[ WHATS INSIDE? ]

the package i have provided has:
    1. precompiled cygwin binaries for
      • 5652rgb
      • to565
    2. convert.exe from ImageMagick-6.7.0-Q16-windows
    3. all required dlls for standalone installations
    4. easy to use batch files i made
      • convert_image_to_rle.bat
      • convert_rle_to_image.bat

[ HOW TO USE? ]

1. Converting any image to rle file
      • execute:
        Code:
        convert_image_to_rle.bat <path_to_image_file>
      • the <path_to_image_file>.raw file and <path_to_image_file>.rle file will be created at the same location as <path_to_image_file>
    2. Converting any rle to image file
      • execute:
        Code:
        convert_rle_to_image.bat <path_to_rle_file>
      • the <path_to_rle_file>.raw file and <path_to_rle_file>.png file will be created at the same location as <path_to_rle_file>

[ ADDITIONAL INFO ]

the batch files i have made are specific to X10 screen resolution (480x854) if u need to use it for another device just edit the convert_rle_to_image.bat file and changed this like
    Code:
     [user=220077]@bin[/user]\convert -depth 8 -size 480x854 rgb:%1.raw %1.png

[ DOWNLOAD LINK ]

boot_screen_logo_creation_package.rar

[ REFERENCES ]

aZuZu has uploaded newer tools!!!

new version of custom boot image toolkit is up!
    minor fixes ...
    added image to android logo & android logo to image ( external tools ) ( cygwin again! god damn! )

working on new ramdisk handle procedure ... soon will be fixed

thanks DooMLoRD for finding tools :D

get them here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1090217

[ INFO ON SCREEN RESOLUTIONS ]

the resolution of the image to use depends on ur the capabilities of ur device
    following is a list of the resolutions
    • QVGA (320×240)
    • WQVGA (432×240)
    • HVGA (480×320)
    • VGA (640×480)
    • WVGA (800×480)
    • FWVGA (854×480)

make sure that there are no spaces in the path to the image file... best way is to place the image file in the same folder as the batch files

jus shared my find.