• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to manually, I said manually, install an APK

Search This thread

FailSafeNow

Apr 3, 2020
I have an APK that will not install. Just will not. "Package conflicts with another package with the same name", it says. The truth is that the package DOES NOT conflict with any package of the same name, but the system believes it does. So I need help. I've tried to troubleshoot this various ways, looking for any traces of old installations, but so far, I haven't been able to remove anything that makes a difference.

So listen, here's what I want to know. How do I manually install an apk? And when I say manually, I MEAN MANUALLY. I find all kinds of search results that claim to tell me how to manually install an APK, BUT THEY'RE LYING. They just tell me how to install an APK that I have downloaded using the existing system installer, WHICH DOESN'T HELP ME. Sorry, but I'm frustrated with all the guides that claim they're going to tell me what I need but don't deliver.

Manually. I mean manually. I want to put the APK into a folder in data/app, create any other folders that are needed, add the application info into whatever files Android has that tell it what is installed, do whatever else is necessary. I want to do a fully manual installation. No using the system installer. No using any root installers. Putting all the files where they go and making all the changes MANUALLY.

Can anyone please tell me how to do this?

FailSafeNow

Apr 3, 2020
I'd like to give the update that I did finally manage to install the app. I'm pretty sure what finally got me there was deleting its information from /data/system/packages.xml and rebooting. But I'd still like an answer to this question for the future. Failing that, though, if need arises, I would be inclined to take the steps in this guide, https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/200974/how-to-manually-remove-an-app, and follow them in reverse.

Reactions: Organized_Chaos

crazyhack

Jun 23, 2021
I want to put the APK into a folder in data/app, create any other folders that are needed, add the application info into whatever files Android has that tell it what is installed, do whatever else is necessary. I want to do a fully manual installation. No using the system installer. No using any root installers. Putting all the files where they go and making all the changes MANUALLY.
I need a way to install an app manually without using package installer, by putting the apk and any related files in the correct places, anyone know how to do this? i have a rooted phone, I'm just not sure which files need to be edited so the phone "knows" the app is installed. Please help! Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can you install the app via adb? adb install appname.apk? Sorry, I don't know how to install one manually. I understand what you're asking for but I don't know the answer.
    I'd like to give the update that I did finally manage to install the app. I'm pretty sure what finally got me there was deleting its information from /data/system/packages.xml and rebooting. But I'd still like an answer to this question for the future. Failing that, though, if need arises, I would be inclined to take the steps in this guide, https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/200974/how-to-manually-remove-an-app, and follow them in reverse.