• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
Aug 14, 2013
nice it did work but stuck in boot loop

Well its all because of google now (velvet.apk) present in sysrem/priv-app

Why its removed ?

A) Bcoz if its not preinstalled we cant have Google experience launcher working and we cant do anything without a launcher

To make it work follow these simple instructions

1)Install any alternative launcher for temporary [anything apex,nova,smart whatever]

2)Just use root explorer or similar and remove velvet.apk from system/priv-app

3)Install google now from play store using your installed launcher

If u don't want to buy root explorer use inbuilt file manager by pressing menu and select settings/general/access mode /root access

Reboot and done ur ok google will be working now :D

did you forget to mention NOT to remove the "Temporary anything.....whatever" launcher, after installation

cause now am stuck in boot loop
using Maclaw CM11 S3 mini 4.4.2 18th Jan Build

eswarvf

Mar 18, 2013
Hyderabad
did you forget to mention NOT to remove the "Temporary anything.....whatever" launcher, after installation

Google home is a shell without Google now
the main thing is google now
anyway chill out why it is in bootloop and can u confirm that no launcher is the problem
try adding another whatever launcher to system/app and if it boots with that launcher its my mistake
if its not its your problem
i dont think 1 app will effect whole rom
thanks anyway ill add it

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2013
Hi, well first thank you for your concern and reply, didn't mean to appear as grumpy. But hey its the wife's mini if you know what I mean.
OK fail to boot through custom recovery dalvik wipe. (I kept clean wipe as a last resort)
Flash updated maclaw 28th build through custom recovery didn't help either
So I tired through Odin without flashing GAPPS. All fine except playstore , it just wouldn't connect through WIFI nor 3g
Back to recovery and flashed GAPPS

Thanks to you it is working fine now with Google now (ok Google hot word detection) working fine.

I have a question though. Do I need to do all that with every build update or it should stick now without all this headache :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

eswarvf

Mar 18, 2013
Hyderabad
Hi, well first thank you for your concern and reply, didn't mean to appear as grumpy. But hey its the wife's mini if you know what I mean.
OK fail to boot through custom recovery dalvik wipe. (I kept clean wipe as a last resort)
Flash updated maclaw 28th build through custom recovery didn't help either
So I tired through Odin without flashing GAPPS. All fine except playstore , it just wouldn't connect through WIFI nor 3g
Back to recovery and flashed GAPPS

Thanks to you it is working fine now with Google now (ok Google hot word detection) working fine.

I have a question though. Do I need to do all that with every build update or it should stick now without all this headache :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
you should use maclaws twrp recovery incase if u dont know it -just telling
and no u dont have to do it again and again (coz i am proud user of this mini, i am updating it daily
except for full wipe (not factory reset more like fresh installation)
Pm me if u have any probs i will try to help have a nice day;)

Carlyle_f

Jan 22, 2014
Cape Town
Hi, this didn't work for me. I followed the instructions and after reboot I switched back to the cm11 launcher, only he Google search bar widget looks different. I kept saying "okay google" and nothing happened, there's not hotword detection setting in Google settings either. I'm using maclaws cm11 20140126 if that helps.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using xda app-developers app

Carlyle_f

Jan 22, 2014
Cape Town
I got it to work. I updated to maclaws 20140130, and did this again and it worked

Bruno_Tec

Jun 8, 2013
question

i did what you said by moving/deleting (i did both, one in 1 situation and the another in other one) velvet.apk

then when i went to the play store, google search was STILL INSTALLED so i couldnt "reinstall it" (you said it has to be installed)

you didnt say to reboot device so i didnt do it the 1st time and like i said before, i couldnt "install" google search because it was installed.

the 2nd time i tried this method, i rebooted my s3 mini with cm11 and again, it was installed.

in both cases i decided to unninstall google search and reboot, then install it again and reboot.

Finally, "Ok google" commands worked but like it worked before i did all this methods.

(Before i deleted velvet.apk.etc) "ok google" voice commands worked and now it works too.

my questions are:

1) did the female's voice of google now only works on new experience launcher?

2) can i make it work on another launcher? (im using holo launcher plus)

3) what this methods are for? (if they are for activating just the "Ok google", it was working before too.

4) maybe im not understanding something from the guide, what could it be? (thats the reason i explained before the 2 methods i understood from the guide)

THANKS!!

eswarvf

Mar 18, 2013
Hyderabad
i did what you said by moving/deleting (i did both, one in 1 situation and the another in other one) velvet.apk

then when i went to the play store, google search was STILL INSTALLED so i couldnt "reinstall it" (you said it has to be installed)

you didnt say to reboot device so i didnt do it the 1st time and like i said before, i couldnt "install" google search because it was installed.

the 2nd time i tried this method, i rebooted my s3 mini with cm11 and again, it was installed.

in both cases i decided to unninstall google search and reboot, then install it again and reboot.

Finally, "Ok google" commands worked but like it worked before i did all this methods.

(Before i deleted velvet.apk.etc) "ok google" voice commands worked and now it works too.

my questions are:

1) did the female's voice of google now only works on new experience launcher?

2) can i make it work on another launcher? (im using holo launcher plus)

3) what this methods are for? (if they are for activating just the "Ok google", it was working before too.

4) maybe im not understanding something from the guide, what could it be? (thats the reason i explained before the 2 methods i understood from the guide)

THANKS!!
Hmm... i think it works because of auto installing google search from your play store if its no then may be other, the thing is we need to pull out velvet from system app

1)voice depends on the speech output that an app use
2)i tried many launchers but no it didnt work (let me know if it works on any launcher)that google search widget is not designed to have ok google command may be it will be updated in another googles release
3)yes its for ok google and it will not work without that app velvet out of priv-app
4)its simple you got all but one thing you are the one who got it working without doing these

and finally i found it working because i installed experience launcher on cm 10.2 and velvet as normal apk before release of cm11
ok google works when i uninstalled the us language and reinstalled[i found it annoying and so i searched and replaced some libraries it works]
but surprisingly it doesn't work on cm11 when released by maclaw so i researched everywhere and found that i cant uninstall preinstalled language and again i cant make it work with lib as they are same of cm11 so i reverted to cm10.2 and pushed velvet and google home to system
and i surprisingly found that ok google wont work so i get back to cm 11 and known that maclaw puts some important apps in priv-app older and deleted velvet and did this process ok google works

E

everreadybattery

I found how to get this to work. You have to change the voice language in Google now settings. You have to set it to English (US) or whatever you want. The default language is English Generic. I hope that no one has stated it again... :)

E

everreadybattery

but it didnt work for me

Have you changed the language on the top?
panaravu.jpg

Aug 14, 2013
After Google updated the launcher to be standalone app now velvet is no present to delete. Instead I removed the launcher from system apps and reinstalled it from play store. However not working.
Heads up also changing default languages will not let Google now "OK Google" feature to work

S3 mini rooted TWRP 2.7 maclaw CM11 15/3/2014 build

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Carlyle_f

Jan 22, 2014
Cape Town
After Google updated the launcher to be standalone app now velvet is no present to delete. Instead I removed the launcher from system apps and reinstalled it from play store. However not working.
Heads up also changing default languages will not let Google now "OK Google" feature to work

S3 mini rooted TWRP 2.7 maclaw CM11 15/3/2014 build

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Same here, best thing is to roll back to the previous version and disable automatic updates for that app. I haven't tried it yet but I think it should work until someone figures the new version out

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Allan_Hun

Mar 11, 2014
Gl.Rye
I had some trouble getting the voice command to work on maclaws cm11
Finally I figured it was because my home address wasn't a known address in google maps ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thread cleaned as its of no use
    nice it did work but stuck in boot loop

Well its all because of google now (velvet.apk) present in sysrem/priv-app

Why its removed ?

A) Bcoz if its not preinstalled we cant have Google experience launcher working and we cant do anything without a launcher

To make it work follow these simple instructions

1)Install any alternative launcher for temporary [anything apex,nova,smart whatever]

2)Just use root explorer or similar and remove velvet.apk from system/priv-app

3)Install google now from play store using your installed launcher

If u don't want to buy root explorer use inbuilt file manager by pressing menu and select settings/general/access mode /root access

Reboot and done ur ok google will be working now :D

I got it to work. I updated to maclaws 20140130, and did this again and it worked

After few days that "say ok google" will vanish away but it works
    its like for new users
    But i updated my google nowlauncher and it works

Im aware of this yes. Mine is working as well, also, maclaw fixed the Google Now command in the 20/03 release (CM 11, not sure about others), it works without removing velvet.apk now.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk