[How To] Native tethering on Rooted Pixel 3 XL

Search This thread

Gloff

Jul 1, 2012
Disclamer: use at your own risk. I take no responsibility for bricked devices, bootloops, etc..)

I have a rooted 6P I keep around because I couldn't be bothered to unlock the bootloader on my 2 XL. Upon receiving my 3XL I unlocked and rooted out of the box. Did a little research, and tethering can be achieved using methods already available for other devices. This can be done entirely on the device. Confirmed to work with At&t grandfathered unlimited, haven't tested others.

Prerequisites:
Unlocked Bootloader and Root with Magisk(See the How-Tos here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-3-xl/how-to/how-to-root-pixel-3-xl-magisk-t3856712)
Magisk Module MagiskHide Props Config (available directly through Magisk)
Terminal editor of your choice installed on your device

Step one: Make sure you're up to date on the Prerequisites above.
Step two: Open terminal editor and grant SU access by typing
Code:
su
Step three: Open up the props config by typing
Code:
props
Step four: Select custom props by typing
Code:
, Select new custom prop by typing
Code:
n
Step five: type
Code:
net.tethering.noprovisioning
it will ask what you want to set it to, type
Code:
true
make sure this is all lower case it will then ask you to confirm with y and ask if you want to reboot, select y again
Step six: Open the terminal again and grant SU access
Step seven: type
Code:
settings put global tether_dun_required 0
and exit the terminal
Step eight: reboot
Step nine: test the hotspot and crack a beverage of your choice to celebrate

If you sideloaded an OTA and are just re-enabling this mod, Steps 6-8 should not be required. Quick update 4/17/19, just sideloaded the April OTA via ADB. That retained my bypass settings, and tethering works even after re-rooting with no other changes (not even build.prop). it would seem that unless you flash the factory image, you should retain these modifications (but not root, go figure)

Last edited:

micmars

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
It's a hack to bypass your carrier's provisioning.
I understand, I use it on my Samsung S8, it has natively, I do not remember if Nexus 4 (my last gadget from Google) had this ... Pixel 3 does not have natively?

Enviado de meu SM-G950F usando o Tapatalk

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL, #WhiteUIsMustDie, #EndDarkAppOppression

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
...Confirmed to work with At&t grandfathered unlimited, haven't tested others...
Thank you for posting this clear How To. It's got me wondering though... I've used the same AT&T sim in the last 3 Google phones and never had an issue with tethering. I use it all the time. So is this new for the Pixel 3XL or is it still dependent on the plan you have with AT&T? I hope it is the latter. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

motrac

Jul 31, 2012
doesn't work with AT&T/Cricket get:
"To enable, go to att.com/mywireless or dial 611

Last edited:

old_fart

Dec 8, 2011
it never rains here
I switched to "google fi". ( cheapest ? )
Their instructions say it's painless and free and can have ten bodies attach.
Wow, I can be the backup to run the office when the provider ( verizon ) goes down again ( and again, and again ) . . .

kingmikel

Oct 19, 2015
So I did this through the terminal on my computer, but I'm looking in the build.prop and I can't find the line it added. Do you guys know where it would normally add the line to? I have bypassed the tethering limit, I'm just curious as to what file gets modified

newman79

Nov 29, 2012
I believe there is a simpler way...?

root -> download fx file manager in playstore -> install root access add on for fx file manager (can do this right in the app) -> go into system root and grant it re-write permission -> in build.prop, add "net.tethering.noprovisioning=true" at the very end and save it. -> reboot and check for tethering access.

This worked for me anyway...keep me posted if it worked for you.

Gloff

Jul 1, 2012

root -> download fx file manager in playstore -> install root access add on for fx file manager (can do this right in the app) -> go into system root and grant it re-write permission -> in build.prop, add "net.tethering.noprovisioning=true" at the very end and save it. -> reboot and check for tethering access.

Full disclosure, I'm an amateur, this is literally the only reason I root. Once upon a time I did make custom monster packs for Razr phones and full roms for windows mobile devices, so I have some limited knowledge in modifying phones. I don't know where or why the second step applies, just know it needs to be done from previous experience. My 6P did not require the below step, but my 2XL and 3XL do.
Some carriers block it in another section hence the "settings put global tether_dun_required 0"
Just modifying build.prop does nothing in cases where the carrier blocks it within that other settings

Reactions: fyrmd

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclamer: use at your own risk. I take no responsibility for bricked devices, bootloops, etc..)

I have a rooted 6P I keep around because I couldn't be bothered to unlock the bootloader on my 2 XL. Upon receiving my 3XL I unlocked and rooted out of the box. Did a little research, and tethering can be achieved using methods already available for other devices. This can be done entirely on the device. Confirmed to work with At&t grandfathered unlimited, haven't tested others.

Prerequisites:
    Unlocked Bootloader and Root with Magisk(See the How-Tos here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-3-xl/how-to/how-to-root-pixel-3-xl-magisk-t3856712)
    Magisk Module MagiskHide Props Config (available directly through Magisk)
    Terminal editor of your choice installed on your device

Step one: Make sure you're up to date on the Prerequisites above.
    Step two: Open terminal editor and grant SU access by typing
    Code:
    su
    Step three: Open up the props config by typing
    Code:
    props
    Step four: Select custom props by typing
    Code:
    , Select new custom prop by typing
    Code:
    n
    Step five: type
    Code:
    net.tethering.noprovisioning
    it will ask what you want to set it to, type
    Code:
    true
    make sure this is all lower case it will then ask you to confirm with y and ask if you want to reboot, select y again
    Step six: Open the terminal again and grant SU access
    Step seven: type
    Code:
    settings put global tether_dun_required 0
    and exit the terminal
    Step eight: reboot
    Step nine: test the hotspot and crack a beverage of your choice to celebrate

If you sideloaded an OTA and are just re-enabling this mod, Steps 6-8 should not be required. Quick update 4/17/19, just sideloaded the April OTA via ADB. That retained my bypass settings, and tethering works even after re-rooting with no other changes (not even build.prop). it would seem that unless you flash the factory image, you should retain these modifications (but not root, go figure)
    Confirmed working on Sprint.
    Doesn't break fingerprint or anything does it?

I have been using this method since the OP on both firmware releases. I use fingerprint with no issues and have seen noting break as a result.
    Disclamer: use at your own risk. I take no responsibility for bricked devices, bootloops, etc..
    Happy New Years everyone :)

Full disclosure, I'm an amateur, this is literally the only reason I root. Once upon a time I did make custom monster packs for Razr phones and full roms for windows mobile devices, so I have some limited knowledge in modifying phones. I don't know where or why the second step applies, just know it needs to be done from previous experience. My 6P did not require the below step, but my 2XL and 3XL do.
    Some carriers block it in another section hence the "settings put global tether_dun_required 0"
    Just modifying build.prop does nothing in cases where the carrier blocks it within that other settings