How to: Modify Google's USB driver to work for fastboot

Search This thread

xenoglyph

Jun 9, 2009
So, I have a OnePlus 8 Pro (IN2025) running stock 11.0.4.4.IN11AA, but whenever I booted into the bootloader, Windows 10 device manager said no driver found, even though I had the current Google USB drivers installed. I checked the hardware ID of the fastboot device, and for me it's "USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D&REV_0100". I looked in the driver INF, and of course that hardware ID is nowhere to be found. Here's what I did to modify Google's driver to work with my phone instead of trusting random shady downloads from the internet:

1.) Download current Google USB driver and unzip into a folder. currently: https://dl.google.com/android/repository/usb_driver_r13-windows.zip

2.) Disable driver verification. Run the following commands in an elevated command prompt and reboot Windows:

bcdedit /set testsigning on bcdedit /set nointegritychecks on bcdedit /set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

3.) Open android_winusb.inf (from the USB driver folder) in your favorite text editor, like Notepad++. Look for a section labeled "[Google.NTamd64]". Scroll to the bottom of that section, you'll see hardware IDs for ";Project Tango (generic)". After those entries add this section:

;OnePlus 8 Pro %SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D

Save the modified INF file. Right-click and install it. Now you have a working fastboot driver. These instructions are for x64, for x86 do the same thing in the appropriate section. Cheers.

P.S. OEM unlocking from developer menu doesn't actually do anything in this OS build. You have to "fastboot oem unlock" to actually unlock the bootloader. This will also wipe your phone, so be prepared.

After you're finished it's probably best to turn driver verification back on. Run the following commands in an elevated command prompt and reboot Windows:

bcdedit /deletevalue loadoptions bcdedit /set testsigning off bcdedit /set nointegritychecks off

Last edited:

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Even with a clean installation of windows I've always been able to plug and play with my phone's, including the 8 pro.

I know this issue happens so Windows 7 so if it helps with that then that's great.

So many seem to have issues though.. Hope this helps them

Reactions: xenoglyph

xenoglyph

Jun 9, 2009
Right now my only source of internet connectivity is thru my OP8 Pro, so while in fastboot I didn't have internet. There may very well be a Windows Update driver that's downloaded and installed for USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D for people with normal internet =)

Ideally Google would just add the hardware ID to their INF and re-sign it.

Reactions: dlads

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Right now my only source of internet connectivity is thru my OP8 Pro, so while in fastboot I didn't have internet. There may very well be a Windows Update driver that's downloaded and installed for USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D for people with normal internet =)

Connect to a neighbours WiFi?

what about the drivers that are offered from the OnePlus phone when it's connected? Not sure if it does that anymore..

xenoglyph

Jun 9, 2009
I'm a voluntaryist out in the middle of nowhere in the high desert of southern cali.... off-grid, self-designed 48v 15kw solar system, well, garden, chickens, goats, ducks, etc. I don't have neighbors with wifi, but i've got an almost decent Verizon signal. I'll get around to StarLink after higher priority projects are done.

And....regarding the driver option which I think typically showed up as a CD drive or another device....I don't recall seeing that option for any of the OS builds since I've had mine. Because obviously if I did, I probably wouldn't have created this thread =)

superchilpil

Sep 26, 2009
Texas
OnePlus 8 Pro
Nubia Red Magic 6
OP a much simpler method would be to create a bootable usb with the latest Ubuntu and install adb through apt (making sure you set up a persistent filesystem to retain adb) and just use Ubuntu for your Fastboot and adb needs. Linux is much more reliable when it comes to flashing in fastboot compared to windows

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
I'm a voluntaryist out in the middle of nowhere in the high desert of southern cali.... off-grid, self-designed 48v 15kw solar system, well, garden, chickens, goats, ducks, etc. I don't have neighbors with wifi, but i've got an almost decent Verizon signal. I'll get around to StarLink after higher priority projects are done.

And....regarding the driver option which I think typically showed up as a CD drive or another device....I don't recall seeing that option for any of the OS builds since I've had mine. Because obviously if I did, I probably wouldn't have created this thread =)

Sounds lovely, I'd love to take some shots in the desert on my Telescope.

Can't remember if my phone gave the driver install option on the 8 pro as I never needed it.

I think in your situation I'd probably have downloaded the driver on my phone first then copied it over to windows directly.

Defo check our starlink, your situation is essentially what it was designed for..

Id be interested to see how well it works.

xenoglyph

Jun 9, 2009
OP a much simpler method would be to create a bootable usb with the latest Ubuntu and install adb through apt (making sure you set up a persistent filesystem to retain adb) and just use Ubuntu for your Fastboot and adb needs. Linux is much more reliable when it comes to flashing in fastboot compared to windows

yah, i actually just cleared out a spare 2tb portable HD last night and stuck Kali on it. I'm so used to developing on Windows that sometimes I forget about Linux. The embarrassing thing is I actually admin a dedicated Linux server on an unmetered gigabit connection, lol

xenoglyph

Jun 9, 2009
Sounds lovely, I'd love to take some shots in the desert on my Telescope.

Can't remember if my phone gave the driver install option on the 8 pro as I never needed it.

I think in your situation I'd probably have downloaded the driver on my phone first then copied it over to windows directly.

Defo check our starlink, your situation is essentially what it was designed for..

Id be interested to see how well it works.

the thing is, I couldn't find a driver on the internet for "USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D" which I actually trusted. Not one from OnePlus, not one from Google. A couple shady looking ones that I wouldn't personally touch. That's why I modified the Google one (after downloading it via my USB tethered phone). Like superchilpil said tho, Linux is probably the sanest option of all.

Considering the fact that OnePlus now forces you to factory reset your device upon bootloader unlock....I'm guessing they're not exactly enthusiastic about supporting fastboot...Also, the big scary warning message on every cold boot regarding the unlocked bootloader lends further credence to the idea they're not too keen on the whole fastboot thing.

edit:

I mean, i did see listings for supposedly compatible drivers on various driver download sites...and I could have taken the time to verify the security certificates on said drivers....but I just have a pretty strict policy of avoiding those sites like the plague

Last edited:

falcont

Dec 10, 2021
I've attached the signed drivers to the post. This driver can be installed and used for different Oneplus devices. You can directly install the INF file without modifying it. Also, since this driver is signed, there is no need to use bcdedit commands.

Attachments

• signed fastboot.zip
    8.3 MB · Views: 1,644
Last edited:

xdarasc

Nov 13, 2017
I've attached the signed drivers to the post. This driver can be installed and used for different Oneplus devices. You can directly install the INF file without modifying it. Also, since this driver is signed, there is no need to use bcdedit commands.
THANKS, dude!
Your driver is working well on Win10x64 for Xiaomi devices (Mi Max 3, Mi 11) as well.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, I have a OnePlus 8 Pro (IN2025) running stock 11.0.4.4.IN11AA, but whenever I booted into the bootloader, Windows 10 device manager said no driver found, even though I had the current Google USB drivers installed. I checked the hardware ID of the fastboot device, and for me it's "USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D&REV_0100". I looked in the driver INF, and of course that hardware ID is nowhere to be found. Here's what I did to modify Google's driver to work with my phone instead of trusting random shady downloads from the internet:

1.) Download current Google USB driver and unzip into a folder. currently: https://dl.google.com/android/repository/usb_driver_r13-windows.zip

2.) Disable driver verification. Run the following commands in an elevated command prompt and reboot Windows:

bcdedit /set testsigning on bcdedit /set nointegritychecks on bcdedit /set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

3.) Open android_winusb.inf (from the USB driver folder) in your favorite text editor, like Notepad++. Look for a section labeled "[Google.NTamd64]". Scroll to the bottom of that section, you'll see hardware IDs for ";Project Tango (generic)". After those entries add this section:

;OnePlus 8 Pro %SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D

Save the modified INF file. Right-click and install it. Now you have a working fastboot driver. These instructions are for x64, for x86 do the same thing in the appropriate section. Cheers.

P.S. OEM unlocking from developer menu doesn't actually do anything in this OS build. You have to "fastboot oem unlock" to actually unlock the bootloader. This will also wipe your phone, so be prepared.

After you're finished it's probably best to turn driver verification back on. Run the following commands in an elevated command prompt and reboot Windows:

bcdedit /deletevalue loadoptions bcdedit /set testsigning off bcdedit /set nointegritychecks off
    Even with a clean installation of windows I've always been able to plug and play with my phone's, including the 8 pro.

I know this issue happens so Windows 7 so if it helps with that then that's great.

So many seem to have issues though.. Hope this helps them