• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to modify LTE Carrier Aggregation and enable 256QAM/64QAM on Xperia XZ and XZs

Search This thread

olkitu

Apr 7, 2015
Finland
truong.fi
Mostly Sony XZ-series phones have limited LTE Carrier Aggregation bands on per country / provider. You can check here more information about that: https://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-xz/how-to/lte-carrier-aggregation-combinations-t3577544

I made step by step instruction how to modify on Sony XZ, Sony XZs, Sony XZ Premium and Sony XZ1 LTE Carrier Combinations. Rooted phone required. This instruction should working also with Dual SIM models.

Sony XZ Premium after Android 9 PIE does not work anymore

You can check this on my blog site: https://mt-tech.fi/en/modify-sony-xz-xzs-xz-premium-and-xz1-lte-a-band-combos/

Make sure you make full modem backup and backup all config files to your computer, if need restore configuration.

Last edited:

550D

Jan 11, 2017
Gr
To try this mod, it should be supported by the carrier also! Is there a way to find out in which countries it's rolling?

Sent from taptalk

olkitu

Apr 7, 2015
Finland
truong.fi
To try this mod, it should be supported by the carrier also! Is there a way to find out in which countries it's rolling?

Sent from taptalk

Did you mean LTE Carrier Aggregation support? You just should check what band your provider support and then find possible combos on our Google sheets (link on first post).

Many providers also support well 256QAM/64QAM but not every provider yet. There is no list yet.

550D

Jan 11, 2017
Gr
That's my point... There is no "list". You just try it and see if it's working. But I'm not brave enough to try it -and IF it goes smoothly- see no result because my provider being ambitious in saving money than QoS :/

Sent from taptalk

bobladure

Oct 30, 2014
hi,
i try your LTE mod but from the last update .192 i don't have 4x F8311 (Sony XZ) undefined device, I get 3 and not MI_04. What do you think about that and how could i unlock LTE ?
thanks
ND

HandyMenny

Aug 19, 2013
@olkitu QPST on xz1/xz premium with Android Pie works using the magisk module that you can find here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78919730&postcount=119. No need to install custom driver, you can use the driver from windows update. I'm saying it to you also because your tutorial is among the first results on Google :)

Edit: It seems to not work on XZ premium. I was wrong :(

Last edited:
Reactions: VeixES and olkitu

olkitu

Apr 7, 2015
Finland
truong.fi
@olkitu QPST on xz1/xz premium with Android Pie works using the magisk module that you can find here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78919730&postcount=119. No need to install custom driver, you can use the driver from windows update. I'm saying it to you also because your tutorial is among the first results on Google :)

Thanks for sharing this! I have to put test this Magisk module and then update my blog posts.

This driver is Qualcomm official driver for Xiaomi but yes if you can find it from Windows Update that is good.

Reactions: HandyMenny

HandyMenny

Aug 19, 2013
Thanks for sharing this! I have to put test this Magisk module and then update my blog posts.

This driver is Qualcomm official driver for Xiaomi but yes if you can find it from Windows Update that is good.
On oreo using the driver for xiaomi I had to manually insert the "COM" port, now with the drivers downloaded by windows the phone is autodetected*.
The device used by QPST is "USB\VID_05C6&PID_9091&REV_0404&MI_00". Sometimes with the module enabled the phone says "no service", to solve the problem just enable and disable the "Airplane mode", note that this does not interfere in any way with QPST/QXDM. Obviously you should disable the module after finishing the work.

And thak you very much for your work :) I still have some doubts about the lte_category file. Analyzing the firmware of many smartphones I understand how the files disable_cap_ies (disable 64qam/256qam capabilities), rrc_capable_plmn_list (limit the plmn that have capabilities not disabled) and the carrierpolicy works, but I found anything about lte_category :/

*In my case qpst is running in windows 7 compatibility mode

Last edited:

jessenic

Sep 9, 2010

I can't get it to work on XZP Pie. Phone shows up in QPST, but as Unknown (No ESN). Same thing without the mod, but by running setprop commands from the shell. Used to work fine on Oreo.

HandyMenny

Aug 19, 2013
I can't get it to work on XZP Pie. Phone shows up in QPST, but as Unknown (No ESN). Same thing without the mod, but by running setprop commands from the shell. Used to work fine on Oreo.
Are you using a typec cable? Are you using the com port of the device "Qualcomm HS-USB Diagnostics 9091" ? Can you tell me if QPST see the device for few seconds during the boot?

olkitu

Apr 7, 2015
Finland
truong.fi

xavinaz

Sep 13, 2021
Thank you very much for your response, Olkitu. I am trying to enter qualcomm diagnostic mode, and I cannot. I have done everything you describe in your blog and nothing shows up in QPST. I even tried with the command (setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb), and I can't enter the diagnostic mode either. Do you know how to fix it? Thanks you

Top Liked Posts