How to manually update a toshiba folio 100: Covering most hurdles

Search This thread

elbuezi@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2011
HI all,

Dexter wrote a super-cool folio 100 mod including Android Market, Flashplayer and much better performance. You find it here: http://dext3r.komodin.org/folio100/FolioModv13d.zip. I think this makes the folio 100 finally useful.

When I wanted to install it, however, I had to overcome several hurdles (which had nothing to do with Dexters work). Therefore, I thought that it would be useful to post a full description of what I had to do here.

1. Download the mod from the URL above. Put the update.zip file which you find in the archive into the root of an SD-Card with at least 150-200 MB of free space.

2. Shut down you folio 100

2. Put the SD Card into your folio 100

3. Start your folio 100, when you see boot image push "Power" and "Vol +" quickly (you only have 3 seconds to do this) ==> You should now see a message explaining that are in the recovery menu!

4. Press VOL + Factory reset or system update.

5. Press VOL - to continue to system update.

6. Press VOL + to confirm system update

==> WHEN ALL GOES FINE UPDATE SHOULD NOW START AND THE DEVICE WILL AUTOMATICALLY REBOOT (it is possible that you must shutdown and restart manually after update. This is the case when the android label is shown but the device does not start for a very long time).

BUT for some of you (including me) this will fail and you will see a text on the screen like booting recovery kernel image and the tablet freezes there.

In this case, it seems that your recovery image used to run updates is broken and you must first reload a working recovery image.

Now it gets a bit hairy:

We will use Android Development Environment and load a working recovery image via USB. Here are the steps:

1. Download the Android SDK here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html. For Windows users I suggest to get the zip and NOT put it in Program Directory unless you want to run all commands with administrator privileges.

2. Now we must extend the drivers section to be able to load software onto our folio tablet. Goto %android_install_dir%/usb_driver/android_winusb.inf and enter the following lines in the sections [Google.NTamd64] and [Google.NTx86] (depending on your systems architecture you could place it only in one section but why not in both?).

;NVIDIA Tegra
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7000
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&MI_01

3. Last but not least you should ensure that the comand fastboot.exe located under %android_install_dir%/tools knows where it finds the AdbWinApi.dll. Test this by running the tool without option from a command line. If you get and error message add the path to AdbWinApi.dll to your PATH variabe. The path is usually: %android_install_dir%/platform-tools . The PATH variable you can enter under Control Panel->Maintenance->System->Environment Variables.

4. Now you must run your table in fastboot mode. To do so you should start your folio tablet and on the Toshiba loading screen quickly press 3 times the startbutton and then the VOL + button.

5. The tables should print a message that it is now in fastboot mode. Connect it via USB to your PC.

6. Windows will try to load a driver but it will fail to recognise it. Choose the option to manually add a driver. Ensure to manually select a file NOT search in a directory and select the aforementioned file %android_install_dir%/usb_driver/android_winusb.inf .

7. Windows will ask you what driver you want to lead. Choose Bootloader and Windows will install it.

8. In Dexters update.zip for the foliomod (mentioned above and found inside the package here: http://dext3r.komodin.org/folio100/FolioModv13d.zip) is a working recovery.img. Extract this image (file recovery.img) and best place it under %android_install_dir%/tools.

9. Now we are ready to replace the faulty recovery image. Open a command line and go to %android_install_dir%/tools. Type:

fastboot erase recovery

this will erase the old recovery image.

10. Now lets laod the working recovery image. Type

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

this will load the recovery.img of Dexter which we placed in the %android_install_dir%/tools folder before. Note: If you do want to place the img file in this folder you must indicate the full path to it inside the command.

11. Now we are nearly done. You can unplug your tablet and restart the update procedure for the foliomod as described at the beginning of this post. This time the update should work fine.

Well, I hope this helps someone. At least in my case the update worked and I thought it might be use to sum up all information.

Best regards

Patrick

msraps

Jan 25, 2011
Do I need the OS update for my Folio 100

Hi there,
I am a bit confused. I have installed the Super Dexter Folio 100 mod and it is great. Do I then need the OS update??
I cannot download it from Toshiba web site. After the Dexter install. the data needed like Model no. Serial no. and Part no. is blank !!
Any ideas.?
Regards,
Per.

ma1999

Oct 17, 2010
If you have installed Foliomod 1.4 there is no need to update.
Foliomod 1.4 has the update integrated.

versyl

Oct 3, 2006
Lille
blank part and serial no

sorry,

but i have to enter correct model, part and serial numbers in order to send it back to Toshiba, how can we do?

Regards

tp_88

Feb 9, 2011
This method worked perfect for me, while I was having trouble with the other one. Thanks alot!

idt2

Nov 19, 2008
Thank you very much. You saved my life.
I was searching for days to fix my folio!!!
It worked excellent for me. Now everything is fine.

Thomas7610

Apr 8, 2011
Downgrade

If I installed the toshiba stock rom it will be perfctly good. I mean the model number an so on..

DarkShadowSwE

Apr 11, 2011
i was to hasty when i bought my folio and i update my firmware to the latest , is there any way to downgrade ? , i tried both this way and an ADB shell command to restore my recovery image , but my recovery still dont start , after i press power button followed by VOL + it just goes black for 5 sec and then boots android with no message at all, :/ , possible to fix it ?

gingerboy92

May 7, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 4G
Xiaomi 12
tried using fastboot to install update.zip but failed.
=>
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot update update.zip
archive does not contain 'android-info.txt'
archive does not contain 'android-product.txt'
error: update package has no android-info.txt or android-product.txt
<=

ChicaneBT

Sep 20, 2011
I don't know why the 'thanks' button isn't active for TS. But thanks for your comprehensive guide to put another ROM on the device. The Fastboot method of replacing recovery.img worked like a charm ;) :cool:.

Danielx2

Nov 9, 2011
Hello,

Thanks for this very clear tutorial... but...
When I try to execute the fastboot command, the prompt hangs:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools>fastboot erase recovery
< waiting for device >

What to do?

Kind regards,

Daniel

thomson234

Dec 16, 2011
Hi, I tryed to reinstall, but 9th step is problem, because Commander in Windows 7 don't know this tag...

I can't connect to my touchpad by this tag
fastboot erase recovery

In others forums I found some notes about fastboot.exe, but this application is not in folder tools.

Can you some help me?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 4258086

so ,everything works installing it this way , but after that how do i get into recovery?
if i use "power" and "volume up" i'm getting the old recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HI all,

Dexter wrote a super-cool folio 100 mod including Android Market, Flashplayer and much better performance. You find it here: http://dext3r.komodin.org/folio100/FolioModv13d.zip. I think this makes the folio 100 finally useful.

When I wanted to install it, however, I had to overcome several hurdles (which had nothing to do with Dexters work). Therefore, I thought that it would be useful to post a full description of what I had to do here.

1. Download the mod from the URL above. Put the update.zip file which you find in the archive into the root of an SD-Card with at least 150-200 MB of free space.

2. Shut down you folio 100

2. Put the SD Card into your folio 100

3. Start your folio 100, when you see boot image push "Power" and "Vol +" quickly (you only have 3 seconds to do this) ==> You should now see a message explaining that are in the recovery menu!

4. Press VOL + Factory reset or system update.

5. Press VOL - to continue to system update.

6. Press VOL + to confirm system update

==> WHEN ALL GOES FINE UPDATE SHOULD NOW START AND THE DEVICE WILL AUTOMATICALLY REBOOT (it is possible that you must shutdown and restart manually after update. This is the case when the android label is shown but the device does not start for a very long time).

BUT for some of you (including me) this will fail and you will see a text on the screen like booting recovery kernel image and the tablet freezes there.

In this case, it seems that your recovery image used to run updates is broken and you must first reload a working recovery image.

Now it gets a bit hairy:

We will use Android Development Environment and load a working recovery image via USB. Here are the steps:

1. Download the Android SDK here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html. For Windows users I suggest to get the zip and NOT put it in Program Directory unless you want to run all commands with administrator privileges.

2. Now we must extend the drivers section to be able to load software onto our folio tablet. Goto %android_install_dir%/usb_driver/android_winusb.inf and enter the following lines in the sections [Google.NTamd64] and [Google.NTx86] (depending on your systems architecture you could place it only in one section but why not in both?).

;NVIDIA Tegra
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7000
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&MI_01

3. Last but not least you should ensure that the comand fastboot.exe located under %android_install_dir%/tools knows where it finds the AdbWinApi.dll. Test this by running the tool without option from a command line. If you get and error message add the path to AdbWinApi.dll to your PATH variabe. The path is usually: %android_install_dir%/platform-tools . The PATH variable you can enter under Control Panel->Maintenance->System->Environment Variables.

4. Now you must run your table in fastboot mode. To do so you should start your folio tablet and on the Toshiba loading screen quickly press 3 times the startbutton and then the VOL + button.

5. The tables should print a message that it is now in fastboot mode. Connect it via USB to your PC.

6. Windows will try to load a driver but it will fail to recognise it. Choose the option to manually add a driver. Ensure to manually select a file NOT search in a directory and select the aforementioned file %android_install_dir%/usb_driver/android_winusb.inf .

7. Windows will ask you what driver you want to lead. Choose Bootloader and Windows will install it.

8. In Dexters update.zip for the foliomod (mentioned above and found inside the package here: http://dext3r.komodin.org/folio100/FolioModv13d.zip) is a working recovery.img. Extract this image (file recovery.img) and best place it under %android_install_dir%/tools.

9. Now we are ready to replace the faulty recovery image. Open a command line and go to %android_install_dir%/tools. Type:

fastboot erase recovery

this will erase the old recovery image.

10. Now lets laod the working recovery image. Type

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

this will load the recovery.img of Dexter which we placed in the %android_install_dir%/tools folder before. Note: If you do want to place the img file in this folder you must indicate the full path to it inside the command.

11. Now we are nearly done. You can unplug your tablet and restart the update procedure for the foliomod as described at the beginning of this post. This time the update should work fine.

Well, I hope this helps someone. At least in my case the update worked and I thought it might be use to sum up all information.

Best regards

Patrick