[How-To]N930T - Root, Mods, Everything Working - 9/29/16 - Updated to PI4 System.img

Search This thread

215Aphillyated

Feb 27, 2013
Philladelphia,Pa
yeah....I left it over night and woke up to the splash screen...I know I followed the directions to exact and still a no go...thinking when they give the replacements ill try again...hopefully the devs come up with a easier(even though this method is easy too)method to root...appreciate the [email protected] the folder helped out alot

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
Has anyone tried setting up secure folder while on sprint eng rom and then completing the step to see if secure folder sticks? Tmo variant btw.....would like to have that feature working too. I know OD has stated it works, iust wondering if there is a method to get it to work. Btw i removed my irises and fingerprints prior to doing the root process....could that be the diff?

Reactions: AllanonX

AllanonX

Mar 9, 2008
San Diego
www.communitygreen.me
And for those people that having issue when in the recovery that when u apply update via sdcard didn't show your syatem.img and bbx file.... u need to take your sdcard out while u still in the recovery.....power off ..... but u need to go back to recovery right away by using combo button....vol up+home+power.... and then start all the commands again from the beginning.

TWIST3D_N930T

I have tried this as well as re- downloading all files. I keep getting stuck at step 5g. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong! lol
Here:
dc3e67ac02bc4f21c6adf266ea3907a0.jpg

Last edited:

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City
I have tried this as well as re- downloading all files. I keep getting stuck at step 5g. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong! lol
Here:
@AllanonX
I got the same error as well while testing and i fixed it by using different sdcard....
1. Power off your phone.
2. Use combo button to go back to recovery right away.... if u see samsung bootanimation then u are to late to go to recovery.... if your adb setup correctly then u could use adb command "adb reboot recovery" without the quote while it still booting ..... or you could start over again from step one above.
3.make sure u re-do your adb commands from the beginning again.

a lot of others options that u can do .... format your sdcard to exfat... use 7 zip to extract the file into your sdcard....or use sdcard reader and transfer the files to your sdcard..... just make sure that two files (bbx and system.img) are in your sdcard..... eventho in some case including me also, those two files didn't show up when I'm on the recovery trying to update using adb..... just follow the guide and continue the adb commands. See my attached screenshot.

cec0b320ff8c7409886ecd94957e06cb.jpg

yeah....I left it over night and woke up to the splash screen...I know I followed the directions to exact and still a no go...thinking when they give the replacements ill try again...hopefully the devs come up with a easier(even though this method is easy too)method to root...appreciate the [email protected] the folder helped out alot

stuck at boot splash.....made sure all prompts were correct....I give up
@215Aphillyated
Please read the guide again and make sure u understand and have all those files downloaded to your extsdcard.... start the process again and post your screenshots. Let me see your adb commands. With screenshots is easier for us to understand what is your issue and also to help you.

TWIST3D_N930T

Last edited:
Reactions: AllanonX

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
Here:

1st as mentioned be sure to format sdcard to exfat (use pc) then be sure that when you extract the files that you extract them first to desktop and then drag from or copy paste from desktop to sdcard. (trying to extract directly to sdcard from a zip or rar does not work just fyi in case that helps

BadBoiViet

May 18, 2013
Phoenix
Is there a way to get the 3minit battery mod working with xposed installed? I know it will break systemui if installed OD mymod(learnt the hard way). Wondering if there another way like compiling a zip to flash without breaking systemui.

jovy23

Jan 23, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Checking through some of the posts, it seems like there are users who ran into an issue with secure folder breaking because of having root on their device which is some form of knox security checking for su binary. When i decompiled KnoxSwitcher.apk I found that it seems to be the apk that may be causing this problem. When going into res/values/strings.xml there are three strings that points to some of the alert dialogs that you get while trying to open the Secure Folder application which you can see below:

Code:
    <string name="sf_locked_by_root_device">Unauthorised software was set up on your device. Hence, Secure Folder has been locked to prevent unauthorised access. You can no longer access Secure Folder.</string>
    <string name="alert_msg_header">Alert</string>
    <string name="alert_msg_body">Secure Folder cannot be set up because unauthorised software was installed on the device.</string>

Now while heading to /smali/com/sec/knox/switcher/ContainerKLMSLockedActivity.smali and searching for const v39, 0x7f070025 you will see the code below which is the public id for <string name="sf_locked_by_root_device">:

Code:
    invoke-static/range {v38 .. v38}, Landroid/os/PersonaManager;->isSecureFolderId(I)Z

move-result v38

if-eqz v38, :cond_15

.line 263
    move-object/from16 v0, p0

iget-object v0, v0, Lcom/sec/knox/switcher/ContainerKLMSLockedActivity;->mContext:Landroid/content/Context;

move-object/from16 v38, v0

const v39, 0x7f070025

invoke-virtual/range {v38 .. v39}, Landroid/content/Context;->getString(I)Ljava/lang/String;

move-result-object v38

const/16 v39, 0x1

move/from16 v0, v39

new-array v0, v0, [Ljava/lang/Object;

Now while navigating to /smali/com/sec/knox/switcher/SwitchAliasActivity.smali and searching for .method private static showRootDeviceAlertDialog(Landroid/content/Context;)V you will see the code below which got both of the public ids from strings <string name="alert_msg_header"> and <string name="alert_msg_body"> which is the same alert popup message that you get while trying to open Secure Folder:

Code:
.method private static showRootDeviceAlertDialog(Landroid/content/Context;)V
    .locals 4
    .param p0, "ctx"    # Landroid/content/Context;

.prologue
    .line 600
    new-instance v1, Landroid/app/AlertDialog$Builder;

new-instance v2, Landroid/view/ContextThemeWrapper;

const v3, 0x103012b

invoke-direct {v2, p0, v3}, Landroid/view/ContextThemeWrapper;-><init>(Landroid/content/Context;I)V

invoke-direct {v1, v2}, Landroid/app/AlertDialog$Builder;-><init>(Landroid/content/Context;)V

invoke-virtual {v1}, Landroid/app/AlertDialog$Builder;->create()Landroid/app/AlertDialog;

move-result-object v0

.line 602
    .local v0, "mDialog":Landroid/app/AlertDialog;
    const v1, 0x7f070026

invoke-virtual {v0, v1}, Landroid/app/AlertDialog;->setTitle(I)V

.line 603
    const v1, 0x7f070027

invoke-virtual {p0, v1}, Landroid/content/Context;->getString(I)Ljava/lang/String;

move-result-object v1

invoke-virtual {v0, v1}, Landroid/app/AlertDialog;->setMessage(Ljava/lang/CharSequence;)V

.line 605
    const/4 v1, -0x1

const v2, 0x104000a

invoke-virtual {p0, v2}, Landroid/content/Context;->getString(I)Ljava/lang/String;

move-result-object v2

new-instance v3, Lcom/sec/knox/switcher/SwitchAliasActivity$3;

invoke-direct {v3, v0}, Lcom/sec/knox/switcher/SwitchAliasActivity$3;-><init>(Landroid/app/AlertDialog;)V

invoke-virtual {v0, v1, v2, v3}, Landroid/app/AlertDialog;->setButton(ILjava/lang/CharSequence;Landroid/content/DialogInterface$OnClickListener;)V

.line 611
    new-instance v1, Lcom/sec/knox/switcher/SwitchAliasActivity$4;

invoke-direct {v1, v0}, Lcom/sec/knox/switcher/SwitchAliasActivity$4;-><init>(Landroid/app/AlertDialog;)V

invoke-virtual {v0, v1}, Landroid/app/AlertDialog;->setOnCancelListener(Landroid/content/DialogInterface$OnCancelListener;)V

.line 620
    sget-object v1, Lcom/sec/knox/switcher/SwitchAliasActivity;->TAG:Ljava/lang/String;

new-instance v2, Ljava/lang/StringBuilder;

invoke-direct {v2}, Ljava/lang/StringBuilder;-><init>()V

const-string v3, "mIsAlertDialogShown = "

invoke-virtual {v2, v3}, Ljava/lang/StringBuilder;->append(Ljava/lang/String;)Ljava/lang/StringBuilder;

move-result-object v2

sget-boolean v3, Lcom/sec/knox/switcher/SwitchAliasActivity;->mIsAlertDialogShown:Z

invoke-virtual {v2, v3}, Ljava/lang/StringBuilder;->append(Z)Ljava/lang/StringBuilder;

move-result-object v2

invoke-virtual {v2}, Ljava/lang/StringBuilder;->toString()Ljava/lang/String;

move-result-object v2

invoke-static {v1, v2}, Landroid/util/Log;->d(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)I

.line 621
    invoke-virtual {v0}, Landroid/app/AlertDialog;->show()V

.line 622
    const/4 v1, 0x1

sput-boolean v1, Lcom/sec/knox/switcher/SwitchAliasActivity;->mIsAlertDialogShown:Z

.line 623
    return-void
.end method

I don't know what changes need to be made in order to get Secure Folder to work while being rooted, but i would go looking into the KnoxSwitcher.apk and go by the strings and code that i have found just to get an idea to get this thing fixed. Also i will be leaving more of my findings below that has to do with root that i found in other smali files.

Smali Files
/smali/android/support/v4/sec/knox/app/BackStackRecord.smali = Search For: sceneRoot or root multiple times.
/smali/android/support/v4/sec/knox/app/FragmentHostCallback.smali = Search For: const-string v0, "(root)".

There are other smalis just search for sceneRoot, root, and val$sceneRoot throughout the decompiled smali folder using notepad++.

OvrDriVE

Sep 8, 2012
Fresno
There are other smalis just search for sceneRoot, root, and val$sceneRoot throughout the decompiled smali folder using notepad++.

nice find @jovy23. wonder if the updated shealth apk is the same. cause it requires knox to even set it up and when it detects root you or at least i do, get some msg about android 5.0. it was a weird one i've never seen before. but samsung has added a ton of security and tryed to tie knox into everything.

Reactions: ted77usa

Root-Maniac

Jan 10, 2012
SO. Cali.
@215Aphillyated not sure the problem you are having, but I do know when I first rooted my device while it was in recovery and not seeing the files, I was able to take my SD card out put it in my PC and format it to exfat. Then Put the files on the SD card then put it back in my note and continue. The files were still NOT visible but I was still able to enter the commands successfully and gain root. If all fails just do "ADB reboot recovery". You will have to enter all the commands again but at least you don't have to flash the firmware again

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

galaxyuser88

Dec 22, 2010
On These Forums.
Folks, if you are having issues following the directions, then do like i have set up on the screen. Put adb on one side and the dirrction on the otherside. All you have to is copy and paste the commands into the cmd of adb. This way you will not have any errors from mis typing the commands..

Attachments

• pinnn.jpg
    pinnn.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

galaxyuser88

Dec 22, 2010
On These Forums.
Here:

did you do this step ??? Also make sure you are using an ext sdcard and not the main internal one..

Step 5f. on your phone, go to apply update from sdcard(this will mount your extsdcard as /sdcard and you should see the system.img file and the bbx file) do not select anything, go back to adb and continue(it is not a big deal if those files don't show. we just needed the extsdcard mounted as sdcard - the files exist, just continue to the next step)

Select apply update from Sdcard Use the vol down to highlight and then click the power button to enter.

511f4fab39ce1b1205667107614958fd.jpg

Leave the highlight on ./ then click the power button to enter and it you put you back to the main recovery screen.. once you are there then continue with the steps

b042e2ad1b16a62230852ffde268a98e.jpg

Last edited:

2015Dthomp1

Aug 17, 2015
finally got rooted. one question i have is how long does it take after flashing xposed through flashfire for it to boot up? ive been on the tmobile startup screen for 30 minutes now. also i flashed the xposed 86.0 sdk23 arm 64. i hope that was the right one to flash

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here it is. Full T-mobile With root, wifi calling, bluetooth and volte all working - since this is t-mobile based all bands should work as well

Updated to use API4 System Image and API4 Modem - MyMods has also been updated for the API4 System - Whatever you do DO NOT FLASH the API4 BL file. you will be Stuck on the new firmware without root if you do this as you cannot go back

To Avoid Repeat Questons. READ! READ IT AGAIN! and then READ it once more! if you do not Understand any part of this. Do Not Continue!!!

This Guide assumes you have some basic knowledge and is for advanced users!!!!!!!!
    This Guide also Assumes you have an sdcard inserted in your phone(however some of you may not and this will not work.)
    i will post an update to this guide when we have a method working for those of you with no extsdcard

Read this entire post before doing anything to avoid issues and FOLLOW Directions - if you don't things will not work right.

Note! if at anytime during the following steps you see the samsung boot animation before step 11. start over cause you screwed up!

Step 1. download the following files

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732237653 bbx.rar
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=457084094631641263 API4 system.rar
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24686680535467223 T-mobile APGC Bootloader
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862665245 T-mobile API4 Modem

Step 2. extract system.rar and bbx.rar and then copy system.img and bbx to your extsdcard(the sdcard you inserted into your phone)

Step 3. odin sprint userdebug firmware available here. http://forum.xda-developers.com/sprint-note-7/how-to/root-super-leaky-bros-sprint-galaxy-t3447202

Step 4. Directly after odin is done with the sprint file you will immidiatly be presented with an update screen
    Step 4a when this process of erasing your phone is finished it will reboot(this is the point you want to do the next step)
    Step 4b. press and hold power, home and vol up to enter recovery
    Step 4c If you see the samsung boot animation. you did NOT do this right and i would suggest you start over

Step 5. open a command prompt in your adb folder and do the following steps 1 at a time(these are case sensative)
    Step 5a. adb shell
    Step 5b. su
    Step 5c. setenforce 0
    Step 5d. export PATH=$PATH:/sbin
    Step 5e. mount -o remount,rw /
    Step 5f. on your phone, go to apply update from sdcard(this will mount your extsdcard as /sdcard and you should see the system.img file and the bbx file) do not select anything, go back to adb and continue(it is not a big deal if those files don't show. we just needed the extsdcard mounted as sdcard - the files exist, just continue to the next step)
    Step 5g. cp /sdcard/bbx /sbin/bbx
    Step 5h. chmod 777 /sbin/bbx
    Step 5i. cd /sbin
    Step 5j. ./bbx --install /sbin
    Step 5k. umount -l /system
    Step 5l. /sbin/dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/soc/624000.ufshc/by-name/system
    Note. you will see a blinking cursor. just be patient

Step 7. when it is done you will see something similar to this
    11161600+0 records in
    11161600+0 records out
    5714739200 bytes (5.3GB) copied, 268.668086 seconds, 20.3MB/s

Step 8. if all went well you should be at your prompt and not in adb anymore

Step 9. from your command prompt simply type
    Step 9a. adb reboot bootloader

Note! - if you still have odin open and the sprint file in the ap box make sure you uncheck it so it doesn't reodin the sprint firmware
    Step 10. open odin and click the bl button and select this file - BL_N930TUVU1APGC_CL8706614_QB10376889_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
    Step 10b. now click the cp button and select this file - CP_N930TUVU2API4_CL9115549_QB10937257_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
    Step 10c. now click start. it will reboot when done let it fully boot this time.

Step 11. once booted and you have setup your phone, we need to add the root files or supersu as most of you know it

Note! pertaining to Step 12. these instructions were taken Explicitly from @freeza thread which is listed in step 3
    Step 12. Now we need to add supersu and the needed files for it to work
    Step 12a. download this file - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732236679
    Step 12b. Extract the sun7 file to your adb folder making sure the files are in a folder called sun7(mine looks like this - c:/adb/sun7 and contains 4 files)
    Step 12c. Open a command prompt where your ADB executable and sun7 folder are.
    Step 12d. adb shell
    Step 12e. su - Note! if your adb prompot changes from a $ to #(you are good and have root access)
    Step 12f. type exit twice to get back to the command prompt. - Your Phone should be fully booted when you do this
    Step 12g. adb push sun7 /data/local/tmp/su
    Step 12h. adb shell chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/su/*
    Step 12i. adb shell
    Step 12j. cd data/local/tmp/su
    Step 12k. su
    Step 12l. ./root.sh - Note. this command begins with a . do not leave it out
    Step 12m. Your Phone will now reboot

Step 13. when booted back up go to playstore and install busybox on rails or a similar app and install busybox to /system/xbin(if your given an option of where to install it)

Step 14. Thats Pretty Much it. install any additions i have included if you like. most of all enjoy it

Additional Notes!

If for any reason you do a factory reset. you will break root and need to redo this method to get it back
    If you use shealth do not update it or allow playstore or galaxy appstore to auto update it or it will break it
    If you plan on running the debloat/deknox file you will need to disable auto updates in google playstore as soon as you finish the setup wizard or you will be uninstalling the apps that managed to update
    Note! Keep in mind that i remove alot of things(ie. allshare, knox, gear manager, game manager, tmo apps, google apps, facebook and alot of other things) if you need any of what i remove, you can simply open the zip and go to META-INF/com/google/android and open the following file "updater-script" in notepad++(do not open it with windows notepad as it will screw up the formatting on the entrys) you will see a whole bunch of lines that begin with delete_recursive, remove the lines with names of the apps you do not want removed. most of this stuff is self explanatory by it's name as to what it is and should be very easy to figure out. when done editing the file, save it. and flash the updated zip in flashfire. it's as simple as that.

Additional Files for those that want them(these are all flashed via flashfire)

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=385035244224381428 my modifications zip API4 Version(very minor mods to statusbar and a few other added features)
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24686680535467932 debloat/deknox zip - Updated with remaining t-mo apps i missed initially
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732237106 beats audio installer(this is a blue themed version done by me)
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732237109 Dolby Atmos Installer
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732237107 Viper4Android Installer
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732237108 selinuxmodechanger.apk so you can set kernel to permissive for viper(this is an apk. just install it from your sdcard)

My Mods Contains the Following Modifications

3minit battery
    battery bar - option is in rom control
    potato clock
    loud volume warning - toggle to disable or enable this via rom control
    network speed on statusbar - option in rom control
    aokp rambar in recents
    added some additional toggles
    ability to move the wifi and signal bar indicator to the left or right side via a toggle in rom control
    a few csc tweaks
    Applock Added - Thanks @TEKHD

FOLLOW Directions - if you don't things will not work right.

thank you to the following:

@freeza - for posting the original userdebug file
    @ted77usa - for testing
    @bajasur - for the initial idea which ultimately led to this
    @Surge1223 - for the busybox installer and the adb help and android commands that make this work
    @galaxyuser88 - for testing this and pointing out some flaws
    @Hashcode - for inspiration

and anyone i missed

this was a complete collaboration and is only available because of those mentioned so be sure to give them thanks

Big Thanks to @galaxyuser88 for testing the mods for me as i can't
    OK All. OP Updated with new method

enjoy and make sure you read, read again, and then read it one last time before you start

enjoy your rooted t-mo note 7
    i got it. t-mo rooted. need to do some additional testing. and simplify the process for all but i am rooted on t-mo

Screenshot_20160908-234706.pngScreenshot_20160908-234710.pngScreenshot_20160908-234715.pngScreenshot_20160908-234721.pngScreenshot_20160909-011816.jpgScreenshot_20160909-011851.png

please don't pm me for a how to. we will post the full instructions after some thurrough testing to make sure it is all working and we have simplified the instructions.

and for those wondering this does not trip knox. i have not tested android pay or samsung pay with this since it is rooted, i am going to assume they do not work.
    for those that don't like PI4 update. heres the original PGC files

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24686680535467933 - PGC mods
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24651430732237809 - PGC system.img
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24686680535467224 - PGC CP File(modem)

method is the same, just use these files instead of the updated pi4 files