[HOW TO] Mango Beta Update

Search This thread

PanNet

Feb 16, 2006
Here and There
You don't need to format the phone but if you have a lot installed it will take longer to perform the update. I waited over an hour and I have 5 gigs occupied out of my 8. If you can live with hard-resetting first you'll have mango beta faster.
Hi,
If you have a third party software you lose them as me. But if you have software from Market you do not lose them.

madphone

Apr 21, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I'm finally registered and my device ist developer unlocked now. but i haven't received the mail yet. which method of installing mango would you reccomend in this case? this one or the regular one?

chrism583

Dec 9, 2010
Just a follow up: Back-up and two updates almost seamlessly(Had a scare when the USB got bumped and lost connection but the phone recovered after a batt. pull and came through like a champ). Unlocking via MFG was as smooth as always.

lambstone

Mar 27, 2008
Huawei P20 Pro
Redmi K20 Pro
I'm finally registered and my device ist developer unlocked now. but i haven't received the mail yet. which method of installing mango would you reccomend in this case? this one or the regular one?

Since you are a developer. You should use the leaked method. This is simply because as a developer, you'll simply receive the mango beta 2 emails sooner or later and they would be the same as the leaked files.

Also one added benefit is that in the unlikely event that something goes wrong, MS would tend be able to help replace/fix your device seeing that you're a developer using the mango beta 2 pushed out by MS.

montana

Jun 29, 2005
Gothenburg
www.winmobile.se
Its all messed up....

Long story short, Im stuck on the Samsung screen.

*I cant do a restore, it doesnt recognize that the device is hooked up!

*Tried in download mode as well.

Now, its just stuck on the "samsung screen". Its not a retail device, so cant go via samsfirmware. PS: The samsfirmware update tool recognize that the device is hooked up to the computer, but not the restore.bat....

Any ideas??

Long story short, Im stuck on the Samsung screen.

*I cant do a restore, it doesnt recognize that the device is hooked up!

*Tried in download mode as well.

Now, its just stuck on the "samsung screen". Its not a retail device, so cant go via samsfirmware. PS: The samsfirmware update tool recognize that the device is hooked up to the computer, but not the restore.bat....

Any ideas??
if the upgrade went all the way through to the last step and then got stuck on samsung boot logo when it tried to reboot the phone you have the same problem I had. only cold boot would work. the interesting part is that after cold boot I was not greeted with the original firmware/software but with mango beta. However, all my information and apps were gone. cold boot on an LG is pressing camera button+vol up+vol dwn at the same time while the thing is booting. if you can't get it too boot, pull the battery, plug it back in and then press the buttons. Needs the right timing and you are greeted with the "cold boot" message.
good luck

Last edited:

lambstone

Mar 27, 2008
Huawei P20 Pro
Redmi K20 Pro
Is it possible to install Mango beta 2 from Virtual PC (Windows XP Mode)?

So I am assuming that you don't run windows natively? In my opinion I don't know if it is possible to do that but I know for sure that you shouldn't try to do so. Updating the firmware is a pretty low level process and unless you're a registered dev, if you brick your device... that's it.

montana

Jun 29, 2005
Gothenburg
www.winmobile.se
if the upgrade went all the way through to the last step and then got stuck on samsung boot logo when it tried to reboot the phone you have the same problem I had. only cold boot would work. the interesting part is that after cold boot I was not greeted with the original firmware/software but with mango beta. However, all my information and apps were gone. cold boot on an LG is pressing camera button+vol up+vol dwn at the same time while the thing is booting. if you can't get it too boot, pull the battery, plug it back in and then press the buttons. Needs the right timing and you are greeted with the "cold boot" message.
good luck

Hi,

OK! I got it to cold boot (phone and pc logo connected to each other)

First when trying to do a restore it stops in about 37% and gives me error: 8018009B.

Any clue what that can be? Im getting one step further, but just need to get pass this error code, and google didnt help me much...

Hi,

OK! I got it to cold boot (phone and pc logo connected to each other)

First when trying to do a restore it stops in about 37% and gives me error: 8018009B.

Any clue what that can be? Im getting one step further, but just need to get pass this error code, and google didnt help me much...
google worked for me. exact same problem you have here

rapik

Nov 3, 2005
Riga
Thanks for the advice.

But it seems that is not possible at all since SDK 7.1 Beta 2 cannot be installed on Windows XP.

ZappiestOyster

Dec 23, 2010
Guys, I am trying this, but can't seem to get the update going. Maybe I am skipping a step here. I have followed the PDF multiple times, but the final update EXE is crashing. I have tried to update with both the EXEs - Privision.exe as well as the official WP7 MangoB2-DevRetailUpdate EXE.

As soon as I click "I Agree," either EXE crashes. There is nothing in the details either that I can post here.

Any help/input is appreciated.

Last edited:
Guys, I am trying this, but can't seem to get the update going. Maybe I am skipping a step here. I have followed the PDF multiple times, but the final update EXE is crashing. I have tried to update with both the EXEs - Privision.exe as well as the official WP7 MangoB2-DevRetailUpdate EXE.

As soon as I click "I Agree," either EXE crashes. There is nothing in the details either that I can post here.

Any help/input is appreciated.
not quite sure what you mean by "final", so this may be a shot in the dark. Did you try to uninstall/delete the Windows Phone Engineering Flashing Tool (Uninstall Program) or UpdateWP.exe (delete) in the Zune folder and the reinstall the Setup-UpdateWP x86 or x64.exe? Some people had problems with this.

May 9, 2010
hm i try the update.bat but i got an error on backup:
Error: System.UriFormatException: Ungültiger URI: Das URI-Format konnte nicht be
stimmt werden.
bei wm7update.Program.UpdateDevice(IDeviceInfo deviceInfo, List`1 updates, Up
dateType type)
bei wm7update.Program.Main(String[] args)

Anyone has an idea why i am facing this problem?

I have the actual zune 4.7
Installed the wp support tools
Run the update.bat as administrator and normal, same error.

found this:
http://www.triballabs.net/2011/06/s...pdate-guide-for-windows-phone-7-wp7/#problems
but now i got
Error: The installed version of ZuneWMDU (4.7.1407.0) doesn't match the tool version (4.8.2098.0).

Last edited:

drky

Nov 28, 2007
port of spain
I think it could be the OS you are using I did the mango beta2 on my omnia 7 update using provision file , zune 4.7, SDK v7.1 on windows 7 , had to update zune after so phone could sync.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NEW BETTER AND EASY WAY THANKS TO AlexDP
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1149265

still need download file from old way
    -----------------------------------------
    OLD WAY

Hi Guys,
    I know that there are other threads but i want create this with instructions in first page and problems and suggests above:

thanks to hd2leo_fusion
    MangoB2-ZuneClient.zip - ZIP file that contains the install for the pre-release Zune Client 4.8, required to update your Windows Phone retail device and to connect to your device from the Windows Phone SDK tools.
    MangoB2-UpdateWP.zip - ZIP that contains the install program(s) that will install updatewp.exe into your Zune client, allowing you to update your Windows Phone to point to the test servers
    MangoB2-DevRetailUpdate.zip - Tool that automates the backup and update process so that your retail phone can receive ‘Mango'
    Update Instructions - Mango Beta 2 for WPDevs.pdf - Instructions to walk you through the update process. 15 minutes here can save you 4 weeks without a phone.
    Finally, one last reminder about reading the instrctions:

thanks to asbesto
    download file here:
    1 megaupload DOT COM/?d=WGHWO7DM
    2 megaupload DOT COM/?d=PL7H6FKJ
    3 megaupload DOT COM/?d=9Q3LBQ4J
    4 megaupload DOT COM/?d=KY8J8SIY
    5 megaupload DOT COM/?d=WNKD3G9U

thanks to derausgewanderte
    not there yet, it's upgrading at the moment (at the last and longest stage). I had mine unlocked via the MFG tool. I reset the two registry keys PortalUrlInt and PortalUrlProd back to the https links
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DeviceReg]
    "PortalUrlProd"="https://developerservices.windowsphone.com/Services/WindowsPhoneRegistration.svc/01/2010"
    "PortalUrlInt"="https://developerservices.windowsphone-int.com/Services/WindowsPhoneRegistration.svc/01/2010"
    (thanks to drkfngthdragnlrd)

and set the DeveloperUnlockState to 1. While still in the MFG tool I started the MangoB2-DevRetailUpdate tool.

It would not work initially. Closed the tool, started the new beta Zune software and it relocked the phone. Closed Zune, disconnected phone and went back into the MFG app and unlocked it. Connected phone to PC again, restarted the tool and it started the backup and installation process.

How to Un-Lock your Phone without Chevron 7
    You can unlock the phone by using the MFG registry editor.
    Open the MFG app and use the password to open it. If you don't know it's (appmfg#*#)
    Go to Engineer Menu -> Other Settings -> Edit Registry
    Set your ROOT PATH to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
    Set your input path to "\Comm\Security\LVMod"
    Set your input key to "DeveloperUnlockState" and set to DWORD
    Hit Query. Output result should return a "0" or a random long number. If it does continue.
    Set your input data box to "1" and hit SET. Output result should be 1

How To Keep Your Phone Unlocked
    You can keep your phone unlocked and prevent Zune from re-locking it.
    Open the MFG app and use the password to open it. If you don't know it's (appmfg#*#)
    Go to Engineer Menu -> Other Settings -> Edit Registry
    Set your ROOT PATH to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
    Set your input path to "\Software\Microsoft\DeviceReg"
    Set your input key to "PortalUrlProd" and set to DWORD
    Hit Query. Output result should return data. If it does continue.
    Keep your input data box empty and hit SET. Output result should be 0
    Keep this screen open and continue to Part 2
    not working, still DevRetailUpdate tool detects phone as locked

When I got that message I left the phone connected to the PC, went into the MFG app, change the developerunlock stated back to 1, hit set and tried again and its now Working fine on my LG Optimus
    one sec :p

attachment.php

edit: here you go

Reinstall the support tools, there's a file of sorts missing that it needs.
    Somebody made a nice tool that provisions for you, without having to be a developer (or dev unlocked):

http://windowsphonehacker.com/articles/get_the_mango_update_now._without_being_a_developer.-06-30-11

Idk if it works, but sounds promising.
    I had the same problem using 'restore.bat'.

I used the mangoforall_0.2 to backup NoDo and install Mango b2.

If .bat file restore failes, the author provides a manual Plan B. Copy the folder from inside C:\PreMangoState to the Windows Phone backup folder location at C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update\

Then, connect your phone and open Zune, click update phone and then Restore. It took about as long to restore as it did for the initial update (about 40-minutes for 10Gb of backed-up data). Once complete, confirm NoDo is on your phone (Settings->About->More Info "build 7.0.7392.0").

Even though Zune v4.8 works with NoDo, I then uninstalled v4.8 and installed v4.7.